School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Go somewhere else
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2017
Unless you plan on viewing your job as volunteer work, don't do it. Teaching is great, but this district will beat you down. My school building has asbestos, broken windows, a broken heating system, and I purchase nearly all school supplies out of pocket.
Nice place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 19, 2017
The School District of Philadelphia is a great place to grow as a teacher that provides many teaching opportunities all over the city. Working here has given me the opportunity to choose the area in which I work and switch schools if I do not think it's the right fit.
Loved working with students
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2017
A typical work day began with greeting students and meeting with staff about CSAP.
I learned that it still takes a community to build up, motivate, have success in the urban schools.
Management was great.
The hardest part of the job was parental involvement and going from one school to another.
The most enjoyable part of my job was having the opportunity to meet a lot of educators, working side by side with help for the betterment of the students at the school, seeing students graduate, reaching students through my words and actions.
Pros
Summers, Holidays Paid Off, Health Care, great trainings
Cons
Lack of parental involvement
Great workplace
Lunch Aide (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2017
Enjoy working there. You get to meet new kids each and every year. I have worked for this company for almost five years and I enjoy it each and every morning .It is more convenient for me.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Healthcare
School district of Phila. Is a great and productively is a great experience and enjoyable as well
School District of Philadelphia (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 7, 2017
As I was employed from School District of Philadelphia I enjoyed and was a great experience working with teachers and staff as well as children assisted teachers and staff with their daily assigned work. It was great experience for me
Great place to work if you love children
bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 6, 2017
I LOVE MY JOB I've been working at the School district of Phila for 7 years. The best feeling in the world is helping children achieve their goals....
Pros
Helping children
Amazing place to grow as a teacher and give back to the community.
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 3, 2017
I love my job with the school district of Philadelphia. The best part of my job is the students. The children of Philadelphia are sponges eager to soak up as much education as possible.
Pros
Inner citybStudents
Cons
No contract
Productive workplace
Supportive Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 1, 2017
Working with students whom require academic learning support for Math and ELA subjects. Learning behavior management during Professional Development meetings.
Work that makes a difference in the lives of young Philadelphians
Principal, K-8th grade school (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2017
The hardest part of the job is balancing competing demands. The most enjoyable part is making a difference in the lives of young people. Each day is different; the work remains interesting and a challenge.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
underfunded system
Conformity
School Police Officer (Former Employee) –  734 Schuylkill aveMay 26, 2017
Very useful much needed personal professional confidential community orientated easy to find practical economical indeed effective social media
Great for individuals with bachelors or above. other wise no beneifts
Intern (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 26, 2017
In some cases you are asked to complete tasks that are not part of your job description with out addition compensation. The workplace culture can be a little stressful and isolated. The most enjoyable part is to meet different people and try to make an impact in family lives.
Not safe to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 22, 2017
Substitute teachers and regular teachers not treated with respect by students especially in certain schools. Students should learn to respect teachers-school management should work towards instilling values in students to enhance desirable behavior.
Great learning experience
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 13, 2017
Great place to work but the hardest part was the 3-4 hour break between pick up/drop off. Great for those that live close to their drop off location. It's a waste of time for those not close because you have to find something to do during that break time.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
Waste of time if you don't live near you drop off school.
If children are our future what are we showing them
Student Climate Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 10, 2017
I wish the UNITED STATES WOULD FOCUS ON THE NEEDS AND WELFARE OF OUR CHILDREN AND LESS ON GIVING CORPORATIONS WEALTH. OUR children are suffering at the hands of adults that don't need the public school system. They lie to use cheat us and take us away from what is truly best for our families. All parents should visit their child's school for a week to understand my cry.
benefits
Cons
lunch
1:1 Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 3, 2017
They can make some changes, however productive needs work and its very challenging if you don't have the passion for children any job at the School District of Philadelphia is not for you.
Bus attendant
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 1, 2017
This was a very easy going job. It was great to be around kids and learning them. It was also good to watch them grow. Although, the school bus sometimes would be completely hot in the summer it was still a fun place to work
Pros
Summer vacation
Cons
No pay during summer vacation
School District of Philadelphia have a lot of room for improvement
Bilingual Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  North PhiladelphiaApril 30, 2017
I worked for the School District for 17 years as a Bilingual Guidance Counselor. I love my job but since the state took over the management of the School District we had a lot of negative changes. closing of schools, lay off and no contract. The last years were very difficult including the lay off of all the counselors and other personal. I was call back two months after the beginning of the new semester but I had to pick a different school. I was taking care of discipline, attendance designee and covering classes plus my regular responsibilities. I was not even able to eat my lunch. At that time I make the decision to change career. The best part of my job was working with the children and with their families but I did not like to work in the classroom covering for teachers prep and I did not like to work as disciplinarian because it affected my role as a counselor and my relationship with the students. It is a good place to get experience but the teachers need a fair contract and much more.
Pros
Health benefits, opportunity for advancement
Cons
No contract and you has to expend your money in materials
If you are going to starve otherwise, work here.
Technology (Former Employee) –  School District SiteApril 27, 2017
Incompetent management and staff, terrible technology - poorly implemented, wanton theft, ignorant, unqualified end-users, unmotivated employees, 'not my job' environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Character Developing
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2017
I am challenged everyday with keeping the interest of students. My job is to assist them in academic and character development, allowing them to identify with parts of their personality that will benefit them in learning and beyond. In part, I learn as well from collaborating with colleagues as well as professional development in different areas.
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Northeast PhiladelphiaApril 22, 2017
Principal was knowledgeable and supportive.
Other staff was a formative resource.
Parents were valued.
Ideas were considered to make the learning environment better.