School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

Steady work
Building Engineer Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2014
Advancement is based off of seniority and not hard work and effort. Resources are limited regarding job completion and supplies.
productive place to work/
NTA (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere occassional
Cons: disruptive student occassional
a typical day at work is dealing with stafff and student in hallways and lunchroom along with classrooms
Good benefits
School Nurse (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: all major holidays and summers off
Cons: paperwork, student followup
If you like working with children in a semi-autonomous setting, it is a good place to be.
Dealing with students on and off the bus. Also assisting students inside the schools if needed.
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), 440 N. Broad StreetFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: benefits are issued to all employees and ok with prices.
Cons: the fact the unions does nothing for you but take your money, supervisors are barely even known and replaced more then a little, and communication in knowing safety and regulations within the company are not explained well, if explained at all.
This job can be very easy and well experiencing when dealing with children who needs your assistance on a daily basis, but management/supervisors don't communicate well with their employees and don't have much concern with the children in many ways, such as safety, regulations, and acknowledgment of their conditions.
Unfortunate cultural collapse has left the District an empty shell of what it once was.
Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: higher than usual salaries.bonuses.
Cons: generally suppressive work environment.
I grew up and went to school in Philadelphia when it was an excellent School District and ideal town to live in.
Philly, like many large cities in the US became the target of suppressive agencies bent on the destruction of anything positive about the american culture. The school district was one of the most postivite aspects of the culture there and – more... has suffered enormously. Still, despite all of this, many excellent teachers and personnel continue to produce excellent educational products and hold the system together. The hope is that it will recover. – less
Great Environment
Guest Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: ecellent team work
Excellent place to work. Great staffs. It was the best 10 years of my life working on this place with lots of opportunity to grow professionally and individually.
Engaging workplace
COORDINATOR, CONTRACT SERVICES (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great projects and initiatives.
Cons: reduced state funding for public education.
The workplace is very engaging, dynamic, complex and intense. Every skill, technique, and experience will be fully used on the Operations side of the organization.
great people
Internship (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: 15 min breaks
Cons: i hate complaining.
Sometimes it hard to deal with people but when you know what you need to know, its fun and enjoy my time.
Great helping kids
Health and phys.ed. teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
Teaching and coaching grades 9-12. how to manage multiple personalities, avg. great, keeping kids on time and on task. coaching and summer's free.
Cultural opportunities abound!
Bilingual Speech/Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 31, 2014
The AFT backs the teachers in this city. The schools are diverse. Every teacher must be versed at differentiation. My multicultural/bilingual background certainly helped me.
The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job
School Improvement Supportive Liaison - (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with parents and stdents .
Good Place to work - Different School Cultures and Environments
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: great people, good work environments
I worked as an Autistic Support Paraprofessional in an AS class. It was a great experience because everyone worked together as a team. My co-workers helped me my first year to be the best teacher I could be and taught me how you need to care in order to get the best from the children we worked with.
Overall I enjoyed working in a school setting, with a diverse group of students, teachers, and parents.
Administrative Assistant, School District (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day included registration of students and maintaining their records. Keeping daily attendance of students and staff. Payroll was maintained on a daily basis to be ready for the biweekly pay schedule. Working in a school has taught me how to treat people with respect, you never know what someone's home life is like. I worked with many different – more... co-workers over the years including two or more secretaries in the same office. We all had our share of duties, but the past few years I was the only secretary in two of the schools i worked in. – less
Great place to get in touch with students
Support Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: one on one with being positve for the students
Cons: part time hours.
My day usually consisted of assisting the assistant principal with everyday lessons plans, supplies, orders and request from teachers. I would also go into the classroom and assist any teacher who may have needed an extra hand.
Place were you can get a lot of learning experience.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: rather not reply.
Cons: rather not reply.
Working with the school district of Philadephia had it's ups and downs,but I can truly say I learned a lot. I held two positions at the school district for 3 years I was a very good and dedicated to my jobs.
Teaching is not what it use to be
History Department Chair/Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: you get to help some really nice but needy kids
Cons: your health will suffer in the long run
Too much politics, not enough discipline or teaching. Older capable teachers retire early. New teachers run out of the classroom to become administrators. Creativity has been replaced by micro-management.
The School District Of Philadelphia
Substitute Classroom Assistant - Age Group varies (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 5, 2014
I was sent all over the county as a substitute. I went everywhere I was sent to do my job. It became a long term job. I then decided to go back to school to further my education.
Well written
Food Service Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: great working hours
Cons: economic advancement
I enjoy my work place and co-workers. How to do my my job better. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within the time period I have. When I know we had problems thrown at us but are able to succeed.
Working for the school district of Philadelphia was a rewarding experience.
Community Relations Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2013
Pros: working with students, parents, and teachers
Cons: red tape, and outdated policies
Mornings would begin with greeting all the children while they entered the building. Morning announcements were read and each day was different as personailities of the children and their parents are different.

The most important thing that I Iearned during my time with the school district is that it takes everyone involved within a school to enable – more... that school to thrive. Every staff member is an equal component of that school as each job is crucial for the successful implementation of the mission of each school, which is to educate children in a holistic manner whereby importance is placed on the academic, emotional, and social components of the child as well as their families.

There are various management styles that I have encounted during my time with the district. Collaborative leadership is the most effective style as a collaborative leader has the capabilitity to cause the staff to share in his/her visions for the school. It has been my experience that when staff members have the chance to collaborate together, they will take a vested intersted in the mission of the organization. A true leader is actually a servant in a business suit who is willing to do whatever it takes to enable a school to thrive

The hardest part while working with the school district was not being able to provide all of the resources that a family might need to help make their life easier.

The most enjoyable part of my experience with the district was having the opportunity to be in a school everyday and developing relationships with the children and their families, and hopefully impacting their lives in a positive way. – less
Good work place so far
Support Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2013
Pros: nice big lunch room.
Cons: sick days, personal days, vaction days etc
staff is very nice, a good place for the kids to go to school.
Teacher are very good with the kids.