School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

Working with special needs children is amazing
Autistic/ Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: set working schedule
Cons: not enough income
Assisting children with special needs with daily activities. Assisting the children with school work, daily life activities such personal hygiene. My co-workers worked as a team. I enjoyed being with the children.
NTA (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2014
I enjoy working with the children on a daily basis. The staff is very professional and treat each other and children as family.
Initially, a great work environment.
Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: excellent health benefits.
Cons: the present management has made many changes, that are not beneficial to children or staff.
The School District of Philadelphia, since the School Reform Commission took the reins, has changed drastically, primarily within the last 5 years. With budget cuts and new policies, it has become a difficult environment, for children to learn and grow. I truly enjoyed teaching; it is my calling. I loved watching children blossom into well-rounded, intelligent young people, whose creative abilities were just as important as their analytical skills. I believed in teaching the "whole child," as many of my colleagues did, and still do.
Lovely, and respectful workplace
Noon Time Aide (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2014
I think that they perform all requirements needed in the school board, they handle all situations lightly and understandily, they are always on top of every situation and always there to help and main tain a safe wok environment. I think the hardest part of the job is dealing with the differnt types of students personalities but you can manage just as long as you focus on your job. The most enjoyable part of each wo9rk day is spending time getting to know all the wonderful people at the school.
School District of Philadelphia not the best
Security Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2014
Cons: wages, benefits and lack of advancement opportunities
While working for the School District of Philadelphia there wasn't no advancement opportunities, no decent wages or benefits.
If you can find a job in another district, do so. The SDP is a trainwreck.
Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2014
A typical day involves doing the impossible with nothing. Expect very little from administrators and the central office and you will still be disappointed. The coworkers and the students are what made this job manageable.
It is an organization of opportunities and mentors.
Retired Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 5, 2014
Pros: professional development, training, research-based programs, materials and technology
Cons: frequently changing instructional practices, as it relates to content, delivery and assessment
I entered this profession with theory and dreams. I retired with knowledge, experience and success stories that were echoed by the students, their parents and my colleagues.
Productive and fun place to work.
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: friendly people.
Cons: healthcare
Friendly employers and staff. Loved the people. The most enjoyable job.
Good
Adjunct (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2014
I taught as a high school science teacher. I taught classes in both physics and chemistry.
Headstart
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 17, 2014
The headstart program was great. Management and coworkers very supportive. Most enjoyable part of the job was creating new lessons to teach the preschoolers and watching their growth.
A rewarding career teaching students
Autistic Support Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: horrible pay scale
Teaching special needs students is rewarding. The District holds you back from teaching what you would like your students to learn, Many of my co-workers deal with a lot of problems within the school. I'm glad I had the opportunity to help young people over the past 9 years.
Challenging
Apprentice Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
Challenging, inspiring, the ability to see the results in your work with the students.
Special Education Teacher
Special Education Teacher/Case Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
Pros: rewarding and enjoyable job
Cons: too many restrictions
Everyday the challenge was to get students to behave so that they can complete their work, learn, and achieve their academic goals. I learned that most children want to succeed, but when they are labeled and/or have learning deficits they can either shut down or give up completely. I learned techniques to help them overcome those issues using stern yet flexible classroom rules. I learned to structure the classroom that made entertaining but yet challenging. The administration sometimes supported the classroom teacher but occasionally a teacher could feel like they were alone in the classroom being confronted by intolerable behaviors of the students. Alot of times co workers come to each others aid to confront those problems. I enjoyed making the difference in my students behavior as well as the outcome of their success.
Great way to give back to the city of Philadelphia children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
Pros: healthcare, excellent benefits for worker's
Cons: bad working conditions, over work teacher, under paid
I love working with the children who need help and also the teacher's who wanted to give the help out. our children of the city of Philadelphia needs a lot of help and they do not get the help they really need because the class are over crowed, and the teacher are not teaching anymore it's like they don't care no more about the children future any more.
Would like better...
Special Education (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: the employees were great
Cons: lack of advancement
I would have liked to see a more fair and accurate way of advancing in the office then what I have experienced.
The District has experienced decades of turmoil and transition, making it an unstable workplace.
Social Casework and Training Supervisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2014
My work as a Social Casework and Training Supervisor was intrinsically rewarding, allowing me to integrate diverse professional experiences as well as utilize a wide range of skills.
n/a
Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 23, 2014
I love my kids. The best part is seeing the progress and know you played a part in that.
Lots of paperwork !
Family Service Field Rep (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits package
Cons: finding a place to work in the schools, no stability.
We meet with families of pre-k children, mostly single parents and grandparents, to help them to become self sufficient by identifying their goals and basic needs.
I have learned to seek out the resources that people need and to facilitate parent meetings and workshops with the community agencies.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping someone to accomplish their goals or to help them receive the help they needed.
Held many positions with the School District
Computer lab management (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 3, 2014
Pros: supportive, summers and most holidays off.
Cons: lay offs, program cuts, finacial instability.
Its a great place to work, each site has great people with whom you will respect and love working with them. Family and team oriented.
Hardest job I ever had, yet the most rewarding
Chief Talent & Development Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2014
Pros: people cared about the children
Cons: there were too many chiefs and not enough workers.
I want to assist the city of Philadelphia by hiring highly qualified teachers and administrators for the school system. Everyday there was a crisis. Putting out fires was a daily day at the district. Most of my co-workers had long tenure with the district, but were willing to try new processes to enhance their day-today operations. The hardest part was not having state of the art equipment, Working as a team was enjoyable, although we worked many overtime hours.

School District of Philadelphia Photos