School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Watching children learn and grow was a delight
Office/Principle Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 6, 2016
Very busy environment, many programs to initiate and maintain. Friendly staff, good students but with a consistent need of monitoring. Coordinated events, talent shows, outings, etc.
Benefits
Cons
Unruly students
Love an adventure
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2016
Loved teaching and having new adventures...I hated to leave but the district went UNDER NEW CONTRACT/MANAGEMENT for Substitute Teacher and this was the only reason I moved on....Pay Cut was to DRASTIC...
Pros
Loved teaching...
Cons
Under New Management
Enjoy working in a people friendly, competititive atmosphere where there is opportunity for advancement
Food Services Worker (Current Employee) –  South Philadelphia PAMarch 21, 2016
My current employment offers limited growth for advancement. Looking for better opportunity, wider open environment, better wages & employment condusive to my skills
fun palce to work with many perks
STUDENT SUPPORT AIDE (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 14, 2016
I was a bus attendant for 3 years, working with the children was awesome, I would help them with life skills such as eating, brushing teeth, disposal of garbage and speech.
benefits
Cons
union not very helpful
Eh.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Aside from the paycheck and the benefits there is no good part to working as a teacher for the district. They do not listen to employees or teachers, the students are out of control, and they don't place administrators appropriately.
Pros
Benefits, a good teacher's union
Cons
School Climate, Class Size, Budget, etc!
Great Learning environment
Food Service Mgr (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 28, 2016
great learning atmosphere talking to students about colleges and careers eating lunch with students and learning their names
Pros
free lunches out on all holidays
Cons
Short Breaks
fun place to work
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 26, 2016
The job was enjoying, i was placed at a high school, the kids wasn't out of control like i expected they were controlled pretty nicely. My co workers were easiy to get along with
Pros
free lunches, best health benefits
Cons
not enough money
Biggest accomplisment is the students.
Special ED One on One/Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2016
You teach and support the students but then you also learn from them too. The pride you feel watching these students grow not just in their bodies but their minds too. Having a student meet up with you years later as an adult to thank you personally for helping them is all the awards you need.
Pros
Witnessing the growth of each student.
Cons
Becoming close but then they move on to another school.
being a team player and having fun
Bus Attendant/ Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 7, 2016
assist the clients in their personal needs take them to appointments and shopping. i enjoy working with the clients and playing games and the hard part of the job is dealing with a person who always angry all the time.
gain customer service skills
Kitchen manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2015
Like working here when I was young its really fast pace but kept me on point I think its a great job for young adults or someone trying to pick up extra cash.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks rarely
Beware of cronyism
special education teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, USANovember 11, 2015
Be the friend of the superintendent and have the position of your dream, even if you lack qualifications, and a cart blanch to violate SDP policies and laws.

Excel and earn as many degrees if you have the guts to be humiliated and be destructively criticized daily by the principal who has 3 credits but most importantly is a VIP or an ally of her supervisors whose aim is to "charterize" each and every school in the district of Philadelphia.

The days of enjoyment are gone since SRC put their hand on the district and spent huge amounts of federal monies unscrupulously for their detriment.
Pros
free trash food, they call lunch
Cons
incompetent administrators, students haven't made academic progress in reading and math for six years in a row, students are at risk as school nurse is available 1 day only a week, no field trip and/or sufficient budget for learning and social projects
I have enjoyed every day working with students in all my employment.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ethan Allen ElemNovember 5, 2015
I report to a 3rd grade classroom. I am assigned a small group of students to support in the lessons at the time. Management is very supportive and could use extra hands in the classroom. Co-workers are friendly and willing to support each other when needed.
The hardest part of the day is watching students in conflict with themselves and others. It appears they have little skill in order to deal with petty conflict which occurs throughout the day.
The best part of my day is when I have been effective in helping students resolve personal problems and conflict with each other.
Pros
teachers and administration are supportive of staff and students
Cons
no enough professional support in classrooms
Summary
5th grade teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 27, 2015
I am looking forward to entering adult education field. I want to expand my horizons. While working for the district I have learned many different skills
Great District
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 7, 2015
I have worked for the district for two years now and I have been very happy. Job security isn't the greatest, but the benefits are incredible.
benefits
Cons
Job security
Enjoyable work experience
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2015
My time at the School District of Philadelphia was enjoyable. It was my first job and I was able to sustain it throughout high school and college. I was able to build a professional network and secured a job for myself once I graduated college. The people were great and the pay was good. It was a better place a couple of years ago. Funding issues have changed the work culture over time. Still a good place to begin a career.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
funding, lack of job security
What I love about my job is the hardest part of my job
Chemistry Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
Everyday provides a new opportunity for personal and professional growth. I have learned so much about myself, peoples' individual learning styles and needs. My co-workers are very supportive of each other. I love working with high school and college students.
Pros
Working in a diverse environment. Responding to different situations.
Cons
Lack of resources
School nursing keeps you on your feet
Certified School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
You never know what to expect on a daily basis. I love the kids! School-based staff are amazing and really support one another. Every year is different bringing new opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Learning how to respond to diversity among student and staff population
Cons
Lack of resources
Fels High School, a Great Place to Work!
Secondary Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 11, 2015
Fels High School is a most enjoyable work place. The students are particularly wonderful, as they are given to their opinions (as teens are). They have very creative and productive minds. Although in need of prodding and cajolery, they are most entertaining and are most competitive with one another in athletics as well as academics. The staff is young enough to facilitate the teens to young adults in all current and contemporary matters.
Last school year, the school came out en masse for a beloved teacher who died unexpectedly.
Fels is a high school that embodies the spirit to surpass all expectations. It is a great place to exist!
no advancement opportunities
Confidential Secretary (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 8, 2015
Learned a lot about local education. Very political environment. Does not share information about other departments and no real organization chart.
fun and productive at work
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2015
I love and really enjoy working as a teacher, but sometimes is difficult. The hardest part of the job is when the kids do not pay attention and don't do their home works.
Pros
free lunches, rewards

School District of Philadelphia Reviews by Location