School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

hours of work and summers off
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2013
Pros: summer off
Had several vendors that I had to make certain to be paid. Received the employee of the year award. Past experience was recognized by superiors and offered the position as accounts payable manager.
Very dedicated workers in a very challenging environment.
School Wellness Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: my co-workers and the students
Cons: inconsistent funding for public education
The district has been some of my rewarding and challenging moments. Working in Public Education is an avocation and not just a job.
Was a good place to work...now unstable
Analyst (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: unstable finances and greedy management
I was excited to get hired at the District. I thought this would be a place that I could grow and retire, but due to a lack of funding, it is unclear if the District will be able to function past December 2013.
Productive workplace and wonderful people to work with.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 1, 2013
Constant interaction with parents and children. This position was very fulfilling because I was always learning about resources that I was not aware of. These resources in turn allowed me to help the clients who came to my office.
Teacher Assistant
Educator Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2013
This was one of my favorite jobs. I thoroughly enjoyed working with pre-k children. The things young children can teach you is just as rewarding as what you give them back.
Productive workplace
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: days off
Cons: work to hard for little pay
A typical work day is helping children at 10 years old with multiple disabilities make it through the day. The hardest part of my job is lifting these kids. It is enjoyable when you see them with a challenge and they have overcame the challenge. Management is fine. I learned how hard it must be to have a disability like these children.
kids
Substitute Food service worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 16, 2013
had to get use to working with the high school kids being as though i was young working in the lunch room
A challenging day but you learn something new everyday
Building Engineer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
A typical day at the school district of Philadelphia could be overwhelmed some days but as a stationary engineer for the school district consist of maintaining the outside area of your facility making sure it's clear of debris.Maintaining maintenance on boilers,pumps,air handlers,air compressor etc., overseeing a general cleaning staff removal of lunch – more... trash in between lunches and maintaining and taking calls until my shift is over.What I learned at the school district was getting trained to get my class A certification and that motivates you to get more certifications like EPA refrigeration certification that I currently have as well.Overseeing a general cleaning staff can be challenging but I am a team player and I always pull co-workers together as a family.The hardest part of my job as a stationary engineer for PSD is receiving equipment to get your facility running properly could be a(n) issue because of finances with the PSD.The most enjoyable moment at my job is you get to work and see different systems throughout the city of Philadelphia as a young individual with a(n) class A license it's always something to know.You don't know everything just improve your knowledge more and read more boiler and airconditioned books . – less
Enjoyable
2nd grade Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2013
Each day provides teachers with new experiences. You are required to be professional and allow students to experience life outside the classroom. Give students a base on which they can build.
Everyday is unique and energized, very challenging.
3rd grade teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2013
A day teaching can encompass every aspect of life, and it is very exciting to see when you make that connection with another person, similarly to the sales experience, or corporate training. It is challenging not talking to many adults during the day however, as your clients are young children obviously so it gives you a varied perspective on daily – more... events. – less
Productive in any environment. Like to work with people.
Teacher/Special Education Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: share love everywhere you go.
Cons: never stop loving people.
I am an individual who works smaller and harder. I love to give back to my community. Enter to learn and exit to serve daily.
Education
Support Service Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2013
Assisting grade school children with their reading and math skills. A great honor to motivate growing minds of learning.
Enjoyed working with students and expaining how history works
Secondary Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: being paid to talk about the things you love
Cons: overbearing and intrusive policies of the school district
My day consisted of five classes, one of them was working with students with limited English language skills. I tried to make each day different, changing the lessons and activities.
Although I was the teacher, I learned a great deal about my subjects and also how to work with a very diverse student population. You are more than just a teacher, you – more... assume the role of parent, friend, mentor and guide.
My fellow teachers were great friends and a source of support when I needed it, I could always count on them and they on me.
Our last principal was terrific and looked out after us as well as the students – less
Education is imperative to life's successes
School Counselor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2013
Pros: summers off
Cons: short thanksgiving break
Life is a classroom. New knowledge is acquired daily enhancing your personal growth and fostering needed change. The hardest part of learning is deciding what is of the most value and when to use it.
Great chance to live my dream of being a teacher
Literacy Intern Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 1, 2013
Great initial experience working with kids in grades K-2!!
Supportive Services@School District
Supportive Services Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia,PaJuly 26, 2013
Pros: a challenging place to work
Cons: not enough help for the children
I began my day @ 9 a.m.I would report to the main office for any special assignments.I assisted the aides in the lunchroom with recess or an assembly during inclement weather.I learned that children are basically the same but with different needs.My coworkers always had my back and good people.The time of day that I dreaded was recess.At this time children – more... would pick fights and not go back to class.Once you got past this dismissal wasn't far behind. – less
Advancement
School Police Officer (Current Employee), Philadelphia NE DistrictsJuly 24, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: short breaks
To obtain a challenging law enforcement position with a community minded
department which allows diverse responsibilities and broad exposure to new
skill. To work in a challenging and stimulating environment with
opportunity to use my current experience and to enrich my knowledge and
enhance my law enforcement training and other various abilities. To
contribute – more... towards the achievement of organizational objective by applying
my professional skills. – less
A special place to personally grow and help others become productive members of our society.
Supportive Service Assistant/Noon-Time Aide (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2013
Nurturing youth through constructive instruction, being honest, steadfast and teachable. Creatively, working through directives of an administrator and many teachers, dean and many other support staff allowed many moments to be flexible and humble. It was difficult to leave students that were in need of , clothes, food and compassion. Nevertheless, – more... it was very rewarding when one or all of these deeds were accomplished and the student returned with a thank you and an improved attitude to learn. – less
A Day At School
Assistant Principal (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: good salary and great benefits
Cons: limited hours for school police and school nurse
My day begins at 7:30 a.m. I start with a meeting each day. The meetings are with ELL teacher on Monday, School Based Leader on Tuesday,Dean of Students on Wednesday,Counselors and Special Education Liaison on Thursday and Building Engineer on Friday. These meetings are designed to ensure that all parties are abreast with the expectations of the school.
I – more... then open up the school with the Leadership team. Morning announcements are given at 8:45 a.m. The day proceeds with classroom visits, meeting with parents and/ or students. I also schedule time to place orders for the school and check attendance.

As an administrator I have learned to delegate responsibilities to various members of the school. This gives me an opportunity to notice the strengths staff members have.

The hardest part of the job is terminating individuals. I try to inform all staff of my expectations and the various things that need to be completed. However there is times that some staff refuse to complete task, come to work or ask for help. This leads to more paperwork, meetings and in some cases dismissals.

I enjoy talking to students, staff and parents about projects. The students coming in to elaborate on an assignment that was completed. Parental Involvement in the school. Parents helping to make the workplace a better place. Teachers who step out of their box. Teachers who go the extra mile with out being asked to do a job. – less
enjoy working here per diem
Per Diem Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: good schools
Cons: variety of subjects
get a lot of calls to work everyday if needed. Visit many different schools throughout Philadelphia. Usually receive phone calls the night before or early morning.

School District of Philadelphia Photos