School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work experience
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2015
My time at the School District of Philadelphia was enjoyable. It was my first job and I was able to sustain it throughout high school and college. I was able to build a professional network and secured a job for myself once I graduated college. The people were great and the pay was good. It was a better place a couple of years ago. Funding issues have changed the work culture over time. Still a good place to begin a career.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
funding, lack of job security
What I love about my job is the hardest part of my job
Chemistry Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
Everyday provides a new opportunity for personal and professional growth. I have learned so much about myself, peoples' individual learning styles and needs. My co-workers are very supportive of each other. I love working with high school and college students.
Pros
Working in a diverse environment. Responding to different situations.
Cons
Lack of resources
Fels High School, a Great Place to Work!
Secondary Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 11, 2015
Fels High School is a most enjoyable work place. The students are particularly wonderful, as they are given to their opinions (as teens are). They have very creative and productive minds. Although in need of prodding and cajolery, they are most entertaining and are most competitive with one another in athletics as well as academics. The staff is young enough to facilitate the teens to young adults in all current and contemporary matters.
Last school year, the school came out en masse for a beloved teacher who died unexpectedly.
Fels is a high school that embodies the spirit to surpass all expectations. It is a great place to exist!
School nursing keeps you on your feet
Certified School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
You never know what to expect on a daily basis. I love the kids! School-based staff are amazing and really support one another. Every year is different bringing new opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Learning how to respond to diversity among student and staff population
Cons
Lack of resources
gain customer service skills
Kitchen manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2015
Like working here when I was young its really fast pace but kept me on point I think its a great job for young adults or someone trying to pick up extra cash.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks rarely
An environment that needed a team to bring it to life
Home and school President (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 19, 2015
Since this job was done on a voluntary basis with no monetary compensation, I would have to say it was fulfilling in the sense that I was able to utilize my skills to plan, organize, and create memorable events for students, family, and staff within that school community.
Pros
Great learning oppurtunity
Cons
No monetary compensation
Good job for starting out, but it won't last long
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2015
This job is good for a young professional in the field of communications media and technology. However the school district is not in the best financial position which means job security is poor and advancement will not happen. I lost my job with two days notice because they could no longer "fund my position." If applying to the district just know you should always keep your options open.
Pros
Management, Technology available, 1 hour lunch, Friendly environment
Cons
Job security, public uproar, constant demonstrations against the district and their budget choices
Rewarding position working with children helping them to achieve their goals both educationally and socially.
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2015
Working in education can be rewarding and frustrating. The rewards are seeing a student thrive and leap over hurdles in reading and math. The frustrating piece is the lack of funding that makes educating students extremely challenging.
People friendly and productive work environment
Teacher' Assistant/SNA (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 29, 2015
My work always starts with the smiling faces of the children greeting me as I arrive to work. I loved my work place. My co-workers were exceptionally pleasant people to work with. The hardest part of the job I believe is when you have to deal with some stubborn, know it all parents which I directed them right to head teacher or the principal.
Fun work place with kids.
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day for me at work consist of greeting students upon arrival and providing students with breakfast. Assisting with academics and preps also becomes apart of my daily work routine.Working with special education and autistic kids is different from working with kids in regular education classrooms. It requires patience, but you also learn how each student is different in their own way.
Large employer that educates children
Consulting Teacher, Office of Effectiveness (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 29, 2015
Large organization and employer that services the needs of stakeholders in education such as children, parents, schools and community members. Great group of hardworking, dedicated people who want to see students succeed.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
dealing with politics and low budgets
Seeing students learn is enjoyable.
Teacher - English as a Second Language (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2015
good place to work.students learn as expected. I enjoy teaching in philadelphia. Team teaching is recommended also. Homework is a must. All students must give classroom presentations each semester
Pros
Free non-teaching period daily
Cons
Discipline problems sometimes
Extensive Educational Environment for a Special Needs Teacher with multi-modal classrooms and wonderful administrative support.
Full-Time Special needs teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 16, 2015
I learned a variety of classroom management skills, with a large spectrum of students with special needs and to remain compliant with all paperwork and data tracking to show progress in all areas of IEP's. Goals and objectives for each student was monitored and progress was reported to administration and parents on a weekly basis. I enjoyed this job because every year I had an opportunity to teach to different students with every type of Learning Disabilities.
Pros
All Special Needs Educators worked well together.
Great Place to Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2015
I had a great principal and great staff to work with. We all worked as a team and helped each other out. I loved this job so much that I volunteered for pretty much everything. I also worked the after school program,Saturday School and and tutored students. The hardest part of the job was the paper work that had to be done outside the job on our own time.
Pros
Students and Staff
Cons
Paper Work
School District
School Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Ben Franklin High SchoolAugust 18, 2015
I work from 7am to 330pm everyday excluding the weekends. I have learned that in this job you have to have a strong personality, be consistent, and demand respect to last a time in the job. I love the comradery with my fellow officers in this job.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Working with the Public
A regular work environment with good health benefits
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2015
* basically transfer students to and from school and field trips.
* made sure my bus secure and drivable before picking up children.
* co-workers were great and fun to hang around and talk with during our breaks.
Pros
nice break while children were in school (if you have no trips).
Cons
pay was decreasing without true notice or understanding of why.
Leadership transition is ongoing
Director, School Improvement and Data Support (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2015
Leadership transition is ongoing makes it difficult for consistency and continuity of work. Limited opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Ability to assist schools on a daily basis
Cons
Leadership transition is ongoing
I enjoy working with a diverse group of people.
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2015
My typical day begins with reviewing and responding to voice mail, greeting colleagues, and families with a cheery smile and offering my assistance for their visit. Most of my day is spent receiving, reviewing and scheduling files for Hearing Officers. My other duties require me to data process and retrieve profile data for weekly distribution to my supervisor.
Pros
I am the only person in my position in these offices.
Cons
Sometimes we need to take our jobs on the road
Not too concerned with our youth of today
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
The public school system is specifically designed to stupefy the modern day youth. Substitute teachers are not given adequate trainings and are thrown straight into the fire. Homerooms are not equipped with working computers
My job was very productive and satisfying.
Learning Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 9, 2015
I always felt comfortable and satisfied in working for the district for so many years.It was fun to work in different schools. I grew educationally by teaching all grades from K-12. Sometimes , my job was full of challenges. It was frustrating to solve the problems and manage a class that had behaviorally disordered students. There were times , when my patience was about to run out but I was able to hold on to my patience and helped students resolve their issues. Autistic Classes were full of challenges. Resource Room in High School was the best experience for me. The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching younger students in grades K-2. My co-workers were highly professional and helpful. One day , an autistic student took off his shoes and refused to put them on. He was non-verbal so he could not communicate his needs. I had to call other people for help. I will never forget that stressful day. Overall , my job was very rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School District of Philadelphia. Our community is ready to answer.

School District of Philadelphia Reviews by Location