School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia United States Employee Reviews

Opportunity to grow as an Instructional Leader
Assistant Principal (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 13, 2014
As a co-leader of the schools where I served as an Assistant Principal, in the oversight of the entire school operation instructionally, operationally, and from an overall school culture and climate perspective. I learned how to apply my intrinsic leadership style within a variety of responsibilities that I managed. We worked collaboratively through a Distributive Leadership Model. The hardest part of the job was being laid off. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work that we did with our students on a daily basis.
Hardworking Early Childhood Department
Intern (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 5, 2014
I was an Intern at the School District of Philadelphia for almost a year. The environment was healthy and friendly everyday I walked into work.
Focused team of individuals working toward the goal of educating Phliadelphia students
College Readiness Coordinator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 3, 2014
The School District of Philadelphia has continue to guide my efforts to work for a strong student body in various schools within our city. The School District thrives on promoting a safe and nurturing atmosphere for all of the students attending our schools.
what's there to say?
School Counselor K-12 (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2014
Cons: layed off 3 times in 4 years- no security
It's difficult to provide an accurate review when I have been shuffled to four schools in four years.
Great place to work,with variety locations and assignments
Carpenter (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: limited state funding
The school system provided a wealth of variety to work and social exposure and travel around the city
Inspiring workplace environment
Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: the autonomy to incorporate literature/novels into my teaching to support the skills i teach.
Cons: struggle to cover material prior to state testing.
As a 5th grade teacher I teach all core subjects. I am also a teacher leader among staff and participate in several committees within the building. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a child's face light up when they feel pride in their accomplishments and enjoyment in the curriculum that I have provided.

I have my principal certification and would like to pursue an administration position where I can have an impact on a larger number of students and staff members.
okay
Driver (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: swangs shift
Cons: health care benifits
NEED MORE HOURS. COWORKERS ARE GREAT, MANANGEMENT IS OKAY THE JOB IS REALLY EASY SOME THIS NUT VERY HARD MOST OF THE TIME, BUT I LOVE IT!!
It's a job, career and family rolled into one
Dean of Students (Current Employee), Phila, PAMarch 8, 2014
There are several types of schools in this district but the leadership determines how things work and run. My current school has made a complete turn around and is now running like a well oiled machine.
Steady work
Building Engineer Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2014
Advancement is based off of seniority and not hard work and effort. Resources are limited regarding job completion and supplies.
productive place to work/
NTA (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere occassional
Cons: disruptive student occassional
a typical day at work is dealing with stafff and student in hallways and lunchroom along with classrooms
Good benefits
School Nurse (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: all major holidays and summers off
Cons: paperwork, student followup
If you like working with children in a semi-autonomous setting, it is a good place to be.
Dealing with students on and off the bus. Also assisting students inside the schools if needed.
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), 440 N. Broad StreetFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: benefits are issued to all employees and ok with prices.
Cons: the fact the unions does nothing for you but take your money, supervisors are barely even known and replaced more then a little, and communication in knowing safety and regulations within the company are not explained well, if explained at all.
This job can be very easy and well experiencing when dealing with children who needs your assistance on a daily basis, but management/supervisors don't communicate well with their employees and don't have much concern with the children in many ways, such as safety, regulations, and acknowledgment of their conditions.
Unfortunate cultural collapse has left the District an empty shell of what it once was.
Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: higher than usual salaries.bonuses.
Cons: generally suppressive work environment.
I grew up and went to school in Philadelphia when it was an excellent School District and ideal town to live in.
Philly, like many large cities in the US became the target of suppressive agencies bent on the destruction of anything positive about the american culture. The school district was one of the most postivite aspects of the culture there and has suffered enormously. Still, despite all of this, many excellent teachers and personnel continue to produce excellent educational products and hold the system together. The hope is that it will recover.
Great Environment
Guest Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: ecellent team work
Excellent place to work. Great staffs. It was the best 10 years of my life working on this place with lots of opportunity to grow professionally and individually.
Engaging workplace
COORDINATOR, CONTRACT SERVICES (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great projects and initiatives.
Cons: reduced state funding for public education.
The workplace is very engaging, dynamic, complex and intense. Every skill, technique, and experience will be fully used on the Operations side of the organization.
great people
Internship (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: 15 min breaks
Cons: i hate complaining.
Sometimes it hard to deal with people but when you know what you need to know, its fun and enjoy my time.
Great helping kids
Health and phys.ed. teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
Teaching and coaching grades 9-12. how to manage multiple personalities, avg. great, keeping kids on time and on task. coaching and summer's free.
Cultural opportunities abound!
Bilingual Speech/Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 31, 2014
The AFT backs the teachers in this city. The schools are diverse. Every teacher must be versed at differentiation. My multicultural/bilingual background certainly helped me.
The Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job
School Improvement Supportive Liaison - (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with parents and stdents .
Good Place to work - Different School Cultures and Environments
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: great people, good work environments
I worked as an Autistic Support Paraprofessional in an AS class. It was a great experience because everyone worked together as a team. My co-workers helped me my first year to be the best teacher I could be and taught me how you need to care in order to get the best from the children we worked with.

School District of Philadelphia Salaries

$10.00 per hour
First Grade Teacher
$74,000 per year

School District of Philadelphia Photos

City Hall the seat of our power