School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

Very challenging, enjoyed every minute of it
School Improvement Support Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 10, 2013
Pros: you meet great people
Cons: not having enough time in the day to be able to attend to everyone that needed help
Every day was different, new events, new situations with students, reviewing attendance, calling homes for students with no uniform and attending to parent that came in for resources. I learned how to stay calm in tough situations. Every one in the counseling suite were attentive and great respect for one another. The hardest part was to see some students – more... refusing to take advantage of all the resources offer to them. Being able to help so many families with their questions and helping direct them to the right place to receive further help. Every day was exciting and challenging. – less
Making a difference
Specail Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: having the student smile when they do something they couldn't.
Cons: pay
Each day is something new and enjoyable. Sometimes coworkers gossip which makes it hard to work with them. I learned to just do my job the best I can no matter what.
Enjoyable most of the time
Support Service Assistant (SSA) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: students and their successes
Cons: the budget cuts and staff cut
I enjoy working with the children especially in reading. I have been a Reading Olympic coach and we have won. The most important and greatness thing about introducing reading to students is that some did not realize that there are so many interesting genre of reading that relates to them today and eventually they will come back from summer vacation – more... and tell me about some of the books that they authors I have given them have written and they read them and discussion for a book club has formed, this is the most enjoyable part besides sports. – less
Rewarding career
Health Related Technology Instructor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 22, 2013
Pros: students, holidays and summers off
Cons: funding issues
I work with a group of dedicated professionals who are in the business of serving the youth of Philadelphia.
school counselor
Counselor, middle and high school students (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
Pros: personal connections
Cons: difficult bureaucracy within which to work
As a school counselor, both in middle and high schools, I enjoyed the constant contact with students. A typical day at work consisted of meeting with students, parents, teachers and administrators.
The hardest part of the job was the size of my caseload, but the most enjoyable part was definitely providing counseling to the students
wonderful days at Kelleys School
Teachers Assistant, W. D Kelley Elementary School (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
Pros: two breaks, hour lunch breaks
Cons: no benefits, summer job
My day at work was welcoming I had a one on one experience teaching children. I learned that taking things one step at a time helps you understand the task better. My manager was very helpful when I started he gave me a heads up on what to do and how to go about the problems. The hardest part of this job was seeing the students having a hard time with – more... their school work. I enjoyed seeing the students get happy because they were starting to understand their work, and when I was able to pass them to the next grade. – less
Not enough resources and staff
Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
The school district has only gotten worse through the years.
SUPPORT STAFF ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2013
It's never a dull moment. There are over 2,000 students with different personalities to deal with everyday. At times, it becomes hectic with the different tasks but the job gets done!
Hard work and time consuming, worth it.
Cook/Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2013
There is nothing much to say. A job that requires hard work and time. It was worth my time.
Productive and educational
Supportive Service Assistant - Transportation (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: no consequences
I learned that you have to be productive even when things are challenging. I also learned through experience that you must be a team player. I enjoy helping others achieve what they set out to do.
The School District of Philadelphia is unfortunately in a financial crisis that is detrimental to the system as a whole.
Consultant Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2013
*In a typical day, I support new teachers and teachers previously rated unsatisfactory.
*What I learn everyday is that everyone has his/her strengths and weaknesses. In addition, it can be very challenging getting teachers to come out of their comfort zone.
* I rarely interact with my co-workers because each of us has a minimal twelve schools so are – more... paths do not cross very often.
*The hardest part of the job is convincing teachers to changes to their instruction.
*The most enjoyable part of my job is observing teachers begin to own their classrooms and find their confidence. – less
hours of work and summers off
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2013
Pros: summer off
Had several vendors that I had to make certain to be paid. Received the employee of the year award. Past experience was recognized by superiors and offered the position as accounts payable manager.
Very dedicated workers in a very challenging environment.
School Wellness Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: my co-workers and the students
Cons: inconsistent funding for public education
The district has been some of my rewarding and challenging moments. Working in Public Education is an avocation and not just a job.
Was a good place to work...now unstable
Analyst (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: unstable finances and greedy management
I was excited to get hired at the District. I thought this would be a place that I could grow and retire, but due to a lack of funding, it is unclear if the District will be able to function past December 2013.
Productive workplace and wonderful people to work with.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 1, 2013
Constant interaction with parents and children. This position was very fulfilling because I was always learning about resources that I was not aware of. These resources in turn allowed me to help the clients who came to my office.
Teacher Assistant
Educator Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2013
This was one of my favorite jobs. I thoroughly enjoyed working with pre-k children. The things young children can teach you is just as rewarding as what you give them back.
Productive workplace
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: days off
Cons: work to hard for little pay
A typical work day is helping children at 10 years old with multiple disabilities make it through the day. The hardest part of my job is lifting these kids. It is enjoyable when you see them with a challenge and they have overcame the challenge. Management is fine. I learned how hard it must be to have a disability like these children.
kids
Substitute Food service worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 16, 2013
had to get use to working with the high school kids being as though i was young working in the lunch room
A challenging day but you learn something new everyday
Building Engineer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
A typical day at the school district of Philadelphia could be overwhelmed some days but as a stationary engineer for the school district consist of maintaining the outside area of your facility making sure it's clear of debris.Maintaining maintenance on boilers,pumps,air handlers,air compressor etc., overseeing a general cleaning staff removal of lunch – more... trash in between lunches and maintaining and taking calls until my shift is over.What I learned at the school district was getting trained to get my class A certification and that motivates you to get more certifications like EPA refrigeration certification that I currently have as well.Overseeing a general cleaning staff can be challenging but I am a team player and I always pull co-workers together as a family.The hardest part of my job as a stationary engineer for PSD is receiving equipment to get your facility running properly could be a(n) issue because of finances with the PSD.The most enjoyable moment at my job is you get to work and see different systems throughout the city of Philadelphia as a young individual with a(n) class A license it's always something to know.You don't know everything just improve your knowledge more and read more boiler and airconditioned books . – less
Enjoyable
2nd grade Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2013
Each day provides teachers with new experiences. You are required to be professional and allow students to experience life outside the classroom. Give students a base on which they can build.

School District of Philadelphia Photos