School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Character Developing
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2017
I am challenged everyday with keeping the interest of students. My job is to assist them in academic and character development, allowing them to identify with parts of their personality that will benefit them in learning and beyond. In part, I learn as well from collaborating with colleagues as well as professional development in different areas.
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Northeast PhiladelphiaApril 22, 2017
Principal was knowledgeable and supportive.
Other staff was a formative resource.
Parents were valued.
Ideas were considered to make the learning environment better.
Work
Classroom Assistant For Special Needs 1:1 (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2017
I physically assisting students with tasks like eating, using the bathroom, riding the bus and moving from one classroom to another. Work during regular school hours.
Productive work environment to work with children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2017
At this job I enjoyed helping and working with various students at different grade levels.I learned to teach different students based on their various learning abilities. I enjoyed working with students and helping them learn new reading and math skills. The hardest part of my job was dealing with students with behavior problems and disruptive
Pros
Managing my own classroom
Cons
Classes can get out control
Great School
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 13, 2017
School I work at is great and the children are great to once you get to know them. Everyone in my department work as a family and are in unison with one another while working.
Hard
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2017
Working without a contract is terrible and it is becoming a disciplinary school setting. Instead of a neighborhood school setting. Depending on your principal and school the schools can be wonderful or absolutely terrible. Unless you have it on good authority that the principal and school are ok be wary.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Little support work of 4 people
A great journey
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 3, 2017
It has been a positive journey working for the school district of Philadelphia. However I am ready to advance my career and move on the the next step in my life.
Pros
Positively affecting our youth
Cons
Not receiving a raise in 5 years.
fun work place
Printing Services Coordinator/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2017
A very good place to work for. A typical work day, 5 days a week and 40 hours per week. The work atmosphere is peaceful, everyone shares in the work responsibility.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Excellent health care and benefits
I like my job it's a good place to work if your just getting out of high school
Bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 18, 2017
I work with special needs children I love that but the school district needs more people who care and love there job. I feel that alot of the workers just in it for the money and not the children and helping the children and wanting a change
Pros
Great benefits health care some of the people are great it's a good job
Cons
It's no team work no working together on some projects
Enjoyable
Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 18, 2017
My position at the school District prepared me for growth and opportunity. The salary was competitive and the resources were supportive. Although the students were not best behave, they responded well to redirection.

Want to know more about School District of Philadelphia?

Ask a question
Nightmare
Teacher (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaMarch 11, 2017
Don't waste your time, it's one big nightmare from kids and parents to the worst admin around. There's no respect given on any level it's all a joke!!
Pros
Nothin
Cons
School District of Philaelphia is a great place to work.
Paraprofessional, Supportive Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 3, 2017
School District of Philadelphia is a great place to work.
Great benefits, paid time off for sick time, holidays, snow days and even summer vacation. Ethics moral an respect is well presented, last but not least the students are the most important part of the staff working for the District. The hardest part is getting ready to go on summer vacation, by the way of testing, cleaning out classrooms. The most enjoyable part is graduation and knowing that we have 2 and an half month off for vacation.
Pros
As a permanent worker, great benefits.
Cons
As a substitute, no benefits
Clean, quiet professional environment
Truancy Court Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2017
This job involved visiting the homes of students that were chronic truants and speaking with the parents in an attempt to correct the problems.
I was responsible for follow-up on the home visits and maintaining paperwork for each students.
Weekly court appearances to the district truancy courts were required and in some cases court appearances to Juvenile Court were required.
Pros
Ability to organize your day when you are in the field
Cons
Excessive caseload
Very good place to work
Student climate staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2017
It's a good job and you help a lot of students with their problems and assist teachers in behavioral students and respond to classrooms if there is a fight.
Pros
Great co-workers and great kids
Cons
Kids fight too much
There are some good genuine people here at the District but that has changed in some areas.
Declined (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2017
I've learned that children of all walks of regardless color, gender or religion need someone in there lives that will provide positive guidance. These days management is horrible due to the fact the District is ran off a corporate model which failing the children. Workplace culture is horrible because managers are not able to develop positive office relationships because they're not people oriented persons. Coming to work is the hardest part because I have the ability to do the job efficiently, interact in a positive manner and create my own positive atmosphere. Interacting with the children and their parent or guardian creating a plan for positive plan for success and they accept it.
Pros
The chance effect a child's life in a positve fashion.
Cons
Workplace atmosphere.
Great overall
Special education assistant in bilingual speaking (Current Employee) –  440 North Broad Street Philadelphia PennsylvaniaJanuary 24, 2017
Great experience one like no other great opportunities room to grow understanding challenges set Downs letdown setbacks hurdles Leaps and Bounds but most of all a lesson well learned something to learn from a leading role in bettering parents and ship communication team-building skills a great place to be employed
Pros
Salary benefit package
Cons
Working without a raise for 5 years
Ability to work in many fields
Temp to Perm (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 24, 2017
The opportunity to advance with the confines of the jobs were readily and available as long as I could do the job with minimal supervision and accommodations.
Pros
Awesome
professional workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2017
this is a professional workplace where you deal with parents and students all day long and have to answer questions to anything they have problems with
Full of potential but in need of leadership
Sp. Ed. Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  south Philadelphia High SchoolJanuary 11, 2017
Work day begins at 7:50am and ends at 3:54pm. There is no grace periods or over time for support staff.

Working with peers/teachers/staff is amazing and has the potential to be a supportive and successful family.

Leadership and staff management needs improvement in areas of communication, leadership, structure and compassion.
Pros
Working with greet peers/teacher, working with the students
Cons
No Pft contract, Poor managment
Why I'm not a Teacher Anymore
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2017
The students were challenging but also wonderful and my fellow teachers continue to be sources of inspiration for me to this day. The administration and the resources were crippling and drove me out of the profession and into counseling, where I hope to be more effective in a one to one basis.