School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

A challenging day but you learn something new everyday
Building Engineer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2013
Pros: benefits
A typical day at the school district of Philadelphia could be overwhelmed some days but as a stationary engineer for the school district consist of maintaining the outside area of your facility making sure it's clear of debris.Maintaining maintenance on boilers,pumps,air handlers,air compressor etc., overseeing a general cleaning staff removal of lunch – more... trash in between lunches and maintaining and taking calls until my shift is over.What I learned at the school district was getting trained to get my class A certification and that motivates you to get more certifications like EPA refrigeration certification that I currently have as well.Overseeing a general cleaning staff can be challenging but I am a team player and I always pull co-workers together as a family.The hardest part of my job as a stationary engineer for PSD is receiving equipment to get your facility running properly could be a(n) issue because of finances with the PSD.The most enjoyable moment at my job is you get to work and see different systems throughout the city of Philadelphia as a young individual with a(n) class A license it's always something to know.You don't know everything just improve your knowledge more and read more boiler and airconditioned books . – less
Enjoyable
2nd grade Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2013
Each day provides teachers with new experiences. You are required to be professional and allow students to experience life outside the classroom. Give students a base on which they can build.
Everyday is unique and energized, very challenging.
3rd grade teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2013
A day teaching can encompass every aspect of life, and it is very exciting to see when you make that connection with another person, similarly to the sales experience, or corporate training. It is challenging not talking to many adults during the day however, as your clients are young children obviously so it gives you a varied perspective on daily – more... events. – less
Productive in any environment. Like to work with people.
Teacher/Special Education Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: share love everywhere you go.
Cons: never stop loving people.
I am an individual who works smaller and harder. I love to give back to my community. Enter to learn and exit to serve daily.
Education
Support Service Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2013
Assisting grade school children with their reading and math skills. A great honor to motivate growing minds of learning.
Enjoyed working with students and expaining how history works
Secondary Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: being paid to talk about the things you love
Cons: overbearing and intrusive policies of the school district
My day consisted of five classes, one of them was working with students with limited English language skills. I tried to make each day different, changing the lessons and activities.
Although I was the teacher, I learned a great deal about my subjects and also how to work with a very diverse student population. You are more than just a teacher, you – more... assume the role of parent, friend, mentor and guide.
My fellow teachers were great friends and a source of support when I needed it, I could always count on them and they on me.
Our last principal was terrific and looked out after us as well as the students – less
Education is imperative to life's successes
School Counselor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2013
Pros: summers off
Cons: short thanksgiving break
Life is a classroom. New knowledge is acquired daily enhancing your personal growth and fostering needed change. The hardest part of learning is deciding what is of the most value and when to use it.
Great chance to live my dream of being a teacher
Literacy Intern Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 1, 2013
Great initial experience working with kids in grades K-2!!
Supportive Services@School District
Supportive Services Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia,PaJuly 26, 2013
Pros: a challenging place to work
Cons: not enough help for the children
I began my day @ 9 a.m.I would report to the main office for any special assignments.I assisted the aides in the lunchroom with recess or an assembly during inclement weather.I learned that children are basically the same but with different needs.My coworkers always had my back and good people.The time of day that I dreaded was recess.At this time children – more... would pick fights and not go back to class.Once you got past this dismissal wasn't far behind. – less
Advancement
School Police Officer (Current Employee), Philadelphia NE DistrictsJuly 24, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: short breaks
To obtain a challenging law enforcement position with a community minded
department which allows diverse responsibilities and broad exposure to new
skill. To work in a challenging and stimulating environment with
opportunity to use my current experience and to enrich my knowledge and
enhance my law enforcement training and other various abilities. To
contribute – more... towards the achievement of organizational objective by applying
my professional skills. – less
A special place to personally grow and help others become productive members of our society.
Supportive Service Assistant/Noon-Time Aide (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2013
Nurturing youth through constructive instruction, being honest, steadfast and teachable. Creatively, working through directives of an administrator and many teachers, dean and many other support staff allowed many moments to be flexible and humble. It was difficult to leave students that were in need of , clothes, food and compassion. Nevertheless, – more... it was very rewarding when one or all of these deeds were accomplished and the student returned with a thank you and an improved attitude to learn. – less
A Day At School
Assistant Principal (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: good salary and great benefits
Cons: limited hours for school police and school nurse
My day begins at 7:30 a.m. I start with a meeting each day. The meetings are with ELL teacher on Monday, School Based Leader on Tuesday,Dean of Students on Wednesday,Counselors and Special Education Liaison on Thursday and Building Engineer on Friday. These meetings are designed to ensure that all parties are abreast with the expectations of the school.
I – more... then open up the school with the Leadership team. Morning announcements are given at 8:45 a.m. The day proceeds with classroom visits, meeting with parents and/ or students. I also schedule time to place orders for the school and check attendance.

As an administrator I have learned to delegate responsibilities to various members of the school. This gives me an opportunity to notice the strengths staff members have.

The hardest part of the job is terminating individuals. I try to inform all staff of my expectations and the various things that need to be completed. However there is times that some staff refuse to complete task, come to work or ask for help. This leads to more paperwork, meetings and in some cases dismissals.

I enjoy talking to students, staff and parents about projects. The students coming in to elaborate on an assignment that was completed. Parental Involvement in the school. Parents helping to make the workplace a better place. Teachers who step out of their box. Teachers who go the extra mile with out being asked to do a job. – less
enjoy working here per diem
Per Diem Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: good schools
Cons: variety of subjects
get a lot of calls to work everyday if needed. Visit many different schools throughout Philadelphia. Usually receive phone calls the night before or early morning.
very well loved
Noon Time Aide (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2013
taking the children to the lunchroom to feed them and out to recess. playing different games with them. hardest part of the day is watching the kids go home.
Productive and fun
General Cleaner (Current Employee), 2000 Bowler St. Anne Frank School Phila, Pa. 19115July 13, 2013
Pros: my lunch is free
Cons: i remain inside the building until my shift ends
A rewarding and Challenging workplace with nice friendly people
plenty of laughter from the students. And all together A-Team of co-workers,I organized my job tasks as to what needs to be first prioty
My managers are very reasonable and understanding. The hardest part of my job is at the end of June 30, students last day of school.
Its very busy and – more... you are tired.Lots and lots of trash to throw away, and classroom furniture to be placed into another room for the teachers. Most enjoyable part of the job is when there are no staff
no students, or teachers or office personnel in the building for the
entire day. I therefore can get alot of work done with no interruption.
and also listen to my radio. I really enjoy working fulltime here and
the entire personnel staff are wonderful and very pleased to have
me work here.. – less
busy work environment
Apprentice Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: students
Cons: district policies
There was never a dull moment at the school. I learned a lot of patience and how to really work as a team player.
on-going professional development opportunity
Special Education Liaison (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 11, 2013
Pros: overall positive morale at workplace
Cons: not enough manpower but all staff were willing to go the extra mile for the student's benefit.
A typical work day consisted of managing caseloads, interacting with outside service providers, maintaining compliance records (IEPs and Evaluations), meeting with parents and teaching students.
Great pay and benefits. Good hours. Challenging work environment.
Music Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: great benefits and salary
Cons: challenging work environment and student population, few resources.
A typical day was busy with six or more classes, one prep and lunch period. Lesson plans were required every week. My one school was extremely organized. No noise was allowed in the hallway, and the principal was very supportive. There was never a dull moment and the children were fun to be around. I felt as though I was making a contribution as there – more... were some very needy children. I really enjoyed working with the autistic children.

My second school was extremely difficult and challenging.
The teachers in both schools were wonderful. Despite the challenging environment, they were upbeat and supportive of each other. There was much camaraderie.

I would go back except that I was laid off. The downside of working here. – less
Productive Enviorment
CONFLICT RESOLUTION SPECIALIST /DEAN OF STUDENTS (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: every employee's goal is to support students
Cons: funding/ high job loss
Wonderful organization to support the youth of Philadelphia
Productive and fund day
Program Assitant (Current Employee), philadelphiaJune 25, 2013
I learned who to trust in in a work place and who not to trust. The things to do. balance, fundementals of working in a big enviromnent, self control, to be humble. The hardest part of the job is keeping a job because you can be laid off at any moment. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with my team