School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Fast paste and rewarding work place, in classroom setting.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2015
A day at work is typically for the most part repetitive to the teachers, but not to the students.For example, students learn/practice daily life skills, such as hygiene routines, how to socialize with other children and adults, eating, ect. I learned working this children with multiple disabilities can become challenging but at the of the day I enjoy what I do.I also learned entry level of sing language to communicate with hard of hearing children. In addition, I learned how to use visual aids as a learning tool/motivation for the kids. The hardest part of the job is observing a child showing signs of being neglected, from home. More over, as a reaction sometimes the child would lash out behaviorally or fall behind academically. Lastly, the mostly enjoyable part of the job, is feeling the connection or bond you build with the children to help improve their lives for their future.
Pros
healthcare and the union
Cons
short lunch breaks and becoming sick when children are sick
The most enjoyable part of my teaching day is when a child who says "I can't " joyfully says "I can."
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2015
It's important to make the most of everyday! It takes lots of flexibility in a school district where anything can happen - schedule changes, staff absences and unexpected interruptions. There's also a lot of making due with what you have because supplies are often lacking. But, the important thing is to keep the focus on the children. The challenge of providing every child with a good learning experience can be daunting at times, but it also brings the greatest kind of reward when accomplished. The continued motivation for teaching is experiencing the children's success. When children grow intellectually, socially and emotionally and you know you had a part in it teaching becomes the best job in the world. Working with a staff of devoted teachers who become lifelong friends is another plus of the job.
Pros
winter and spring breaks and summer vacation and health insurance
Cons
out of pocket money spent on classroom supplies
Rewarding position working with children helping them to achieve their goals both educationally and socially.
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2015
Working in education can be rewarding and frustrating. The rewards are seeing a student thrive and leap over hurdles in reading and math. The frustrating piece is the lack of funding that makes educating students extremely challenging.
An environment that needed a team to bring it to life
Home and school President (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 19, 2015
Since this job was done on a voluntary basis with no monetary compensation, I would have to say it was fulfilling in the sense that I was able to utilize my skills to plan, organize, and create memorable events for students, family, and staff within that school community.
Pros
Great learning oppurtunity
Cons
No monetary compensation
School District
School Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Ben Franklin High SchoolAugust 18, 2015
I work from 7am to 330pm everyday excluding the weekends. I have learned that in this job you have to have a strong personality, be consistent, and demand respect to last a time in the job. I love the comradery with my fellow officers in this job.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Working with the Public
Seeing students learn is enjoyable.
Teacher - English as a Second Language (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2015
good place to work.students learn as expected. I enjoy teaching in philadelphia. Team teaching is recommended also. Homework is a must. All students must give classroom presentations each semester
Pros
Free non-teaching period daily
Cons
Discipline problems sometimes
Not too concerned with our youth of today
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
The public school system is specifically designed to stupefy the modern day youth. Substitute teachers are not given adequate trainings and are thrown straight into the fire. Homerooms are not equipped with working computers
My job was very productive and satisfying.
Learning Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 9, 2015
I always felt comfortable and satisfied in working for the district for so many years.It was fun to work in different schools. I grew educationally by teaching all grades from K-12. Sometimes , my job was full of challenges. It was frustrating to solve the problems and manage a class that had behaviorally disordered students. There were times , when my patience was about to run out but I was able to hold on to my patience and helped students resolve their issues. Autistic Classes were full of challenges. Resource Room in High School was the best experience for me. The most enjoyable part of my job was teaching younger students in grades K-2. My co-workers were highly professional and helpful. One day , an autistic student took off his shoes and refused to put them on. He was non-verbal so he could not communicate his needs. I had to call other people for help. I will never forget that stressful day. Overall , my job was very rewarding.
Leadership transition is ongoing
Director, School Improvement and Data Support (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2015
Leadership transition is ongoing makes it difficult for consistency and continuity of work. Limited opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Ability to assist schools on a daily basis
Cons
Leadership transition is ongoing
Large employer that educates children
Consulting Teacher, Office of Effectiveness (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 29, 2015
Large organization and employer that services the needs of stakeholders in education such as children, parents, schools and community members. Great group of hardworking, dedicated people who want to see students succeed.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
dealing with politics and low budgets
People friendly and productive work environment
Teacher' Assistant/SNA (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 29, 2015
My work always starts with the smiling faces of the children greeting me as I arrive to work. I loved my work place. My co-workers were exceptionally pleasant people to work with. The hardest part of the job I believe is when you have to deal with some stubborn, know it all parents which I directed them right to head teacher or the principal.
Fun place
Special Education Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2015
Working hard and helping young people learn. I am seeking to for another organization. Also looking to make a good salary and working for a organized organization.
Pros
working with students
Cons
pay
I loved working with the students.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 27, 2015
The School District of Philadelphia was dysfunctional and I did not want to extend my career there anymore. The district's upper management could not stick with one curriculum and and the constant changes were affecting teacher morale.
Good job for starting out, but it won't last long
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2015
This job is good for a young professional in the field of communications media and technology. However the school district is not in the best financial position which means job security is poor and advancement will not happen. I lost my job with two days notice because they could no longer "fund my position." If applying to the district just know you should always keep your options open.
Pros
Management, Technology available, 1 hour lunch, Friendly environment
Cons
Job security, public uproar, constant demonstrations against the district and their budget choices
Fun work place with kids.
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day for me at work consist of greeting students upon arrival and providing students with breakfast. Assisting with academics and preps also becomes apart of my daily work routine.Working with special education and autistic kids is different from working with kids in regular education classrooms. It requires patience, but you also learn how each student is different in their own way.
Productive and fun workplace.
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of staff meetings, learning environment,happy children experiencing a learning adventure and outdoor play. The hardest part of the job was breaking up fights and heavy lifting.
Great Place to Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2015
I had a great principal and great staff to work with. We all worked as a team and helped each other out. I loved this job so much that I volunteered for pretty much everything. I also worked the after school program,Saturday School and and tutored students. The hardest part of the job was the paper work that had to be done outside the job on our own time.
Pros
Students and Staff
Cons
Paper Work
Extensive Educational Environment for a Special Needs Teacher with multi-modal classrooms and wonderful administrative support.
Full-Time Special needs teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 16, 2015
I learned a variety of classroom management skills, with a large spectrum of students with special needs and to remain compliant with all paperwork and data tracking to show progress in all areas of IEP's. Goals and objectives for each student was monitored and progress was reported to administration and parents on a weekly basis. I enjoyed this job because every year I had an opportunity to teach to different students with every type of Learning Disabilities.
Pros
All Special Needs Educators worked well together.
Guidellines for Teachers
Business Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2015
SDP was a wonderful experience. The guidelines for teaching were regard with test proven rigor, yet, it allowed teachers time to address the individual student.
Hardest job you'll ever love
Certified School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2015
Wonderful staff
diverse population of students
each day is completely different offering challenges and rewards
supportive middle management
stressful working conditions due to lack of funding which causes inadequate staffing
lack of respect from upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School District of Philadelphia. Our community is ready to answer.

School District of Philadelphia Reviews by Location