School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

Great place to get in touch with students
Support Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: one on one with being positve for the students
Cons: part time hours.
My day usually consisted of assisting the assistant principal with everyday lessons plans, supplies, orders and request from teachers. I would also go into the classroom and assist any teacher who may have needed an extra hand.
Place were you can get a lot of learning experience.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: rather not reply.
Cons: rather not reply.
Working with the school district of Philadephia had it's ups and downs,but I can truly say I learned a lot. I held two positions at the school district for 3 years I was a very good and dedicated to my jobs.
Teaching is not what it use to be
History Department Chair/Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: you get to help some really nice but needy kids
Cons: your health will suffer in the long run
Too much politics, not enough discipline or teaching. Older capable teachers retire early. New teachers run out of the classroom to become administrators. Creativity has been replaced by micro-management.
The School District Of Philadelphia
Substitute Classroom Assistant - Age Group varies (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 5, 2014
I was sent all over the county as a substitute. I went everywhere I was sent to do my job. It became a long term job. I then decided to go back to school to further my education.
Well written
Food Service Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: great working hours
Cons: economic advancement
I enjoy my work place and co-workers. How to do my my job better. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done within the time period I have. When I know we had problems thrown at us but are able to succeed.
Working for the school district of Philadelphia was a rewarding experience.
Community Relations Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2013
Pros: working with students, parents, and teachers
Cons: red tape, and outdated policies
Mornings would begin with greeting all the children while they entered the building. Morning announcements were read and each day was different as personailities of the children and their parents are different.

The most important thing that I Iearned during my time with the school district is that it takes everyone involved within a school to enable – more... that school to thrive. Every staff member is an equal component of that school as each job is crucial for the successful implementation of the mission of each school, which is to educate children in a holistic manner whereby importance is placed on the academic, emotional, and social components of the child as well as their families.

There are various management styles that I have encounted during my time with the district. Collaborative leadership is the most effective style as a collaborative leader has the capabilitity to cause the staff to share in his/her visions for the school. It has been my experience that when staff members have the chance to collaborate together, they will take a vested intersted in the mission of the organization. A true leader is actually a servant in a business suit who is willing to do whatever it takes to enable a school to thrive

The hardest part while working with the school district was not being able to provide all of the resources that a family might need to help make their life easier.

The most enjoyable part of my experience with the district was having the opportunity to be in a school everyday and developing relationships with the children and their families, and hopefully impacting their lives in a positive way. – less
Good work place so far
Support Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2013
Pros: nice big lunch room.
Cons: sick days, personal days, vaction days etc
staff is very nice, a good place for the kids to go to school.
Teacher are very good with the kids.
I enjoy working with children.
Paraprofessional/ Noontime Aide/Office Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2013
Pros: working with great people.
Cons: none really
Has a wonderful working environment. The children are great and well mannered. The parents are wonderful, as well.
Challenging place to work and manage a diverse group of associates.
Accounting Intern (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2013
Challenging place to work and manage a diverse group of associates.
Very challenging, enjoyed every minute of it
School Improvement Support Liaison (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 10, 2013
Pros: you meet great people
Cons: not having enough time in the day to be able to attend to everyone that needed help
Every day was different, new events, new situations with students, reviewing attendance, calling homes for students with no uniform and attending to parent that came in for resources. I learned how to stay calm in tough situations. Every one in the counseling suite were attentive and great respect for one another. The hardest part was to see some students – more... refusing to take advantage of all the resources offer to them. Being able to help so many families with their questions and helping direct them to the right place to receive further help. Every day was exciting and challenging. – less
Making a difference
Specail Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: having the student smile when they do something they couldn't.
Cons: pay
Each day is something new and enjoyable. Sometimes coworkers gossip which makes it hard to work with them. I learned to just do my job the best I can no matter what.
Enjoyable most of the time
Support Service Assistant (SSA) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: students and their successes
Cons: the budget cuts and staff cut
I enjoy working with the children especially in reading. I have been a Reading Olympic coach and we have won. The most important and greatness thing about introducing reading to students is that some did not realize that there are so many interesting genre of reading that relates to them today and eventually they will come back from summer vacation – more... and tell me about some of the books that they authors I have given them have written and they read them and discussion for a book club has formed, this is the most enjoyable part besides sports. – less
Rewarding career
Health Related Technology Instructor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 22, 2013
Pros: students, holidays and summers off
Cons: funding issues
I work with a group of dedicated professionals who are in the business of serving the youth of Philadelphia.
school counselor
Counselor, middle and high school students (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
Pros: personal connections
Cons: difficult bureaucracy within which to work
As a school counselor, both in middle and high schools, I enjoyed the constant contact with students. A typical day at work consisted of meeting with students, parents, teachers and administrators.
The hardest part of the job was the size of my caseload, but the most enjoyable part was definitely providing counseling to the students
wonderful days at Kelleys School
Teachers Assistant, W. D Kelley Elementary School (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
Pros: two breaks, hour lunch breaks
Cons: no benefits, summer job
My day at work was welcoming I had a one on one experience teaching children. I learned that taking things one step at a time helps you understand the task better. My manager was very helpful when I started he gave me a heads up on what to do and how to go about the problems. The hardest part of this job was seeing the students having a hard time with – more... their school work. I enjoyed seeing the students get happy because they were starting to understand their work, and when I was able to pass them to the next grade. – less
Not enough resources and staff
Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2013
The school district has only gotten worse through the years.
SUPPORT STAFF ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2013
It's never a dull moment. There are over 2,000 students with different personalities to deal with everyday. At times, it becomes hectic with the different tasks but the job gets done!
Hard work and time consuming, worth it.
Cook/Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2013
There is nothing much to say. A job that requires hard work and time. It was worth my time.
Productive and educational
Supportive Service Assistant - Transportation (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: no consequences
I learned that you have to be productive even when things are challenging. I also learned through experience that you must be a team player. I enjoy helping others achieve what they set out to do.
The School District of Philadelphia is unfortunately in a financial crisis that is detrimental to the system as a whole.
Consultant Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2013
*In a typical day, I support new teachers and teachers previously rated unsatisfactory.
*What I learn everyday is that everyone has his/her strengths and weaknesses. In addition, it can be very challenging getting teachers to come out of their comfort zone.
* I rarely interact with my co-workers because each of us has a minimal twelve schools so are – more... paths do not cross very often.
*The hardest part of the job is convincing teachers to changes to their instruction.
*The most enjoyable part of my job is observing teachers begin to own their classrooms and find their confidence. – less

School District of Philadelphia Photos