School Specialty, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIAugust 29, 2017
Overall, ,School Specialty is a good place to work. As they grow and attempt to capture more market share, they are going through the normal bumps and bruises along the way. I manage a group of 12 TSMs and the biggest grip is the compensation plan. I feel that one great way to enhance the plan would be to move away from bonuses and focus on a commission plan based on a percentage of Gross Profit dollars that the individual TSM's generate.
Disorganized
Inside Sales/ Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIAugust 28, 2017
Disorganized place to work with no raises. Capped commission, not much room for advancement. Company doesn't feel stable as they have filed bankruptcy in the past.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No raises and capped commission
Good Company, certian managers have issues
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIAugust 17, 2017
Good company, but there are certain managers that have favorites and if you aren't one of them, they look for reasons to fire you and have their favorites collaborate their story, whether true or not.
Horrible
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAAugust 7, 2017
I was kept as a temp for 4 years because they couldn't hire anyone else on. They did t do a single full time hire I was there and multiple people left. The only reason I stayed was for the experience.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Pay
Fun
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSJuly 24, 2017
Fun place to work. Your co workers make the day go by faster. Very chill and laid back. Not much room for advancement but a good temporary job during the summer
Sales Position that offers Challenges and Rewards.
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 16, 2017
The company was at one time an exciting family run company that offered growth through high quality products, service and support.

After being purchased the mindset changed dramatically we the field people losing the drive of being a "top producer" due to cuts in territory, commissions and bonuses.
Sales
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 29, 2017
Broken down into thirteen divisions with over a hundred thousand products. Carries everything an educational facility would need besides electronic devices.
Fun place to work
Order Picker/ woodworking (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 23, 2017
I wish I wouldn't have been kept a temporary employee, but the job was awesome. The people I worked with were awesome and made the job fun. Wish they hire people through the company though
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Temp job
Good place to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJune 23, 2017
Worked in various jobs in the company. Came in as a temp. and was hired in full time. Worked in the bid department great job, customer service and also in the warehouse.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Having to work late
review
Picker (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 22, 2017
My overall review is the job were easy. They needed pay increase. They needed more benefits. Also needed to have job advancements. They needed to cross training in each department.
Pros
easy job tasks
Cons
job advancements
ok place
Customer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 21, 2017
Ok place to work. Alot of changes. The people are great to work with. The supplies are of good quality and at a reasonable price. Overall it was a good experience to work with this company.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 20, 2017
Good place to work with good benefits and nice people. The compensation could be better. Management is easy to talk to and very understanding. I enjoy working here for almost 2 years!
Cons
compensation, lunch hours
not great
BOX FILLER/FREIGHT WORKER (Former Employee) –  100 Paragon Pkwy, Mansfield, OH 44903June 14, 2017
Wasn't a fan of my time at school specialty. Although I can not personally speak for everyone. there is often either 2 much or to little work. never consistent. High turnover. Poor management.
An Alright Factory Job
Seasonal Filler (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJune 11, 2017
It pays you what you want, but the breaks aren't done well enough. The building is too hot during the summer. The workers should be able to have one earphone in their ear to work to pass the time.
Company had financial difficulties.
Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 4, 2017
Not a bad company to work for. When my associate left the company I left shortly after. I didn't want to do everything myself. Performance is paramount here. I learned much during my stay.
Fun pharmacy position
Facilities Management Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIMay 31, 2017
I mostly worked as a cashier at the front of the pharmacy so I would interact with customers who were occasionally upset and difficult. It was very fast paced at times so what I really learned from the job was that I didn't want to go into pharmacy as a career.
Pros
free lunches on weekends
Cons
customer service
It was a productive and fun place to work.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 25, 2017
This is a good place to work. The people you work with are very nice.
They are a growing company and their product selection is very broad. Working with teachers is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
They sell a wide variaty of products.
Cons
Lack of customer service direction at the top
Great opportunity from start to finish!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMay 24, 2017
I had a great career with School Specialty, enjoyed my position, great colleagues, friends and peers. It is time for a new beginning, and look forward to opening new doors!
Pros
Good Company
very interesting
quickbook accountant (Former Employee) –  at homeMay 23, 2017
very detailed oriented and it is not the same every day so it's always fun to work in a place like that.
you are constantly learning and growing your career
avoid careless mistakes by paying attention to detail
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Nesbit, MSMay 22, 2017
get my order from supervisor and start pulling orders.I learned that paying attention to detail can help you avoid a lot of careless mistakes. The culture of the workplace was inviting and fun. the hardest part of the job is when other employees don't pull their fair share of the workload. The most enjoyable part of the job is being a team player.
Pros
being a team player
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8