School Specialty, Inc Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced, fun job, but very stressful.
Seasonal Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 5, 2015
A typical day at work is pulling orders for customers and trying to get them to customer on time. I learned how to work hard in a very fast paced environment. Management was a little under par in my opinion. The company has changed management over the years multiple times and do not have much communication. The co-workers were the best part of the job. I enjoyed it the most. The hardest part of the job was the physical labor itself in a hot warehouse. It just made you keep hydrated.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
No notice on overtime, No flexibiltiy, forcing associates to do lead/management jobs without compensation
Great Workplace
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 4, 2013
I spent 8 years working as a distribution associate at School Specialty. Over the years I had an array of responsibilities. Data entry, receiving, shipping, and managing a small team were just a few of the jobs I did there. I enjoyed that the company always wanted to train me to work in another area of the distribution center. At times, they even sent me to other distribution centers to assist with training. My management team was great. When I first started I noticed that a lot of the management worked their way up from the bottom. During my past couple of years there, S.S. started hiring any young person fresh out of college with no distribution experience that me and my coworkers would have to train. There was a strong team environment. I could always find a helping hand when needed. Pay was good for the area I lived in. There was a good amount of PTO and vacation days. I miss this job. It felt like I was definitely part of a family there.
Making kits for schools if very rewarding
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  80 Northwest Blvd Nashua, NHMarch 30, 2015
Planning production and working towards customer expectations was enjoyable. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge that I can use in future endeavors. Coworkers were all wonderful.
Pros
Rewarding products, great place to work
Cons
To many layoffs
Good place to work - friendly environment
Seasonal Bid Rep (Current Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAJune 23, 2012
Seasonal job. Very busy. Everyone works together extremely well.
Very laid-back place to work.
Pros
very friendley environment
Cons
no benefits. (seasonal work)
Fun company to be apart of.
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WisconsinDecember 17, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3