School Specialty, Inc Employee Reviews

Great opportunity from start to finish!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMay 24, 2017
I had a great career with School Specialty, enjoyed my position, great colleagues, friends and peers. It is time for a new beginning, and look forward to opening new doors!
Pros
Good Company
great place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSApril 20, 2017
great place to work, management was awesome and the employees were not hard to deal with. I would probably still be there if the company hadn't closed the location
Moving in the right direction
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIFebruary 10, 2017
The company is going through a lot of exciting changes right now. The hardest part of the job is the inaccurate data. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.
Pros
Flexible schedules, freedom to get your work done without micro-management
Cons
Poor 401k match, rigid data structures that are impossible to correct
School Specialty has turned around
Vice President of Sales, West (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 10, 2017
School Specialty was in and out of bankruptcy by mid 2013. The investors wanted to change management to realign the efforts, processes and sales teams towards a profitable, well run organization.
This has been accomplished.
The newest regime has now taken the reigns and is looking for investors that are "Post Turnaround" and while this is happening they are bringing in their own managers from past companies.
There are good and dedicated people at this company who really care about our nation's students.
School Specialty is the best option for our schools to find the materials they need to provide teachers the workspace to educate. I believe they will be a long term survivor in this marketspace.
Pros
Dedicated employees
The best place I ever worked at so far in my life!
Customer Phone Advocate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIApril 9, 2015
Productive, fun and exciting place to work with my bosses and peers, plus servicing customers! It was busy most of the time even during the slow season. I loved working in a fast paced, family environment! I loved working there, and helping all the customers and sales representatives! Worked out of my home with no supervision, which helped being late due to the winter and able to work when I was sick! I loved and enjoyed everything about my job. There truly was no hard part, except when I could not replace a product due to out of warranty. I was laid off due to job elimination and outsourced to the Philippines. Otherwise, I would still be there! I will truly miss that job, my co-workers, and even my supervisors/managers!
Pros
Was able to work from home
Cons
Fast paced, fun job, but very stressful.
Seasonal Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 5, 2015
A typical day at work is pulling orders for customers and trying to get them to customer on time. I learned how to work hard in a very fast paced environment. Management was a little under par in my opinion. The company has changed management over the years multiple times and do not have much communication. The co-workers were the best part of the job. I enjoyed it the most. The hardest part of the job was the physical labor itself in a hot warehouse. It just made you keep hydrated.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
No notice on overtime, No flexibiltiy, forcing associates to do lead/management jobs without compensation
Making kits for schools if very rewarding
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  80 Northwest Blvd Nashua, NHMarch 30, 2015
Planning production and working towards customer expectations was enjoyable. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge that I can use in future endeavors. Coworkers were all wonderful.
Pros
Rewarding products, great place to work
Cons
To many layoffs
Fun company to be apart of.
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WisconsinDecember 17, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Great Workplace
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 4, 2013
I spent 8 years working as a distribution associate at School Specialty. Over the years I had an array of responsibilities. Data entry, receiving, shipping, and managing a small team were just a few of the jobs I did there. I enjoyed that the company always wanted to train me to work in another area of the distribution center. At times, they even sent me to other distribution centers to assist with training. My management team was great. When I first started I noticed that a lot of the management worked their way up from the bottom. During my past couple of years there, S.S. started hiring any young person fresh out of college with no distribution experience that me and my coworkers would have to train. There was a strong team environment. I could always find a helping hand when needed. Pay was good for the area I lived in. There was a good amount of PTO and vacation days. I miss this job. It felt like I was definitely part of a family there.
Good place to work - friendly environment
Seasonal Bid Rep (Current Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAJune 23, 2012
Seasonal job. Very busy. Everyone works together extremely well.
Very laid-back place to work.
Pros
very friendley environment
Cons
no benefits. (seasonal work)

Want to know more about School Specialty, Inc?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2