School Specialty Employee Reviews

The Norcross Georgia office was a terrific place to work.
National Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJuly 17, 2016
Managed a sales force of 250 and 25 account managers throughout the United States and Canada. Ran the day to day operations of the aforementioned sales force and account managers. Management was quite difficult to work with as they had no clue as how to do what I hired to do therefore I spent a lot of unnecessary time trying to explain why I was doing what I was doing. My co-workers in the Norcross, Georgia office were fantastic...great group! The hardest part of the job was dealing with the pencil pushers at corporate. Again they hired me TO DO A JOB and due the fact that THEY HAD NO CLUE how to do my job were constantly putting up barriers that I had to breakdown. Which I did! And the section of the company that I worked for was successful because of it. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with my sales force and account managers. But the best part was dealing with my bid team in Norcross, Georgia!
Productive workplace, wellness oriented, with a popcorn machince in the lunch room
Wellness Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 8, 2016
A typical day I worked on the computer with multiple programs to create supportive materials for the employee wellness program I created and implemented.I learned a great deal about planning and implementing programs. My supervisor was highly impressed by the work I performed and gave me little guidance when tackling new tasks. My co-workers were very helpful when I had questions and my supervisor was out of town. The hardest part of the job was communicating with the whole wellness committee and trying to get them to approve of the materials I created. The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing from employees how much the program helped them get active and that my work was greatly appreciated.
Pros
Work Culture, team environment, wellness committee
Cons
limited one-on-one interaction
Positive working environment
Territory Sales Manager / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  LA/TXApril 13, 2016
Make regular sales calls. Create competitive responses to opportunities in the market. Collaborate with co-workers to develop go to market strategies. Assist customer service with on-going customer issues. Hardest part of job is operating effectively in an environment with a large volume of both long and short sales cycle opportunities actively in play. The most enjoyable part of the job is developing long term relationships with key customers, and working with co-workers to capture and complete all size sales; from small orders to large complex installation projects. It's a good company.
Pros
Solid managers with good set of tools to work with.
Cons
Health insurance was difficult to navigate and work with.
Great opportunity, however needs more support and training to meet the companies high expectations.
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 11, 2016
A company that is consistently changing infrastructure to find the correct fit.

A company that owns various divisions and is working towards giving attention to all divisions equally.

A typical day can be 3-5 appointments with educational decision makers, conference set up, marketing from home for the day.

The hardest part is the changes and not supplemental the changes with support.

The best part of the job is that each day is a new day.
Pros
Good Products and Opportunities
Cons
Not enough inside support to maximize the Regional Managers Time and Efforts
Used to be a great place to work
office (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 13, 2015
People are great! Management not so much. The morale in the company was extremely low. Management didn't care much about the people who actually did the work. They expected everyone to take on more responsibilities with NO pay raises in over 5 years! The health insurance was very expensive and it did not cover much other than preventative care. The company wanted more and more from the employees but never gave us anything in return.... even took away our 401k match!
Pros
The hard-working people who gave blood, sweat and tears for their jobs
Cons
management, benefits, morale
Layoffs, Furloughs, Lack of Direction
Order Entry/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJanuary 6, 2015
Was hired to do Order Entry of orders faxed and emailed to company (no phones which I preferred). A few months later answer phones forced on Order Entry team with no increased pay for the increased responsibilties.

Furloughs forced throughout.
0 raises if you didnt change position.

Multiple waves of layoffs, including an order entry team layoff in early 2014 which felt highly unnecessary. Many paper duties were outsourced but phones were still busy enough to keep people (including my own layoff being dragged out for weeks because they "weren't ready" for full transition). Turnover in dept had been high in all my years, they could have let people leave on their terms and not replaced if not needed, would have only taken a couple months tops.

Layoff process included VP reading a letter then leaving an HR lackey to handle out questions. Incredible lack of respect from man who made decision to negatively affect multiple lives.

Company has 0 direction, avoid if you can, or use briefly if you must.
Pros
work from home available
Cons
oppressive
Loved it
2nd Shift Picking Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAMay 3, 2016
Loved working for School Specialty before the warehouse i worked at went out of business. The work environment was a great up beat environment and the management made sure that no one felt bad and that everyone was taken care of.
Stressful place to Work with No opportunity for Advancement
Merchandising Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 28, 2015
I worked for School Specialty for 5 years, and during those 5 years, we had one small 2% raise, we went Bankrupt, numerous layoffs, numerous furloughs and 3 different CEO's.

February 6th there was another lay off of over 100 people, me included. I am not sure what direction this company is taking, but it is a bit of a relief not to have to adhere to the stresses of poor management any longer.
Not a good company to work for
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHMay 25, 2012
Management is woefully lacking in talent at all levels, from the board and executives, downward. School Specialty is the classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. The company has no clear direction and management consistently disseminates conflicting information.

Also, made a lot of promises when I hired in that were completely invalid (benefits package, merit pay raises, opportunities). There's almost no way to move up in this company.
Pros
friendly front-line people, good location
Cons
inept management
Executive Administrative Assistant was a very good position. I enjoyed the variety.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAJune 14, 2014
This is one job/career I was very sorry to see come to an end. I had 3 bosses with different personalities and requirements which created a very different day every day. I enjoyed the variety in tasks. The employees were great and have stayed in touch with a lot of them. We all worked very well together to get the job done - to reach the catalog dead lines and make our customers happy. I enjoyed the variety of the job duties and each day was different.
Pros
Employees and benefits
Cons
It came to an end too soon
Pleasurable Summer Seasonal Job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIApril 10, 2016
Over the summer of 2015 I worked at School Specialty as a forklift driver. Each day I clocked in, checked with my supervisor where to start and then spent 8-10 hours putting pallets on 25-foot tall storage racks with my turret truck (special forklift).
Pros
Free lunch about once every other week; easy job, if you stay on task
Cons
Since it was a warehouse I had to accommodate/ work with some 'interesting' people
Okay place for a seasonal job
Warehouse Associate/Picker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 5, 2013
A typical day of work - School Specialty is usually a 7am-3pm job, and the work isn't terrible. I was a picker, which meant retrieving product from the shelves, and putting it in boxes. One of the biggest issues with this was the fact that other pickers would all contribute to the same box, and there was a lot of cleaning up the messes of lazy workers.

Management was often infuriating, forcing ridiculous rules and regulations on everybody. None of the lower level employees ever earned positive feedback, and management is generally unfriendly.

My co workers were awesome. They were mainly college kids, as few adults would stay around for this job. Great, friendly environment there.

The hardest part of the job was putting in my all, and getting $8/hour for it. There were never any raises, advancements, and encouragements from the School Specialty team. Additionally, the company would have "seasonal" employees working year round, for several years without ever hiring them as full time employees with benefits. Overall, not the greatest company to make a career in, but okay for college kids just needing the extra cash.
Pros
half hour lunch, good coworkers
Cons
"seasonal" associates, no real benefits, terrible management
Good place to work but not profitable.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Western MassachusettsFebruary 1, 2012
School Specialty has a great business plan but executes it very poorly. They have a great set of values as they put family first in all aspects. The real downside is there is no career advancement opportunities and the pay is somewhat low.
Pros
make your own schedule, people i work with, great personal manager.
Cons
poor career advancement, compensation is low, poor benefits (no matching 401k).
Company Review
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIMarch 4, 2015
Upper management doesn't seem to personally care about employees. Multiple positions have been outsourced, and jobs have been eliminated most recently, which does not set them up for success in the long run.
Pros
Lunch catering once a week
Cons
Change of benefits, time management system
very clean place to work .
Feeder (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 14, 2016
anyday of the week is a good day here at sauders eggs you can learn a lot about the prdoduct and its safety hazards the people are great to work with and they will help you until the last breath .it can get busy at times but it makes your shift a lot faster
Not the greatest place to work.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHMarch 26, 2016
I worked this job as a seasonal employee. The job description was 8 hour days five days a week. This ended up being 10-12 hour days six days a week.
Typical factory conditions, fast paced, hard work
Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHSeptember 22, 2015
Hard work, but with guidance and support of management. Good training and fairly good people to work with. It was hot and long days, but paid well and was able to increase wages each summer I worked.
Pros
good pay, good people, hardwork
Cons
repetitive
Was a contractor for IT
IT Contractor (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMay 8, 2013
People were fantastic to work with. But The company does not hire full time IT support. so no room for advancement and no benefits for IT staff
Good place to work in
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PADecember 11, 2015
typical day involved completing orders and loading up trucks.

I learn the value of hard work.

management was good

co-workers were helpful

hardest part was working in the summer when hot

most enjoyable was the stress free environment
Fast paced
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WISeptember 25, 2015
Typical day included the following:
Pulling product from shelves, scanning the barcode with RF handgun. Then putting the product in a tote on a conyver system. It moved down the line. I had to get at least 100-200 items in totes per hour.
When all the product was in the tote, it had to get put in a cardboard box. Labels were put on the shipping box and sent down to packing. If there was not a box for it, it went to packing right away.
In Packing you took things out of the tote, that were not in boxes already, and put them in the correct box. You used a RF hand gun to scan the shipping label, to print off the order form if there was one. Once every thing was boxed up, you put it on another conyver belt and it was sent to shipping.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7