School Specialty Employee Reviews

Good
Packaging (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHJuly 31, 2015
Great place to work, great management and great co workers. Only thing wrong was it was only seasonal work. Overall, it's a great place to work.
Good place to work but wasn't long term
Warehouse picker (Former Employee), Lyons, NYJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Easy work for me. Always got job done.
Cons: Not long term
It was a decent place to work and i did enjoy it. But there wasn't a way to stay long term with company because the warehouse was being closed down and even the full time employees were complaining about job.
This is a terrible high school job.
Data Entry (Former Employee), Greenville, WIMay 27, 2015
Pros: I got to ride around on this fun cart.
Cons: To much to write.
This is truly a high school summer job. Could not be any more boring. Walk around and grab stuff off shelves all day long. Basically like working on an assembly line.
School Specialty Review
Puller (Former Employee), Greenville, WIMay 21, 2015
School Specialty is a nice place to work, but hours can be very long, and sometimes Saturday work is required. I learned proper packing techniques and how to pack boxes quickly. The management is good, but some co-workers are less than enthusiastic with respect to the efficient execution of the job requirements.
horrible place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHApril 17, 2015
I would strongly not recommend someone to work here, the hours are terrible and they take advantage of people that want to work and let the ones who don't skate on by scotch free.
Productive, Motavated, and Outgoing
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHApril 1, 2015
I am very productive and motivated; I tend to excel at my job finding new way to improve the quality of the work environment.
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greenville, WIMarch 30, 2015
This was a great place to have worked. The people here are amazing to work with and they make sure you have what you need to get through the day.
fast paced
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Nashua, NHMarch 16, 2015
check orders re palletize orders shrink wrap and make bill of ladien load into trucks. Help get amazon.com orders ready. help pick orders if pickers fall behind
ok job
Puller/Packer (Former Employee), Greenville, WIMarch 5, 2015
I was only seasonal. So it was nice to have the winters off. But hours changed do to work load. Another good job for high school students.
Company Review
Clerical (Former Employee), Greenville, WIMarch 4, 2015
Pros: Lunch catering once a week
Cons: Change of benefits, time management system
Upper management doesn't seem to personally care about employees. Multiple positions have been outsourced, and jobs have been eliminated most recently, which does not set them up for success in the long run.
Stressful place to Work with No opportunity for Advancement
Merchandising Product Manager (Former Employee), Nashua, NHFebruary 28, 2015
I worked for School Specialty for 5 years, and during those 5 years, we had one small 2% raise, we went Bankrupt, numerous layoffs, numerous furloughs and 3 different CEO's.

February 6th there was another lay off of over 100 people, me included. I am not sure what direction this company is taking, but it is a bit of a relief not to have to adhere to the stresses of poor management any longer.
Great people, but rapidly changing executives
Director (Current Employee), WisconsinFebruary 17, 2015
School Specialty is a great company that cares about its customers and works very hard towards meeting their needs. My responsibilities have been diverse and grown significantly over the 4 years I have been here. My days are not typical. I juggle many differing responsibilities from our corporate website, to our paid advertising, to email campaigns and public relations. I have a direct staff with varying degrees of expertise, who need different levels of management. I also manage a significant group of consultants and freelancers.

The most enjoyable part of my job has been the rapidly changing digital environment. It offers many challenges which make for each day unique.

My main concern with School Specialty is the continuously changing executive staff (4 different CEOs and 4 different Marketing VPs in 4 years). Unfortunately, this chaos has led the company to lose its focus. It is owned by venture capitalists who are prepping the company to look financially viable for sale. This type of management leads many employees to distrust management decisions on brand extensions and new business offers such as school shooter training.
Used to be a great place to work
office (Former Employee), Nashua, NHFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: the hard-working people who gave blood, sweat and tears for their jobs
Cons: management, benefits, morale
People are great! Management not so much. The morale in the company was extremely low. Management didn't care much about the people who actually did the work. They expected everyone to take on more responsibilities with NO pay raises in over 5 years! The health insurance was very expensive and it did not cover much other than preventative care. The company wanted more and more from the employees but never gave us anything in return.... even took away our 401k match!
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Warehouse Distribution (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHJanuary 23, 2015
Operate a fork lift through a warehouse, picking bulk products to be shipped out.
Used scanners to pick products and put shipping labels on the products.
Changed large batteries in fork lifts.
Poor management altogether
Filler (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: paid lunches, friendly fellow employees on my level
Cons: 12 hour days, hours changing constantly
The main boss on the floor would have us throw boxes in the UPS trucks and send old used items when it's guaranteed good quality. Just poor management.
Layoffs, Furloughs, Lack of Direction
Order Entry/Customer Service (Former Employee), Greenville, WIJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: work from home available
Cons: oppressive
Was hired to do Order Entry of orders faxed and emailed to company (no phones which I preferred). A few months later answer phones forced on Order Entry team with no increased pay for the increased responsibilties.

Furloughs forced throughout.
0 raises if you didnt change position.

Multiple waves of layoffs, including an order entry team layoff in early 2014 which felt highly unnecessary. Many paper duties were outsourced but phones were still busy enough to keep people (including my own layoff being dragged out for weeks because they "weren't ready" for full transition). Turnover in dept had been high in all my years, they could have let people leave on their terms and not replaced if not needed, would have only taken a couple months tops.

Layoff process included VP reading a letter then leaving an HR lackey to handle out questions. Incredible lack of respect from man who made decision to negatively affect multiple lives.

Company has 0 direction, avoid if you can, or use briefly if you must.
Unstable environment
Marketing (Former Employee), Greenville, WINovember 21, 2014
When I started in 2000 this was absolutely an awesome place to work, however the fast decline started in 2008 making this a completely unstable company with very low morale. My only positive is, I have had the best managers a person could ask for!
Great people, no direction
sales (Former Employee), remoteNovember 18, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, supportive work environment
Cons: no job security
The company has potential, but seems to lack direction.
Great product mixture and name recognition within the industry.
Lots of instability and turnover in upper management.
Lots of caring employees.
Work was enjoyable and my immediate boss was excellent.
Laid Back and Friendly Environment
Marketing Support (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHNovember 6, 2014
Pros: long lunches, fun activities
School Specialty always made me feel at home. We were always doing some kind of fun activity. Managers were very considerate when it came to doctors appointments or vacation.
It was a fun place to work, but hours weren't steady
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee), Mount Joy, PAOctober 10, 2014
I liked working here, but the hours weren't steady. Most of the year we were lucky to get 20 hours a week. I liked working with the people I worked with. This warehouse was eventually shut down.