School of Rock Employee Reviews

Fun
Private Lesson Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 22, 2017
Positive environment, low pay for dealing with students. Even though it's $16 an hour, it's only accounted for time that you are with a student teaching. If you have breaks they don't count and that adds up.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Sometimes difficult for lack of pay
School of Rock
General Manager (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXNovember 4, 2017
Great program for children and adults, but not great management over the owners schools. Pay is also way to low for all positions and there was no room to grow within company after becoming GM.
Super fun and gratifying job. Hard to get full time hours.
Assistant Music Director/Private Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILOctober 2, 2017
Great job and very rewarding. Wish it was a little more regimented and had more hours available for working. Get paid per lesson and if a client cancels, then no pay for during that time.
Pros
Gratifying
Cons
Available Hours
fun and exciting
Drum/Piano Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mamaroneck, NYSeptember 28, 2017
great to work with kids, great atmosphere for learning, flexible with scheduling and fun. Camps were exciting and overall experience was joyful - great to get close to clients.
Comfortable and good for students.
Music Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 15, 2017
School of Rock Cypress brings a comfortable work area that is both safe and very lively. The students make a connection with the instructors that is made for a long time and it builds trust and influence to the future of the students. I recommend this job to musicians that are trying to get a degree under their belt while making good money.
Enjoyable relaxed teaching environment
Instructor (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 14, 2017
School of Rock is a great place to work if you are trying to get your foot in the door as a private lesson teacher and make a positive impact on young people. The atmosphere can be a little too casual at times since they hire instructors at much lower rates than most other lesson studios in the city. Their operation methods are difficult to work with at times since it doesn't always offer an opportunity for students to stick to a single lesson plan tailored to their needs when they tend to change instructor assignments on a moment's notice.
Pros
Great students, fun atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, some unqualified co-workers
Excellent working environment
Vocal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 23, 2017
I love working here. The teachers help each other succeed in their lessons. It is a loving and growing community. Not only are the teachers amazing, but so are the students, they really put an effort into their lessons and want to grow in their knowledge of their instruments.
Focusing on a Contemporary Music Niche
Director/Manager/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Madison, CTJune 16, 2017
Rock band music and instruction, seems self taught, but with experienced instructors even the youngest students can benefit from learning one of the most widespread genres of music in a safe, encouraging, individual and group learning atmosphere.
What a great concept, but ....
Guitar and bass instructor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 23, 2017
....all of these are franchises, and not all are efficiently run. There were very few times that I went to work where I did not have to search all over the building for a music stand, an amp, or a light. The management, staff and students are great, but the facility and the organization of the building leave a lot to be desired
Pros
Teaching kids who are interested in being enrolled, relaxed working atmosphere, awesome staff
Cons
Poor organization, scheduling, and facility
students learning to play rock music
Vocal Coach (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 10, 2017
This school is focused around teaching students rock-based music as opposed to a traditional music education. Students sign up for private lessons with instructors where they learn various instruments associated with rock music as well as singing. They also put together classes where students gain ensemble experience in a band-like set up.
Depending of the branch owner
Audio Visual Head Technician/ Musical Director (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 10, 2017
The company has a great view on how to teach and be creative with all the students, also provides one on one and group sessions to where the students form groups and tour their local area and play live shows.

I started as the director, I help build the school as it wasn't open at the moment of hire, owners were very quick to ask for help to build stage and paint and sound proof all rooms but paid that time at the teaching hourly rate, I was promised 2 different pay rates depending on the job being performed (teaching groups/individuals or setting up to play shows) but was played on certain things where I wouldn't get paid the correct way or the right amount on the job.

Owners had no musical background and would tell the music teachers, most with several years of experience, how to do their job and would usually be in a way that, given our experience, we knew it wasn't the correct way to do things, because of this, the location started loosing all the good employees (including my self) and ended up being a day care with little kids instead of the teens and adults that were originally there with the good performing teachers.

The company overall is great, just have to know which location to go to and be sure the management and owners have the student's and teacher's best interest in mind.
Pros
fun
Corporately owned studio
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 27, 2017
SOR is pretty much what one would expect. It's a corporately owned studio designed to get kids to play songs. I'm more into teaching kids technical skills and music theory. There were also a lot of kids that were a little too young to take lessons and had a very hard time paying attention, they just wanted someone to talk to like most kids do. Wasn't terrible, but just wasn't my thing.
Pros
Time to shed when you aren't teaching
Cultural and fun workplace
Summer intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 24, 2017
I only interned here for a summer because I was a past student at the school but overall the experience was very rewarding and beneficial and I enjoyed it a lot.
Awesome fun place to learn music and made some lifelong friends
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMarch 4, 2017
Overall, they were very fun and friendly place to work for. There were some disagreements with upper and lower management but that didn't really affect my job. The kids were great and fun to work with and I felt like overall it was a really good experience
A day at School of Rock
Music Instructor/Show Director (Current Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXJanuary 13, 2017
I was a show director so i would have to come in and talk to about 10 teenagers at a time and coordinate each of them individually to ensemble rock music and this would happen between several different groups and we would put performance show at the ends of every season
Pros
Get to change kids lives with your teachings
Cons
too far from me
Great Experience, but poor management
SONGWRITING INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 25, 2016
School of Rock allowed me to create my own program within their program. I worked very hard on it and it was a success. Unfortunately, they are a poorly run organization. They aren't staffed enough. They made promises they never kept. The company would have a lot more success if there was better management. I am still grateful for the experience.
Pros
Flexibility, Schedule
Cons
Management, Payment
Cool Company
Drum Instructor/Content Development (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CA 92056December 14, 2016
I enjoyed my time with School Of Rock. A typical day would include teaching 3-6 lessons, and occasionally leading a band rehearsal.

I learned how to work with a group of kids in a band management setting. I created course curriculums, and class design.

My co-workers were all amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better team.

The hardest part of the job was the scheduling. My hours were not filled as much as I needed them to be to continue working there.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I made a difference in kid's lives, and seeing them grow and progress.
Pros
Fun environment, got to play music, got to hang out with cool kids and co-workers.
Cons
Hours, and pay.
The Music School We Wish We Had When We Were Kids
Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee) –  Madison, CTOctober 4, 2016
School of Rock is a unique group-based music education program for kids and adults that not only teaches how to play music in a fun band setting, but also develops critical life skills such as leadership, confidence, accountability and teamwork. School of Rock has an amazing and lasting impact on all of our students and their families.
Horrible pay, doesn't value musicians, run by a corporation who only care about $$
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAOctober 3, 2016
After giving 2 years of my life and passion to this company, I finally see it for what it really is.

Foolishly, I had thought there was room to grow within the company. No. The pay is terrible and the corporation is run by a group of non-musicians who don't understand why the company struggles to find qualified teachers that will teach for $16/hr. They challenge every expense that comes up and use loopholes to avoid paying their employees for breaks and overtime. They also practice WAGE THEFT by requiring that "show directors" perform unpaid work in exchange for a "show bonus". When challenged recently to end this practice, they decided they couldn't figure out a better payment system, so they are continuing this terrible concept.

Not only that, but the demands on their instructors are high. The way the "curriculum" (hah) is set up means that instructors need to be top-notch gigging/performing musicians with the ability to figure out and transcribe pretty much any rock song thrown their way. The level of musicianship required to teach at this job is staggeringly high and not something your average amateur player could walk into. They don't provide music to their teachers, either.

I can't say enough negative things about the way this company is run. If you feel drawn to it, work for a franchise, as they are typically run by people who genuinely care about the product they produce. The corporation cares about money and money only, and don't have the slightest idea about what they are asking of their employees. The only benefit to this place (and this is a big benefit)
  more... is that coworkers are all wonderful people and great connections to have within your local music scene, and it is truly a joy to work with and inspire kids and teenagers to achieve greatness.  less
Pros
cool people, work with kids
Cons
low pay, not valued, no growth within company
Fun job I get to work with people of all ages doing something I love.
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 5, 2016
I very much enjoy working with school of Rock they take a very unique approach to teaching people music and make it fun for everyone. Using Rock music to spark interest in music and help maintain it by introducing theory later when the student has developed a passion for music.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
Not very many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School of Rock. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3