School of the Art Institute of Chicago Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Competitive but Strong Community
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2017
Challenging job and challenging system to work for, however SAIC ResLife granted me a wealth of experience in both facilitation and strengthening social/professional communities
This review is from the 1990s, so likely not applicable now at all
Associate Director of Institutional Advancement (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2017
This required review is from many, many years ago so is not likely applicable now at all. I enjoyed working at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The staff was wonderful, tight-knit, and I was given great support for my new ideas and approach to projects and work.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Pay was challenging for living in high-cost Chicago
Great Environment for learning and working with great professionals
Graduate Curatorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2017
I was working independently on the space assigned specifically to me. It was a great opportunity for managing projects by myself: events and exhibits, as well as a chance to work with different people from and outside of the school. Absolutely full experience of creating an exhibit from start to finish.
Professional & Friendly Environment
Admissions Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
I work in a flexible, professional and friendly environment with decent pay and workload. I work with great co-workers and a very efficient manager who accommodates everyone in the work environment.
Very comfortable work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2016
My job:
- Participated in class critiques by offering interpretations and suggestions to improve student work.
- Met with students one-on-one during studio work sessions to discuss their work-in-progress.
- Provided technical assistance.

I learned a lot not only from the professor, but also from the student.
Being a teaching assistant enhanced my professional skill and learned other skills which I never know before.
Excellent opportunities for students
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2016
Excellent opportunities for students to gain professional experience and study.

Being a TA helped me to develop communication skills, and confidence about my thinking as a future architect. I’ve learned to engage in design conversation with students, and make them think about WHY in the design process, instead of HOW.
Great place to work during school
Studio & Design Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2016
Only available to work during full-time student. Nice and friendly environment. Very peaceful when all the machines are quiet but usually very loud. Learn to use heavy woodwork machines.
Energetic, brainy, educational and entertaining
Designer, medical interpreter, Cultural mediator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2015
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago is one of the most enriching environments in Chicago.
Art, science and making come together to experiment and create the new.
The coomunity I have made at SAIC will be for life!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 16, 2015
One of the most enriched artist communities in Chicago. The public lectures and screenings, and the on going process of critics are crucial to the process of one's studio practice. I definitely enjoyed the critical input and the as an instructor I strove to maintain a friendly critical space for my students, where experimenting and failing is always encouraged.
Interesting place to work; helped me to grow and learn- sometimes very disorganized
Admissions Counselor/ Alumni Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2014
Each day was very different and everyone had very different expectations of what my role was.
I would do whatever I was asked as quickly as possible, and because of this, would sometimes complete all tasks before the work say ended. Some people above me thought this was a problem, while others thought it was fine. I received many mixed signals.

I enjoyed working at SAIC because of my co-workers, who made the process of learning about/ providing feedback on artwork interesting.

The most difficult aspect of the job was learning to deal with multiple managers who had conflicting ideas about what I should be working on.

The most enjoyable part of my job was counseling excited artists about pursuing their dreams.
A constantly evolving work environment at the center of Chicago's Art world.
Media Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
I manage a handful of student employees at a time. Our main objective is to loan analog and digital equipment used on film/video shoots to students and staff for on and off campus use. It is very much a customer service job which often time requires our personal investment in our patron's projects. My job as supervisor of student employments needs to be sympathetic to a variety of personal and scheduling issues while maintaining a professional demeanor. This is both the most enjoyable and hardest part of the job. My coworkers are other administrators as well as students of various departments on school and museum campus. We all work together.
I enjoyed
Designed Objects Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2013
teaching designed objects for undergraduates and graduates.
I was a teaching assistant and had very little responsiblity
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2012
I would have liked to had more responsibility as an assistant
Pros
great school
Good Employer
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2012
A wonderful place to work if you can get your foot in the door.
Pros
good work environment