SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

very low in moral
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 4, 2016
Very micro management workplace, not enough training after the take over from All valley federal credit union to Schools first federal credit union.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
ok place to work
Service Delivery Representative III (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CANovember 19, 2015
great people, too much politics to move up.

willing to work with you when you have personal family matters to attend to. A pretty ok place to work. I miss the people there
Requires to be fully attentive and impressive amount of patience.
Service Delivery Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work may seem repetitive because of answering phone call after call. However, each phone call is different which provides its variety. If you're used to a job where you interact with people face to face then this is an entirely different job, even though you interact with people on the phone. It requires to be patient with others and more so with yourself. There is much to learn when it comes to finances, particularly another's finances. I've learned how to further express empathy, enhance my communication, resolve conflicts without escalation, be positive and again have patience. Co-workers, you unfortunately won't be having a ton of interaction with on a personal basis because you'll be too busy focusing on the Members. The most contact you'll have with co-workers is transferring a phone call and explaining the situation. If there is a moment where the call center isn't as busy you might have a moment to chat with your neighbor. The hardest part of the job is the monotony. It is call after call and requires your undivided attention. If you seem to zone out of a conversation you might see yourself constantly asking "Can you repeat that?". The phone calls are always recorded and it will be notated for you adherence to almost each call. The most enjoyable part of being in a call center, specifically SchoolsFirst, you get hour lunches, a major background of finances that gives you a personal idea of how to further budget and plan ahead. Frequently you are awarded for you contribution to the call center. Each year there is a "Dream Team Conference" and it's engaging  more... with the entire company. They even give the employees an opportunity to address whatever may be on there mind to the CEO and his affiliates. At the end, everyone is awarded with a special prize that typically leaves everyone going home happy.  less
Pros
Sundays off, hour lunches, frequent prizes.
Cons
short breaks, point system (attendance for calling out, going home early or arriving late) and work most saturdays
Great people and Great benefits!
MEMBER SERVICE REP IV (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 23, 2015
It was nice to work in an environment where everyone truly cared about each other and the well being of the Members.

A typical day at work for me would include face to face interactions with Members to ensure they have everything they need.

Co-workers for the most part worked well together.

The hardest part of the job was not having enough staff when we would get extremely busy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having the ability to change Member's financial lives.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Small salary increases.
Great people and Great benefits!
Memember Service Rep IV (Former Employee) –  CAApril 13, 2015
When I first started working for SchoolsFirst I could not believe how approachable every single team member I encountered was! You could get a smile or a handshake from anyone,all the way up to the CEO. If they had job opportunity here in Hawaii I would have never left! If you can get in, you will never want to leave!
Pros
Great atmosphere, kind Members, unbeatable benefits
Cons
Quite small salary increases depending on the year.
It's An ok. place
Service (Former Employee) –  TustinApril 10, 2015
Very good benefits company vision is great. Management plays favorites depending on which dept. you're in. Where I worked a co-worker came in late every single day and the manager did nothing but jumped on other Reps if they were late. She would also repeat things/private conversations to other teammates causing disension in the work environment.
Pros
benefits and bonuses
Cons
horrible manager and team environment
Great company to work for
Manager, Home Equity Lendind (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 26, 2015
Highlycustomer service focussed. Very good product line. Upper management supprot on the day to day needs of the unit.

I would reccommend this employer!
INVESTMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 20, 2015
Work with members who need financial advisory assistance. Learned how important member service is, management was very political and underhanded, great co-workers/positive environment. Dealing with the politics of the job was bad, I had an awful manager, I enjoyed working with members. Pay was very low compared to the market rates.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
political, management needed change, and low pay.
Awesome Environment
Internet Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 18, 2015
I work in the Internet Services Department. We offer troubleshooting for connectivty issues with our website. Reply to Member inquries through our Secured Messaging system, and general e-mail address. I also assist Members directly through chat. In addition, I also work our Social Media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. I respond to comments, questions, and complaints.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
career development is very slow
Great Benefits and Atomosphere
Internet Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 11, 2015
Everyone has a Teamwork mentality. Very much focused on helping their Members and providing the best Member service possible.
Member Service!
Procedures Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside CaMay 1, 2014
Good work environment and great benifits. Member Service is the #1 priority!
Member Service
Credit Card Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 11, 2014
Processes Member transactions and provides product and service information.
Creates new shares, processes disputes and other Member related inquiries.
Understanding of credit union savings and loan products and services.
Researches, identifies and corrects Member account problems.
Great for Members
AFTER-HOUR CARD SUPPORT SPECIALIST (TELECOMMUTER) (Former Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CADecember 1, 2013
As a previous employee of SchoolsFirst FCU, I must state that being a Member was far more preferable. Employees were not supported by management. Co-Workers were amazing and dedicated people. The most difficult part of the job was definitely the disgruntled Members and the lack of respect from management. The best part of the job was being able to work from home.
ovearll schools first credit union is an excellent company to work for with awesome culture and benefits
senior closer/funder (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAOctober 24, 2013
Typical day at work: consists of the following:
In the morning I work on my fundings, coordinate with escrow and title for my conditions.
In the afternoon I draw loan docs and review my files that are funding for the next day. In between I help answer any questions and or concerns that we might have as a whole dept.
I try to assist where I can and help management out where and when I can.
Pros
excellent work enviornment, culture
Cons
not enough training when it comes to respa 2010 and cures.
Analyst for Strategic Marketing
Research Member Specialist/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa AnaAugust 14, 2013
I worked at the corporate office/branch located in the heart of Orange County. I was working within the Strategic Marketing group as a support Research Member Specialist. There was no effective training protocols and all learning was done on the job or through CBT or computer based training. They have a cultural indoctrination program and encourage team members to work together and engage in silly group exercises to enhance group cohesion; I don't think these had any effect whatsoever. For the most part outside of my department the employees seemed very friendly and willing to help with a smile on their face. However when you're involved with your own department the mask melts away revealing a litany of internal politics between people that was the antithesis to what the company preached regarding the positive working culture involving team work.

Regarding my position, I initially learned a few new novel concepts or software systems such as how to create online surveys and deploying them via web to collect data regarding whatever issue was being investigated, using predictive modeling with SPSS to segment customers for better target marketing; but the position I had was a one year commitment at most; after a year I was literally bored to death. It was more or less entry level position with no opportunity to progress career wise, but it compensated very well for being entry level; ultimately there was no room for vertical mobility within small the group I belonged to.

Training was all computer based and very basic. If you're looking for advancing your professional computer
  more... or technical skills this isn't the place to acquire them, but rather if you enjoy working with the public as a loan consultant or teller then this would be the company for you. To learn about marketing analytics and research techniques this company sorely lacks in these competencies.

My co-workers were easy to get along and friendly, but I wouldn't trust anyone with confidential information, because you never know when someone is going to stab you in the back; I felt many people were passive aggressive at the corporate level. For example I was given the opportunity to leave with a severance because I embarrassed my boss on accident because he couldn't reproduce a report his manager needed and because he lost face I was reproached for his inability. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance and location.
Pros
good health benefits and starting salary
Cons
lack of learning opportunities and the scant support from management to thrive
Don't waste your time! You'll be gone in less than a year!
Service Delivery Rep (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAAugust 11, 2013
I worked at the company for 10 months. It was great at first because you are told you can grow fast and eventually work into full-time if you work hard. Spent 10 months there waiting for this to happen, was worked to the bone and had high numbers. Turnover is very high that even the President of the company told us in a staff meeting that most of the people who work there are gone within a year. Management is phony. They act all nice to your face but then are talking behind your back and backstabbing you. Benefits are excellent if you have no family members, but if you are part-time and have a family to support, the out of pocket is so high that you better have a spouse or someone that you has health insurance so your children are covered. The pay isn't fair either. I found out that people who just got hired got paid WAY more than me for doing the same job and it was their first job and it wasn't because they had a college education, because they didn't. The management made the money while the workers worked hard to get them their raises and the raises you DO get is like 10-25 cents! Your schedule varies so it's hard to work a 2nd job and it's all about who sucks up to the management!
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
management, over-worked, no room for growth unless your a suck up!
A Great Organization to work for that helped to cultivate a professional and goal oriented career path.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 6, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of helping members with their financial needs and requests.
Schools First helped solidify the importance of hard work, teamwork and customer service.
Management at Schools First was helpful, cooperative, and contributed to the advancement of my career goals.
The people I worked with at Schools First was the best part of the job. Everyone I worked with at Schools First was professional and simultaneously fun to work with.
Hardest part of the job was the end and beginning of the months because it was when most teachers get paid and as a result the branch I worked at would become extremely busy. That said it was never bad enough to consider it a bad day or something to excessively complain about.
Pros
great environment and benefits
Cons
not many opportunities for full-time work
Productive and Fun
Member service representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 25, 2013
Working here is great has a lot of great people working there
Great work philosophy
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 12, 2013
This place has great health benefits and retirement plans. The moto there is member service and it is true. The stories you hear about employees helping others just because is so touching that you feel like you are part of something bigger. Enjoyment working at this company will depend on what department you work for.
Cons
no real bonuses, merit increases are low.
A wonderful place to start a career
Member Services Representative III (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMarch 25, 2013
It's a great organization that have easy communication access to upper management and have a very diverse staff. The company always have a "Member Services" first mentality. All the Team Members are eager to help/assist, and the Members are very nice and loves to bank there.
Pros
friendliness, management, very enjoyable organization to be a part of.
Cons
n/a

4.2