SCHUMACHER HOMES Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Flexible hours but high pressure
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 19, 2018
I loved the job at Schumacher homes. Very good company as a whole, very high pressure which is fine with me as I like to get things done quickly and done right the first time.
Pros
Company truck, phone, i pad
Cons
phone never cuts off
hard and difficult place work
Job Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2018
interview process doesn't match the actual job, work load is continually increased with no compensation, you alway expected to take up the short comings of other departments and people
Pros
interesting product and good customer base
Cons
poor systems, no training, bad management
A good company to learn production based home building,
Builder (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJanuary 2, 2018
Move from job to job at scatterd sites to inspect what was done each day. Schedule next trade in to keep projects moving. Be on site for inspections,and prepare for following inspections.
Pros
Able to manage own schedule.
Cons
Down time very limited.
What a Shame
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 4, 2017
The local GM and staff are great, however, the owner/ corporate management has set very unrealistic goals for the salespeople. I feel bad for the staff because they are all such great people but suffer due to a high turnover of the sales staff; which affects their paychecks and job security.

The company builds a quality product but they are overpriced, thus, making it more difficult to close lower-end sales and they don't allow the salesperson time to cultivate the higher end buyers before firing them.

The Greenville location could have so much potential, however, it is stifled by upper management who lacks insight into the local market and does not give enough authority to the local GM.
Pros
Great GM and staff
Cons
unrealistic sales expectations
Enjoyable atmosphere, good work schedule, must be able to learn quickly
Customer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 19, 2017
The Customer Coordinator position is challenging yet rewarding. I really enjoy my everyday job. Our district managers are in the office twice a week and they're able to answer any questions about daily tasks or challenges. This position is learn as you go!! If you don't have construction experience, you may struggle in the beginning. If you focus on the industry and try to learn from each position in the office, you'll excel quickly. The company is close-knit and GREAT to work for. Family run and high level management very involved. Full benefits, HR is great about answering questions and listening to employees needs.I plan to stay with the company as long as possible.
Pros
Family run, challenging, GREAT work environment
Cons
none that I can identify at this time
high quality builder.
SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Belmont OhioMarch 3, 2017
Schumacher Homes is among the premier custom home builders. Their homes are very well built, and customer satisfaction is a major concern to them.
They like people who work hard at their job, Have fun while doing so, and want to make money.
Pros
great potential to earn good commissions.
Cons
hours of operation of sales centers.
This was a dream job!
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 19, 2016
I was hired to set up North Carolina and South Carolina for Schumacher Homes. We set up design centers in both states.
My typical day was driving to each location interviewing sales persons and hiring them. I was very active with each Chamber of Commerce in each location. Networking with local businesses and community leaders was crucial.
The learning curve was seeking ways to introduce a new home building from Ohio. I developed a grass roots program which actually got Schumacher out front and center in a lot of local activities.
The Schumacher's were great as managers.
The hardest part of the job was cancelled sales. The company was growing very quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my sales team. I am still friends with them today on Facebook. We are life time friends.
Building relationships within the community and job force is the most rewarding aspect to me.
Pros
New territories to settled
Cons
Cancelled sales
Love My career here!
Current employee (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 4, 2016
I have been with Schumacher Homes for a few years now and must say that I love this company so very much!
We are a family oriented, customer based company!!
There are excellent advancement opportunities,pay raises, benefits, and a great bonus structure.
I am always very proud to say where I work, we take such pride in every single home, soo much goes into each home and customer and we have the most talented staffs that I have ever worked with and I've been in this industry for many many years and worked with many in construction.
I love that this is a company founded on the American principals of hard work and dedication to a dream!
If you are looking for an amazing family oriented company then apply with Schumacher Homes!
Pros
Family based, great pay, benefits, owner involvement with staff
Job Scammers Horrible people.
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCOctober 29, 2016
They offer jobs, and after accepting the job(s), new employees move to another state at job location. After moving to the state for the job position, they fire the new hires.
Pros
Cons
Management at main office in Ohio are judgmental you know whats
Clueless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2016
This company has no training for management. Even the upper management does not have a clue they don't have a clue. The hours suck and the pay is horrible. Stay away!!!
Pros
Cons
N/a

Want to know more about SCHUMACHER HOMES?

Ask a question
Obnoxously overworked with little pay and no respect
Estimator / Project Manager - Custom Residential (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 2, 2016
A family ran company that the Schumacher's give no respect to the field personnel that make them their money. Low pay with the promise of bonuses that are unable to be reached. Working hours that can reach up to 80 hours per week and an in house manager that will tell you, "the Schumacher's will give anything to the owners to keep from getting a bad review". And they will not back you, they will always take the owners side. The funny thing is that this isn't even a "bad" review, just a true one. So how do you stop those ?

If your an owner, yell loud enough and they will give away the farm. Accuracy means nothing and at the cooperate office in Canton, OH all of the managers work against each other instead of with each other. Yet at least there, if you get in, its a 40 hr week and out the door you go !

At the corporate office, depending upon the department, only the brown nosers' get to do anything worth while even if it is constantly wrong (New Home Design).
Pros
Pay check is on time
Cons
The other employees are decent to work with for the most par
Great place to work, always learning new job skills
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJune 29, 2016
Enjoyed working thru the entire process in the new home construction. Enjoyed meeting the customers from the beginning in selecting their home plan and assisting the new homeowners thru the building phase as well. General manager and co-workers worked well as a team.
Pros
Customers, co-workers and always learning new job skills
Cons
Asheville Schumacher Homes High Turnover - 15 Employees Fired or Quit in less than 2 Years in a 10 Person Office
Project Manager (Builder) (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 31, 2015
Looking for job security? You won't find it there. Looking for great pay and advancement? NOPE not there! Looking for happy satisfied customers? LOL nope not a one! Looking to build team relationships? Good luck - one day they are there and the next they are fired or quit from the work load for absolutely no reason at all except they never were trained in the beginning but, are expected to build a home from ground up on the elevations in Asheville. Looking for a slave environment? You found it! Good Luck!
Pros
Can't think of any.
Cons
Too many to list.

Comment – January 8, 2016

"Bait and Switch" Production Builder - High Volume Expectations from employees -

High turnover
New Home Consultant Schumacher Homes (Former Employee) –  Holden, LANovember 3, 2015
Advantage: Company is big on improving marketing and the technical side of the construction process, such as real-time design for blue prints and advertising.

Disadvantage: The negative work environment. Most all infractions are overlooked as long as you sell.
Company pros and cons
CAD (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 6, 2015
generally good environment, pay is average for the job and area. A good place to work if one comes into already knowing what to do, not a lot of training.
Pros
Company does a lot for employees, good for self motivated individuals.
Cons
can be a bit like high school at times
Great Place to Work
Architectural Designer and CAD Operator (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 14, 2013
I have spent a number of years trying to get into this company and I finally did earlier this year. I knew all along what they were about and am glad I became a part of the mix at Schumacher Homes.

I can give high ratings on most things, but, when it comes to Job Security, I have never been a big fan of the "secure" thing throughout my career because the type of work I do can be affected greatly by the economy so it could be eliminated at any time for any reason. Not saying that I am not secure at the moment, I am looking long term and you always have to prepare for that.

Other than that, I have no complaints whatsoever!
Pros
Friendly co-workers, caring/supportive management, fitness rooms, comfortable work areas
Cons
Could earn a little more on the salary side eventually
Schumacher Homes
New Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 12, 2013
The organization does not understand all of its markets and sales consultants are extremely over worked and under paid
Pros
you have a job
Cons
you work for them
Worst Place to work
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte NCApril 2, 2013
I interviewed and got the job and was excited. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. Management is horrible and marketing is very misleading. I was tired of justifying things to customers. They are really into putting down competition. They spent more time worrying about what the competition was doing. They are not staffed appropriately for the amount of traffic that comes in - so of course customers are going to get mad. Hours are ok if you do not mind weekends. When bonuses kicked in - they came in and got rid of me for no reason. No one could tell me - not my manager or HR. Do not take this job - not worth the headaches!
Worst job I ever had! Run away!
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Canton, OhioNovember 6, 2012
This is the worst place I have ever worked. Managers have no education or management training so the company is disorganized from the top down. This is a family owned & RUN company meaning many family members work here. At Schumacher Homes you are either treated like royalty or a servant depending on your relationship with the family. If you can't "play the game & play it well" you won't succeed here.
Pros
decent benefits, good hours
Cons
horrible management, drama ridden environment