SCHWANS Employee Reviews

was a great place to work
non-DOT merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSJanuary 4, 2016
all I did was stock pizzas at Walmart and all the local grocery stores, pay was by the box and I could work whenever I wanted was the best part time job I ever had
Pros
the pay and scheadule, discounts on products
Cons
was only part time
Poor but decent wages
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTNovember 16, 2015
The hours are long but the pay is decent. They do reinforce safety over sales, but expect unrealistic goals for your sales for the day. The average day for the new hour system is starting at 10 AM and clocking out by 9 PM, but realistically you start at 9:45 AM and dont get back to the Depot until 8:30 PM and close out your day buy 9:30 PM on a good day.
Pros
Good Wages
Cons
Hours. Managment. Job Security
didn't like
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 2, 2015
Terrible place to work for a Material handler position, driving position requires good salesmanship. It was in a conveniently close location to my house.
A typical day as a route driver for Schwans
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasSeptember 17, 2015
Your day starts with by arriving at work to find that you have a 12-14 hour day ahead of you, driving. You make sure all pre-orders have been loaded properly then inspect truck that you are assigned to for any visible problems. Drive to assigned location and visit each and every customer on the route and add value to their life by providing meals and meal solutions to them. 12-14 hours later, head back to the depot, arrive around 8-10 pm in the evening to cash out the day then go home and sleep a couple of hours then do it over again.

I've learned that by this kind of behavior your sure to not have a normal life. However, this has taught me how to manage my time and followup with customers consistently which has allowed me to built long lasting relationships.

Hardest part of the day was not to get discouraged with rejection. And again, the best part of the day is knowing that I've make it home without any accidents due to being behind a wheel all day long.
Pros
relationship building, good benefits
Cons
drive time
no home life
Curtomer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INAugust 30, 2015
not a bad company they told me exactly what i would be doing when i hired on so no complaints on their end i have kids and wanted to see them more than this job would allow so i left
Pros
good food
Cons
expensive food, no home life
I did one already
Labor Ready (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 7, 2015
I had already did a review about this company it was a great experience and learned many different lines and got to know many different cultures. It was decent pay and sometimes too long of hours but like any work place you get the good with the bad.
Pros
many differnet cultures
Cons
a few bad line leads
It Was A Job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  INJuly 1, 2015
It Was A Job Did Make New Friends Did Learn Some New Skills Never Had The Same Shift Hours For Very Long No holidays Off Management Sucked
Pros
Had Good Benefits
Cons
Real Short Breaks No Holidays Off
Frozen Food Retail Company
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, KYJune 3, 2015
Loaded trucks with frozen food to be sold door to door. Learned about how door to door sales worked. Management was horrible for the most part. Co-workers were usually lazy. Hardest part was going in every night. Most enjoyable was the free sampling of new product.
Pros
Free sampling of new product
Great pay but...
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 27, 2015
Worked up to 16 hours a day 6 days a week.Great money but you have no life at all and no time to spend the money.Mostly work in a freezer at 20 below for hours at a time.
Meet new people and learn the area
Merchandiser, Pay hourly and mileage (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work would be driving from my home to the first store on my list, go into the store into the back of the store and collect my product to be pt on the shelves. Once I'm done with one store I move to the next until my list is complete. Working for this company has taught me organization, helped my communication skills with people I haven't met before, and helped me learn the area by driving from place to place enough so that I don't need a map to know where I'm going.

Management has more than a little to work on, I have been having problems non stop with my higher ups throwing accusations at me without knowing all the details. I don't meet anyone else that works for the same company unless a merchandiser happens to be at the same store I am at the same time, though I do communicate fondly with the employees at the stores I visit.

The hardest part of this job is having to deal with the higher ups constantly verbally abusing me and accusing me of completely ignoring to do my job such as not showing up to one or two of the stores on my list and ignoring the stock completely at stores. Though that is almost bearable when I get to visit my stores and talk with the people I've made friendships with while doing my job.
Pros
lunch break is whenever I'm hungry
Cons
Condesending accusative management

Want to know more about SCHWANS?

Ask a question
Meeting new people and learning from them
Driver/salesman (Former Employee) –  Washington, IAMay 19, 2015
Leadership skills is a plus and being able to learn new things at the job is very interesting when it comes to knowing what is right instead of what is wrong.
Pros
free products occassionally
Cons
economy loss of pay when it concerned commission
70% of all drivers leave per ceo
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton MiApril 14, 2015
easy job but very poor management . I have six different managers in 5 years. The hours on the job were extreme. The equipment we used were very outdated.
Fun
Merchandiser / Salesman (Former Employee) –  PortlandMarch 5, 2015
It was years ago but it was a fun place to work. At the time salesmen were 100% commission so If you were willing to put in the time and build relationships you made lots of money.
Pros
money
Cons
tough hours
good job but not great
Route driver and sales (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, CAFebruary 14, 2015
Drive and sell long hours five days a week. Like the independence driving and selling current clients and obtaining new clients. Great benefits and good management.
it was alright
mixer (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJanuary 2, 2015
I like working for this company but it was very hard work for one person doing the job that I did I lifted about 35000 lbs a week and it take a toll on my body over the years.
n/a
ROUTE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJDecember 10, 2014
nice place to work, but pay rate and advancement is very poor
Loved working with my coustomers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 18, 2014
We worked hard and long hours, but the benefits of getting to know people was well worth the long hours.
Pros
benefits were great.
busy fun job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEOctober 22, 2014
i really liked working here and there was alot of good people there
Pros
busy place
Cons
na
Good Crew
Picker/Loader (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDOctober 12, 2014
Management isn't on time and reliable
Crew is like family
Food and company is good
Very long hours
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cabool, MOSeptember 14, 2014
if you build your route you can make some good money. Very long hours
Pros
discount