SCHWEBEL BAKING COMPANY Employee Reviews in United States

good company to work for
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 7, 2015
Schwebel's is a good company to work for they provide good benefits to employee's and their product is great.
The only downfall is inexperienced management that donesn't know how to grow the company and make more business for the Route Drivers, work more hours and have more stops but make the same amount of money
Pros
good benefits and products
Cons
clueless management and low earning potential
I can't say anything good about this company
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHApril 23, 2016
The Schwebel Baking Company is on its way out!! They have the worst so called leadership!! They HATE the unions there and are trying everything they can to break them up. The son thinks he can micromanage a company that size, and does not trust anyone to do there job on there own.
Management Is weakened due to there lack of power because the son want EVERYTHING done his way, and if you don't, they he'll find a way to fire you as he did me. This company doesn't like to go by any contract between the unions unless it is in they're favor. This is an observed act on my part.
You can heed my words, but if you go there to start work, just remember I said "you won't be there long". The only reason people stay is they have to much time invested to leave.

Everything I have stated is the truth!!!
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Adam Schwebel
Horrible working conditions
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHMay 13, 2016
A very physical and demanding job. Each year more and more work. added to the job with no compensation or little appreciation. The union is a joke. They are definitely company all the way. Schwebels is a family owned company and are only concerned about themselves . They look down on your average worker and will back stab anyone if it benefits the company. One clerk was written up because her father died and she left work early. Mind you she was a 14yr employee at the time. I could list many more but I really think you get what I'm saying.
Pros
Cons
Low salary, high union dues, heavy lifting, terrible schedules
Very back stabbing environment where loyalty is nonexistant
Production/Distribution supervisor positions (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OhioJanuary 31, 2015
i was an employee in various roles with this company from union labor to production and distribution supervisor. I spent almost 16 years when out of nowhere i was fired for what they said was performance issues. I was working 6 days and up to 60 hours a week for minimal compensation. In my opinion I was fired due to the owners son expecting you to agree with everything he says and if you disagree it hurts his ego. If you decide to work for this company good luck you will need it. The only family they care about is their own. The pressure and expectations are not worth the pay and upper management likes to micro manage tbe other supervisors and hourly employees. I hope you are a yes man or woman because this company does not like or respect strong willed people even if you have the experience and knowledege to back it up with.
Cons
no loyalty, very high expectations, no job security
The company was union organized was very profession and established.
Tank Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHApril 19, 2016
I came in as entry level and was able to elevate to more important and demanding positions. This made for a more enjoyable atmosphere. The company treated their employees fairly
stay away from here, I wish someone had warned me.
route sales (Current Employee) –  canton ohApril 18, 2015
Very miserable place to work, long hours and no type of help or any show of appreciation for your efforts. Co-workers will backstab you in a second if they think it will curry favor with the bosses. The only reason anyone stays is the money.
Pros
good pay but longhours
Cons
terrible inexperienced management
A last resort job
Labor (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHAugust 28, 2013
I have never seen so many miserable people in one place. Had they given me a tour of the place before I was hired, I would've definitely said no. I thought it was a family oriented business. They really don't care about the employees or the supervisors (they're treated badly in front of employees and are in constant fear of being fired). As for the union, they're for the company. Benefits? Great, but you have to pay $200-$300+ depending on your family situation. Tack on union dues and taxes-your paycheck is a joke.
Pros
above minimum wage
Cons
short breaks, pay for healthcare, no family time
Production Packer
Packer (Current Employee) –  Solon, OhioJanuary 23, 2015
This job is the most terrible/miserable job to work for you work long hours and supervisor want you to stay over even after you already scheduled a 10 hr shift. My area where I work the people are so miserable don't nobody like eachother just nagging and at eachother allday everyday. They wanna hear all your business (so if you get a job hear keep personal information to urself) it will get out and twisted to make you look so bad. These ppl live there and have no life for real. I haven't seen over grown Ppl so Childishly.
Cons
short breaks
Horrible Upper Management- Hostile
Production (Former Employee) –  YoungstownMarch 8, 2015
A typical day was chaotic. My supervisor tried to help us, but management was HORRIBLE. We would work 12 to 14 hour shifts for weeks at a time. They back-stabbed, pointed fingers, and were terrible to people. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior. They made us use outdated ingredients. I tried reporting things and they never were taken care of.
Pros
a check
Cons
the company itself
Hard work for little pay
Mixer (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, ohioApril 8, 2015
The only reason i took this job was because when i moved home from SC, it was the first job that presented itself to me. It is not my career of choice and gives me very little challenge.
Schwebel Baking Company is a wonderful company to work for.
Purchasing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hebron, OHDecember 10, 2012
Owners & Management at Schwebel Baking company are very good people to work for.I like my career at Schwebel Baking Company but I will be relocating to Charleston South Carolina.
Cons
no vacation during the week before and of holidays
Hard to work with coworkers.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 22, 2013
Co workers will take you down in a second if it benefits them, even if they are also in the wrong. Upper management is impossible to work for now that a new generation has become involved in the company.
benefits
Cons
hours are hard to work with when you have a family
Workplace had a workout station
Seasonal Bun Shipper (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 28, 2012
Schwebel's provided me with experience in shipping such as; Picking/Pulling Orders, CB radio, and independent work stations.
Pros
union, health benefits, weekly pay.
Cons
long hours/weeks
No time to yourself
shipping (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 30, 2013
First, the schedule is awful, tue & sat off, make you feel like your working a 7 day a week schedule, no family or home life. Management is horrible, people working at the place all hate their job. The Pros, Union environment, secure job.
Pros
union
Cons
schedule- work environment
High volume and and speedy industry
Branch Sales Manager/ Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioJanuary 26, 2015
One of the best jobs I have ever had. Very challenging but at the same time very self rewarding. learned a lot of new sales tactics and the importance of customer satisfaction and customer service. Also furthered my knowledge on leadership and how to be a leader and not just a boss.
Production Line Not for the Faint of Heart
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHDecember 24, 2014
For several months, I worked the production line. My schedule was always rotating from week to week. And, for all of those who aspire to enter the baking industry, your work day generally starts hours before the sun comes up. Forget about a day off on the weekend, Saturday or Sunday. The constantly rotating schedule from week to week was very difficult to adjust to. There also always seemed to be this ever present pressure from management to produce, produce, and produce some more. While some of the front-line supervisors were able to filter this pressure out before it got to the worker bee, there were others who certainly manifested transferred aggression. Sadly, it was the little man who would receive the brunt of it in those circumstances. There always seemed to be some kind of staffing deficiency that created an atmosphere where management was always pleading with you to work that extra couple of hours or a day on weekends. Nepotism was pervasive. Training was minimal. Wages were depressed. I have to say that it is also the first place I ever worked at where senior management or health and safety would just stand there, staring at you while you worked, "mean mugging" you the entire time (didn't seem like a lot of happy management personnel). I didn't find it particularly unnerving, but I did find it to be extremely unprofessional. And, the Union didn't seem to do much for the worker or even seem to care about the worker. On a final note, I have to hold human resources/the company to task for what appeared to be false advertising. I answered an advertisement that provided  more... that the wages were $12.00 an hour, but when I showed up for work the first day, it was explained that the wage was $11.00 an hour. Turnover in production is excessive. Turnover amongst front-line supervisors was excessive.

I would like to add that all of the above are my own personal opinions. Others may have different experiences, though; I would doubt such. I personally cannot recommend Schwebel's to anyone for employment.
Cons
plenty (see below.)
unprofessional company
driver (Former Employee) –  youngstown,ohSeptember 19, 2013
I can only speak for transportation dept, what a joke! There is no communication what so ever in this dept. The pay, hours and tractors are terrible. The son is is overseeing this dept and has starting putting cameras everywhere in parking lots, time clock areas and who knows where else. If you have a CDL don't even consider Schwebels.
Pros
discounts on stale bread at thrift stores
Cons
to many to list
A decent job
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJuly 19, 2013
Worked in the Sanitation department- received three jobs a night to do. Payed a decent wage during the summer. However, if you get hired into the company, your pay gets dropped.
Nice secure employment
Assistant Plant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHMarch 28, 2013
Schwebels is a very family oriented company that cares about its employees and it's product.
Pros
secure employment

2.4