Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Good work environment
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMarch 3, 2016
Schweitzer was a very good experience for me. It gave me a introduction to engineering after college in a manageable way that didn't overwhelm me. The other employees were very personable and easy to get along with. I quickly developed a respect for my superiors in a constructive way that didn't make me fear them but rather made me want to live up to their expectations.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday, and great benefits for full time workers
The company is wonderful
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAFebruary 3, 2016
The company is run by a group of well educated people who care about the success of all of their employees. The culture is amazing.
ok work
Associate Chemist/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 23, 2016
not your best work place. no team work or trust. you just there to do your job and go home. little support if you ever needed one. the pay ws very average.
Failure to estimate was made up by employees, unbalanced culture and poor management
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WANovember 21, 2015
I found that the company had a set of core values that felt applied to the employees, but not the top most management, verses employees were punished for doing things in direct alignment with those values. Innocent and simple mistakes were punished through severe means like termination, often months or even years after the acts occurred.

Employees were often made to pay for poor estimating by making up schedule gaps with forced overtime. I recall many late nights where engineers worked until late to get a product out, often against their will. They were, of course, told they were free to go home, but the unspoken consequences were well known.

The company has a culture of intellectual elitism, where employees don't respect others unless they can trump them at a game of engineering analysis, hence whiteboards proliferate every desk, so employees can self-appoint themselves as teachers on the fly. Information exchange and learning is important, but at this company it pervades in a constant sense of intellectual one-upsmanship. This was confirmed when working at other emngineering companies, where the general impression of SEL is that they have great customer service, but don't really seem to value true diversity, as you don't fit the culture if you're not an uber-analytic type, and hence maybe great at engineering, but perhaps contributing to an imbalanced culture.
Pros
Employee lunch, small town atmosphere
Cons
Small town atmosphere, imbalanced culture, management that doesn't live up to its own values
Worked in field office
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLJuly 16, 2015
I worked in one of the field offices. The headquarters is in Pullman, Washington. Good solid company. Working in field office is different from working at headquarters. Less access to some resources but more relaxed environment.
engaging environment. challenging. and fun.
Assembler/trainer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMay 10, 2015
I loved this company not only for its stellar product development and mission but ultimately on how well they treated their employee's. the benefits were incredible. lots of on the job training and great chances for advancement.
Pros
great pay, excelent benifits, good working environment.
Cons
not much I can think of.
Great place to work!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 31, 2015
This is an outstanding place to work. The people the advancement and everything is geared around keeping their work force.
Cons
Fun and fast-paced environment with great co-workers!
Mechanical Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAMarch 21, 2015
SEL is an amazing company to work for. There are great opportunities for advancement in this fast growing company. The work environment is great! Everyone is very friendly and willing to teach you about the products and the company. There is a lot of opportunity for overtime.
Pros
catered lunches on fridays, great benefits packages
GREAT Company
Manufacturing Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAFebruary 12, 2015
8 or 9 hour shifts

Learned about manufacturing

GREAT Management

Good people to work with

Uncertainty about shift length was hardest part

Best part was the feeling that this is a good company
Quality Driven Processes
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAFebruary 11, 2015
SEL is a data driven company with a high focus on quality and process improvement. SEL manufactures equipment for the electric power grid and industrial control equipment.
Pros
friday lunch.
Cons
small town drama.

Want to know more about Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories?

Ask a question
Stellar company
FINAL ASSEMBLY LINE LEAD (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WADecember 12, 2014
Fantastic place to work with plenty of career growth. Day to day was always something new and challenging. I learned how to manage a group of co workers, how to help solve ethical dilemmas.
Pros
great benefits, wages, job culture
Cons
middle management can be a pain with constant micromanaging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fair Oaks Ranch, TXSeptember 3, 2014
This is a great company. However if you do not fit in the crowd you are left on your own. The location I worked at was a small city and small personel population and they were a tight bunch before I even started. They are very strict. So mistakes are not allowed. Make sure you are sharp and perfect at what you do.
So amazing
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAJuly 3, 2014
It was a great place to work they were nice to there employees and advancement seemed very easy to do if u stayed there long enough.
Good Company
Customer Service/operator - Current Employer (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAMay 22, 2014
Treats employees well, good work environment. Promotes from within.
Pros
great benefits, great people
Cons
pay could be better
Greatest Engineering Lab
Test Operator (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAApril 23, 2014
Great people to work with
Helped to develop Quality Products
Diverse, hardworking and yet social environment
PROJECT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJanuary 13, 2014
Everyone works well autonomously and yet we're very much a team!
Pros
casual environment with flexible core hours, free friday lunch meetings, gym membership and education benefits.
Cons
no field offices in connecticut and that's where i need to be!
Productive work place
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 9, 2013
I liked some of the people there, but it seemed as if some management were incompetent and needed reviewed because half of them didn't know what was going on for the most part. Learned a lot of stuff though being a part of the team such as reading wire diagrams, re-work if needed, inspection and assembly of a quality product.
Pros
great benefits, free lunch on fridays
Cons
could work tons of ot constantly
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAJuly 26, 2013
While working at SEL I enjoyed my time there, it is a great place to work. Great culture and values, amazing dynamic of people. While I worked there I was able to attend classes that helped me become a better writer and truly understand writing in a business setting. I truly enjoyed the Friday Lunches that the company would put on for the employees to sit down and learn about updates in the company.
Pros
great benefits, company lunches, dynamic team of people to work with.
Reliable work and enjoyable company
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMay 28, 2013
SEL is a great company that leads the industry in making power safer, more reliable and more economical. The typical work is challenging but simple and there is always something new and interesting to work on and learn. The management is interactive with their departments and your co-workers are friendly and honestly interested in each other. The company values are easy to understand and the culture is wonderful to be a part of. The hardest part of working with SEL is the overtime hours. However it was a fun experience and I enjoyed working for the company.
Pros
weekly company wide meetings, esop, great benefits
Cons
ot hours
Fun workplace where much is learned!
Marketing Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WashingtonMay 7, 2012
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories mission is to make electrical power safer, more reliable, and more economical. They create safe electrical products such as relays and smart grid application solutions for utility and power generation companies. My position is to aid other departments with research regarding potential product line or market extensions, competitor pricing and product information, and customer service analysis.
Pros
complimentary friday lunch and presentations
Cons
quiet and serious work environment

4.3