SCHWERMAN TRUCKING Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time with them
Over the road Tanker Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Always treated me fair, and always worked with me if I needed to be home. And tried to keep me busy even during slow periods. And we were normally on dedicated routes
Pros
Great dispatcher
Cons
working schedule wasn't constant
stressful not enough work
Professional cdl-a truck driver (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 2, 2017
very competitive to many employees sometimes only took one load out a day 24 hr on call work every other weekend very stressful sometimes didn't work for two or more days
Pros
good equipment
Cons
not enough work for all employees
Productive job
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 1, 2017
Great place to work overall. Great management and good environment. Easiest part of the job is simply loading, unloading and driving. One of the easiest jobs ive ever had. The hardest part about the job is not knowing what hours you will work or how long you will be at work, as well being on call was hard for me. A lot of times you get called and have about 30 min to hour to get to work.
Pros
Easiest job ive ever had.
Cons
Not knowing what hours you will work and when will you work.
Bulk Driver (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 27, 2017
I still working with nice people here.I have nice feeling every single day when i comes to work but now i want to make change to work for US postal job.
Pros
Not a good place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wilmer, TXMarch 6, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone. There is no yearly raise. The shop is very small and hard to work in. They lack a lot of basic tools most shops have making your job a lot harder. The management doesn't really seem to care about the employees or the company just there to get a pay check.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
No yearly raise, no sick or personal days
Corporate is very nice and helpful when in need
Billing Clerk/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 21, 2017
A typical day at work is being able to interact with the customer, drivers and other terminals. The hardest part of the job is waiting to receive orders from the customer for the next day. It makes the day go by slow.
Pros
Insurance and cooking for the drivers whenever we wanted too
Dead end job no future growth
Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 5, 2017
work 12 to 15 hours a day and pay averages out to $9 to $10 an hour. There is not much to say about this company its a dead end job with no future.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no pay
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2016
I do both liquid and dry, so my day's vary from maybe a short liquid run to a long one. It's the same for the dry side.
Management at our terminal is great. My dispatcher is great and I love working for her. Shop is good about addressing problems with equipment and keeping your truck up and running.
I have made good friends with my co-workers who are fun to work with and some of the older drivers will help you out when your going to a location you've never been before. Great family atmosphere. I worked for other companies before starting here and I feel I've found a home.
Pros
Good equipment and great shop and managment. Good home time.
Cons
Good
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 24, 2016
Schwerman is a good place to work. They keep up their equipment and take care of their drivers. Good employer for all ages
Nice place to work with most co workers
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXApril 20, 2016
The drivers are great people, some of the office staff was ok. They brought one in that was just uncouth and disgraceful to even be allowed to be there.
They seem to go thru drivers and terminal managers VERY quickly. Would be a great place if could get it together.
Pros
Flexible about schedule with family time
Cons
No advancement for ones with ambition
I only worked here for a month in training but was treated right and real the whole time
OTR Tanker (Former Employee) –  Walbridge, OHApril 5, 2016
Another company willing to give you a chance when your just starting out. I was offered a years experience fresh out of driving school because of my prior military experience. The whole staff was professional and accommodating. I just didn't have enough experience at the time to continue. They do tankers with some HazMat so you really have to know what your doing
Pros
one of the good larger companys
Cons
experience
Terminal Mgr.
Terminal Manager, Dispatcher, Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Meredosia, ILDecember 16, 2015
My day starts about 6am I do a lot check and check all equipment for needing pm's plan the day for the mechanics and handle all dispatch needs and shop needs, close all invoices to shop , scan all bills for loads that came in from the drivers and close repair orders.
get pay roll ready to send to the corporate office.
coordinate loading of loads at Celanese and BPC Plastics.
some times load the loads at the plastic plant.
My co-workers are willing to do what needs to be done to get the job done.
I enjoy this job due to being around people and the challenge to daily changes.
The hardest thing is handling the Drivers all are different.
Generally Good Job
Sand Hauler (Former Employee) –  Brady, TXApril 16, 2015
Typical day consisted of 12 hour shifts from 6pm-6am, 4 days on with 2 days off. I loved actually going home every day and having scheduled days off that I knew were coming in advance so I could make plans. I hauled sand from various sand plants around Brady and Voca Texas. Super easy job, inexpensive benefits that went into affect after 30 days instead of 90 days like most employers. Bad things were that management changed, work schedule changed to only 1 day off a week and layoffs.
productive work place
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston TxMarch 12, 2015
Supervise shop mechanic's and enter repair order's. Check over the Vcr's and pm schule fo set work for the day. Check on any outside repairs done at truck dealerships. Order parts that were not in inventory to complete repairs. Help mechanics with diagnoise on the trucks and trailers in the shop. Completed any HM 183 inspection needed on trailers. Run service calls on trucks and trailers when broke down in Houston area.
Store Manager
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 30, 2014
Responsible for running of the store. Switched careers and went to driving an eighteen wheeler. I am grateful for job, but had to move on.
Pros
8 hour day
Cons
$$$
A great place to start your trucking career.
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 25, 2014
I was a CDL A cement hauler from the cement plant to customers siloes. I drove 200 miles average a day. I got an assigned trucks. I learned a lot about driving and the driver training guys were great. The job was fairly easy and we got payed by the load. the farther I drove the more money I made. I love to be able to stay in my Truck overnight in different places. They took care of their trucks and their personal was great.
Pros
Great driver training.Good benefits. Great family oriented company.
Cons
Paid by the load.Being on call, you can go from working days too working nights in just a few days.
Got to see a lot of areas
Driver (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 22, 2014
It was ok got to do a lot of driving and going to new places that i didnt get to go before
Pros
a percentage of the loads
Cons
not to big on days off
Countinous work, needs improvement on logistics
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 2, 2013
Good customer base
tanker operations
co - workers are good
management is new,
nothing hard
enjoyed the open road
Pros
Health care
Cons
driver logistics
Not consistent
Chemical Tank Driver (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 2, 2013
Equipment failure, typical day at work was hustling to get a load.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Not the amount of money promised, and they didnt like repairing equipment issues
Treated like a number not a person
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 24, 2013
Low compensation for the hours you work. You can make decent money but you have to max out your hours every week to do this. Not paid for dead heading. Equipment is old and worn out. Trailers are in great need of PM and some are very old with gauges that do not work or not calibrated. Trucks left at terminal over night are subject to theft. One key fits all. Always a fight to get compensated for waiting time. The people net is a plus. I worked for 4.5 years, quit because of bad management. Was asked to come back and did. It was worse this time around. I will not work for this company again. Or recommend any driver with self respect to do so. There is a shortage of drivers, we do have a choice and we should use it.
Pros
People Net logs
Cons
Poor equipment and very long hours