SCHWERMAN TRUCKING Employee Reviews in United States

I only worked here for a month in training but was treated right and real the whole time
OTR Tanker (Former Employee) –  Walbridge, OHApril 5, 2016
Another company willing to give you a chance when your just starting out. I was offered a years experience fresh out of driving school because of my prior military experience. The whole staff was professional and accommodating. I just didn't have enough experience at the time to continue. They do tankers with some HazMat so you really have to know what your doing
Pros
one of the good larger companys
Cons
experience
Terminal Mgr.
Terminal Manager, Dispatcher, Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Meredosia, ILDecember 16, 2015
My day starts about 6am I do a lot check and check all equipment for needing pm's plan the day for the mechanics and handle all dispatch needs and shop needs, close all invoices to shop , scan all bills for loads that came in from the drivers and close repair orders.
get pay roll ready to send to the corporate office.
coordinate loading of loads at Celanese and BPC Plastics.
some times load the loads at the plastic plant.
My co-workers are willing to do what needs to be done to get the job done.
I enjoy this job due to being around people and the challenge to daily changes.
The hardest thing is handling the Drivers all are different.
Generally Good Job
Sand Hauler (Former Employee) –  Brady, TXApril 16, 2015
Typical day consisted of 12 hour shifts from 6pm-6am, 4 days on with 2 days off. I loved actually going home every day and having scheduled days off that I knew were coming in advance so I could make plans. I hauled sand from various sand plants around Brady and Voca Texas. Super easy job, inexpensive benefits that went into affect after 30 days instead of 90 days like most employers. Bad things were that management changed, work schedule changed to only 1 day off a week and layoffs.
productive work place
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston TxMarch 12, 2015
Supervise shop mechanic's and enter repair order's. Check over the Vcr's and pm schule fo set work for the day. Check on any outside repairs done at truck dealerships. Order parts that were not in inventory to complete repairs. Help mechanics with diagnoise on the trucks and trailers in the shop. Completed any HM 183 inspection needed on trailers. Run service calls on trucks and trailers when broke down in Houston area.
Store Manager
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 30, 2014
Responsible for running of the store. Switched careers and went to driving an eighteen wheeler. I am grateful for job, but had to move on.
Pros
8 hour day
Cons
$$$
A great place to start your trucking career.
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 25, 2014
I was a CDL A cement hauler from the cement plant to customers siloes. I drove 200 miles average a day. I got an assigned trucks. I learned a lot about driving and the driver training guys were great. The job was fairly easy and we got payed by the load. the farther I drove the more money I made. I love to be able to stay in my Truck overnight in different places. They took care of their trucks and their personal was great.
Pros
great driver training.good benefits. great family oriented company.
Cons
paid by the load.being on call, you can go from working days too working nights in just a few days.
Got to see a lot of areas
Driver (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 22, 2014
It was ok got to do a lot of driving and going to new places that i didnt get to go before
Pros
a percentage of the loads
Cons
not to big on days off
Countinous work, needs improvement on logistics
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 2, 2013
Good customer base
tanker operations
co - workers are good
management is new,
nothing hard
enjoyed the open road
Pros
health care
Cons
driver logistics
Not consistent
Chemical Tank Driver (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 2, 2013
Equipment failure, typical day at work was hustling to get a load.
Pros
no pros
Cons
not the amount of money promised, and they didnt like repairing equipment issues
Treated like a number not a person
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 24, 2013
Low compensation for the hours you work. You can make decent money but you have to max out your hours every week to do this. Not paid for dead heading. Equipment is old and worn out. Trailers are in great need of PM and some are very old with gauges that do not work or not calibrated. Trucks left at terminal over night are subject to theft. One key fits all. Always a fight to get compensated for waiting time. The people net is a plus. I worked for 4.5 years, quit because of bad management. Was asked to come back and did. It was worse this time around. I will not work for this company again. Or recommend any driver with self respect to do so. There is a shortage of drivers, we do have a choice and we should use it.
Pros
people net logs
Cons
poor equipment and very long hours
Great pay, geat people
Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Bear, DEApril 8, 2013
I loved this job but my back didn't. A tanker can be unforgiving with its surges. Nothing bad to say about this company.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard on your back
Logistics Manager
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 28, 2013
Schwerman is managed by its Operations manager and its Logistics Manager (Driver Manager). The Operation Manager works extremley close with Driver Manager in the day to day operations. The job of of the DM is high stress and requires focus and consentration to complete with accuracy. It consist of multi tasking. The DM interviews, hires, completes all new hire paper work and orientation, cordinates deliveries, payroll and billing. The hardest part of the job is the challenge it offers on a day to day bases. The largest challenge is assuring the load in a timely matter with un expected obsticles, this comes with the task of creative thinking and excellent customer service in order to achieve successful damage control witht he customer. The job offered great rewards as well, the OM, DM and drivers worked well together to give quality service to the customers.
Pros
great work atmosphere
Cons
company raises were yearly and extremely low
Stable Work good pay.
Tank Driver (Former Employee) –  , TXMarch 9, 2012
Good company to work for,stable work,good benefits,reasonable home time;various areas to run from a regional perspective,always keep you moving and not much down time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a