SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Not a place for a career
Quality Improvement Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2015
If your dream is to be a social worker and obtain your MSW/LMSW and make an impact while simultaneously being able to take care of yourself, look else where. Though I can attest that I have grown as an individual here, I am a single father with two kids. Thus, above all else, I need to provide for them and this place simply does not provide the adequate means to do so.

If it weren't for an excellent supervisor and director, I would have flew the coop ages ago. The agency has a "pass the buck" mentality that I do not appreciate and, even amongst some, the concept of going above and beyond for our clients is not shared. The fault for this thinking falls squarely on an agency that for many years has attempted to grow horizontally, yet fails to make the strides necessary to grow from within and build a strong foundation that will begin to transform the very nature of the company.

How are workers suppose to service at-risk families, youths, and other similar clientele when a worker in question is worried about how they are going to pay for their light bill? Majority of the agency makes enough to NOT qualify for Food Stamps and Subsidized Childcare, but makes no where near enough to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment and all the other miscellaneous expenses that come with travel, kids and the like. Yet the agency has the notion that you should be going above and beyond for our clients.

Here's an idea SCO. How about you treat your employees the way you expect your employees to treat their clients. Then you won't have things like a high job turnover rate and a general
  more... "blah" mentality towards the work that is suppose to be making an impact on the lives of those less fortunate. When a worker can look across the table, and come to the realization that, one missed check, getting gravely sick or any number of other missteps that occur in one's life can lead them to be sitting on the very chair of the person that we are supposed to be servicing to the best of our capabilities.

Think about that for a moment the next time you send me an annual memo stating that their won't be yet another salary increase but continue to fight for us in other ways that, in the grand scheme of things, don't add up fast enough to make a difference. Now excuse me, I will be servicing a client right now.

May anyone who reads this have a Wonderful Day.
Pros
Great Supervisor and Director
Cons
Lousy Pay, very little benefits
Work here if you dont mind going crazy and getting underpaid
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brentwood , NYMay 19, 2012
This is the most stressful job a person can take and the pay, like most non profit jobs is deplorable. I should also add that the management their AKA Supervisors will often overload you will too many cases, giving you an impossible caseload to complete and expect you to handle all the paperwork for all these cases.

For example, my job description stated a caseload of 16 children. I had 23 at one point. Some cases were upstate , some Brooklyn and you can expect to go to the best neighborhoods to visit the Foster Moms in their project apartments with no protection what so ever. Thats ok because supervisors their continue to blame the case workers if anything goes wrong, say if they book a case worker to watch 5 children in a supervised room but they are alone and are also asked to watch a family of 9 simultaneously. So what if one mother escapes with her children? Well it is the case workers fault of course for turning her back for 5 seconds to check on other people in a different room that they were wrongly responsible for supervising as it is AGAINST their policy for one worker to watch THAT many people. The supervisor in this case though, hid all evidence of that and blamed the caseworker. Also a lot of the management there are extremely mentally unstable. I often received mean and insulting text messages during off work hours from my supervisor on my private phone by the way which of course they did not pay for in any way. I had a total of 1000 texts from this woman after only 6 months of working her department. Most of them insulting. I was going to file them with their
  more... HR department but I figured if she were there 20 years they must know what a deranged woman she truly is. She also cried in front of me on a regular basis which made my work environment very uncomfortable and awkward. The management their has no concerns of the safety of their caseworkers. They appear to care for the foster children yet allow unbelievable large caseloads to be placed on workers who have no way of devoting the proper time to that many cases. A real shock when we find out a foster child is being abused! They also make people work over time then offer it back to them as comp time to save themselves more money off their workers by avoiding overtime. Well good luck finding time to take that vacation time and comp time when they are constantly under staffed and have no one to cover for you.  less
Pros
5 weeks off a year, freedom to travel during work day
Cons
insane caseloads, supervisors with tenure who are mentally unstable

Comment – May 22, 2012

This is a stressful position and you are not paid for the amount of work expected. The supervisors are not supportive and overload you with work. The training lacks in this position and you are not able to truly advocate for your clients. Therapy is restrained and you are not provided with clinical experience as a Social Worker. The position does not require travel as a therapist but you are given 25 plus children to see in therapy and most attend school which you can only see after 4 pm. The supervisor does not respect the employees or the foster parents. The supervisiors are cold and can be demeaning towards the biological family and the foster child. If you would like a position to grow as a LMSW this is not the position.

Comment – October 2, 2012

damm and i thought maintenance had it bad

Homely and most of the time, a relaxed atmosphere. I enjoy my work for the most part but unable to accept stagnant salary and lack of room for growth.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, NYJune 20, 2013
A typical day or night (since I work nights) in my field at SCO entails briefly greeting the 6 teenage girls currently in the care of the treatment center and making myself available to them in case they need to discuss a personal matter with me or addresing something I am already aware of. After addressing any pressing need my fellow staff-worker and I work at keeping the girls calm and relaxed so as to prepare them for bed.
Once the girls are in bed and all overhead lights turned off in their rooms the staff alternates montioring the girls and making sure the house is in order for the next day.
As morning approaches we execute our schedule of awaking each girl so as to enable them to get ready to get to school and group classes on time. When the last girl is off to school, the overnight staff complete their paperwork and go off duty.
Working at SCO has taught me the importance of family and the need to be careful how I react to trauma and stress as this inevitably affect others both inside and outside the family.
Management at SCO at times feel like being with famly. Great effort is made to maintain the feel of a family setting so that the girls feel secure and almost at home. My co-workers become siblings and aunts as we attempt to work together for the benefit of the girls; even staff meeting have the atmosphere of family meetings.
The most difficult part of my job is learning the balance of maintaining a family-like setting but never allowing yourself or the girls to make the mistake of viewing the treatment center as 'home'. The goal is to reacquaint the girls with family
  more... members within months and assist them in coping with their anger, fears and diagnoses using coping skills learned through personal and family therapy sessions to not over-react to stress and trauma both past and present.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the girls who succeed at this go home and to be able to follow their future successes as they inform us of the goals that they attain and express their appreciation for the assistance they received at SCO.
Pros
free meals at work; home-like setting; close to my home.
Cons
low salary; girls all have psych dx due to past trauma; lack of night rest.
Do not work here if you want to remain happy, healthy and have a sense of integrity
Family Support (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 12, 2014
My experience with this organization has been awful. Lack of training, low salary and proper supervision. Management does not care about it's employees unless you are in their clique. What a toxic, non supportive and "every man for themselves" kind of environment. Extreme lack of communication, having to deal with bad attitudes, having to deal with people yelling, having no formal training,working without a job description, having a director with lack of empathy.
I would like to note some of SCO Family Services values which include Excellence, – “we dedicate ourselves to the highest standards of practice and performance and strive to achieve excellence and professionalism in all we do”, Effective – “we produce results by motivating and supporting each person and family we serve so they can meet and exceed their personal goals” Compassion – “we provide deep empathy and a safe, caring environment that enriches each life we touch”.
I know this applies to the families and individuals that they serve but why not their workers? Doesn’t it start with the family, the family being SCO or lead by example. A director lacking empathy and just pure disdain for the profession and subordinators cannot be a great leader.
Pros
the kids
Cons
too many
The waiver services (educational advocacy) were carried out by paying visits to schools to evaluate educational services and proffer suggestins
Waiver Service Provider-Advocacy (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2015
A typical day was visits to client's home to assess the learning situation and the overall care. Clients are also visited in their respective schools to assess the Individual Educational Progress (IEP) is being accomplished. One can advocate for a child to move be moved to a normal school program if the child has shown proficiency in learning. This would be discussed with the SCO Supervisor at a meeting with guardians or parents.
What I learned is that some children because of isolated incidence reports of misdemeanor may be placed in the wrong grouping of very badly behaved students and start acting to type. Without the right intervention, the child is doomed and learning is limited.
Management coordinates workers properly and co-workers remain helpful to colleagues.
The hardest part of the job is that one is never in a fixed working place. One is assigned to cases which can be anywhere and the pay is per diem and the cases can be far in between.
The most enjoyable part is that the client trusts you can solve their problems by suggesting to management the solutions to their predicament.
Pros
Free lunches are served during training seesions
Cons
The remunerations are not fixed.
Going downhill fast
After-School Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bed-Stuy BeaconApril 17, 2013
I used to work at the Beacon afterschool in Bed-Stuy for a few years (back in 2000-2002). I loved it then but I had to leave when I got pregnant. The directors really cared about the kids and the people who worked there. No one played favorites. My kids could not get enough of it. Now, the people act like they're doing you a favor. Everyone of the old staff is gone now and the new people don't want to be there. You can't pay a kid to go in their now and they don't have nothing going on for the community except private birthday parties. The directors do whatever they want to do because they not being watched. Who's even in charge anymore in this agency. Only thing good was the pay and I can admit that they used to try to move their people up to better positions. You didn't mind staying late because the directors really appreciated it and even gave you some perks for staying (like coming in later next day without messing with your check).
Pros
none any more.
Cons
the current staff
Family oriented and flexible
Program Director/Director of Quality Improvement (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 23, 2013
SCO Family of Services employs some of the most dedicated and caring individuals I have ever known. Working with disabled children in the foster care setting is a daunting task, but it is one that is met with determination and hope. Many days a handful of administrators stay at work late into the night not just to get work completed, but to set up a comfortable and nurturing atmoshpere for front line workers.

The hardest part of the job as Director of Quality Improvement is telling people where they need to improve without having the authority to enforce regulations. The goal is to uphold the highest possible standard, and to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations. Many individuals see QI as being punative, but the goal is to help the program and agency remain healthy so that services can be delivered to the most vulnerable populations even under heavy fiscal pressure.
Pros
opportunity for advancement, family oriented, excellent reputation
Cons
multiple layers of management slows decision-making
CASE WORKER/SOCIAL WORKER
Therapeutic Case Worker/Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 10, 2014
I have been a case woker/social worker within SCO Family of Services for over 2 years now and everyday is different! Whether I am dealing with emergencies with different clients or spending most of my morning or afternoon documenting all of my monthly contacts, you never know what to expect on a day to day basis while working as a case worker in therapeutic foster care. I have learned to manage my time and prioritize my work as well as learning about different cultural backgrounds of clients and ethnicities. I have been given the opportunity to work with a very special population of children that need specific mental health needs/services and I do my absolute best to make sure that they are receiving the services they need to continue to live a healthy life in a safe environment. I enjoy making a difference in the lives of these children in foster care, however the hardest part of my job is spending the time making the connection with clients who eventually in the end, move on to live with their parents or become adopted into loving families.
Pros
health care benefits, reimbursement for traveling
Cons
traveling over 50% of the time
Overworked, overlooked, overloaded
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2014
SCO has no regard for staff on any level- they do not practice what they preach- extraordinary reach is what is expected of staff- no training or supervision provided- they combine multiple jobs to cut their overhead costs and blame the staff when last minute deadlines and demands aren't met- unconditional care is just a cover- upper management couldn't care less about your needs- and staff is constantly expected to sacrifice their own families to meet the unreasonable demands being made- life changing results? Well the major life change you can expect from SCO is stress and the health issues that follow- vacation is usually denied if you ask for time especially if you dare say no to unfairly added responsibilities that are in no way part of your job description- if you are looking for a job just to get your feet wet in the workforce- the the abuse of SCO will prepare you for anything
Pros
they will use you and get all they can out of you
Cons
they will toss you like last weeks left overs
worst place to work
direct care worker (Former Employee) –  deer park, NyJanuary 19, 2015
First let me say that it took a total or 3 months to get hired from the day I submitted my application now the job seemed pretty easy and manageable as I worked overnite But boy was I fooled ok my first paycheck I had accumulated over 120 hours I was paid for because no one wanted to come in on time or at all secondly I worked about a month before I was sent to basic orientation Then before I could go for my tci training I was terminated because I didnt write an incident up they exact way they had wanted me too when I was never trained on how to write the incident up at all also there is not team even though they preach about working together as a team everyone does what they wanna do when they wanna and they will leave you out to hang when an incident takes place
Pros
kids are great
Cons
management has no clue what they are doing
Productive and Goal Oriented Team
Transitional Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 29, 2015
I've loved to work in the human services field now for over 12 years. SCO Family of Services has entrusted me to design a Vocational Program that services our clients based on their individual needs, interests and abilities.

SCO Family of Services is a very supportive and affirming organization focusing on the clients but also very in tune with the professionals that work with those clients, making sure that we are happy and able to perform our daily duties with as least hiccups as possible.

On a day to day basis I enjoy working with my present and past clients, assisting them identify and move one step closer to achieving their personal and professional goals.

The hardest part of my job is the transportation to and from home, as I recently moved to Union County in New Jersey and my job is based within the 5 boroughs of New York City.
Pros
client relations, great team and benefits package.
Cons
traveling distance to and from work (nj to ny)
Do no work here if you want to remain a happy person
Foster care caseworker (Current Employee) –  BrooklynJuly 2, 2014
I made a very big mistake taking this job. The case loads can be very demanding, especially if you have cases in different boroughs. Management does not give a single dam about the stress levels of their caseworkers, and flat out ignore legitimate concerns/complaints. The turnover rate is very high, but I have been told from the older workers that it recently got very unorganized and bad only this year. Do not work here. Work anywhere else. Stay far away from this place. "It is a place of shrieks. It is not happy."
Pros
fantastic and loving coworkers who support you 24/7, and i wish i could work with them for the rest of my life. they are lovely people.
Cons
lowest pay among nyc caseworkers, very stressful, zero support from upper management, paperwork is enormous
It was a Job
Admin (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodSeptember 2, 2015
SCO pays very low and you are basiclly working for free with the amount of work you get and your pay. It is a great place to gain experience, but after that get out ASAP. They will never vaule you, your time or your work. AED, CPO, ED, and Directors are the only ones who get money and they constantly pass the buck to those below and always play the blame game. Supervisors and staff at the brentwood office are rascits and do not like black/hispanc staff or foster children/parents. People who quit or get fired do not get replaced they just add more work to other people.

My overall exp at SCO has been in the middle. I am grateful because I was able to gain the exp I need to find a new and better position and I was able to transfer to a new position during my time at SCO so that was good.
Pros
Benefits, flexible
Cons
pay, managment
Friendly
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
A day of work at SCO varies some days are good and others are are not. I always ensure that the kids i'm responsible for are doing there homework and understanding what they are doing. I've learned to have patients because all these kids want is to be heard and understood. So with that come an open ear at all times. My co workers are supportive and they help out a lot in difficult situations. We get along very well with just keeping it professional at all times. The hardest part of the job has to be keeping it clean during lunch time. The younger kids tend to drop food on the floor no matter what. I say that because they eat 3 times a day. The most enjoyable part has to be seeing the kids play, laugh, and smile. It brightens up my day with just that. making sure that they are having fun and enjoying themselves.
SCO is a non-profit relying on government funds to support. Due to government cut backs, SCO is in transition, and appears disorganized.
Sr Accountant (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYMay 29, 2013
My typical day was spent in excel preparing Income and Expense reports for the programs I was responsible for.
I learned how the government funds programs and the amount of detail they require before they will reimburse for the contracted expenses.
The management at SCO, in my opinion, was weak, there was little to no communication and no effort was made to get the department on the same page.
My co-workers were all good, hard working, honest and dependable.
The hardest part of the job was working around the disorganization within the department.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling you get when you know that you have done your job as well as it can be done.
Pros
short work week (35 hours)--short commute--liberal vacation policy
Cons
disorganized--tense atmosphere
Inconvenient Sporadic Employment
Support and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2015
The paperwork is really what you get paid for, but for a job that required you to be incredibly flexible, would not let you come into the office at an early hour to submit your report at the beginning of the day. I had a tight schedule as I was in school, and I thought the flexibility of the Job would be ideal, but instead it was non-existent.

In addition, Waiver Service Providers get reimbursed for a VERY small amount of money to take children out to respite; there's no stipend.

Lastly, this is not a solid Job; you have to work up to cases for a few months. Starting out you're lucky if you're working at most 16 hours per week, so getting paid 17-30 per hour really doesn't put much food on your table.
Former Employee - july 2011 b2h brooklyn site
Quality Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkApril 13, 2013
It was the worst place I ever worked out. The directors running the program was disorganize didn't know what they were doing. The program directors and HCI supervisors favored certain employees over other people. The hardest part about working there was the lack of office space people were sitting too close to each other and some of the co-workers would try to get into your personal life. Also, the program directors were the same way they would try to get into personal business asking a bunch of personal questions. I hated it. I was treated very poorly in the place because I was quiet, just did my work, and I didn't participate in the socializing that would be going on in the office.
Cons
constant favoritism that program directors and supervisors had for other workers, relatively low pay for my msw, uncomfortable work environment, people sitting to close to each other, disorganization
Productive and learning atmostphere
Health Care Integrator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 14, 2015
What I learned? You must be very meticulous on how you closely monitor work assignments, and preventing error.

Co-workers - Lesson learned, every person is for self and fighting to keep their job.

Hardest part of the job - Overseeing not just staff but reviewing Medicaid Waiver budget to ensure over utilization of services is not eating up the entire budget. Also misconduct of others in the workplace, and other work related issues that can cause conflict, but at the end, we all realized the job is the major key component of success.

Most enjoyable part of the job are the Families & children, including the staff. They bring happiness and joy to you whenever there's sadness. The staff are very encouraging and supportive.
Pros
flexible
Cons
none at this time
This job is not a good one in the least bit.
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkJune 21, 2014
I just started working at SCO and I hate it already. I already started working and have yet received an email from HR explaining salary and benefits in order to get paid!! But they waste no time giving you a caseload WITHOUT TRAINING YOU in the least bit. So you're literally figuring out everything on your own. Its long hours and they don't pay you extra for them. If you don't have a car please don't do this to yourself and start this position. You will always have to travel in order to do home visits and supervised visits and travel back and forth between their agencies This place is HIGHLY unorganized on all levels. Let's just say I will be looking for another job really soon.
Cons
unorganized, zero support from supervisors, long hours and no extra pay, just horrible!!
Summary of SCO
Assistant Supervisor/Senior Worker (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYApril 24, 2012
A topical day at SCO could be challenging. This job was such a different environment from YAI. I worked for about 10 years at the sea cliff campus which housed about 75 children with severe behavioral problems. Some days these children can be a pleasure and some days you can be hit, spit on, cursed, threatened. I learned in this environment not to take things personal or you will not survive. When it came to management it was about who you knew advancement wasn't as frequent like the environment at YAI. The staff in which they choose to work for them in my opinion is not as professional as the staff YAI provides. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the staff which can be challenging. The most enjoyable part that I truly miss was the children. This was my first job in this field which made me realize that this field is for me.
Pros
children, overtime
Cons
management