SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Very productive workplace
custodian (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 29, 2017
Being to hold down the entire facility by myself.
I enjoyed what .I enjoy being a custodian and my line of , that way I'm gonna perform to the fullest and get the job done right the first time.
It was a nice place
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYMarch 6, 2017
We took care of mentally challenged individuals. I had to address their needs and wants. Try to calm them down when they got upset. Sometimes we go out on outings.
Pros
The staff was nice
Cons
manager turned out to be not so nice
Productive/team work
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMarch 3, 2017
In the 20 years working at SCO Family of Services, I have grown as a person, I work well with others and learned different positions at my work place. I enjoy assisting others in need and have become a dedicated employee. One of the hardest parts of the job is not being able to get assistance to a family in need because of funding. The most enjoyable part of working for SCO Family of services is that everyone helps each other.
sco review
1 Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the toddlers

The hardest part was dealing with Over competent co workers , i learned about the development of toddlers. also about their thought process
Productive and fun place to work with teenage girls who have psychiatric history. Very awarding job
Therapeutic Counselor (Current Employee) –  DixFebruary 23, 2017
Love working here, it is very awarding to know that you can help someone achieve their goals and coping skills within the time that they are there. Also to see them succeed in life and to know that you had something to do with that. It is a great feeling. This job is for those who want to help others rather than get rich... this is a job profit organization and there is not much room for advancement.
Pros
Free meals, outings with residents
I made it so long due to my supportive supervisor
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2017
I enjoyed working with SCO in Brooklyn.
The staff here was very supportive.
Family orientated
Hard to work at times if you have a family at home and you need to supervise parent child visits.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Good starting place to strengthen your skills.
Health Care Integrator (Former Employee) –  Dix Hills, NYFebruary 19, 2017
Good initial training, but not much support or follow up after that. It would be beneficial to assign mentors to field workers, Supervision can be minimum to unhelpful depending on your supervisor. Management follows the hierarchy style; with limited access from front line workers. Some days (or months) are very stressful in particular towards the end of the month when billing and a constellation of additional documents with limited time frame needs to be approved and submitted. The worst part of the job is the limited time frame to submit complex required documentation. The best part is the interaction with children and family. Workplace culture is ok.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Everything needs to be approved before submission, fair supervision, billing cycle, favoritism, unaccessible management
My worst working experience
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens Village, NYFebruary 8, 2017
A work day was ok but there is no structure so the kids get away with everything. Management talks to you any way they feel. You are very expendable so remember to cover yourself.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Your very expendable
excellent work place
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 6, 2017
a typical day consists of answering emails, answering phone calls, and doing paper work. learned to assist youth and work interdependently with other workers. management was open and responsive. work place culture was relaxed yet serious and humorous. most enjoyable part was viewing youth successfully move on with their lives.
Pros
relaxed job atmosphere
Cons
need more breaks
learned alot
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 5, 2017
I learned what it meant to be a hard working person. I learned a lot of new things being that this was my second realy job when I was younger.
a palce to help others
ICF manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
Good organization. Room for growth within the agency. Hardworking management and staff. Strong encouragement towards team building. Agency has some friendly staff and manag
Good job. Hard work for little pay.
Foster Care Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I will start by saying that I love my job. The office as a whole works well together. There have been some recent changes that do not necessarily help the children we serve.

You must have an open mind and a strong will to be able to effectively do this job. This particular employer is a great place to gain experience and learn a lot about the field of Foster Care. I would not recommend working at SCO unless it is at the Brentwood location.

The pay is not equivalent to the hard work we do. The personal time we accrue is very very good though.

Dear Current Employee,
Your comments about your current employment at SCO Family of Services is greatly appreciated. As an agency, we love to hear feedback from both current and former employees. Thank you for pointing out the generous paid time off offered by SCO as it is a major part of our overall compensation package.

Great organization.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2017
These organizations are the standard for education. Other states look to see what they are doing and follow their lead. It is great to be a part of this leader in education.
Pros
Constant training's that keeps you informed.
Unfortunately the supervisors are unprofessional
Childcare Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens Village, NYJanuary 13, 2017
As long as I've been with the company the pay is not enough.The youth are amazing once you get to know them and thats what I look forward too. There is no room for advancement and employees have no voice in what goes on. They do not care enough about their workers and it sucks that we are overlooked all the time. Our opinions never matter even if it's to benefit the program.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No breaks, underpaid

Dear Current Employee,
Thank you for reviewing your current role as a Childcare Worker in Queens Village. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our management team. If you have any further comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact us at HR@sco.org

Intimate environment
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 12, 2017
If you're not there for the children don't apply. It's rarely about the children. It's all about money. Be the voice of the children because those in charge do not care if they cannot get anything out of it.
Pros
Schedule flexibility

Dear Current Employee,
Thank you for reviewing your current role as a Child Care Worker in Jamaica. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our management team. If you have any further comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact us at HR@sco.org

SCO enables employees to advance within its ranks
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJanuary 10, 2017
SCO does not provide sufficient training to employees in new positions. The hardest part of the job is that you are to expected to know what to do without proper supervision.

Dear Former Employee,
Thank you for taking the time to review your previous employment with SCO Family of Services on Indeed.com.
Your feedback regarding training is much appreciated. It is the policy of SCO Family of Services to complete the required training's in the early months of your employment. Your feedback will help us continue to make SCO Family of Services a great place to work.

No equal opportunity for a non profit organization
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 9, 2017
Overworked and underpaid. No salary increase in years. Love working with my individuals and the department I'm in but the overall agency lacks in compensation and really don't take into account cost of living,
Pros
Cons
Salary employees treated as hourly employees

Dear Former Employee,
SCO Family of Services would like to thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Indeed.com. SCO values our staff and strives to offer them a generous overall compensation package (salary, time off, and benefits). Your comments will be shared with our management team and will be utilized in the future to keep SCO Family of Services a great place for our employees and clients alike.

Get Your Feet Wet and Get Out
Therapeutic Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 9, 2017
I fell into the profession of human services by means of a personal experience. I decided to revamp my formal education and earn a Master's. If you are a new graduate (MSW) and you do not have any field experience, then join SCO, stay for one year, possibly two, then get the "Heck out of Dodge".

SCO does not support their case workers. The turnover in Regular Foster Care is high; however, the turn over in Therapeutic Foster Care is even higher. Management does not support or advocate for their CWs.

The average CW stays for 1-year. They are either overworked with seeing the families, making referrals, court, supervised visits, entering notes into CONNX and the most painful part of the job...completing a FASP. CWs have an average of 10 - 12 cases Regular Foster Care has to see the 'child' once a month, whereas, Therapeutic Foster Care has to see the 'child' twice a month. To be a CW in Regular Foster Care, the highest level of education is a BSW. To be a CW in Therapeutic Foster Care, the highest level of education is MSW. Regular Foster Care requires a lesser degree, less child visits; whereas, Therapeutic Foster Care requires more.

A traditional work week at SCO is an average of 50 hrs due to the fact that most of a CWs time is spent traveling to see families in other boroughs. CWs additional hours earned was put aside as Compensation Time. As of 1/1/2017, nationwide, ALL CWs are no longer salary, yet, hourly. The CWs at SCO were told that if a CW works more than 40 hrs (e.g. overtime), the CW will be written up as "unapproved" overtime. Again, I cannot
  more... stress that a traditional CW's work week is 50 hrs.The starting salary for a CW w/BSW is $38K. The starting salary for a CW w/MSW is $40K  less
Good place to work but poor management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Stayed there for over a year. There was no room for promotion., poor management, and unstable work environment. Co-workers are friendly but the Executive staff were not
benefits
Cons
management
the job is what you make it to be
Youth Specialist/School supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 1, 2017
A typical day as a school supervisor is making sure all residents are getting the help that they need in the class room. Residents have very low iq's an needs lots of help some of need even need one on one. it can be hard working with this population but it feels good when you can change a life or lend a helping it makes great deal to some people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SCO Family of Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9