SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews in United States

documentation , appointments, counseling adolescents and parents
Group Leader / Case Planner (Former Employee) –  NewYork City, BrooklynOctober 19, 2015
Consant awareness of all children and there where abouts in the community. Providing different resources that help develop children milestones
Pros
Communication and other company resources
Cons
no medical benefits or death
Very Stressful because of management.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
SCO is in need of leadership that is people oriented, although it is a community based organization the upper management isn't line staff friendly.
Do NOT WORK HERE(Devil School)
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2015
If I could rate this job a zero I would the management are young minded irresponsible favoritism losers the staff are grown children who talk about each other more then they work the kids are barley token care of BECAUSE the staff is worried more about who's sleeping with who and what each other is wearing I pitty the individuals stuck here and I pitty the new comers this bronx building should be shut DOWN!
Pros
none shameful place
Cons
low pay bad staff worse management administration see and fix nothing
It can be fun if they work together
Dsp (Current Employee) –  Jamaica nySeptember 15, 2015
This company has a lot of issues with the employees and management. Management clearly are not connected, everyone thinks they own the company and they them self's don't have a clue. I am a employees and I don't feel welcome by both staff and management, dose the term through you under the bus ring a bell... I feel just like that. They are under staffed not enough people to cover the shift 24 consumers and 2 DSP on each floor in the nights,everyone that comes in new leaves.
My experience of the work environment
Education/Vocational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day at work includes researching services to better serve a client. It's also great having a team who you can learn from and support you when situations are difficult. It makes a difficult day run smoothly.
Pros
New Experiences, helping serve the general public and those in need, networking with professionals to better the lives of people
Cons
long days, challenging periods
It was a Job
Admin (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodSeptember 2, 2015
SCO pays very low and you are basiclly working for free with the amount of work you get and your pay. It is a great place to gain experience, but after that get out ASAP. They will never vaule you, your time or your work. AED, CPO, ED, and Directors are the only ones who get money and they constantly pass the buck to those below and always play the blame game. Supervisors and staff at the brentwood office are rascits and do not like black/hispanc staff or foster children/parents. People who quit or get fired do not get replaced they just add more work to other people.

My overall exp at SCO has been in the middle. I am grateful because I was able to gain the exp I need to find a new and better position and I was able to transfer to a new position during my time at SCO so that was good.
Pros
Benefits, flexible
Cons
pay, managment
challenging but interesting
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Glen Clove, NYAugust 24, 2015
it provides the basic knowledge needed if you were to pursue a career working with certain populations. it broadens your horizon.
Can be the best or worst job experience
Treatment Family Foster Care Homefinder (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 21, 2015
Depending on the Department you are in, it can be a rewarding fullfilling expereience - or can't wait for the day to be over because you don't think you can take one more minute expereince.
Good company
Independent Living Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2015
This organization allowed me to grow and learn within the field of social services. Luckily, I was under the management of a knowledgeable person. Management's focus was not about just numbers, but rather making sure that employees strive within; and focused on how employees treated clients.
Pros
Growth and Development
Cons
Compensation
At the beganning a great placed to work than it change to aplaced of not to trust.
Court Liaison (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYAugust 4, 2015
AS a worker I would try to engaged families to enter into services as order by the courts. I believe that if families want their children home they will make it a standard to get them home. Co worker were together at the beginning than changing with supervisor and turnover I personnel . The hard part of the job is engaging families in services. The most enjoyable is to reunite families.
Pros
three breaks
Cons
pensions
great place to work- no job security
finance (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 31, 2015
great people great environment, benefit package is good. Very diversified. Pay structure is fair if not better.
Always be prepared to lose your job. They consistently "restructure" departments regardless of how good of an employee you have proven to be. I left on my own, but because living on the edge of my seat was getting to be too much.
Disorganized agency
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 29, 2015
Managed staff of 7, billed & collected over 13 million dollars a month for various programs & funders
Learned many aspects of the non for profit world
My co-workers were very hard working & under appreciated
Hardest part was little to no support from upper management
antiquated ways
Most enjoyable was what the company did for our consumers
Pros
Great benefits, vacation time, plenty of holidays off
Cons
Poor upper management
Asssiting
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 23, 2015
The job was on the go not a typical sit at your desk type of job. You had to asssit families that was displaced from the Sandy storm to help find them permanent housing and/or ensure the repairs were done to their previous home.
flexible
Supervisor, (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 22, 2015
Very demanding job. mastering the skill of multitasking.I conduct supervision with my team individually and in a group. I learned how to brainstorm and assist my workers with problem solving.
Pros
trainings are always available
Cons
deficit
Transporting special needs indivinduals to and from home and volunteer jobs. I work well with my co-workers, management is concerned with issues.
Senior Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYJuly 20, 2015
A typical day at my current job is picking up special needs individuals and bringing them to the day program at AHRC. I then, along with my co-workers plan out the day. After assigning each staff with the individuals and their jobs, I transport them to pick up donations and drop them off at other sites. I get along with my co-workers very well. We all work as a team. I guess the hardest part of the job would be making sure that the individuals are kept safe while out in the community.
The waiver services (educational advocacy) were carried out by paying visits to schools to evaluate educational services and proffer suggestins
Waiver Service Provider-Advocacy (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2015
A typical day was visits to client's home to assess the learning situation and the overall care. Clients are also visited in their respective schools to assess the Individual Educational Progress (IEP) is being accomplished. One can advocate for a child to move be moved to a normal school program if the child has shown proficiency in learning. This would be discussed with the SCO Supervisor at a meeting with guardians or parents.
What I learned is that some children because of isolated incidence reports of misdemeanor may be placed in the wrong grouping of very badly behaved students and start acting to type. Without the right intervention, the child is doomed and learning is limited.
Management coordinates workers properly and co-workers remain helpful to colleagues.
The hardest part of the job is that one is never in a fixed working place. One is assigned to cases which can be anywhere and the pay is per diem and the cases can be far in between.
The most enjoyable part is that the client trusts you can solve their problems by suggesting to management the solutions to their predicament.
Pros
Free lunches are served during training seesions
Cons
The remunerations are not fixed.
Inconvenient Sporadic Employment
Support and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 26, 2015
The paperwork is really what you get paid for, but for a job that required you to be incredibly flexible, would not let you come into the office at an early hour to submit your report at the beginning of the day. I had a tight schedule as I was in school, and I thought the flexibility of the Job would be ideal, but instead it was non-existent.

In addition, Waiver Service Providers get reimbursed for a VERY small amount of money to take children out to respite; there's no stipend.

Lastly, this is not a solid Job; you have to work up to cases for a few months. Starting out you're lucky if you're working at most 16 hours per week, so getting paid 17-30 per hour really doesn't put much food on your table.
Ok place to work for new ppl in that field
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2015
Its a place you could work to gain your experience and move on to a other company for growth and move advancement. Once the Director don't like you it will be very hard to work for the company
Brief
Quality Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJune 16, 2015
Great place to start career. Not a good place to stay.
Relaxed organizational culture; however, overworked and underpaid.
Program Development and Implementation
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2015
Coordinate program daily Excellence Monday through Friday.
Supervise and support on-site staff with trainings, observations, and evaluations.
Coordinate special events in collaboration with Educational Specialist and home-site school
Develop and execute recruitment and retention strategies in coordination with stakeholders and other programs to ensure maximum number of youth are being served.
Provide crisis intervention with on-site youth and made referrals.
Maintain collected, reported and analyzed data as required by the agency and DOE, DOH, DYCD.

2.9