SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Not for the faint of heart
DIRECT CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Queens Village, NYDecember 9, 2014
a typical day started with reading the communication and the nurse log book along with the house log. The day continued with assisting the residents in daily activities and helping them accomplish their individual goals. The residents day ends at 9pm during the week and 9:30pm on the weekend. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the residents' behavioral issues without guidance from the supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the residents accomplish their goals and get discharged.
Cons
no breaks, no job security, no money for recreational trips
Disorganized agency
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 29, 2015
Managed staff of 7, billed & collected over 13 million dollars a month for various programs & funders
Learned many aspects of the non for profit world
My co-workers were very hard working & under appreciated
Hardest part was little to no support from upper management
antiquated ways
Most enjoyable was what the company did for our consumers
Pros
Great benefits, vacation time, plenty of holidays off
Cons
Poor upper management
Program Development and Implementation
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2015
Coordinate program daily Excellence Monday through Friday.
Supervise and support on-site staff with trainings, observations, and evaluations.
Coordinate special events in collaboration with Educational Specialist and home-site school
Develop and execute recruitment and retention strategies in coordination with stakeholders and other programs to ensure maximum number of youth are being served.
Provide crisis intervention with on-site youth and made referrals.
Maintain collected, reported and analyzed data as required by the agency and DOE, DOH, DYCD.
It was a job.
Direct Care Counselor, Day Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheatley Heights, NYAugust 6, 2013
The position was great for helping to provide for my family. My co-workers were easy enough to get along with and sometimes we had a lot of fun with the individuals we helped. The management was hard to get along with and was, in most situations, ineffective. The part of the position I most enjoyed was being able to help people learn things that they hadn't before.
Pros
paid lunch breaks, good healthcare package
Cons
advancement was not available
SCO Family of Services
Senior Childcare Staff (Current Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day: Lots of activities, goals with the young people we service.
Don't take family for granted, deeper compassion
Management is as good as the people they have to answer too treats them.
Co-workers some perhaps needs to choose a different line of work but overall team players/family
Staff
A young person learning/ reaching/ completing a set goal, Activities.
Pros
being involved with the young people reaching there set goals
Cons
short breaks, salary, at times staff
Not a good Company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx NYSeptember 7, 2013
Compensation is very low, even for social services standards. Yet, they expect the highest caliber talent and work. Expect long hours. No overtime pay.

No support from the top. CYA (cover your a---) culture. Blame game constantly. Very stressful, little support from superiors. There isnt opportunity for advancement and the lack of people wanting to work for this company that has a horrible reputation only makes it more difficult
Cons
uncomfortable environment
It was a privilege to be able to be involved in NY'S first Residential School for bright yet fragile adolescents with high functioning autism.
Office Manager/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 27, 2013
I really learned so much about young adults on the autism spectrum. All of the students are so special in their own ways. The management could have been better, there was absolutely no communication between any of the directors.
Pros
healthcare, meeting great people
Cons
major lack of communication
Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 28, 2013

No support from the top. CYA (cover your a---) culture. Blame game constantly. Very stressful, little support from superiors. There is opportunity for advancement but only due to convenience and lack of people wanting to work for this company that has a horrible reputation.

AVOID
Cons
pay, stress, management
Productive workplace with valued missions
Program Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2013
A typical day at work consists of generating and maintaining several reports, managing agency budget, general administrative tasks, office management and interaction with clientele. In my short tenure at SCO I have learned about case management and sharpened my knowledge of the social services realm. Along with these things I have been able to utilize my practices taught to run a successful office in the best way possible.
My first Experience in the Social Work Field
Parent Aide/Social Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 27, 2013
A typical day at work involved a high amount of interactions with consumers. I learned a lot about linking consumers with things that they needed. My coworkers were very sweet and compassionate people The hardest part of the job was having to manage a high caseload with limited resources. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a difference in the lives of families.
Pros
stablility
Cons
management was unprofessional
My experience of the work environment
Education/Vocational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day at work includes researching services to better serve a client. It's also great having a team who you can learn from and support you when situations are difficult. It makes a difficult day run smoothly.
Pros
New Experiences, helping serve the general public and those in need, networking with professionals to better the lives of people
Cons
long days, challenging periods
Great environment, supportive and motivating!
Lead Advocate Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkDecember 11, 2011
I have been working with SCO since graduating from my undergraduate in 2008. SCO has supported me throughout my career and really helped me understand the value of social service. However, I believe it is now time to expand my career. I would like to work in different settings with different populations of people.
Pros
lunches, time off, support systems, location to home
Cons
salary and hours
"Horrible place to work "(Shelter Services)
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelter ServicesMarch 15, 2014
Don't leave your day job ! Horrible place to work, unethical practices and poor management. My experience working their was the worst; I would not recommend this agency to no one. I received no support the entire time of my employment with this agency. Management don't know what they are doing and staff don't know what they are doing; it's a failing and no win situation in all their shelters !
Pros
none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cons
none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great place to work- no job security
finance (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 31, 2015
great people great environment, benefit package is good. Very diversified. Pay structure is fair if not better.
Always be prepared to lose your job. They consistently "restructure" departments regardless of how good of an employee you have proven to be. I left on my own, but because living on the edge of my seat was getting to be too much.
Depends on why you are here
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 9, 2014
If you are looking for experience then it's great. The benefits package is not that great and there is a disconnect from the administration and the people who actually do the job. Co-workers make it worth going to work if you have the right team but you will get burned out very quickly if you are not careful
Good company
Independent Living Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2015
This organization allowed me to grow and learn within the field of social services. Luckily, I was under the management of a knowledgeable person. Management's focus was not about just numbers, but rather making sure that employees strive within; and focused on how employees treated clients.
Pros
Growth and Development
Cons
Compensation
Fun place to work, enjoyed building relationships with the staff and residents.
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 18, 2015
Fun place to work, enjoyed building relationships with the staff and residents. Not knowing how your day would play out could be nerve racking, considering the population that I was in charge of, but at the end of it all it is rewarding knowing that I made a difference in a young person's life.
its okay
socila work intern (Current Employee) –  brooklynFebruary 26, 2015
i work under the family support.. on a typical day you walk around and see how needs helps in the classrooms to help the teachers. you try to get parents to do he family strength assessment. i learn about the families and what they seem to straggle with. everyone is chill and lay back
Hardworking with young single mothers in a shelter
Relief Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2013
Working with young single mothers (age range 17-21) is hard and very challaging. Trying to prepare them for the futrue is hard when some of them are so set in their own ways. Try to assist them with their child and assist them or help them to learn how to cook. and with any other prepartion for the future.
Supervised staff to take consumers out into the community.
Day Habilitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJanuary 14, 2013
I provided supervision to over 30 employees. I matched consumers with staff to provide community integration and work on individualized goals. I worked with families and individuals with intellectual disabilities. I enjoyed the team environment and management was always willing to help.
Pros
team environment
Cons
there was no raise in 2 years.