SCO Family of Services

SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Fulfilling and compassionate work.
Office Coordinator - Secretary (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYDecember 15, 2015
*heavy client interaction, telephone, payroll and filing
*attended various training
*professional/efficient/compassionate
*Accessible management
*Frustrated clients
*Positive Client transformation
Pros
close to home
Cons
health insurance co-pays were very expensive
stressful
DCP (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 4, 2015
overworked and underpaid. Hardest part of the job is the long hours and no lunch breaks. I learned patience. enjoyed the children. management belittle staff.
Pros
Cons
no union, low pay rate, no raise
Rewarding Position
Day Hab (Former Employee) –  NYNovember 22, 2015
This job helps put your life in perspective and the things that are taken for granted on a day to day basis. Very rewarding position.
Focus on clients
Child Care Worker/ Senior Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 18, 2015
This is not an easy field. It is about building relationships, communication and team work. If you are able to conjure up these skills, then it becomes something you love as opposed to something you do.
Amazing First "real" job
Family Childcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 16, 2015
The above position taught me tons of responsibility and how to work hand in hand with others. The most enjoyable part of my jobs was assisting parents in obtaining childcare and seeing how grateful they were. My co workers were awesome and my supervisors were so patient with breaking everything down.
Co- workers
Administrative assistant of Res-Hab Program (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 10, 2015
No place to advance for minorities / Bad salary, Poor MANAGEMENT based on gossip and lies, Its a very toxic place to work depends on your ability to please management or coworkers. .
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Pay/Not good treatment for minorities.
Not a place for a career
Quality Improvement Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2015
If your dream is to be a social worker and obtain your MSW/LMSW and make an impact while simultaneously being able to take care of yourself, look else where. Though I can attest that I have grown as an individual here, I am a single father with two kids. Thus, above all else, I need to provide for them and this place simply does not provide the adequate means to do so.

If it weren't for an excellent supervisor and director, I would have flew the coop ages ago. The agency has a "pass the buck" mentality that I do not appreciate and, even amongst some, the concept of going above and beyond for our clients is not shared. The fault for this thinking falls squarely on an agency that for many years has attempted to grow horizontally, yet fails to make the strides necessary to grow from within and build a strong foundation that will begin to transform the very nature of the company.

How are workers suppose to service at-risk families, youths, and other similar clientele when a worker in question is worried about how they are going to pay for their light bill? Majority of the agency makes enough to NOT qualify for Food Stamps and Subsidized Childcare, but makes no where near enough to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment and all the other miscellaneous expenses that come with travel, kids and the like. Yet the agency has the notion that you should be going above and beyond for our clients.

Here's an idea SCO. How about you treat your employees the way you expect your employees to treat their clients. Then you won't have things like a high job turnover rate and a general
  more... "blah" mentality towards the work that is suppose to be making an impact on the lives of those less fortunate. When a worker can look across the table, and come to the realization that, one missed check, getting gravely sick or any number of other missteps that occur in one's life can lead them to be sitting on the very chair of the person that we are supposed to be servicing to the best of our capabilities.

Think about that for a moment the next time you send me an annual memo stating that their won't be yet another salary increase but continue to fight for us in other ways that, in the grand scheme of things, don't add up fast enough to make a difference. Now excuse me, I will be servicing a client right now.

May anyone who reads this have a Wonderful Day.
Pros
Great Supervisor and Director
Cons
Lousy Pay, very little benefits
The pay is $11.41
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2015
This place is the worse they don't not care about they worker or clients. They low ball you with the pay the program director don't know what they are doing. This shelter need to be Close down
documentation , appointments, counseling adolescents and parents
Group Leader / Case Planner (Former Employee) –  NewYork City, BrooklynOctober 19, 2015
Consant awareness of all children and there where abouts in the community. Providing different resources that help develop children milestones
Pros
Communication and other company resources
Cons
no medical benefits or death
Very Stressful because of management.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
SCO is in need of leadership that is people oriented, although it is a community based organization the upper management isn't line staff friendly.
Do NOT WORK HERE(Devil School)
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2015
If I could rate this job a zero I would the management are young minded irresponsible favoritism losers the staff are grown children who talk about each other more then they work the kids are barley token care of BECAUSE the staff is worried more about who's sleeping with who and what each other is wearing I pitty the individuals stuck here and I pitty the new comers this bronx building should be shut DOWN!
Pros
none shameful place
Cons
low pay bad staff worse management administration see and fix nothing
It can be fun if they work together
Dsp (Current Employee) –  Jamaica nySeptember 15, 2015
This company has a lot of issues with the employees and management. Management clearly are not connected, everyone thinks they own the company and they them self's don't have a clue. I am a employees and I don't feel welcome by both staff and management, dose the term through you under the bus ring a bell... I feel just like that. They are under staffed not enough people to cover the shift 24 consumers and 2 DSP on each floor in the nights,everyone that comes in new leaves.
My experience of the work environment
Education/Vocational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day at work includes researching services to better serve a client. It's also great having a team who you can learn from and support you when situations are difficult. It makes a difficult day run smoothly.
Pros
New Experiences, helping serve the general public and those in need, networking with professionals to better the lives of people
Cons
long days, challenging periods
It was a Job
Admin (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodSeptember 2, 2015
SCO pays very low and you are basiclly working for free with the amount of work you get and your pay. It is a great place to gain experience, but after that get out ASAP. They will never vaule you, your time or your work. AED, CPO, ED, and Directors are the only ones who get money and they constantly pass the buck to those below and always play the blame game. Supervisors and staff at the brentwood office are rascits and do not like black/hispanc staff or foster children/parents. People who quit or get fired do not get replaced they just add more work to other people.

My overall exp at SCO has been in the middle. I am grateful because I was able to gain the exp I need to find a new and better position and I was able to transfer to a new position during my time at SCO so that was good.
Pros
Benefits, flexible
Cons
pay, managment
challenging but interesting
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Glen Clove, NYAugust 24, 2015
it provides the basic knowledge needed if you were to pursue a career working with certain populations. it broadens your horizon.
Can be the best or worst job experience
Treatment Family Foster Care Homefinder (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 21, 2015
Depending on the Department you are in, it can be a rewarding fullfilling expereience - or can't wait for the day to be over because you don't think you can take one more minute expereince.
Good company
Independent Living Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2015
This organization allowed me to grow and learn within the field of social services. Luckily, I was under the management of a knowledgeable person. Management's focus was not about just numbers, but rather making sure that employees strive within; and focused on how employees treated clients.
Pros
Growth and Development
Cons
Compensation
At the beganning a great placed to work than it change to aplaced of not to trust.
Court Liaison (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYAugust 4, 2015
AS a worker I would try to engaged families to enter into services as order by the courts. I believe that if families want their children home they will make it a standard to get them home. Co worker were together at the beginning than changing with supervisor and turnover I personnel . The hard part of the job is engaging families in services. The most enjoyable is to reunite families.
Pros
three breaks
Cons
pensions
great place to work- no job security
finance (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 31, 2015
great people great environment, benefit package is good. Very diversified. Pay structure is fair if not better.
Always be prepared to lose your job. They consistently "restructure" departments regardless of how good of an employee you have proven to be. I left on my own, but because living on the edge of my seat was getting to be too much.
Disorganized agency
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJuly 29, 2015
Managed staff of 7, billed & collected over 13 million dollars a month for various programs & funders
Learned many aspects of the non for profit world
My co-workers were very hard working & under appreciated
Hardest part was little to no support from upper management
antiquated ways
Most enjoyable was what the company did for our consumers
Pros
Great benefits, vacation time, plenty of holidays off
Cons
Poor upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SCO Family of Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9