SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Fun learning environment
Teacher Aide (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 2, 2014
This place as been a good learning experience, I love kids and working with them i had a wonderful day every time i attended work. The staff was very welcoming and helped you with anything that was needed.
Strenous, main concern their buisness
YOUTH SPECIALIST (Current Employee), 339 49th St, Bklyn NYFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: learning
Cons: look out for their own protection
Learned alot, patience, client techniques, enjoyed working with youth. Majority co-workers workable
Work place is very busy yet flexible.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: good medical benefits, paid holidays and committed staff members
Cons: dental benefits are not good and no over time pay
In a position that is highly Multitask such as typing Psychiatrist/Psychologist reports, answering phones, scheduling clients, assisting Caseworkers. Enjoy assisting as a team player with co workers and the flexibilty of hours. The rewarding part of this position in getting the appropriate information needed and overcoming challenging situations. I enjoy working in a busy yet friendly staff environment.
Shelter program is the worst!
Social Service Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: do as you please. ...there's no structure!
Cons: unpaid & overworked
The entire staff needs to be remove! There's no compassion for the clients. Cliens are viewed as a burden and do not receive the services paid for by the City of NY. Major unethical acts occur on a daily basis. The program manager is involve in fraud and there's no professional boundaries between security and the clients. Security is too involved in the clients personal affairs! The program manager falsified documents to show that she is making her mandated move out targets. Clients are illegally locked out of the shelter if they disagree with staff, especially security and the program manager. The program manager is uneducated and usually uses other staff to do her paperwork!
I Like the indviduals
Day Habilitation Specialist/ dsp (Current Employee), Glen Cove, NYJanuary 31, 2014
sco was not to organized but working with the challenging individuals was well worth the the disorganazation
productive
LPN (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: flexible
productive and challenging great place to work good benifits alot of holidays
Casework overload
Bilingual Foster Care Case Worker (Former Employee), Queens, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Working at SCO was a great learning experience. However, the case load was a bit much. Caseworkers are assigned from 20-26 active/inactive cases. Cases are very variable which allow you to work with all types of clients and each family have different needs. The agency requires caseworkers to perform the same level of management with all cases including, but not limited to supervising agency family visits, complete and submit mandated paper work and progress notes within a short deadline. In addition to all the responsibilities of a Foster Care Caseworker.
Waiver Service Provider
Waiver Service Provider (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 31, 2013
A great position and start for anyone that would like to work with youth and get social work experience at the same time.
This company has an excellent team work atmosphere and great benefits
TFFC Caseworker (Current Employee), Brentwood, NYNovember 26, 2013
There are many opportunites for professional development and career advancement.
Productive workplace
Medical Secretary (Current Employee), Longisland NYNovember 12, 2013
Answer phones, distribute mail, generate letters for family care providers, organize and update consumers files.
I have no review at this time.
Helper for Human Resources (Former Employee), Glen Cove New YorkNovember 7, 2013
I worked on the computer, answered the phone and made a open job list for the company.
Caring management and staff
Project Director- Hurricane Sandy Temp (Current Employee), Queens, NYNovember 5, 2013
The work environment was great, especially because all levels of staff are committed to helping others. Staff will work endless hours to make sure their clients are services.
enjoyable place to work
Social Service Manager (Current Employee), Bronx New YorkOctober 31, 2013
high paced results drive work environment, needs more professional level employees to get the job done. Salaries are not competitive which is reflective in the level of staff commitment.
Productive workplace with valued missions
Program Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2013
A typical day at work consists of generating and maintaining several reports, managing agency budget, general administrative tasks, office management and interaction with clientele. In my short tenure at SCO I have learned about case management and sharpened my knowledge of the social services realm. Along with these things I have been able to utilize my practices taught to run a successful office in the best way possible.
Flexible but challenging place to work at.
Caseworker / Case Planner (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2013
A typical day at work consists of responding to phone calls, responding to emails, writing and typing notes, preparing reports, and supervising visits. I have gained a lot of knowledge in regards to the social services field and how to work closely with medical as well as legal professionals. The hardest part of the job is deciding what is a priority and what is not. This is because to me all of the work is a priority. It gets difficult at times to concentrate on one thing because in turn there are multiple things that come out that requires immediate attention. I enjoy helping others; therefore working with my clients/families is my most enjoyable part. I appreciate the op[opportunity to make a change in their lives.
It was a privilege to be able to be involved in NY'S first Residential School for bright yet fragile adolescents with high functioning autism.
Office Manager/Receptionist (Current Employee), Westbury, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: healthcare, meeting great people
Cons: major lack of communication
I really learned so much about young adults on the autism spectrum. All of the students are so special in their own ways. The management could have been better, there was absolutely no communication between any of the directors.
A place to start
Entitlement Specialist (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 24, 2013
The NYC DHSS was nothing more than some place to get your feet wet in the social services world.
Interesting place to work
Head Cook (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not enough staff
I am the only cook for now, so most days are challenging. I prepare all three meals for 24 residents and attending staff. My co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part is having to deal with random behavioral issues. But it is rewarding to see the smile on the kids faces when they achieve something or their just having fun being kids.
Hard working experience giving job
Daytime Super/ Handyman (Former Employee), jamaica nySeptember 19, 2013
Pros: own management
Cons: pay is short because you get to live for free
Great Job for experience. Coworkers are very friendly but can a little lazy
Not a good Company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Bronx NYSeptember 7, 2013
Cons: uncomfortable environment
Compensation is very low, even for social services standards. Yet, they expect the highest caliber talent and work. Expect long hours. No overtime pay.

No support from the top. CYA (cover your a---) culture. Blame game constantly. Very stressful, little support from superiors. There isnt opportunity for advancement and the lack of people wanting to work for this company that has a horrible reputation only makes it more difficult