SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Do not work here if you want to remain happy, healthy and have a sense of integrity
Family Support (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 12, 2014
My experience with this organization has been awful. Lack of training, low salary and proper supervision. Management does not care about it's employees unless you are in their clique. What a toxic, non supportive and "every man for themselves" kind of environment. Extreme lack of communication, having to deal with bad attitudes, having to deal with people yelling, having no formal training,working without a job description, having a director with lack of empathy.
I would like to note some of SCO Family Services values which include Excellence, – “we dedicate ourselves to the highest standards of practice and performance and strive to achieve excellence and professionalism in all we do”, Effective – “we produce results by motivating and supporting each person and family we serve so they can meet and exceed their personal goals” Compassion – “we provide deep empathy and a safe, caring environment that enriches each life we touch”.
I know this applies to the families and individuals that they serve but why not their workers? Doesn’t it start with the family, the family being SCO or lead by example. A director lacking empathy and just pure disdain for the profession and subordinators cannot be a great leader.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Too Many
Not for the faint of heart
DIRECT CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Queens Village, NYDecember 9, 2014
a typical day started with reading the communication and the nurse log book along with the house log. The day continued with assisting the residents in daily activities and helping them accomplish their individual goals. The residents day ends at 9pm during the week and 9:30pm on the weekend. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the residents' behavioral issues without guidance from the supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the residents accomplish their goals and get discharged.
Cons
no breaks, no job security, no money for recreational trips
great place to grow
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 25, 2014
the hardest part of the day is not being able to leave on time due to waiting on relief/staff. every manager is different, but most managers are flexible.
Pros
flexible, alot of hours can be made
Cons
mandated overtime
Bridges 2 Health
Wavier Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2014
Provide Foster Care families with volunteer services like, skill building, crisis avoidance and management, and respite. Assist Foster parents with services.
Case worker/social worker
Therapeutic Case Worker/Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 10, 2014
I have been a case woker/social worker within SCO Family of Services for over 2 years now and everyday is different! Whether I am dealing with emergencies with different clients or spending most of my morning or afternoon documenting all of my monthly contacts, you never know what to expect on a day to day basis while working as a case worker in therapeutic foster care. I have learned to manage my time and prioritize my work as well as learning about different cultural backgrounds of clients and ethnicities. I have been given the opportunity to work with a very special population of children that need specific mental health needs/services and I do my absolute best to make sure that they are receiving the services they need to continue to live a healthy life in a safe environment. I enjoy making a difference in the lives of these children in foster care, however the hardest part of my job is spending the time making the connection with clients who eventually in the end, move on to live with their parents or become adopted into loving families.
Pros
health care benefits, reimbursement for traveling
Cons
traveling over 50% of the time
Adminisrtation lets good people go to cover there own backs
Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYNovember 9, 2014
Very hypocritical administrators. People in authority should not hold these positions they are not qualified. They break company policy and lie to protect themselves.
Pros
working with the kids
Cons
administration
I'm interested in a Sales Position
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYNovember 5, 2014
I assist mentally challenge and disable children during the overnight shift from 11pm - 9am.When I arrive to work at 11pm I am usually assigned to a group of 2 boys who are usually sleeping in their bedroom around that time.During the hours the children are sleeping I make sure that they are secure and while they're are awake I assist them with taking a shower,being fed and putting on their clothes.The hardest part of the job is when the children are misbehaving .The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching the children on how to become more independent then seeing them learning from what you taught them.
Great productive job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 30, 2014
Learned administrative work, how to be more organized, an focused. Management was very family oriented. Great group of staff.
Pros
Work experience, giving me a chance when I really did not have experience.
Cons
salary
team work
CASE AIDE/ ESCORT (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 23, 2014
team work and reliable always help others in any situation,
Pros
helping
Cons
short breaks
Fun productive workplace
Paid intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx new yorkOctober 16, 2014
It was a family oriented workplace. I interacted with children helping them with homework and helped prepare healthy nutritious snacks.
Learning tool
Social Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 15, 2014
unorganized management, no compensations, poor leadership. good team members and residents
benefits
Cons
llimited growth
Overworked, overlooked, overloaded
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2014
SCO has no regard for staff on any level- they do not practice what they preach- extraordinary reach is what is expected of staff- no training or supervision provided- they combine multiple jobs to cut their overhead costs and blame the staff when last minute deadlines and demands aren't met- unconditional care is just a cover- upper management couldn't care less about your needs- and staff is constantly expected to sacrifice their own families to meet the unreasonable demands being made- life changing results? Well the major life change you can expect from SCO is stress and the health issues that follow- vacation is usually denied if you ask for time especially if you dare say no to unfairly added responsibilities that are in no way part of your job description- if you are looking for a job just to get your feet wet in the workforce- the the abuse of SCO will prepare you for anything
Pros
They will use you and get all they can out of you
Cons
They will toss you like last weeks left overs
Friendly
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
A day of work at SCO varies some days are good and others are are not. I always ensure that the kids i'm responsible for are doing there homework and understanding what they are doing. I've learned to have patients because all these kids want is to be heard and understood. So with that come an open ear at all times. My co workers are supportive and they help out a lot in difficult situations. We get along very well with just keeping it professional at all times. The hardest part of the job has to be keeping it clean during lunch time. The younger kids tend to drop food on the floor no matter what. I say that because they eat 3 times a day. The most enjoyable part has to be seeing the kids play, laugh, and smile. It brightens up my day with just that. making sure that they are having fun and enjoying themselves.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 5, 2014
Fast paced and very interactive with youth.
Monthly trainings and weekly meetings.
Constant follow ups on youths progression and goals
Seeing the children smile... makes this job such a reward
Health Care Integrator (Former Employee) –  BrooklynSeptember 25, 2014
Awesome experience, rewarding. Protecting the children was the most important part of the job
Good to work
workers (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 24, 2014
A day in this company is totally, People are kindly, every body is soft
Pros
pool
Cons
food
not the best experience.
Foster Care Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 16, 2014
I felt that the work was challenging. I enjoyed working with the foster care population. However, my supervisor was unreasonable and there was little support from management. Not enough training.
Pros
comfortable work enviorment. decent compensation for entry level
Cons
lack of support.
OK Place to work.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 6, 2014
Great co-workers, no support from management when sought.
great co workers. horribly managed
residential supervisor (Current Employee) –  WestburyAugust 31, 2014
Benefits and salary okay....co workers great. Inexperienced clinical staff and administration with egos make for a drama filled and tense work environment that trickles to the kids. The place is falling apart.
Pros
good residential staff
Cons
terrible administration. Lots of infighting.
In It For the Children
Visual Arts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2014
The most enjoyable and rewarding part of this job was the children. Sowing positive elements into their lives was very worthwhile, even though the overall experience wasn't the most ideal.

2.9