SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Intimate environment
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 12, 2017
If you're not there for the children don't apply. It's rarely about the children. It's all about money. Be the voice of the children because those in charge do not care if they cannot get anything out of it.
Pros
Schedule flexibility

Dear Current Employee,
Thank you for reviewing your current role as a Child Care Worker in Jamaica. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our management team. If you have any further comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact us at HR@sco.org

SCO enables employees to advance within its ranks
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJanuary 10, 2017
SCO does not provide sufficient training to employees in new positions. The hardest part of the job is that you are to expected to know what to do without proper supervision.

Dear Former Employee,
Thank you for taking the time to review your previous employment with SCO Family of Services on Indeed.com.
Your feedback regarding training is much appreciated. It is the policy of SCO Family of Services to complete the required training's in the early months of your employment. Your feedback will help us continue to make SCO Family of Services a great place to work.

No equal opportunity for a non profit organization
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 9, 2017
Overworked and underpaid. No salary increase in years. Love working with my individuals and the department I'm in but the overall agency lacks in compensation and really don't take into account cost of living,
Pros
Cons
Salary employees treated as hourly employees

Dear Former Employee,
SCO Family of Services would like to thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Indeed.com. SCO values our staff and strives to offer them a generous overall compensation package (salary, time off, and benefits). Your comments will be shared with our management team and will be utilized in the future to keep SCO Family of Services a great place for our employees and clients alike.

Get Your Feet Wet and Get Out
Therapeutic Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 9, 2017
I fell into the profession of human services by means of a personal experience. I decided to revamp my formal education and earn a Master's. If you are a new graduate (MSW) and you do not have any field experience, then join SCO, stay for one year, possibly two, then get the "Heck out of Dodge".

SCO does not support their case workers. The turnover in Regular Foster Care is high; however, the turn over in Therapeutic Foster Care is even higher. Management does not support or advocate for their CWs.

The average CW stays for 1-year. They are either overworked with seeing the families, making referrals, court, supervised visits, entering notes into CONNX and the most painful part of the job...completing a FASP. CWs have an average of 10 - 12 cases Regular Foster Care has to see the 'child' once a month, whereas, Therapeutic Foster Care has to see the 'child' twice a month. To be a CW in Regular Foster Care, the highest level of education is a BSW. To be a CW in Therapeutic Foster Care, the highest level of education is MSW. Regular Foster Care requires a lesser degree, less child visits; whereas, Therapeutic Foster Care requires more.

A traditional work week at SCO is an average of 50 hrs due to the fact that most of a CWs time is spent traveling to see families in other boroughs. CWs additional hours earned was put aside as Compensation Time. As of 1/1/2017, nationwide, ALL CWs are no longer salary, yet, hourly. The CWs at SCO were told that if a CW works more than 40 hrs (e.g. overtime), the CW will be written up as "unapproved" overtime. Again, I cannot
  more... stress that a traditional CW's work week is 50 hrs.The starting salary for a CW w/BSW is $38K. The starting salary for a CW w/MSW is $40K  less
Good place to work but poor management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Stayed there for over a year. There was no room for promotion., poor management, and unstable work environment. Co-workers are friendly but the Executive staff were not
benefits
Cons
management
the job is what you make it to be
Youth Specialist/School supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 1, 2017
A typical day as a school supervisor is making sure all residents are getting the help that they need in the class room. Residents have very low iq's an needs lots of help some of need even need one on one. it can be hard working with this population but it feels good when you can change a life or lend a helping it makes great deal to some people.
sco family of services
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
When I first started it was a good job however everyone within the company is friends and there is no room for growth if you aren't a friend. A lot of people who are managers do not have the credentials to be in their position but because they're friends with someone they're there. Manangement down talks you mistreats you and who can you turn to when they're friends with HR. New people come and they're paid more because they're friends not because they have more experience.
loving, and warm
Case Planner/ Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 16, 2016
It is a pleasure to reunify children and their families or even finalize an adoption. I work closely with my supervisor and have her support.
The agency was very fun and family oriented
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Dix Hills, NYDecember 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at the to help make a differrnce in young ladies lives. The agency was very supported of their employees.
providing a safe environment for the children
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2016
my job required me to manage and maintain about 30 students or more in the daily basics. I also had to do lesson plans for grades k-12 grade. I also was an art teacher and dance teacher.
Pros
love working with children
Cons
limit hours of operation
Nice company to work for. Family oriented
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYNovember 15, 2016
I enjoyed helping woman to feel better about themselves. Assist them in cooking cleaning, job/house searching. Making them happy made me enjoy the job
Pros
overtime, paid trainings
Cons
no breaks, or flexible hours for overnight staff to incorporate house meetings
Productive and Good Workplace
Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2016
This was a pretty easy experience being here for a few years working with kids. I must had this in me to direct children to learn how to dance and etc. The management was excellent.....I knew them from when I was actually a regular participant.
Cons
N/a
Don't work here
Case worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2016
Low pay. No support. Overworked . Management team is horrible. SCO do not care about their workers.
Please work elsewhere.
SCo give its caseworker a case aid title so that they can pay you less a year..
Pros
The children
Cons
No breaks
Very dysfunctional upper management!
Skilled Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2016
Pro: The families we serve.

Cons: Very dysfunctional upper management. They don't value or appreciate their employees. They try to short change their employees every chance possible. Communication between departments is horrible.
A great place to work
Assistant Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 17, 2016
SCO family services is a great place to work. They treat you like one of them. i may have only worked their for SYEP but i enjoyed it majority of my time their.
There is no advancement.
Senior Intake Specialists (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 17, 2016
A typical day at work is doing intakes updating daily records for company. Management could be more involved in the everyday going on.
Amazing Place to work Sea Cliff
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYJuly 12, 2016
Sea cliff office has amazing people and staff !! Sad to leave but had to move out of state ! The children are so sweet it's what I will miss most . Hope to be back to visit !!
Awesome if you are dumb deaf and blind
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2016
Management is atrocious say one thing but does another. Misrepresent what the program stands for..greedy dishonest self serving uppers. Paperwork disappears if it makes the place seem like the disorganized mess that it is. Too many Chiefs not enough Indians if you can relate to that terminology. Reckless residents among reckless poor exampled leaders. Shameful don't expect any support if a situation appears..they will totally leave you to fall and burn and scratch their buttocks.
Pros
A job, not career
Cons
Ridiculous in everyway
Fun workplace to start off at
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 9, 2016
A typical day as a Group Leader would be snack time, home work time and then the scheduled activity for the day. This is all done in three hours so there is no break. Unless it's a holiday break where the center is open from 8AM - 6PM. Then you'll have a one hour break.

I enjoyed working with SCO and the management was a good team. I got along with my co-workers and didn't have any problems. Sometimes people forget that you come to work and not make friends so that's where problems can start.

Hiring process was very quick for me and the pay is decent which is 11.50/hour. Working the after school and teen program was what I did so hours weren't a problem!
Pros
Free lunch
Benefits
a good start off
Coordinator of Residential Services (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 28, 2016
SCO was a great place to start off my career however it quickly became a place that I needed to jump off from and move on. There were opportunities and often people there to support you in your growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SCO Family of Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8