Scottish Water Employee Reviews

Negative culture
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  KirkcaldyFebruary 15, 2016
Very poor salary for job being done. No security and wage cuts and reduced hours enforced. Feared for job so left. Valuable skills gained
PROCESS SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  ScotlandNovember 19, 2015
I learn a lot of things every day in a great team. It is a very good experience in the Water industry. During my employment I managed to developed very good technical skills and communication skills.
Pros
Pleasant working environment
Cons
Low salary
Very varied organisation with a broad range of staff and cultures.
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day at work for me is atypical, and at Scottish Water it is the same for a lot of the other employees. Working for a utility usually means that you have to be able to quickly adapt to ever-changing situations to keep whatever you are supplying to your customers in supply.

There are some roles at Scottish Water that are fairly predictable, routine and structured. But in others no two days are the same.

What have I learned? That being able to relate, work and communicate with a broad range of personalities and work-styles is key to success in this organisation. That if you work hard it will get noticed (most of the time) and you will find yourself with more responsibility and opportunity as a result; that if you are keen and put your hand up you will get more opportunities than if you keep your head down and just plough on; that a negative mindset is never good in any job; and that you have to rise above gossip, petty quibbles and office politics in order to concentrate on the task at hand (easier said than done).

Management are generally very approachable, competent, friendly and keen to work as a team. Very flat organisational structure means that sitting next to a junior employee is one of our top managers, working away throughout the day. I like that aspect of the culture.

The hardest part of the job can vary - sometimes situations or individuals (both internal and external) can be difficult or challenging, and on occasion long hours are required to get through a potential or real incident affecting customers. Water supply is something we take for granted
  more... and when it goes off it can be very disruptive, and oddly this is when you will see Scottish Water at its best - our field people digging holes at 2am in the rain while in the office our customer contact team get down to answering calls and getting the right response, while the communications element manages everything from social media to press releases to letters to customers and ensures a consistent, timeous message. Thus the hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable - when we turn a seemingly disruptive situation that could result in huge amounts of inconvenience for our customers into something they never even knew happened because we got it sorted in time - that's very satisfying.

I'd say this is the best job I've had, although some aspects of the culture were antediluvian for a LONG time - the organisation has been very slow to embrace technology and has made many mistakes along the way (but that's key to learning). Also there is sometimes ignorance of advice by senior people from the very people they employed to learn about a particular role and subsequently advise them - I'm sure this happens in many organisations, and I have seen it myself in nearly every job I've had. Just because there is a risk it is common to adopt a "do nothing" approach a lot of the time.

The company also espouses agile working - but doesn't always like it when employees do it, and this is down to individual managers and their ignorance of how it can benefit in the long term. There is still a culture of people having to be in an office 9 to 5 Mon to Fri which is very, very outdated.
Pros
Generally friendly, fun place to work and good team spirit.
Cons
Culture can be very slow to respond to change.
DWQR Governance Analyst (Current Employee) –  ScotlandMay 31, 2016
however not relevant for an Australia site, I'm leaving the post because I'm leaving Scotland.

my day is flexible because this is a requirement of thejob. I could be collating information, providing training on apps, updating documentation, attending meetings.
Pros
great employee benefits
N/a
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  InvernessMay 11, 2016
Cryptosporidium analysis of water
Writing and updating methods
Mangaging the crypto lab and the people in it.
Conducting 121 meetings
Very Inserting Salary/Benefits
Customer Service Adviser Representative (Current Employee) –  EDINBURGHFebruary 18, 2015
Customer Service Adviser Representative

Job Work/Life Balance Salary/Benefits Job Security/Advancement

Very Inserting Salary/Benefits
worthwhile
sewer response operative (Former Employee) –  glasgowNovember 20, 2012
started at 8am until 4pm unless you were on your standby week then you started monday 8am and finnished at 4 unless there were any emergency jobs your work came via laptop i learned how to deal with the general public and resolve problems to their satisfaction the hardest part of the job was the weather as u were out in all weather the most enjoyable part of job was resolving customer problems and seeing a big smile on their face
Pros
resolving customer problems
Cons
the severe weather at times and long hours whilst on stand by week
Revenue
Revenue Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  EdinburghApril 23, 2015
Having worked for this company has given me a lot of skills, target driven and how to generate revenue.

A typical day at work involves working together as a team to reach (though each with a particular task) the agree target - in order to generate revenue.
Scottish Water
Plant operator (Former Employee) –  South East ScotlandJuly 6, 2014
I worked 8 years with Scottish Water, straight from school.
Scottish Water has a great way of looking after there employees, i had a great line manager looking after myself and the team i worked with, he always pushed for our rights and such like.
At Scottish Water After my Apprenticeship i was tasked to look after a network of wastewater treatment plants, Covering some of the Fife area. It was my dutie to maintain and keep the plants operating at the enviromental safe peramitors set by SEPA Scotlands Enviromental Protection Agency, This frequently ment dismantiling and rebuilding and cleaning pipelines, pumps, screens, auto samplers. Cleaning streched throughout the whole site, inorder to maintain the process.
Scottish Water
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCTJuly 5, 2013
-Successful understanding and implementation of Reasonable Cost Contributions agreements (RRC) with the goal to adopt agreed assets.
-Spent time daily with colleagues and customers engaging with them on increasing their knowledge on numerous aspects; Water for Scotland and Sewers for Scotland.
-Co-coordinating, planning and approval of onsite infrastructure.
-Analysing data for pre and post flows for new proposed housing developments.
-Acted as statutory consul tee for planning reform legislation and (DIA) Development Impact Assessments.
-Preparation of workloads for framework and subcontractors.

I learned how to multitask various responsibilities as listed above on a daily basis while producing a high standard of work in accordance with Sewers/Water for Scotland (2nd edition). I learned about different types of water and wastewater treatment as well as management of these resources.

The co-workers were generally happy to share their personal knowledge and assist were possible however due to the size of the company and the complexity of the work there was competing issues.

The hardest part of the job is to ensure that you remain flexible while enforcing non-negotiable protocols. Departmental politics became a burden.

I personally enjoyed the challenge of learning new information about all apparatus but even more so I enjoyed the opportunity to improve upon existing systems and structures. In addition to this forging new relationships with internal and external stakeholders was a forte of mine as keeping these associations open and constructive was key in countless examples.
Pros
good pension. job security.
Cons
office politics.
SW Review
Multi Skilled Electrical/mechanical craftsman (Current Employee) –  TaysideJune 30, 2013
Excellent place to work. Hardest part of job is working with Raw sewage which can be very disgusting!

Co workers are excellent company and the job is very enjoyable, especially as I get to work outside a lot.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
not having the freedom to develop and progress in career
Result-driven organisation
Project Manager / Head Sustainability Initiative (Current Employee) –  UKFebruary 20, 2014
A very challenging and result driven organisation. Big organisation with many career options.
Pros
many options for career development
Cons
poor remuneration
Best job I ever had. Excellent company, organised and learning was enjoyable.
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Invergowrie, Dundee, TaysideDecember 19, 2012
I really enjoyed my time at Scottish Water. I learned so much about chemistry and how a proper lab should be run, with the day to day schedule. It made me more competent and confident in my role. I was sad to leave and made such good friends while there.
Pros
the people i worked with.
Cons
the laboratory being forced to move to edinburgh with loss of jobs.
Projects Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Central Belt, SCTNovember 5, 2014
Always learning new things on a daily basis.....great team working....hardest part of job is concluding legal matters.

Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with.
Pros
department away days for team bonding
One of the worst companies you can ever encounter
Manager (Former Employee) –  GlasgowMarch 25, 2013
Long working hours, no accountability or responsibility, frustration with utter incompetence.
Bullying culture.
Pros
ideal for consultants, plenty of work
Cons
long and pointless meetings, incompetent staff
Top heavy management
water inspector (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCTAugust 13, 2013
All in all a pleasent place to work and learn as time went on certain changes within the organisation were questionable to say the least
Pros
pension scheme employee welfare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Water. Our community is ready to answer.