Scottish Water Employee Reviews

Many Opportunities
Risk Technician (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, GlasgowApril 21, 2017
Many opportunities to move within company. Scottish Water's contact centre is a good place to work. The management are well organised and co-workers are generally very helpful.
Shockingly poor management
Maintenance Department (Former Employee) –  GlasgowApril 16, 2017
This was once a great place to work but too much management incompetence has created an environment where nobody really knows what's going on during day to day operations creating a lot of wasted time and effort. Under qualified staff being promoted into positions of responsibility with no formal training or assessments then being forced into making terrible personnel/strategic decisions enforced on them by upper management. Many people are over worked and severely underpaid for what they do and on the flip side of that many are overpaid for doing next to nothing. General workers are nice people who try hard but their hands are tied by management who seem committed to grinding them down to do as they wish, not that nice a place to work anymore.
Pros
Some T&C's, annual leave
Cons
Management tactics, low pay, lack of training
Dependant on the management of the department
Former lab assistant (Former Employee) –  HighlandsApril 1, 2017
Very high management to staff ratio over worked staff poor manager participation excellent staff interaction with each other banding with each other against the bullying and mistreatment sceintist tidied services one of the dirtiest places I have ever seen
The benefits are the sick pay the pension and home times and the actual workforce future development and progression dependant on which manager you know
Pros
Pension and sick pay
Cons
Managerial bullying
Abysmal
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, GlasgowFebruary 25, 2017
Not a good enviroment to be at all. Worked in admin but was more like a call centre with some really bad telephone calls that came through constantly through the day.
Dont expect proper training as they are so over worked no one has time to train you so you basically have to wing your way through the day. Or ask someone whon is also winging it as they have never recieved proper training.
Systems are so outdated and slow to the point of causing total frustration when workload was so high. Constant turnover of staff and constantly having to work from home including weekends to catch up with work.
Very stressful place to work !!!
Horrible environment
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, SomersetFebruary 20, 2017
Shocking place to work.
They do not treat agency staff the same as SW employees at all. There is a lot of favouritism from team leaders.
I worked within the logistics team, admin.
Working in this team is like a mini call centre despite them telling you that is not what this team is.
The staff turnover is horrendous, people coming and going every week near enough. It is a very negative environment, there is no training set in place for employees, some of the staff that have been in the office for a long period of time can be very down grading. Not a good place to work, make you feel like your just another person in the world, they do not value their employees at all. No matter how much you help out, it is never appreciated.
Ok
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  ScotlandNovember 16, 2016
Good work life balance, but a lack of salary and ability to move once you are at top of the band.

Management need to think more and be open to new ideas
Friendly workplace with good managment
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  EdinburghOctober 27, 2016
Scottish Water's contact centre is a good place to work. The management are well organised and co-workers are generally very helpful. Many different roles within here, doing either phones, social media, emails or scheduling.
Cons
Open 24 hours
Large organisation with excellent values
Business Development (Former Employee) –  StirlingAugust 19, 2016
Dynamic and engaging workplace with friendly staff. Good developer of people and a proactive approach to creating a positive work environment. Very interesting portfolio of work with the largest companies in the country. Satisfaction gained from being able to help many people through provision of business solutions and tailored project delivery.
Pros
Flexible working
Fun Workplace
Director (Former Employee) –  EdinburghJune 19, 2016
Very enjoyable and informative workplace. Very good work experience. I learned lots about security and what a working day routine is like.
DWQR Governance Analyst (Current Employee) –  ScotlandMay 31, 2016
however not relevant for an Australia site, I'm leaving the post because I'm leaving Scotland.

my day is flexible because this is a requirement of thejob. I could be collating information, providing training on apps, updating documentation, attending meetings.
Pros
great employee benefits
N/a
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  InvernessMay 11, 2016
Cryptosporidium analysis of water
Writing and updating methods
Mangaging the crypto lab and the people in it.
Conducting 121 meetings
Negative culture
Project Planner (Current Employee) –  KirkcaldyFebruary 15, 2016
Very poor salary for job being done. No security and wage cuts and reduced hours enforced. Feared for job so left. Valuable skills gained
Very varied organisation with a broad range of staff and cultures.
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day at work for me is atypical, and at Scottish Water it is the same for a lot of the other employees. Working for a utility usually means that you have to be able to quickly adapt to ever-changing situations to keep whatever you are supplying to your customers in supply.

There are some roles at Scottish Water that are fairly predictable, routine and structured. But in others no two days are the same.

What have I learned? That being able to relate, work and communicate with a broad range of personalities and work-styles is key to success in this organisation. That if you work hard it will get noticed (most of the time) and you will find yourself with more responsibility and opportunity as a result; that if you are keen and put your hand up you will get more opportunities than if you keep your head down and just plough on; that a negative mindset is never good in any job; and that you have to rise above gossip, petty quibbles and office politics in order to concentrate on the task at hand (easier said than done).

Management are generally very approachable, competent, friendly and keen to work as a team. Very flat organisational structure means that sitting next to a junior employee is one of our top managers, working away throughout the day. I like that aspect of the culture.

The hardest part of the job can vary - sometimes situations or individuals (both internal and external) can be difficult or challenging, and on occasion long hours are required to get through a potential or real incident affecting customers. Water supply is something we take for granted
  more... and when it goes off it can be very disruptive, and oddly this is when you will see Scottish Water at its best - our field people digging holes at 2am in the rain while in the office our customer contact team get down to answering calls and getting the right response, while the communications element manages everything from social media to press releases to letters to customers and ensures a consistent, timeous message. Thus the hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable - when we turn a seemingly disruptive situation that could result in huge amounts of inconvenience for our customers into something they never even knew happened because we got it sorted in time - that's very satisfying.

I'd say this is the best job I've had, although some aspects of the culture were antediluvian for a LONG time - the organisation has been very slow to embrace technology and has made many mistakes along the way (but that's key to learning). Also there is sometimes ignorance of advice by senior people from the very people they employed to learn about a particular role and subsequently advise them - I'm sure this happens in many organisations, and I have seen it myself in nearly every job I've had. Just because there is a risk it is common to adopt a "do nothing" approach a lot of the time.

The company also espouses agile working - but doesn't always like it when employees do it, and this is down to individual managers and their ignorance of how it can benefit in the long term. There is still a culture of people having to be in an office 9 to 5 Mon to Fri which is very, very outdated.
Pros
Generally friendly, fun place to work and good team spirit.
Cons
Culture can be very slow to respond to change.
PROCESS SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  ScotlandNovember 19, 2015
I learn a lot of things every day in a great team. It is a very good experience in the Water industry. During my employment I managed to developed very good technical skills and communication skills.
Pros
Pleasant working environment
Cons
Low salary
Revenue
Revenue Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  EdinburghApril 23, 2015
Having worked for this company has given me a lot of skills, target driven and how to generate revenue.

A typical day at work involves working together as a team to reach (though each with a particular task) the agree target - in order to generate revenue.
Very Inserting Salary/Benefits
Customer Service Adviser Representative (Current Employee) –  EDINBURGHFebruary 18, 2015
Customer Service Adviser Representative

Job Work/Life Balance Salary/Benefits Job Security/Advancement

Very Inserting Salary/Benefits
Cons
Projects Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Central Belt, SCTNovember 5, 2014
Always learning new things on a daily basis.....great team working....hardest part of job is concluding legal matters.

Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with.
Pros
department away days for team bonding
Scottish Water
Plant operator (Former Employee) –  South East ScotlandJuly 6, 2014
I worked 8 years with Scottish Water, straight from school.
Scottish Water has a great way of looking after there employees, i had a great line manager looking after myself and the team i worked with, he always pushed for our rights and such like.
At Scottish Water After my Apprenticeship i was tasked to look after a network of wastewater treatment plants, Covering some of the Fife area. It was my dutie to maintain and keep the plants operating at the enviromental safe peramitors set by SEPA Scotlands Enviromental Protection Agency, This frequently ment dismantiling and rebuilding and cleaning pipelines, pumps, screens, auto samplers. Cleaning streched throughout the whole site, inorder to maintain the process.
Result-driven organisation
Project Manager / Head Sustainability Initiative (Current Employee) –  UKFebruary 20, 2014
A very challenging and result driven organisation. Big organisation with many career options.
Pros
Many options for career development
Cons
Poor remuneration
Top heavy management
water inspector (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCTAugust 13, 2013
All in all a pleasent place to work and learn as time went on certain changes within the organisation were questionable to say the least
Pros
Pension scheme employee welfare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Water. Our community is ready to answer.