Scottrade, Inc

Scottrade, Inc Employer Reviews

Good internship
Branch Intern (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAJanuary 15, 2015
Friendly company and management. As an intern I mainly dealed with who was in my office so I got lucky.
Handled most of the every day admin work (phones, email, paperwork, etc). Very flexible schedule and good pay for an internship. The systems are outdated and don't give the offices adequate tools to provide the best service
Sharing what many don't share with me
Sr. Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2015
Hardest part of the job - Playing Politics, tested with over guided, rough working conditions without a quite area within a cubicle with tall walls in order to perform the job. Privacy gone but not for leadership or those with higher authority / status than you.
Once a proud and distinguished company that has deteriorated.
branch stockbroker (Former Employee), ohioJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: branch co-workers
Cons: lower than average industry salary, lack of advancement, incompetent corporate middle management, no vision or guidance from corporate team.
Scottrade has changed dramatically through the years and unfortunately it is not for the best. This used to be a company that did not have the corporate politics or cut throat environment that you would find at other firms. Promotions are now based on popularity and other influences. You will find that corporate middle management and branch management have managers in roles they have no business being in. So many managers lack key managerial skills and this has hurt a great company that prided itself on hiring the best and creating a client first environment.
A culture shift toward a sales environment at Scottrade has resulted in a disaster as the company struggles to train an entire organization on a new concept of doing business.
If you're looking to get licensed and start a career in financial serives I would consider other firms before choosing Scottrade.
Good Company
Investment Consultant (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 8, 2014
Pros: good 401k match, good work/life balance
Cons: bad management
There is some good and bad. Your day consists of answering phone calls and proactive calling. My co-workers were fun to work with. Management seems to be winging it. They switched to sales and are having a hard time leading the way.
Great workplace for secondary family earner
Operations Associate (Current Employee), St. LouisDecember 1, 2014
Pros: people, work-life balance
Cons: compensation
Great work-life balance and great people. Company has a family oriented culture and respects the personal life of the associates. The company knows that people will stay for these benefits so they do not offer great pay for those who advance through the company.
Organization Regressing
Investment Consultant (Current Employee), NJNovember 24, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance.
Cons: decreasing pay, increasing targets, no positive reinforcement.
This company has committed the ultimate sin in sales. They have cut (substantially) the pay of their sales force while increasing their goals. A company new into sales should never be lowering pay and asking more. This has killed company morale. Middle management and the executives have no sales experience. Internally the company is just a barrier to its employees success. The product is good though. People like the company, the website is good, and they provide great support to the clients. But morale is low, and there seems to be no motivation in sight.
Has both strengths and weaknesses
Investment Consultant (Former Employee), Indian Wells, CANovember 18, 2014
Pros: great client to work with
Cons: understaffing in all departments
There are resources online enabling clients to make informed investment decisions. There is a free Select etf list ($7.00 trades) & mutual funds list (lots of free funds selected, saves clients). Great value for the client.
Good work life balance
Stockbroker (Former Employee), NYCNovember 11, 2014
Not a very demanding job. Able to work a nine to five job and have a life. You won't need to think about the job after you leave.
Not a very good company
Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Broomfield, COOctober 21, 2014
Management and leadership is needed. Micro managed to often and not enough direction or help.
Service Based Company
SQL Database Analyst (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2014
Got huge clients in almost all areas of Business.
Technology and service oriented company
My experience
Investment Consultant (Current Employee), Portland, ORAugust 25, 2014
A typical day at work consists of identifying and removing barriers to financial success for many clients. This is done through proactive conversations, appointments, and seminars.

This position has provided me with increased investment knowledge, becoming confident and assertive with every interaction.

The management on a branch level is excellent, they provide us with room for learning. The management on a national level is very disoriented and confused. They seem to have too many cooks in the kitchen with policy changes almost on a weekly basis. They do not seem to provide associates with the time for a specific policy to develop.

The co-workers in the small office environment are very amenable. They provide assistance when needed.

The most difficult part of my position is being able to juggle the assets that need to be gathered to reach our goal and the very odd tracking system that we must follow. For example: "You must have 13 closes and approximately 1.5 million in closes, but you must also have 15 outbound attempts and 10 sales dialog contacts."
So as you see, even if you reach your goal of providing the ultimate goal, you are still reprimanded by corporate for not reaching your "contact" goal.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the client walked away learning something.
Low pay, poor management, lack of respect.
Marketing (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2014
Pros: community involvement
Cons: working lunch hour
This company is extremely young and some of the managers have been promoted way beyond their skillsets.There is a lack of solid leadership here. That being said, I think the CEO is a great guy, but unfortunately he is unaware that some of the managers go so far as to "bully" their employees. I had a manager call in my colleagues and encourage them to give negative feedback about me behind closed doors. I was also told not to speak unless spoken to. It's a shame that this kind of behavior still goes on and Human Resources chooses to look the other way.
Great entry level job
Investment Consultant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2014
Handling walkin's and also manning the phones for inbound and outbound. I have learned a great deal about the industry, and gained a lot of knowledge throughout my time. There is not much room for advancement and the base salaries compared to our industry standard is below average.

The best part about my job is being able to help our clients understand what is going with their account and being able to help them save on fee's.
Investment Consultant
Investment Consultant (Current Employee), PAAugust 6, 2014
Scottrade used to be all about service but now is focused on sales
Great for entry level
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee), Westminster, COJuly 26, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: low pay
If this is your first job this is a great opportunity. They really help you learn if you are new to the industry. The pay is on the low end and there doesn't seem to be much room to move up if you work in the call center.
A company with a great culture
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Flushing, NYJuly 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: ability to adance career
I currently am a Branch Manager at Scottrade. I manage all supervisory aspects of the Branch as well as lead a team of Investment Consultants that help clients remove the barriers to financial success.
Good starting internship
Branch Intern (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NJJuly 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Daily administrative duties and assisting customers. Talked to clients in person and on the phone to answer basic questions.
Innovative Financial Environment
Administrative Compliance (Former Employee), Saint Louis, MissouriJuly 7, 2014
Excellent company to work for that understands work/family balance, innovative with financial programs and investment techniques, and unique in helping that independent financial investor excel with financial security.
Stable Company - No Commissions
Intern (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 25, 2014
Pros: good culture / stable
Cons: lower pay than industry norm
Best places to work Fortune 100 list every year. 8-5 job, no weekends. Deal with lots of customers - good and bad. Family owned and never lays people off.
Enjoyable co-workers with a concrete schedule
Intern (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 20, 2014
Office is small with three employees. Days were slow and this prompted bad management practices (spending company time viewing social media and YouTube videos). The hardest part of the position was dealing with the occasional unruly client. The most enjoyable aspect was the office environment.

1 2 3 4