Scottsdale Unified School District Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Temporary School Substitute Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 7, 2017
Pleasant work environment. Temporary position. Autonomous atmosphere. Great hours. Various opportunities to sub at nearby schools. Supportive Parents of children.
Satisfying
Vocational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 2, 2017
Daily gratitude from my students. Busy and fast-paced. Worked well with supervisors. Weekends were off. Holidays were off. Several breaks during school year.
Pros
summertime
Cons
salary
Kids Club is a fantastic organization to work for in SUSD!!
Childcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 24, 2017
The kids, parents, and staff are welcoming and wonderful! The job is energetic and always changing. It was a great learning experience! The location where they Before and Aftercare locations are nice and well cared for. The school staff at every site is kind and helpful!
Pros
Students and school atmosphere
Wonderful place to work
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 12, 2017
My typical day was to educate and "take care" of children.
This included making lesson plans, teaching, contacting parents, meeting with other educational specialists, grade keeping and reporting and anything else related to teaching.
I loved watching the lightbulb turn on in their eyes!
Pros
I loved the children and teaching them.
Cons
Very long days, evening grading papers
Toxic Work Environment
Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 8, 2017
Martyring oneself, daily, in an effort to teach to a test. There is no accountability for students, while there are unrealistic expectations for teachers.
Scottsdale Unified School district is a K-12 school spanning a very large area in Scottsdale, Phoenix and Paradise Valley.
Educator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 24, 2017
appropriate and useful materials
arts education supported
educational programs varied and coordinated over elementary, middle and high school
travel between sites minimal
administrative, parent, student, colleague support varied by school
socioeconomic varied by location
Pros
excellent support of arts education
Cons
large school district, difficult commutes to sites, challenging to maintain work/home life
School bus aide
School Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 3, 2017
School bus aide is extremely rewarding and full of adventure and new things to learn and to teach. The only downfall was that there was not enough pay.
Fabulous district to teach in
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 29, 2017
SUSD has been a great place to work for the past 23 years. I have been supported as a teacher and would highly recommend SUSD to anyone. As a teacher I have always had what I've needed from SUSD to teach any grade that I've taught
Love my students
English as a Second Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 30, 2017
Scottsdale School District has been a great employer for the past 15 years - helping me grow from a para-educator to certified teacher.
Good work environment, great support staff and learining opportunities
RN School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 18, 2017
Great support staff and learning opportunities, too bad the salary is not competitive for today's Professional Nurses...The working hours and holiday time is great, the daily workload can be somewhat overwhelming to a single nurse working independently without immediate support from nursing supervisor...the administrative staff support is great.
teams are great
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 1, 2017
The teams within the school district are positive, upbeat and fun. They offer lots of support at a district and school level. They are tough and you need to be prepared to put in extra hours.
Pros
free food from parents, lots of holiday vacations
Cons
long hours, little pay
Learning can be innovative and creative
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 28, 2016
Typically, I can administer lesson plans for any classroom without thorough knowledge of the subject. I've learned a great deal about educating students from modeling experienced teachers. Managing the classroom is an asset and should be given relevant experience to applicants applying for supervisory job positions without supervisory experience. The hardest part about the job is not being knowledgeable on a subject. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students who enjoy learning.
Pros
Educational learning is essential to one's success
Cons
Not needing knowledge on a subject can be challenging when questions are addressed.
The district is a mess.
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 4, 2016
No job security. Pay is blah.. and chain of command is a joke. If you don't fit the Scottsdale reputation they treat you horrible. It's as cliquey as high school.
Eye-opening
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 13, 2016
I just started substitute teaching this year. So far, I've subbed for PE and gifted & talented at Kiva and ELA and social studies for 2, 4, and 5 at Hohokum. I also did a week at the infant care room at Pueblo and preK at Oak. I have to say I like Hohokum best so far.

I also was more or less offered a job overseeing the computer lab at K-8 further north. And while I liked the principal and VP, I had to turn it down because incredibly, this job paid even less than the $12.97/hour substitutes get. And it was for less than 30 hours/week so no benefits, 5 days a week. The job was "funded" by the PTO which generously bought tens of thousands of dollars' worth of equipment but is apparently OK with a low-wage person overseeing it. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm doing this because my own business is slow and since I'm "old," I can't find a permanent job since my last layoff (two since I moved to Arizona 13 years ago). That said, I'm enjoying myself more than I imagined I would. Most of the kids are nice although there are, of course, wise guys who take advantage of the "sub." I just tell them that their teacher is smart enough to know who I'm describing in my notes to him/her.

I do wish the district orientation gave substitutes some training about classroom technology and an idea of general school norms, like how many kids can go to the bathroom, the "clip-down/clip up" discipline, and other common practices among school. They literally tell you nothing.

It would also be helpful if teachers understood how to write out a lesson plan. Four lines isn't helpful. What is the
  more... room # for art or the computer room? Elementary school kids aren't the most reliable sources. They also don't remember IDs and passwords (heck, my high-school aged son tells me some of his classmates can't remember them!)

I wish lesson plans were available on the Aesoponline system so subs can review them before going to school. Not all absences are illness-related. Teachers schedule time off for personal days and trainings. Once you're in a classroom, the kids are all over you or all over the place. I quickly learned to get in a half-hour early to look over the lesson plan.

Some sub listings on Aesoponline don't even indicate the grade and/or subject. You can always go to the school website for this but not all schools indicate subjects.

I do think that $13/hour is too low, esp since there are no benefits whatsoever and this job does require a college degree. In this economy, you will find people who will accept it but who will also drop out of the substitute system if something better comes along.
Pros
You might find a school where the kids are nicer and other teachers are supportive
Cons
No benefits at all. No training. Little advance information on class/subject.
Rich culturally diversified academic community
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed subbing because I was working all the time. I was a preferred sub in many elementary schools, which I enjoyed. I commanded the respect of the students in my charge inspiring and teaching the lesson plans, standing and delivering the materials in an engaging entertaining fashion, which reflected my classroom management style, firm and fun. I was able to apply the teaching skills I acquired teaching in international schools in the Bahamas and Venezuela. I enjoyed the freedom to choose the schools where I'd teach. The hardest part of the job was not being able to come back the next day and sustain the relationships with the students and faculty that I worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.
Pros
Feeling like I make a difference in lives
Cons
Budget cuts limit my time of service
Enjoyable and stimulating work enviornment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  7575 E. Main Street, Scottsdale, Az 85251June 26, 2016
Challenging and interesting work. Being able to be flexible and adaptive to a variety of types of classes. Monitoring and following
individual lession plans for individual teachers. Each day is a learning experience for a Substitute Teacher. because each class and subject can be different. I worked with both mainstream classes and special needs students. The most important thing I have learned is that not everyone learns in the same way. And it is important to be able to adapt in ways that can accommodate individual students when needed
The hardest part of the job is when students have specific needs or issues and the teachers or administration do not inform you what they are. It makes it frustrating for both the student and the Substitute. The most enjoyable part is when you can tell that you are getting through to the students and making a difference.
Students
Substitute Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 6, 2016
I loved this job! I was a substitute teacher in this district for 6th months and I learned a lot. Working with special education students taught me about perseverance and understanding.
Pros
Students
High School Football Coach
Coach (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 24, 2016
I loved almost every moment of my job. The coaching staff was great. Sad to say our head coach got let go. Most of the problems were out of his control.
good interaction with high school students
senior nutritional service worker (Former Employee) –  Coronado High SchoolSeptember 1, 2015
It is really hard to review a job that requires very limited skills. A typical day was to make a variety of different salads. Prepare my cart for sales to the students out on the campus.The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the high school students.
Pros
students
Cons
making salads
great people and great to be a team
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2015
A Great place To work co workers and teachers were great and I miss them, still have friends that iam still in touch with them. It was a great team to be a part of Miss Them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottsdale Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval