Scripps Institution of Oceanography Employee Reviews

Great location and people
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 6, 2016
Hours were flexible, co-workers were inclusive, and relatively close to main campus. The environment was conducive for learning and expanding research.
An excellent work place for scientists and researchers
Russian River Water Management Capstone Project (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 19, 2016
A wonderful place near the ocean, one of the top research institution in the world, where scientists can enjoy their work and advance in their academic career.
Pros
Free lunches, 30% discount for restaurnts around the institution for SIO employees and students
Cons
Limited scope of research and projects
Some amazing experiences
Marine Technician III (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 8, 2012
There is nothing typical about a day at work with this position. When I go to work I am flown where ever in the world they need me: New Zealand, Chile, South Africa, Guam, and China are just a few examples. I am the only scientist for these cruises and am completely responsible for the set up, maintenance, and training of other personnel. In addition, the collection of data is solely my responsibility. My coworkers can be other scientists or crew members of a merchant ship. The most difficult part of the job is when there is a problem while at sea. If there is an equipment malfunction I am awake until the problem is resolved. In some cases this can be days at a time. I love the travel, love meeting all of the amazing people involved in this program, and particularly enjoy being part of collecting data and information that helps people around the world enjoy more accurate weather prediction.
Pros
travel, meeting interesting people, good compensation
Cons
not enough work currently
lab manager
Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  san diego, caMarch 5, 2014
a typical day involves measuring hundreds of samples. the hardest part of the job is not going crazy repeating the same thing over and over. the most enjoyable part of my job is when i finish a project that helps my boss finish a paper
Incredible co-workers
Government Relations Intern (Part-time employee) (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 14, 2012
This is a professional group who manages hard work and compassion simultaneously.
Pros
next to ocean.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5