SDL Employee Reviews

Good work-life balance
Freelance Copywriter (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 25, 2017
I've been working as a remote freelancer for SDL for several months. Although deadlines on my current project are sometimes pretty tight, the workload has been manageable and easy to work around the responsibilities of life. Downward communication is sometimes a little out of sync with process changes, but management seems to do a good job of filling in gaps in understanding as needed and is responsive to clarifying questions.

Overall, I am very happy with the work I've been doing and feel I have learned a lot of new skills at SDL that I can take with me to future projects.
Pros
Remote, flexible, good work-life balance
Cons
None really
Good Work Environment
FUNCTIONAL TEST ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Superior, COJune 1, 2017
Worked as an independent contractor
-Had Work Life balance
-Good Management
-Received my pay checks on time
-multilingual work culture
-Pay is moderate
They treat you like family
National Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, NJMay 12, 2017
i learned everything i know about sales from sdl. i leaned about life as well. i was there for 20 years and have made life long friends. They know what they are doing and anyone would be lucky to work for them.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 10, 2017
Great company with new investment and a solid plan for moving into the future. I look forward to working with my immediate team and collaborating with other business units.
Fun to work
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Superior, COMarch 22, 2017
great place for career growth, making friends. It's so fun! . One of my favorite parts about is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance
Love working with children
k5 paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Lancaster paFebruary 27, 2017
My career working with children was amazing and is still is it is challenging and over powering but it's a succeeding career. Making sure that the teachers paper work is done and supervise the children at all times. Bilingual is a plus to help families that needed to speak to teachers and staff.
Pros
Learning, help children and a good future
Architecture Painter (Former Employee) –  JagodinaOctober 7, 2016
This is actually the same company as the other one ("DOO in Jagodina") , just a duplicate made from a technical error.
So, this the reason we are typing here again
Pros
Same as the other review
Cons
Same as the other review
Fun place to work with a great environment!
Associate Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Superior, COOctober 17, 2015
Great work environment, good company culture, great benefits and opportunities to advance.

Training was pretty comprehensive, localization is definitely an industry that requires a lot of learning.

Fun management that is understanding of the learning process.
Productive and friendly environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2015
Management is good and friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job was to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was compensation and job flexibility.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Brief breaks & didn't allow time-off
Overall a great place to work!
Student Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 18, 2015
I have worked here as a student. It offers great experience as you complete your degree. You get real hands on experience. I can't claim to know as much about a full time position but most of the people I have worked with seemed happy there.
Global, positive, easy access office outside of Boston
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MASeptember 19, 2014
Great exposure to global work place. Ability to work with great employees around the world. You need to be flexible and able to work in an ambiguous setting and if you are good at managing your own workload and deliverables you can really succeed.
Pros
flexible work schedule, comfortable work environment; excellent benefits
Cons
salary is below average
Employer of last resort
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Superior, COJuly 28, 2014
Pay is below standard, management is rude and inconsiderate. You will be expected to work long hrs for peanuts.
Pros
Some good coworkers and interesting work (but not for the money)
Cons
Pay, management
Has a lot of potential and great people.
Mid level Drone (Current Employee) –  Vast corporate wastelandJune 17, 2014
Do you like cheap soft drinks? Do you like to contribute to the company and bring in Millions of revenue only to have someone take the spotlight? Do you like to work in constant fear and uncertainty.

If you said yes to all of the above, SDL is the right company for you. It has 0 company culture. Did you say "no" to the stays quo?! Your fired!!! There is an infinite number of poorly paid and uneducated drones to take your place. If you keep your head down for the next 6 years...it won't make any difference!!! Your termination could come at any time without notice just because someone doesn't "like" you.

Do you like to nod your head in agreement all the while you silently scream in your head "Nooooooooo"? This place is perfect for you!!!
Pros
Subsidized vending machine, decent health benefits.
Cons
corporate politics and lack of culture
Management and Workplace
Field Marketing Manager - North America (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2014
While working here I developed quite a few very close friends, however, management, job work/life balance, compensation, advancement, and job culture are less to be desired.
Pros
people
Cons
job work/life balance, compensation, advancement, training, job culture
Great place to work with very driven and like minded people
Partner Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
I insured the success of clients by managing the teams of Professional Services, Managed Services, Support and Development on any issues or current projects.

Negotiated and closed multi-million dollar / multi-year contracts with all levels of management in prospective clients.

I was privileged to work with some of the brightest people in the CRM space.

It was great working with like minded and driven people to ensure the success of the clients and our company.
Pros
Work from home, rewarded for delivering results and exceeding quota
Cons
Great environment where everybody work together in this company
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 15, 2013
SDL let's you help engineering group or other department in resolving issues as quickly as possible to reduce downtime.
Pros
Geting along with co-workers
Cons
Company was sold to a bigger company which caused dismissal.
A nice normal office job. Not real exciting, Not great pay but stabel
Junior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  wakefield maOctober 26, 2013
SDL plc is just a typical day job at a desk. Not much happens. it's low stress but on the other hand the salaries tend to be significantly lower than the standards at other companies in the same area.

It's not a bad place to work but things move pretty slowly and I don't see much in the way of opportunity for advancement
Pros
stable
Cons
low pay
good job. too much work for too little pay.
Project manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMay 7, 2013
This is a good company in many respects. There is a very well documented process (ISO) and plenty of people with lots of experience and knowledge. The office is full of interesting, international people. And overall it is quite friendly.
The main issue is that they don't pay nearly the local going rate to its employees. This is true across offices. Because of it, there is very high turnover. It's a wonder management doesn't seem to put a monetary value on turnover and therefore compensate people correctly to minimize it. Also, because of the turnover it is common to throw new employees into work without them having a proper training. Again, the negative affect on accounts and deliverables is obvious and a value could be placed on this.
Pros
good work environment and good people
Cons
well below industry salary, inadequate training.
Enterprise Localization Business Development,...
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 2, 2012
I was hired under the Director of Business Development, and through the merger of Trados to SDL my manager ultimately resigned 2 months later. I managed to develop my place anyway, though the strategy was to manage Business development out of Chicago.

I developed over 1.5M in business in 2 quarters, and worked to develop leads for 5 Field BDM's. I was trained in XML based sales strategies to get into technical publishers.
Pros
satellite office, had a ping pong table, great employees, events
Cons
the business was moving to chicago, ill.