Searles Valley Minerals

Searles Valley Minerals Employee Reviews

Exceptional Experience
Instrumentation Journeyman (Current Employee), Trona CAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Location
A Great Company. Friendly staff and management. Great Benefits and Pay. Breaks are given, which is nice.
The Shifts are not too long and no night shift. Co Workers are knowledgeable and Friendly.
Always something new to do.
Plant Support Specialist B (Former Employee), Trona, CAMay 13, 2015
The people there are always nice and will help you with any task you don't know how to do. the management is great. I learn how to run heavy machinery and work on them.
Good, caring people. Opportunity to grow.
Toolroom Technician (Current Employee), Trona, CAMarch 2, 2015
I am privileged to have a great job with Searles Valley Minerals. I thoroughly enjoy the diversity of my position. No day is the same. One day I may sit at my desk ordering equipment and supplies half the day, another day I may be out driving a forklift and stocking pipe fittings and bolts and yet another day, rebuilding pneumatic chipping guns.
As a female in a male dominated environment I feel I am respected and have had very little negative issues, for which I am extremely grateful. My supervisor(s) encourage me to expand and grow, and respect my abilities and decision making. I feel SVM is very committed to equal opportunity for all employees.
I also appreciate the health coverage the company offers, as well as a 401K.
VEry hardworking job enviorment
Operations Technician (Current Employee), Trona, CAFebruary 3, 2015
The hardest part I had with this job was that I was required to be away from my family for multiple days on end. Other than that I have learned some amazing job and life skills that I have continued to use in my current job.
Not a bad place to work.
Plant Operator/ Board Operator (Current Employee), Trona, CAOctober 5, 2014
Pros: you can make a pretty good living here.
Cons: your family wont see you very much so, hug them babies!
My job is pretty simple. At least to me it is. A typical day is usually easy. Some days are hard but, most are not. Working here is not bad. It could be better but, its not to bad. Management needs a little help understanding the importance of employee moral but, its probably like that in many places. There is a lot of infighting, he said she said garbage but, don't get involved in that and you'll do just fine.
Productive, continual learning experience.
Senior Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Trona, CASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: work with your schedule, good people.
Cons: doesn't respect older workforce, trying to push them out the door.
Typical day- Delegate work load to employees, make sure everyone has proper protective equipment. Have a meeting to answer any questions about the work load for the day.
I have learned many things with this company. You can continually learn as long as you apply yourself.
Management currently is not on the right track, I believe that they are working toward something better.
You are only as good as the people around you, your co-workers mean a lot, they can help you through whatever rough times you are having weather it be at home or at work.
Your job can always be enjoyable as long as you continue to stay motivated and encouraging.
hard but fare
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Trona, CAJuly 2, 2014
it was very hot hard work but very filling. good pay great hours. I would go back in a heart beet.
Good Benefits
INSTRUMENTATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Trona, CaMay 29, 2014
Hot and dirty place to work. Management is always rushing jobs. Not any room to advance within the company unless you are part of the "Good O'l Boy" Club.
very independent work situation
Production / Operations Technician (Former Employee), Trona, CAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: great salary
Cons: long hours with rotating shifts from day to night
conducted quality analysis, controlled production machinery and production rates of chemicals, operated, maintained, and serviced production equipment, complied with all OSHA guidelines, followed safety practices and procedures... will explain more with interview.
No culture, decent pay
Tech (Current Employee), Trona, CAFebruary 19, 2014
The pay is ok for a remote location like this, but then again, could be better because it is so remote. Management only talks about how the budget will be cut and very little interaction otherwise.
It was a good paying job with decent benefits.
MATERIAL HANDLING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Trona, CAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good pay, and benefits
Cons: moral was low and lack of organization
A general day would be go into our work area start up the machines that packed bags full of product.We would check all the information passed down to us from the other shift and on the work orders. Our job was to keep our bag packing line running as much as we could.

I would have to say that i learned how the industrial side of business works. Also all about work orders, bag packing machines,and all that has to do with rail car movement.

I would have to say management needed some work in there organizing. Other than that they were okay.

My co-workers were decent they helped me and i helped them. I had no real issue with any of the people i worked with.

The hardest part of my job was being on your feet for twelve hours. It wasn't just standing it was bending, reaching, and stair climbing. On top of that if something broke down that could cause you more work having to walk back and forth to test and get things to fix the problem.

I would say the part of my job that i liked the most was the troubleshooting and figuring things out. The experience i get from that will benefit me for life.
Productive, very busy place to work
Lake Operations Technician (Current Employee), Trona, CADecember 5, 2013
Great place to work, real family orientated. Job security is very high here. Management is really hands on. The most difficult part of the job is the shift work. The best part of the job is the benefits. Co-workers are generally real easy to get along with
hard work, yet appreciated the sense of responsibility
Process Operator (Current Employee), Trona, CAOctober 11, 2013
I oversaw a particular area of the plant where we produced soda ash. I would grab product samples for the lab, check over equipment to make sure it was running correctly. If something wasn't running properly I would call in the repair for maintenance to take care of and then I would lock it out accordingly. If it was a minor repair I would fix it myself. I kept track of enviromental equipment to make sure everything was with in parameters. I was very busy on a regular work day. Climbing several flights of stairs on each round to check my area. I lifted and used valve wrenches to open and close valves to control the flow of product from one area or pump to another. My work schedule was 4 days on 4 days off and the shifts were 12 hours long.
Good people
Plant Techician (Former Employee), Trona, CASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: decent pay check
Plants have been there for a long time with the same Management in place.
Decent employment in a remote area.
Senior Analytical Chemist (Former Employee), Trona, CASeptember 7, 2013
Pros: decent job in a remote area.
Cons: continually declining employee rewards.
The company continues to travel toward a destination that is secret. Little or no opportunities for advancement.
Great Atmosphere exciting place to work.
Leadman/Supervisor (Former Employee), Trona CaAugust 24, 2013
Pros: great management team
Cons: hot days in the field
Supervised a shift of 12 operators, 3 maintenance journeymen, an electrician and an instrument man. My responsibility was to operate a soda ash plant that produced 1500 tons per 12 hour shift. I was responsible for troubleshooting the process, meeting quality specifications, assigning tasks, cleaning process equipment that tripped and returning it to service, and preparing and locking out failed equipment for repair. I also assisted in safety awareness and monitoring for environment compliance. I have over 3 years’ experience in Foxboro control room operations and SPC interpretation. Experienced with working with, centrifugal pumps, compressors, bag houses, conveyor belts and screws, dryers, steam systems, flue bed dryers, wet scrubber’s, strippers, Co2 Mea processes and Electrostatic precipitator systems
My days at work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Trona, CAJuly 31, 2013
Pros: good working hours, great co-workers, healthcare, 401k
Cons: short lunch break, tedious and repetitive work
My typical day at work involves compiling reports. I try to get this all done in the morning when I first get to work. The rest of the day, I work on getting invoices out to be approved for payment, making any copies for co-workers that they need, and any other projects that I have going on. The work varies from day to day, most of the time being the same thing, which can make for a very long day.
My co-workers are very helpful if I need help with anything. They are a great group to work with.
Some of my reports that I have to do, I don't typically understand, which makes them a little difficult to do sometimes. I usually ask my co-workers what things are so I get a better understanding of the information that my reports consume.
I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with little supervision. I am able to get things done on my own in a timely manner. But, if I needing help, there is always someone around.
A good place to work, managment needs much improvement
Plant Operator-HAZMAT (Current Employee), Trona, CAMay 13, 2013
Pros: good pay, good people, free meal when you work unscheduled time.
Cons: benfits are very expensive, management doesn't do their job, future not clear.
Where I work is a good place to work for the most part. The pay is good, the benefits are so-so, and the retirement is pretty good. This company is good for people that have zero plant experience. They use NUS training program, this is a very good training program. I have learned a great deal from this program. The people I work with are great for the most part. Every place has a black sheep, this company is no different. There are a few people that excessively call off work. So, people like me get a whole lot of overtime, and no family time. I don't mind working overtime but, there is a point of enough is enough. Management doesn't do anything about it. This makes this job very frustrating. There are other things they don't do anything about. These things kind of make a toxic work environment. The hardest part of the job is I know there are a couple of people in positions that can take this company down and nobody will do anything about it. The most enjoyable part of the job is how well everybody gets along and works well together. I also enjoy being on the HAZMAT, Fire & Rescue teams. I love the team work, how everybody does not complain when there is a job to be done.
The company is good but the people that run have been there for years and need to be replaced.
Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Trona, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: long life plant
Cons: pay not comprable
I would recondmend this company tostart your career but not a life time company anymore.
Parts Coordinator (Current Employee), Trona, CAJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: great medical benefits!!!
Cons: very hot and dusty environment.
It's a chemical mining plant, so a typical day at work is going to get you dirty. I learned a great many things such as how do operate some heavy equipment, how to be especially safety minded, what to do for a hazardous waste spill, how to be self directed, and how to handle a crew. Co-workers come in all types and once you figure out which are which, it's quite easy to get along with most of them. The hardest part of my job is delivering parts without a mode of transportation. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all the different types of people.

Searles Valley Minerals Salaries