Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores Employee Reviews

Want to shoot myself
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 16, 2017
Working here is the crappiest job ive ever had. Management doesn't care about what happens to you and just wants the job done. Leads yell in your face and so many people love to be tattletales. If you're caught talking you'll get written up, staff doesn't care about anything and everyone working here are a bunch of a holes. You'll be working eight hour shifts if you're full time with low pay and people monitoring your every move. If you love to be hounded like a dog and ordered around this is the place for you
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Management sucks, work is hard
Long hours, short tempers, unrealistic work requirements
Service Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Speedway, INMarch 15, 2017
No more than 40 hours a week, no overtime, unrealistic expectations, very little of encouragement to meet unrealistic expectations ( beyond not getting lectured about work not finished), almost makes you feel like nothing ever gets done. Items get damaged on route to store, damaged unseen except by customers, more returned products than happy customers. Faulty and failing equipment, and very little work space.
Pros
Great sales, always happy to help, decent workers in all areas.
Cons
Too much work, very little pay, even less advancement in company, unless handpicked from outside company.
Nice place to work most times..
Manager (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAFebruary 2, 2017
My days start with opening the doors meeting and selling to some of the most loyal customers in our market place. The owner is very nice to work with and we have a very good managable staff. The hardest part is dealing with a rude unhappy customer that seems sometime to never have the correct ansewer for them. The most enjoyable is making suggestion to a customer and they actually take your advice and they are very satisfied at the end result.
Pros
Love sales
Cons
Unhappy customer with which you have no control to help
My thoughts on the Sears Job
Sears (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MIJanuary 22, 2017
A typical work day there now is very slow because its not the holidays anymore. I learned that when its at a fast paced that it be really packed in the store. The management team is very cool and nice and their very helpful. The hardest part about working there is when its a long line and I'm the only one that's at the register. The most enjoyable part about the job is that its actually very relaxing, and its fun to be around cool people and things.
Pros
Benefits, Free Lunch sometimes
Cons
Short Breaks, Rude Customers
Very challenging, every day is different. Signing is the hardest part.
Owner/Manager (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKJanuary 24, 2017
I had this job for twenty years. It was such a unique combination of selling, delivery, management, payroll and accounting, merchandising and customer service. Over the years I felt that the customers became nicer as they appreciated the overall customer service, which was the ultimate goal.
Pros
A good saleperson can make a lot of money.
Cons
You have to do everything to get the product ready to sell.
Challenging but doable.
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day involves processing merchandise and getting it out on the floor, as well as loading items into people's vehicles and general maintenance and paperwork duties.

Learned a great deal about shipping and supply chain management first hand.

People generally got along. My managers were always very approachable.

The hardest part of the job was having to do so much work in such a short amount of time. Product would also tend to arrive faster than you could get it out on the floor. Problems needing upper, non-store management tended to take a long time to resolve.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job was not having to deal with the pressure of sales, having tasks to do and seeing them done.
Pros
Always things to do.
Cons
Confusing and frustrating policies.
I enjoyed my time there
Sales Representative and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 9, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Sears in Walla Walla. The owner Scott is a great guy. They worked with me quite well in regard to desired hours, leaving if I needed to etc. There is a commission on sales but it was hard for me to make much off of it. But that was just me. Our top sellers made a good amount of compensation. You get to work with tools sometimes, operate tools, mowers and other equipment. You'll be given a variety of things to do so it doesn't get too boring.
Pros
Worked with good people.
Cons
Constantly having to learn new information about product. Hard to retain it all.
Settle but spring into action type of job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 9, 2017
While working at Sear I noticed through out the training it you don't get the full effect of the job,not until you are right behind a register trying to tackle a long line. Although the store lines could be intimidating at times there is someone always there to help you and assist if you need it . You quickly get the experience and qualifications for working in retail.
Average, but slipping
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hewitt, NJFebruary 18, 2017
The store is somewhat lacking in maintenance and the limited selection of items causes dissatisfaction among customers which translates to repeated complaints which must be fielded by the customer service employees. A degree of disorganization is also a contributing factor, but underemployment (limited hours for manager to work with) hardly allows for a complete addressing of the problems facing the story.
The technology is horribly outdated and is unreliable. It sometimes crashes and otherwise works rather slowly. The time inefficiency allows for lines to grow frequently when they could be avoided by utilizing faster computers.
Cons
Unacceptable water fountain, Dissatisfied customers, Inefficient technology, Physical state of building is suffering
poor company support
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 12, 2017
First two years of running the store was great. The last three not so great. Sears corp. could not figure out if they wanted to keep us or not. Inventory suffered commissions where lowered district managers help was in short supply. It was around not a good place to be.Im glad Im out lost my investment but life goes on! They did finally sell the Hometown division.
Pros
working and helping customers great products
Cons
poor support
Productive and fun place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Steamboat Springs, COJanuary 2, 2017
As most retail jobs this is a fast paced and competitive job environment. The best thing about this store is the management! They owners take very good care of their employees and are always available if you have a concern. We do have long days but you are promised three days off in a row for full time employees. The hardest part is dealing with customers. If you have the initiative to learn about what you sell and pick small tasks you can make a lot in commission, and the owners will promote you quickly! The co-workers are very friendly like a little work family.
Pros
Merchant passes
Cons
short breaks
Family Owned & Operated
Part Owner/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Gap, PADecember 12, 2016
When you are a small business owner, you have to suffer the consequences. I work 55 hours per week plus drive 2 hours round trip per day. My schedule is basically open to close 6 days per week, most of the time working alone. I have never had a vacation, weekend or evening off since 2013. The workload gets stressful. You don't make enough money in this business to pay bills at all. I don't ever want to go back to working for other people, but I have no choice.
Pros
Can watch youtube all day when not busy
Cons
70 hour weeks, no employees to help
Great Customer Experiences
Manager/Warehouse/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Virginia, MNNovember 15, 2016
Worked for this company for many years. The knowledge you acquire about consumer products is 2nd to none. Started off working in the warehouse unloading shipments. We received 2 to 3 shipments weekly. This includes customer and store product. Check through the product items to verify all product was shipped . Proceed to put product out on display and stock shelves. Through proper training you learn about product and get the proper knowledge needed to get into sales. Engaging with customers is the most rewarding part of the job. Learning what they're needs are and recommending the product that will benefit them the most. It's all about the customer.
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Working weekends
sales sales sales
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAJanuary 23, 2017
as a sales associate, we would advertise appliances and tools at our store. we stain and polished the appliances we put sale tickets out each day and leased big purchase such as lawnmowers and dryers
Pros
laid back, work at your own paste
Cons
putting up sale tickets, leasing forms, truck days, delivery days
Pay isnt great,and nether is benefits. Great people and fun enviroment though.
Consultive Sales (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2017
People are great I love them they treat ya like family, but the pay isnt great at all and benefits could be a little better. Fun enviroment to be in and security needs to be upped more. Alot of theives.
Pros
PEOPLE
Cons
SECURITY, PAY, BENEFITS
Relaxed work environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clair, MIFebruary 22, 2017
Typically showed up to unload the merchandise truck and take inventory and stock shelves. Then proceeded to help customers as a sales associate on the floor. Performed tasks such as running the register and helping customers find products.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Slow business
Hard work for little pay, and extreme micromanaging
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 19, 2016
a typical day involved unloading a full semi-truck with 50+ appliances all weighing over 300lbs all by yourself, not including having to price and move the appliances out on the floor ALL BY YOURSELF

learned how to load appliances on vehicles

management was awful, the store manager was extremely rude, they could not agree with what the responsibility of the day would cover, and they would always think you were doing something against what they said

co-workers were great to work with

most enjoyable part of the job were the breaks
Pros
store discounts
Cons
extreme micromanagement, no proper order, and working constantly by yourself, worst of all not getting paid warehouse pay for warehouse job
The relationship with your customers is fantastic.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILJanuary 4, 2017
I loved my customers, they would always come to visit me while I was working, or if I wasn't there they would only come back when I was there. Being the only one working in the store at some points was hard when there would be a rush or you had to use the restroom.
A very fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXMarch 13, 2017
I have very much enjoyed my time at Sears Hometown Stores and am ready to take the next step in my career. Sears has throughly enhanced my people skills and made me a better communicator in all forms
Pros
No stress very laid back atmosphere
Cons
I have nothing negative to say
Great work enviroment and learning process
Stor manager (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, AROctober 17, 2016
Typical day at work was coming opening the store finishing paper worked, and doing daily deposits.

This Job taught me to have alot of self motivated work because i had plenty idle time when we were slow on customers. It also taught me how we easily deal with angry customers and service them with my help quickly and efficiently while also completing my daily task.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry customers and bad attitudes but i always try to turn each situation into a good one and making the customer happy.

The most enjoyable part of my job was selling the customers good quality merchandise and knowing it will be placed in there home for daily use and knowing that they left my store satisfied.
Pros
good pay, great hours
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6