Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores Employee Reviews in United States

horrible
sales (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville/nashvilleJune 1, 2015
The managers will promise you things that they can't deliver just to get you to work there. The pay is horrible, and when you make a sale you have a 75 percent of chance that the item will be returned due to the item being defective. (which they do take commission) Management does not take a fair look at the overall benefit of the Team..favoritism is an issue even at the expense of your commission. This place is a joke. So much to say and not enough space to say it. It is a dead end job with very low pay and no benefits. If you want to work just to get by until a better job comes then go for it. They will hire any live body that walks in ..but be advised it's not the kind of job that will hold up you and your family.
Cashier Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 14, 2016
Working there was alright, but I wasn't able to understand how the company functions until shortly after I left. I was not satisfied with the treatment and lack of respect coming from several managers, nor was I pleased with how a lot of associates would take an extra 30 minutes to an hour lunch. Many times I was left by myself at the registers, which wasn't fully a problem, but since I was experiencing questionable pregnancy complications I have fallen behind with trying to maintain customer satisfaction at a fast and friendly pace.

However, there were plenty of motivators and kind spirited associates and I appreciate their advice and positive outlook. Because of their happiness and kindness I was motivated to continue my employment until I felt the need to work else where.
Pros
Customers, being on the register, some of the associates from various departments
Cons
Taking advantage of breaks, lack of cashiers, lack of communication, lack of punctual schedule updates
fast paced good hourly wage job
appliance delivery (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 9, 2015
its a good place to work for 11 an hour with guaranteed over time i was sometimes working as much as 60 plus hours a week its very heavy lifting and a lot of hard work and your exhausted by the end of the day but if you really want a lot of work for good hourly pay this isn't a bad industry.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
cold weather makes it hard
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJanuary 23, 2016
The store closed in August 2015 due to the economy. Great company, Great people to work for, and with. Great support team at corporate offices as well
Friendly work enviornment
Sales Representative, Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Carthage, TXSeptember 7, 2015
The average day was pretty busy with a lot of customers and deliveries. The management was decent when the owner wasn't micro managing everything. I got along fine with my co-workers fairly well. I like how many skills I learned, but it wasn't easy.
Pros
Pretty leaniant on breaks
Cons
Micro managment from owner
Great place to work depending on your job title.
Loss prevent mgr & footwear mgr (Former Employee) –  Aurora, IllinoisSeptember 6, 2013
Over all my experience was great with Sears but when I transferred to another location they did not want take my work experience into consideration and advancement was not made possible. Almost 5 yrs with the company and 4 1/2 in management to have a different store ruin my opinion of the company. It forced me to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
benefits, discounts and vacation time
Cons
management teams & lack of respect
I enjoyed myself
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, TXOctober 20, 2015
The people were nice, the job was fun, and the work was easy. The boss was my neighbor and is a great dude. I don't know much about the company because I was young at the time and was focused on my store only.
horrible working plave
Softlines Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTOctober 29, 2015
I had the worse experience in a retail company working for them they seem not have people skills at all they only care about numbers.
Pros
close to home
Going downhill and picking up speed
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  SoutheastSeptember 12, 2015
Keep in mind that as a District Sales Manager, you are the LOWEST level employee at Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores (SHO). Typical day: exactly how many conference calls do you want to have per day? They can start at 6am and you can have 5 or more per day ... sometimes even more. You're expected to be in stores daily (that's normal) coaching, teaching, COLLECTING FROM OWNERS. The relationship between store owners and DSM's has become highly adversarial. SHO's biggest problem is they've eliminated their greatest expenses (lease cost, employee cost, utilities cost) and put them on the backs of their store owners who have been duped into believing they're entrepreneurs. SHO, in the mean time, only has product cost and field management expenses. The Monthly Operating Review is the most stressful event you'll experience -- being asked to explain $4 postage expenses and why a store owner reduced the price on a washing machine by $5 (which you then have to collect from the owner). The P&L is the most convoluted thing you'll ever see - it comes from multiple websites, with multiple inputs from dozens of sources that can charge it without you knowing it yet YOU'RE still responsible. You would think the company would make more money without store expenses. They may end up with the FED Gov't telling them that store owners are actually employees. When that happens, you'll see the place fully crumble.
Pros
Work from home at times, a good Regional Sales Director can make it a little better
Cons
Too many to list. Wish I could go back in time and prevent myself from taking this job.
Good Company WITH Potential to grow.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 26, 2015
Customer service is # 1 when at work I would drop whatever I was doing to help customer, peolple I worked with are cheerfull most of the time, when I had time I would teach about plumbing.Best part of job I was trusted enough to be on my own.
Pros
PAY
Cons
NO CONS
Great work enviroment and fun work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAAugust 27, 2015
Not much room to advance but great company and employees. Very personal and laid back sales enviromment. No need to pressure the customer like the corporate stores
Terrible.
Sales representative. (Former Employee) –  Willoughby, OhioApril 8, 2014
I would not work here. They will not allow you to work full time and after paid training is done you get $4.50 an hour and five percent commission on the master protection agreements (which are not easy to sell). You get one percent commission for the sale you make. They will tell you to keep hounding the customer to buy the agreement and most customers do not appreciate that. I was fired after a month for not meeting the sales quota (even though my manager told me that if you don't meet the set goals for three months straight you'll be fired). My co-worker quit a few days after I was fired because of how underpaid she was (and she worked there months before I got there). I advise you to find a different job to apply to.
Pros
paid training.
Cons
commission.
Small store/staff with lots of customer interaction.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  North Aurora, IllinoisAugust 14, 2014
Typical day includes open/closing store, counting registers, banking, and educating customers on appliance to best advocate a product.
Love the Employees but not the Employer
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 20, 2013
Loved the people i worked for and with but the company was restructuring too many things