Sears Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,410 reviews matching the search
Work was great and Manager was AMAZING
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 28, 2016
I really liked working on digital projects. No one project was ever the same. I worked with a lot of fun and creative people.
Hardest part of the job were the timelines. Everyone has a project from the CEO and it needed to be done yesterday.
I loved my boss. He was everything you can ask for in a manager. He taught me so many lessons about being a leader, how to resolve issues, how not to take things to heart in the business and looked out for his team, and only wanted the best for us.
The work/life balance was great. You could work from home if needed.
Pros
Had a great manager, interesting projects, and a nice work/life balance.
Cons
Timelines are strict and raises are far and few between.
Stay Away
Customer Service/Merchandise Pick-up (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 14, 2016
Sears has earned its recent reputation as a bad place to work and for good reason. Opportunities to advance are few and far between. Also, in the 2.5 years I worked there, we were never given a raise. Their justification for this is that there are ways to increase your income by either more sales, web-to-store sales, etc... Only problem is that certain jobs have limited customer interaction, and you are under a timer to get things done quickly. That makes it really hard to do those things to increase your take home pay. We also went through store management quickly, mainly because the district management above them worked them hard and they burned out.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Pay, no benefits for part-time employees
Veterans run away
Asset Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 27, 2016
This company is hanging on by a thread. They preach that they hire veterans and support the cause, but when it comes right down to it they don't. I worked for them full time for almost 2 years and was called into the management's office and let go without notice. Their excuse was that my job was not longer needed at the store.

The same day they posted 6 job openings for employment in the store. I was offered none of them and was told that I could get a weeks severance pay if I signed a waiver form stating that I would not sue them for anything.

Sears is more worried about how to get you to apply for credit cards at 20+% interest than keeping good qualified employees.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
30 minutes lunch off the clock, no raises
Challenging
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 11, 2016
The company is consistently coming up with new "ideas" to better the business. Problem is, none of the managers, store level and up, do not communicate. So you have several different managers telling you to do something different. The associates in the building are very fun to work with. The customers that do come to Sears are very loyal. Sears has A LOT to teach, however, the entire business strategy is devised from reports instead of actual business practice and observation. From my experience, their is very little room for advancement, and if their is, it's very hard to achieve. Raises are almost non existent. We have associates that have worked for the company for over 15 years and never received a raise. Sears is what I like to call a 'filler' job. Something to take up the time in between careers. Not what I would call a permanent position or any kind of career.
Pros
GREAT dental and vision.
Cons
Poor management communication, Unclear overall business direction, Beyond what you would call 'frequent' changes
Great pay for the job
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 21, 2016
The job is very easy w/ decent pay. It can be mundane and repetitive, You can learn a great deal about Major retail products, parts, and customers service. The hardest part is dealing with irate customers several times a day as part of the position.The work environment is relaxed, everyone knows everyone therefor it's friendly, and so are most of the managers. The most enjoyable part is solving problems, helping customers and getting positive feed back.
Pros
set hours, but flexible, decent benefits and very secure job.
Cons
No incentive pay or raises unless you move up into management, but managers are worked hard and burdened without compensation for extra duties
Great job, but the Sears corporation doesn't care abou employees
Auto Center Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23462April 4, 2016
I loved this job there was excellent room for advancement, the benefits and pay is great. The only problem with sears is the main corporation doesn't care about there employees. They did what they called an employee reduction where they laid off 35,000 employees. They gave us little to no warning because we was told 1 week prior to being laid off which gave us no opportunity to seek employment prior to being laid off.
Pros
Great pay, Benefits, Management, Work Environment.
Cons
Bad executive level management
You never know who you are going to meet...
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 3, 2016
On a typical day I would drive around to customers house's and fix their appliances. I learned more about electrical troubleshooting. Management was nice and most of the co-workers had been with the company for many years. The weather was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting exposed to many different cultures.
Pros
You don't have to commute in your own car.
Cons
Hard to get pay raises.
Laid back, terrible pay, lack of mangement
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 2, 2016
Ok place to work if you're just looking for extra cash. No room for advancement. Pay is minimum wage and from what I've been told and after being there for almost a year there are NO raises. People just do whatever they want and there really is no discipline. Basically the people that actually do their job don't get the recognition they deserve. Most of the people are easy to get along with but the management could be a little more strict.
Pros
Sociable, offer benefits to part time and full time, employee discount
Cons
pay, management
My overall summary of Sears is productive and beneficial.
Senior Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at Sears is eventful, challenging and fun.
I have learned patience while working at Sears.
The management staff at Sears are very supportive, and informative.
I enjoy my co-workers,because we support each in every aspect.
I do not have any hard parts of my job.
The most enjoyable part of my job is finding resolutions for our members.
Pros
The opportunity to work in a control climate atmosphere.
Cons
No raises, short lunches
Keep on looking
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 18, 2016
If you are desperate for a job, go to Sears, because they are likely short handed due to yet ANOTHER person quitting/walking out on them. By far the most stressful job I've ever had. Terrible pay, and I hope you are great at putting people in debt by begging them to sign up for all the credit cards they have to offer. Hope you like getting yelled at for asking one too many times (or else your manager will be furious). It's just unrealistic goals they set, why be a part of a team that's going underwater and no one seems to care abut you? I'd take an extra week to find a different job. I'd honestly work fast food over there ever again.
Pros
Discount, I made nice friends and one of the locations
Cons
Rarely get your 15 minute break, short lunches, basically NO training, worst managers I've ever encountered, rarely room to advance unless they are desperate, no raises, impossible credit goals, unreal stress, always short staffed

Want to know more about Sears?

Ask a question
do not work for Sears
operations manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 8, 2015
Its not the company I grew up with or your parents grew up with. Lets start out by telling you they don't care about their employees as if the pay of minimum wage without ever available for a raise doesn't rise alarms(for cashiers,office jobs,backroom) maybe you want to try commission sales at 1 percent because that's where the real money is right lol... Try a half a percent during the holidays! You sale thirty thousand dollars for a company that wants to give you a hundred and fifty dollars how can you make more than minimum wage that way either? Now here is where I have to draw the line from a management prospective high turnover rate is expected in retail but when you have a high turn overrate in management there is a company problem. If i could honestly gives this company zero stars I would..
Pros
experience of how to run down a business
Cons
little pay, unfathomable expectations, no incentive, micro manged, no chance for advancement unless you are on "the good ole boy" system
Former Lead demoted to Merchandiser because they took the position away because they are doing so poorly as a business.
Merchandiser former (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GAMarch 18, 2016
By far currently became one of the worst employers ever especially sense they took the raises away. Everybody is either quitting or getting laid off. No hours. Very disrespectful and don'the care about their employees or their customers, just care about making a buck and paying extremely little. I was there 7 and a half years and was only making $8.45 and was probably doing more than anyone in the store and even had awards recognitions and busted shoplifters, and ran mostly all departments. Work somewhere else. You'll thank me later.
Don't
Back Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 31, 2016
- I worked for Sears for two years and I believe they disrespected me in the end.
-Managers are horrible will throw employees to the wolves.
-Don't even think about getting a raise.
-Pretend that you got a raise but find out that the job title for the whole company got raised.
-Apply for a higher position but don't even give you the respect of an interview.
- When you apply for a different job they cut you off the schedule completely because they believe you will try to crawl back to them.
-the only thing I can say about this job is that it was a decent starter job but nothing more, working there made me want to go back to schooling.
Pros
A lot of hours during the holiday
Cons
Not worth it.
Continual work under high pressure brought on by poor corporate management. No advancment or pay increases.
Customer Service, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 9, 2016
I have worked for this company on two separate occasions and was paid more for the first four years than when they asked me to come back to work. We had moved to Maryland because of my wife's job.

I am 74 years old and am only asked to be there two days a week to unload, by hand, a semi-trailer.

The co-workers are mixed, some will work hard, others will make it hard on the rest because they are not doing their share.

There is very little, if any, backing from management. They are under extreme pressure for their jobs and it trickles down. Most store full time employees, of which very few remain after many have been let go, go into a panic mode if they find out there is going to be a "corporate" visitor.
Pros
We have cake once a month.
Cons
Low pay, no "thank you's" for good work. No slack.
Liked working with the customers
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day would have started with picking up you work orders for the day. Checking to make sure you had the parts needed to complete the work orders. Calling customers to arrange a time to do the work. Complete the work order and give a copy to the customer. Sometimes collecting payment for the work that was done and turn that into the accounting office along with the accompanying work order.
Management was helpful and always responded to employee and customer needs
The hardest part of the job was working on emergency call. You were by yourself and I had 11 counties in Missouri and 6 in Illinois that I covered.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers happy when the job was complete.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday.
Cons
A lot of driving and long hours
Overall review
Purchasing & Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for sears and the customers we served. A typical day consisted of reviewing the work loads and ensuring items were in house for the jobs on the schedule for the coming days. In addition fleet maintenance had to be up to date and vehicles had to be in great condition to meet the needs of the customers we served. Management was great and enjoyable to work with. All of my co workers were great and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistency of the sales team. Trying to find source items on short notice. The most enjoyable part was reviewing some of the quality work the staff was able to do while making quality assurance rounds.
Pros
Work Schedule
Poor uncoordinated work environment
merchandise customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11234March 7, 2016
A typical day of work here includes little to no direction from management unorganized tasks and poor communication between co-workers. During my time here I have learned the best way to help achieve conflict resolution between individuals. The management wasn't trained effectively and as a result demonstrated poor leadership responsibilities to their workers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with a very chaotic work space while still trying to maintain production. The most enjoyable part of this job was the amount of flexibility they offered you.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Poor compensation and High demand of work and uneffective management methods
Fun place to work, always something new, awesome group of people
Executive Administrative Assistant to CPO (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed working for Sears and loved my job. I always enjoyed going in to work. I supported a professional and respectful leadership/team. It was a friendly atmosphere, a fast-paced environment, and we all worked as a team. I saw my team as a family, who all got along and worked great together. The hardest thing was to see co-workers leave the company for a better opportunity and better benefits.I've learned not to take anything personal and change is good. Sears/Kmart use to be the greatest and sales are down and it just breaks my heart.
Pros
Sears Culture, diversity
Cons
healthcare, no 401K match
Company on the verge of self destruction
DC Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hato Rey, PRFebruary 21, 2016
The company talks a lot about their "culture" and how employees are their #1 assets...and its not true. The higher management are the kind of people who think 9 women can have 1 child in 1 month. They don't care about employees personal situations and they day you say you cant help they make the rest of your month a living nightmare. I was a Supervisor and saw the way Managers treated employees like they were nothing. They offer some productions bonuses and harass you to complete them and after you do they add new requirements and say they wont pay it. The managers think themselves as mentors yet they only help people they like regardless of potential or performance. The HR department is a joke because they don't care about anything.
Pros
Few if any
Cons
Bad pay, horrible hours, no consideration for employees personal life, bad management, no growth opportunities unless you have connections.
most of my time there was rewarding and challanging
sales manager (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDNovember 18, 2015
during the early years, it was a good place to work. Pay was not always the best, but some of the funded benefits made up for it.
Smart work brought rewards, unfortunately politics often brought greater rewards
during the late years, the company lost some of it's integrity.
One commonly used phase of the last store manager was " if anyone says that I said that, I will deny it" Another was " I am the store manager, I will do what I want and I really don't care about company policies"
Pros
early years a good place to work.
Cons
later years, inconsistancy of management practices made it uncomfortable to work there.