Sears Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,713 reviews matching the search
Stay Away
Customer Service/Merchandise Pick-up (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 14, 2016
Sears has earned its recent reputation as a bad place to work and for good reason. Opportunities to advance are few and far between. Also, in the 2.5 years I worked there, we were never given a raise. Their justification for this is that there are ways to increase your income by either more sales, web-to-store sales, etc... Only problem is that certain jobs have limited customer interaction, and you are under a timer to get things done quickly. That makes it really hard to do those things to increase your take home pay. We also went through store management quickly, mainly because the district management above them worked them hard and they burned out.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Pay, no benefits for part-time employees
Keep on looking
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 18, 2016
If you are desperate for a job, go to Sears, because they are likely short handed due to yet ANOTHER person quitting/walking out on them. By far the most stressful job I've ever had. Terrible pay, and I hope you are great at putting people in debt by begging them to sign up for all the credit cards they have to offer. Hope you like getting yelled at for asking one too many times (or else your manager will be furious). It's just unrealistic goals they set, why be a part of a team that's going underwater and no one seems to care abut you? I'd take an extra week to find a different job. I'd honestly work fast food over there ever again.
Pros
Discount, I made nice friends and one of the locations
Cons
Rarely get your 15 minute break, short lunches, basically NO training, worst managers I've ever encountered, rarely room to advance unless they are desperate, no raises, impossible credit goals, unreal stress, always short staffed
Veterans run away
Asset Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 27, 2016
This company is hanging on by a thread. They preach that they hire veterans and support the cause, but when it comes right down to it they don't. I worked for them full time for almost 2 years and was called into the management's office and let go without notice. Their excuse was that my job was not longer needed at the store.

The same day they posted 6 job openings for employment in the store. I was offered none of them and was told that I could get a weeks severance pay if I signed a waiver form stating that I would not sue them for anything.

Sears is more worried about how to get you to apply for credit cards at 20+% interest than keeping good qualified employees.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
30 minutes lunch off the clock, no raises
Challenging
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 11, 2016
The company is consistently coming up with new "ideas" to better the business. Problem is, none of the managers, store level and up, do not communicate. So you have several different managers telling you to do something different. The associates in the building are very fun to work with. The customers that do come to Sears are very loyal. Sears has A LOT to teach, however, the entire business strategy is devised from reports instead of actual business practice and observation. From my experience, their is very little room for advancement, and if their is, it's very hard to achieve. Raises are almost non existent. We have associates that have worked for the company for over 15 years and never received a raise. Sears is what I like to call a 'filler' job. Something to take up the time in between careers. Not what I would call a permanent position or any kind of career.
Pros
GREAT dental and vision.
Cons
Poor management communication, Unclear overall business direction, Beyond what you would call 'frequent' changes
Don't
Back Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 31, 2016
- I worked for Sears for two years and I believe they disrespected me in the end.
-Managers are horrible will throw employees to the wolves.
-Don't even think about getting a raise.
-Pretend that you got a raise but find out that the job title for the whole company got raised.
-Apply for a higher position but don't even give you the respect of an interview.
- When you apply for a different job they cut you off the schedule completely because they believe you will try to crawl back to them.
-the only thing I can say about this job is that it was a decent starter job but nothing more, working there made me want to go back to schooling.
Pros
A lot of hours during the holiday
Cons
Not worth it.
Great job, but the Sears corporation doesn't care abou employees
Auto Center Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23462April 4, 2016
I loved this job there was excellent room for advancement, the benefits and pay is great. The only problem with sears is the main corporation doesn't care about there employees. They did what they called an employee reduction where they laid off 35,000 employees. They gave us little to no warning because we was told 1 week prior to being laid off which gave us no opportunity to seek employment prior to being laid off.
Pros
Great pay, Benefits, Management, Work Environment.
Cons
Bad executive level management
Former Lead demoted to Merchandiser because they took the position away because they are doing so poorly as a business.
Merchandiser former (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GAMarch 18, 2016
By far currently became one of the worst employers ever especially sense they took the raises away. Everybody is either quitting or getting laid off. No hours. Very disrespectful and don'the care about their employees or their customers, just care about making a buck and paying extremely little. I was there 7 and a half years and was only making $8.45 and was probably doing more than anyone in the store and even had awards recognitions and busted shoplifters, and ran mostly all departments. Work somewhere else. You'll thank me later.
Great pay for the job
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 21, 2016
The job is very easy w/ decent pay. It can be mundane and repetitive, You can learn a great deal about Major retail products, parts, and customers service. The hardest part is dealing with irate customers several times a day as part of the position.The work environment is relaxed, everyone knows everyone therefor it's friendly, and so are most of the managers. The most enjoyable part is solving problems, helping customers and getting positive feed back.
Pros
set hours, but flexible, decent benefits and very secure job.
Cons
No incentive pay or raises unless you move up into management, but managers are worked hard and burdened without compensation for extra duties
Poor uncoordinated work environment
merchandise customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11234March 7, 2016
A typical day of work here includes little to no direction from management unorganized tasks and poor communication between co-workers. During my time here I have learned the best way to help achieve conflict resolution between individuals. The management wasn't trained effectively and as a result demonstrated poor leadership responsibilities to their workers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with a very chaotic work space while still trying to maintain production. The most enjoyable part of this job was the amount of flexibility they offered you.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Poor compensation and High demand of work and uneffective management methods
Work was great and Manager was AMAZING
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 28, 2016
I really liked working on digital projects. No one project was ever the same. I worked with a lot of fun and creative people.
Hardest part of the job were the timelines. Everyone has a project from the CEO and it needed to be done yesterday.
I loved my boss. He was everything you can ask for in a manager. He taught me so many lessons about being a leader, how to resolve issues, how not to take things to heart in the business and looked out for his team, and only wanted the best for us.
The work/life balance was great. You could work from home if needed.
Pros
Had a great manager, interesting projects, and a nice work/life balance.
Cons
Timelines are strict and raises are far and few between.
Fun place to work, always something new, awesome group of people
Executive Administrative Assistant to CPO (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed working for Sears and loved my job. I always enjoyed going in to work. I supported a professional and respectful leadership/team. It was a friendly atmosphere, a fast-paced environment, and we all worked as a team. I saw my team as a family, who all got along and worked great together. The hardest thing was to see co-workers leave the company for a better opportunity and better benefits.I've learned not to take anything personal and change is good. Sears/Kmart use to be the greatest and sales are down and it just breaks my heart.
Pros
Sears Culture, diversity
Cons
healthcare, no 401K match
Laid back, terrible pay, lack of mangement
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 2, 2016
Ok place to work if you're just looking for extra cash. No room for advancement. Pay is minimum wage and from what I've been told and after being there for almost a year there are NO raises. People just do whatever they want and there really is no discipline. Basically the people that actually do their job don't get the recognition they deserve. Most of the people are easy to get along with but the management could be a little more strict.
Pros
Sociable, offer benefits to part time and full time, employee discount
Cons
pay, management
My overall summary of Sears is productive and beneficial.
Senior Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at Sears is eventful, challenging and fun.
I have learned patience while working at Sears.
The management staff at Sears are very supportive, and informative.
I enjoy my co-workers,because we support each in every aspect.
I do not have any hard parts of my job.
The most enjoyable part of my job is finding resolutions for our members.
Pros
The opportunity to work in a control climate atmosphere.
Cons
No raises, short lunches
Great place for a high school job
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXMarch 9, 2016
Meeting new people daily is very fun, and even better when you have return customers that you have built connections with.

I learned how to deal with certain problematic customers, and how to deal with them in a polite way. Aslo learned to handle money, and how sales work.

My coworkers are great, and there is never a dull moment with them, makes working fun, and i wouldn't have stayed this long with sears if it weren't for them. Makes working there enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job, is having to deal with the new managers, that come up with new rules daily that contradict sears polices. New management prefers to avoid their jobs and make the employees do it for them (in regards to customer service). New management dose not know how to do many of the tasks that the old management knew how to do before. (search purchase history, make store supply orders, change prices, dealing with customers).

Most enjoyable part of working with Sears is the coworkers that are great, and meeting new people, and helping them with their problems.
Pros
Its fun sometimes, works with scheduling
Cons
no benefits, poor pay, recent pay cut
You never know who you are going to meet...
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 3, 2016
On a typical day I would drive around to customers house's and fix their appliances. I learned more about electrical troubleshooting. Management was nice and most of the co-workers had been with the company for many years. The weather was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting exposed to many different cultures.
Pros
You don't have to commute in your own car.
Cons
Hard to get pay raises.
Very demanding, not good pay, no support in the field
Retail Manager - this was a franchise store (Former Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNJanuary 26, 2016
I was promised many things when I started working for Sears. I was promised reasonable hours and good pay. My pay raise was not processed after 90 days or 180 days, let me clarify that I worked for a franchise store not the corporation. My personal employers were never present. When I was expected to complete a project I was not given the tools that I needed to complete the task at hand. I would not work for a franchise again, but would consider working for the corporation.
Pros
I enjoyed working with customers and I enjoy retail.
Cons
No benefits, low pay, demanding hours
Fast Paced and very demanding
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32226March 13, 2016
For a company this big you would think the benefits would be better but that's not the case. They do offer insurance but pay a very very small amount. Also, If you work out in the warehouse you better be able to work fast because you are all ways timed and if you fall below the standard you will be wrote up till you are let go. They say that has only happened a few times but there are so many other ways they can get you. If you are a fast pace person that doesn't not mind taking chances you will be OK.
Would never work there again.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLMarch 9, 2016
I can honestly see why so many Kmarts are closing or maybe this one just gave me a bad experience. Everything is old and out dated. Don't expect any benefits or a good amount of hours because you won't receive either. Even your employee discount only takes a couple cents off whatever you buy. Literally everyone who works at that store is part time because they don't want to give anybody any benefits. The store manager is rude and doesn't help at all. Wouldn't recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
No growth
do not work for Sears
operations manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 8, 2015
Its not the company I grew up with or your parents grew up with. Lets start out by telling you they don't care about their employees as if the pay of minimum wage without ever available for a raise doesn't rise alarms(for cashiers,office jobs,backroom) maybe you want to try commission sales at 1 percent because that's where the real money is right lol... Try a half a percent during the holidays! You sale thirty thousand dollars for a company that wants to give you a hundred and fifty dollars how can you make more than minimum wage that way either? Now here is where I have to draw the line from a management prospective high turnover rate is expected in retail but when you have a high turn overrate in management there is a company problem. If i could honestly gives this company zero stars I would..
Pros
experience of how to run down a business
Cons
little pay, unfathomable expectations, no incentive, micro manged, no chance for advancement unless you are on "the good ole boy" system
Flexible but not very compensating
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAMarch 30, 2016
As a company sears holdings is stores are usually very flexible with your schedule however hours fluctuate way too much. There is not much room for growth in the company, and pay is not very competitive.
Pros
flexible schedule, laid back company
Cons
poor pay, no room for growth or raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9