Sears
10,139 reviews

Sears Employee Reviews

always working with new people
supervisor (Former Employee), Portland OregonJune 28, 2015
go to work accross from disneyland so I met people from all over the work.****************************************************************************
Too many hours...
Cashier (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 28, 2015
Pros: Tucson Mall
Cons: Short breaks, too many hours, not good for students.
Asked for 20 hours a week and I ended up working 36 hours a week with 1 day off while I was still in school. Not ideal for students.
Not much advancement
Merchandise and Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Westminster, COJune 28, 2015
Pros: Physical Activity
Cons: No benefits
No support from team members or management. Equipment didn't work. The phones didn't work. You weren't required to think. You never had assistance in your section.
Fun environment
Cashier at KMART (Former Employee), Tifton, GAJune 28, 2015
Pros: Requesting days off are simple, you'll get pretty much everyday you request off if it's put in two weeks ahead.
Cons: Minimum wage, NO RAISES, breaks are only 15 minutes, commission sucks.
It was a really good job, except for some rude customers making it harder (but that's everywhere you go). Managers are always hassling you about selling smart plans (replacement plans) & keeping a green arrow (SHOP YOUR WAY PERCENTAGE) which is very ANNOYING. You will NOT make more than minimum wage ($7.25). I've met plenty woman who've worked there 3+ years & are still making minimum wage. Its pretty slow so you don't have much to do. You only earn a quarter or two for every smart plan to sell which sucks! Not everyone wants a smart plan & they're offered on the dumbest items such as: purses, plastic toys, etc. You're required to perform tasks you weren't hired to do (which is pretty much everywhere you go) Otherwise that it was an ok experience.
Not a good work experience
MCA (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJune 28, 2015
Pros: Working hard at my obligations, and helping out clients when they needed it.
Cons: Having to deal with Co-workers that seemed to opperate, against store policy, with impunity.
Not a good place to work if you like structure, a positive work environment, and management that is hands on an motivating. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with uncaring employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers.
it was a fun work place
mca (Former Employee), henderson nvJune 27, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay
Its great the managers treat you good. the pay is minimum wage but the enviorment was good and well worth it the hardest part was the dressing rooms sometimes, I learned people skills I always had good days and I loved everyone there.
Nice bonuses
Parts Sales (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJune 27, 2015
Go in start taking call make sure you offer your extras to make extra money go on lunch do it again till time to go home then come back again the next day
fun environment
Technical Support Clerk (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 27, 2015
Pros: fun co workersandsupervisors
Cons: part time
The staff makes this an alright place to work. Some supervisors are very down to earth and easy to talk with. he turnover n employment was low.
This company was one of the best for me. It was challanging and room for advancement. They gave their employees the opportunity to travel .
Facility Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJune 27, 2015
Pros: Annual cookout for their employees, raises good benefits
Cons: Genco was housed in an old facility, extremly cold in winter hot in the summer. Not a good location for a business
An easy atmosphere to work in. Everyone worked together in a team capacity. Management was very positive and encouraging. People actually wanted to come to work. New equipment was a plus to get the job done and they supplied it. Benefits were good, just a good place to be employed.
When we had game days.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Monroe, LAJune 27, 2015
When I was the person to come around and pass everyone there award because they meet the store meets. They were so happy because I made out company more memorable.
Great place to start working in sales
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJune 27, 2015
Pros: Meeting People
Cons: Selling Credit Cards
Everyday a employee meeting was held informing employees of daily numbers. I met alot of different people from many different backgrounds. Managers are always out on the floor assisting members with their puchases. Being able to have someone leave your register with a smile made my days enjoyable.
Sears
Pricing/Merchandising/Visual Supervisor (Current Employee), Niles, ILJune 26, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: management
Good place to learn but unideal for someone to grow fast however good opportunities to earn commission. but managers are rarely on the sales floor
Good place to learn customer service, but treat as a stepping stone.
Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics (Current Employee), Ocala, FLJune 26, 2015
Pros: Good starting point to learn sales and customer service, generally informative training program, generally good crew as long as you're hourly, employee discounts for life.
Cons: Faulty technology, short breaks, sometimes unable to take a break, poor management availability, poor scheduling and hours, commissions shark tank, and general lack of empathy.
I was turned onto the job by a friend of mine to help me escape from my previous bad work situation because he had almost nothing but positive things to say about the job. The week after I started working there however things went on the downhill slope very quickly when the ASM for the department I worked in lost his job wrongfully for reasons I can't disclose.

For starters, Sears does have an actually halfway decent training program to them, for the first few weeks or so I was in front of a computer being barraged by tons of information and while not a whole lot of it stuck and some of the information was outdated it definitely did help starting off. You learn more out on the sales floor than in the training room but for what it's worth it was helpful.

Also, for what negativity that might come out of this review I am at least thankful for having this as a starting point because if weren't for here I wouldn't have a lick of experience with customer service and now I'm not as deathly afraid of it as I was when I first came across the idea. The mostly pleasant and friendly to work with crew certainly helped with that. I really don't have any complaints about my coworkers on a crew level.

That being said this job is super flawed. For starters, breaks are a required thing in the computer system, which while it sounds good in theory (and it is generally speaking) if you have any days like today for example where you're running a whole department by yourself and cant actually take a break if you have a shift longer than five hours, you'll get reprimanded for not taking – more... a break. So on days like today where I was stuck helping members the entire shift, I now have to deal with someone yelling at me for not taking a break because I couldn't step away and do anything which is really not fair. The break's not long enough either, at 30 minutes. Unless you prepare lunch ahead of time (and I understand some people can't) that's going to be an issue more often than not, and if you aren't back they will start looking for you or reprimand you.

This job requires you to, at least in consultative sales, use an iPod Touch or iPad to do transactions with. The technology isn't a bad concept, when the devices are working property they help out a lot with information and ringing things up in some situations. The problem is, the devices don't often like to work, whether or not it's bad battery life, the card SLEDs and scanners don't work, or heaven forbid the internet speed is slower than dial up. I like the concept but the devices are half reliable at best so you'll have to ring a lot of transactions up on the registers. The problem is, they track how much you use the devices and if you're not using it at least 50% of the time like they'd want you do, you're going to get reprimanded for it. It's frustrating, but not a deal breaker.

I'm not going to get too heavily into detail about it, but you are required to push extended warranties and things like that. It's alright when you get members that are willing to buy. However, I personally am deathly afraid of selling the bigger TVs themselves because the warranties on the TVs are expensive and hard to sell, and they are going to absolutely destroy your metrics on a bad day, which means getting yelled at, and possibly hour cuts. Both TVs that I've sold the last four months that were over $1000 both didn't want to get the warranty on it no matter what tactic I tried, and I try to do my job correctly. Sold three TVs today without a warranty. I'm afraid to go into work tomorrow morning.

The hours here are absolutely atrocious and that's probably the biggest issue of the whole job. Unless you are management or some type of elite maverick of your department, you won't get full time hours. Period. When the full time position was vacated in my department, they opted to hire two new part timers to avoid giving benefits. That's bad business! I left my last job to avoid jobs like that. And, because of the rampant part timers and often lack of hours and sales floor coverage, there's very often days like today where I'm working the entire department (TVs, vacuums, cell phones) entirely by myself and I have members leave in frustration because I'm not helping them, and "that's why we're going out of business." Also, expect to work a lot of closing shifts (9:00 PM) and opening shifts (9:30 AM roughly) frequently. I have to at least once a week. Sometimes they'll throw in a random overnight in there too or overnight split shift, without asking you, and without reasonable accommodation. I had a shift two weeks ago where I had to work 6-11 PM and then work 6-11 AM. I live 40 minutes from work. My manager's response was "Grow up and deal with it, x and y have to do this twice this week and z has to do this the entire week." I'm sorry, there's way better ways you could have handled my situation like calling and asking or two shifts in the same time slot, or the 9-8. Anything that can save me gas money and let me get a good night's sleep.

And that links me to my last point, management. Oh how the management has declined so rapidly, so fast. Since I started there, one ASM was wrongfully fired, two have left, had a store manager replacement, the managers that were hired are either super stressed and lacking or not empathetic or understanding in the slightest. Plus if your ASM has the day off and you have an issue, good luck with that. If you need a manager's approval or need cash for your register, good luck with that. There's been times where I've waited over a half hour for a simple card swipe or as many as two hours for change for drawers.

My recommendation (TL:DR): If you have no sales experience at all whatsoever and want to work here for a little while just to get your toes wet so you can move on to bigger better things, go for it. Don't stay here longer than 3-6 months though unless the store you apply at is really, really good. They are out there, this one was before I started working here from what I heard. But if you've had experience anywhere else, please just keep it there; anywhere else. – less
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Pierce, FLJune 26, 2015
Pros: Discounts and nice atmosphere.
Cons: Short breaks and always busy working.
Operate cash register, stock merchandise on floor, assist customers as needed and doing inventor whenever asked to so by the supervisor.
Terrible Company
Service Writer/Technician (Former Employee), Hyannis, MAJune 26, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
The company is terrible and treats their so called "valued employees" like absolute garbage. Not once when i did something good was i ever told good job or i'm proud of you, no instead they just decided to belittle me for every little teeny mistake i ever made to the point of absolutely regretting ever working for company.
Good entry sales positions
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lithonia, GAJune 26, 2015
The pay is what you make it and there is potential for growth. The main problem is the retail schedule which is not the best.
First Job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Merrillville, INJune 26, 2015
Pros: First job
Cons: First job
My experience was not memorable. it being my first job, and seasonal their was not much that I learned from it. I mainly was a cashier, and being a minor was not able to do much.
workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Homewood, ALJune 26, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short lunch breaks
start your task
customer service is key
management ok
co workers are get along with
staying awake
having fun while doing your job
Great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYJune 26, 2015
Pros: Nice atmosphere to work in.
Cons: Breaks are hard to take.
You will never get bored, there are a lot of work procedures such as making sure the clothes are in order on the rack. Making sure the customers are happy and can find with what they need. Making sure your area is neat and clean.
It an ok place your going to need a extra source of income
Apparel Associate (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ArkansasJune 26, 2015
Pros: make friends
Cons: wages, cutting hours, a lot of people quitting
It's a disorganized place some of the assistant managers don't help with difficult customers its an awful place to me. They are not convenient for the customers that are in need or the employees. We have a lot of complaints from most customers I advise anyone that's looking for a part time job to not apply here because most people that work here do not last long because of the compensation, hours, or the personnel.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more

Sears Salaries