Sears Employee Reviews

What people are saying about Sears

• Handle returns
  • Stressful metrics
  • Seasonal
  • See more...
Found 10,370 reviews matching the search
good place to work, short staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2016
File night before paperwork, check for appointments, review the days sales goals and plan the day out. The employees were very knowledgeable,
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
not enough help and a lot of hours and days in a row
we put out shoe from the back room
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA 92626February 9, 2016
its fun, the people are great. Just cut me off cause i was seasonal. sometimes you many not get the hours you want.you do go backs and you be in the stock room
would rather have a root canal
Residential Laundry Equipment Repairman (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Very challenging place to work, no elan, no esprit d'corp or commeradie. Raises are far and few in between and then literally only pennies. Every decision is governed by the company's performance matrix which at times causes good customer service to go by the wayside; you don't want negatives, like replacing a defective appliance, on your score card.
benefits
Cons
not an employee or customer oriented company
Great people, not so great management
Emergency Management & Business Continuity (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Great people to work with, however Sr. management is distant and not enough is being done to reduce costs is the most obvious ways.
Decent
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 9, 2016
Decent Customer service job. Sears as a company needs to have better policies for their customer satisfaction =. Did not get enough tools to truly assist customers. Managers were very nice and helpful.
Rewarding employment
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2016
I would feel good about repairing other peoples automobiles on a daily bases. The management was very helpful and constructive in their guidance. I learned a lot about a lot of different automobile.
Enjoyable retail
SalesAssociate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KS 67846February 9, 2016
I enjoyed being able to help and assist customers with their needs. Being trusted to do transactions for several thousand dollars or more safely and securely. The hardest part of the job was not always having what the customer needed in the store for them.
Fun co-workers, but no advancement
B2B Corporate Gift Card Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at work is researching refund gift cards customers did not receive and issuing replacements, if needed. Answering phone calls, and placing orders for corporate customers.
productive, great place to learn skill sets in residential homes
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 8, 2016
ability to work long hours six days a week,, learning new and old tricks of the trade, able to keep customers satisfied,,, opportunity to move up,
Pros
lunch
Cons
no exact time to end days
laid back work environment
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 8, 2016
this was also a good company to start off working for. there is plenty of training and tons of friendly associates. everything is so laid back and slow paced in this store,
Pros
employee discount, friendly management, laid back work environment
Cons
small hours, small employee discount, no health coverage unless youre full time
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 8, 2016
I enjoy my job however we haven't had a raise in years and we keep closing stores.
Typical day varies based on what is happening around us.
I have learned so much about the computer, customer service, and how to treat others.
Most managers are hard working dedicated associates
Pros
nice environment
Cons
wages
It was a nice place to work, I made some good friends.
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WV 25880February 8, 2016
You would have to help customers, and sale products and warranties. I learned a lot about sales and appliances. Management was very pushy when it came to sales, and that made it hard when you didn't get a sale. It made it hard to be friendly when you felt like you had to fight for customers. I enjoyed the training trips.
Pros
Sears discount
Cons
Sales Competition
Harsh Enviroment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Long hours and stress for little pay. A lot of hard work put in with very little benefits. Not well organized, and to many heads saying what to do.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
long hours, little pay, to many head giving direction, disorganized with repair groups.
Overall decent place to work temporarily but not somewhere to build a career out of
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 8, 2016
pretty much a typical retail cashier job. decent pay if you're fine with pushing credit on people for money. main downside is the not so good management and the stress about making your numbers.
Pros
you get paid, employee discount
Cons
unorganized management, metric centered, angry customers
Great company to get you started
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Whether you're looking for your first retail job, or looking for a decent second job, Sears is the place.

An average day on the sales floor would include: stocking products & selling them, assisting customers both on the floor and at the register, processing purchases, payments, exchanges, and returns at the register, and a bit more here and there.

I learned the register, customer service, and sales a lot better. This job really helped me get my foot in the door.

The management, at the time I quit, was not that great. I have witnessed it improve since then, however.

Most of the coworkers at the store were really great, actually.

The hardest part of the job was getting customers to apply for credit. This is something that will be on your monthly/bi-monthly performance review, and honestly not a lot of employees met or exceeded company expectations. The company set the bar too high. If this was the 90s, I probably would've gotten a lot more people applying, but it's not.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team. Generally your coworkers (especially the ones who have been there for years) know what they're doing. Learn from them, do your homework on brand and product history, etc.
Pros
Coworker support, compensation, more nice & relatable customers than bad
Cons
Company policy, performance reviews do the exact opposite of what they should
good work experience
Express Technician (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 8, 2016
lots of opportunity to grow if you've been in the field, lots of stuff to learn. good team environment, every one is willing to help each other out.
Every day is an adventure.
Workforce Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Assists all call centers within the Service Contracts organization by minimizing the inefficiencies in either under-utilized resources or un-fulfilled customer demand. Analyze workforce configurations and make adjustments to determine the optimal long-term workforce configuration to provide a satisfactory level of service to our customers. Manage forecasting and data analytics for Service contracts including performance metrics, attendance/schedule adherence, and required off-line activities(Weekly/monthly Dashboards). Responsible to determine and make changes to parameters (i.e., coverage areas), and to identify staffing level changes required (hiring and/or overtime/hours reductions) within the Service Contracts organization (s) in order to improve the ability of the business to meet customer demand.
Pros
Never boaring.
Cons
Always changing. (business processes)
The company as a whole
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIFebruary 8, 2016
Was not great at all. The store I worked for ended up closing its doors. Nobody got raises or the hours they needed. There was no want to be there for anybody.
Employee discounts
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Sales and effective customer relations ensuring that stock was always available or finding alternatives.

How to deal with irate customers.

Management was people oriented.

Co-workers were friendly.

Replenishing stock after a major sales event.

Interacting with customers, assisting with purchases and discounted items.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Short lunch break, long hours standing
I only got the job because the store manager wanted to sleep with me.
Level 1 Technician (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLFebruary 8, 2016
I only got the job because the store manager wanted to sleep with me. When he figured out that I wasn't going to put out, he only gave me 5 hours a pay period (two weeks).