Sears Employee Reviews

Found 14,236 reviews matching the search
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work I might check out 10 customers, if it's holiday season it can get pretty busy. Nothing's hard about cashiering, but first coming in it could be a little overwhelming. Once you get the hang of things it's pretty easy. Working at Sears, I learned to not be afraid of interacting with my customers, which I am great at now. In the short time of me working there I had regulars that wanted to deal with only me, and got plenty of positive feedback. The majority of management was helpful and respectful, however management only cared about management. Sears as a workplace culture is just a dead end job. Period. They start you at minimum wage, raises are less than a quarter, and it's very hard to get one. The most enjoyable thing about working at Sears were honestly my co-workers, my regulars, and most customers.
Sears doesnt BELIEVE in raises,managements a joke,theres a reason why sears is failing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILDecember 25, 2016
Sears will cheat you of full time benefits,i worked part time yet worked 38 hours a week,theres no raises whatsoever,managers are okay. They will over work Minors and keep them past 11pm sometimes.Credit cards are the only way this company survives. Cashiers get the most talks about pushing sears cards and if you dont get a certain amount,they WILL FIRE YOU regardless of how good you may work.
The pay is $8.25 hourly.
I guess if you need a first job then apply.

If youre hardware then you get paid like $4.75 because youre making comission,but if you dont make anything then you wil get the standard minimum pay.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Teens are overworked, no raises, no benefits, managers are snakes, long hours, no life afterwork
Some good people.
Asset Protection Recover Assoaciate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIFebruary 14, 2017
Store management is OK, but district, regional,and corporate don't have a clue.

Sadly there is a slow death spiral going on.

Associates are generally great and talented, but workload is usually way too high. 3 or 4 people assign tasks for 1 job position, and none of them communicate to each other.

MCA position is the hardest.

middle management is being squashed between a rock and hard place.

corporate keeps cutting, and then complains about duties not being done.
Pros
Schedules can be flexible, some quality managers, there are a lot of people who want to do a good job.
Cons
PAY! no raises, little chance for advancement. Very poor training, over the top workloads, and bad personality assessments to change jobs.
Great people, terrible culture
Apparel Lead (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 26, 2016
I loved working with the crew I had at Sears, but due to the financial instability of the company a lot of procedures would change frequently as they would liquidate positions. The need to push 22 metrics was so desperate that most associates resorted to immorally obtaining their numbers.
I could not understand why our district leaders, who were aware of our store's struggle, continued to push unrealistic goals for our area while we did not have the resources to achieve such standards. There was also no room for advancement and, again due to the financial instability of the company, raises were not given.
Pros
Amazing people, some with excellent work ethics
Cons
Unrealistic standards from upper management
Terrible organization to work for period!
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I was excited when I began working for this company, but I learned in less then one work week that Sears culture is horrible. They only care about how many credits you get while working.Meaning you can be on time, dependable, have great customer service, but no credits well you get my drift. They do not train you appropriately and sometimes you don't even get breaks. Pay sucks! It's only part time mostly and trust me you will be worked like a slave during those 4 hours. Management sucks (lack of communication) 99.9 % of the time. I would not recommend anyone work here period. The worst job experience ever! I could go on with things I have experienced working here but it is ultimately up to whomever chooses to work here to form their own opinion. What was not a success to me maybe diffrent for someone else...
Pros
Employee discount, Actually being able to service members and give good customer service.
Cons
No breaks, bad management, favoritism, poor pay, no work life balance, no benefits, poor team/work spirit etc;
no job security
Soft Lines Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 17, 2017
. MORAL IS DYING WITH PROFIT if you seek long term stability keep looking.
the company is sinking and you feel it no matter if your a part time cashier or a manger you feel it all the way from the bottom to the top. They are eliminating positions to save on profit and there's very few Indians to do all the work and the management are walking on egg shells afraid of there job getting eliminated next. I had a great experience learning but as far as any advancement you cannot advance if your company isn't.

The conference calls are aggressive. " If your cashiers aren't performing ( signing up for sears cards) they need to be terminated after a warning."

The payroll left nothing to delegate the unrealistic amount of task and all was left up to salary employees to slave around the clock. They were told to work overnight and it wasn't said but expected to sleep about 3 or 4 hours and come back to run the store.

I loved my co workers and my team was a family but that didn't pay my bills.
Pros
benifts
Cons
no job security
worst job ever
receiving associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 29, 2016
Worked for sears for almost 3 years. Never got full-time, never got a raise. Minimum wage but they continuously added work for us to do. Had to mostly work alone doing customer pick-ups Where you had to load washers and dryers, riding mowers, treadmills and other items. You only had 5 mins to load each customer if not they get a 20% off coupon and management will complain but you are working alone. 3 or 4 customers will come at once how are you suppose to load all of them in 5 mins alone. Management will nit pick about the appearance of the warehouse but you're alone. Would have to climb on top on the forklift and high shelves to get products because of no help. No respect, no appreciation management use to say be glad you have a job.
Depressing
Merchandising/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 2, 2016
Everyone is miserable and hates coming to work. The pay and benefits are terrible and the culture is just one of constant fear being instilled into the employees. No positive reinforcement when anyone does anything right and no pay increases for those who are reliable and work hard. They just give out negative feedback and all they care about is making the customers join the rewards program and sign up for store credit cards. I have worked there for a year and I work really hard and have never got a pay increase and because I am only part time I get no benefits whatsoever. Everyone there is stressed and unhappy and they have a terrible time keeping anyone because it is an awful place to work.
Busy place to work
Hardlines MCA (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 11, 2016
Depending on where you work; cashier, softlines (clothing and shoes), hardlines (appliances, tools, kitchen hardware), or in the back pulling orders and unloading truck it can be a job that requires A Lot of energy.
I gave management 3 stars only because my immediate supervisors in both softlines and hardlines were wonderful people. Otherwise management cared only about the bottom line, getting people to sign up for credit, and signing people up for their "shop your way" program.
Many of my co-workers were great people and easy to work with, but we had a high turnover rate.
The hardest part of this job was from Black Friday until around January 15th. There is always something that needs to be done Right Now, and another customer needing help and having No Patience at all.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working early mornings before we opened the store. I was able to get more "has to be done NOW" work accomplished and get add changes done.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
no raises, few chances for advancement
Sears Human Resouces q
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2016
As I loved the job I did, It gave me to opportunity to make a difference in working environment that I affected. My ability to interact with the working staff and associates allowed me to share my work experience as well as my knowledge.

The amount of work at sometimes became a challenge with the elimination of jobs to help support the difference businesses.

My ability to effect pay was not great as our company had very strict restraints on what could done so that we could be a competitive business and attract the talent needed.
Pros
Employee discount, employee benefits, Team work
Cons
elimination of jobs, Hours alotted to run a department or store adquetely, Preseasures to sell and no rewards for doing a great job.
Great Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 18, 2016
In retail you work long hours and the work life balanace is difficult due to the sales revolvinng around Holidays. It had its rewards and challenges. When I first started there it was a great place to work and move up. But as the economy started to slide so did the morale of the company and the cuts. They started takign away benefits and hours of employees and started requiring more from the current employees. The hardest part was the work life balance. The most enoyable was the employees and the relationships you build.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Loss of Benefits and Work Life Balance
Productive, Learning and friendly Environment
Team Manager, Sales & Service (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 10, 2016
A very good place to work at. I learned some great sales, relationship building skills and management skills. Management is very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job for me is that some of the things needs to be stream lined and Sears needs to be more technology friendly as well as the communication with in the management needs to be more effective and improved. The most enjoyable thing for me is the recognition on the leader board email and by my direct manager when week over week and month over month my team comes at the 1st or 2nd place in sales stack ranking.
Pros
Quaterly & yearly Bonus, Sales TM Contest, Free team Lunch, drawing, paid vacations
Cons
Health insurance benefits & cost, pay
Very slow business
Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 6, 2016
Easy to switch positions. But you don't necessarily get the training you'd need for it. Managers had attitudes. I was left to do a lot of my managers job when she decided she didn't want to finish. And often got scolded when I didn't know what to do. Store managers changed often. More than sales associates. If there was no one to do a job in a different department you were expected to do it. Even if you had no idea. I was often told to be a cashier when I worked in mattresses because someone who worked in clothes would have called in. They want you to do a lot of work for minimum wage.
Pros
Long lunches.
Cons
No raises. I was told it was like " moving mountains "
Little advancement opportunity
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCFebruary 8, 2017
I worked for this company for 16 years. I got laid off when the company eliminated my position. They gave the most comparable position to a guy who had been with the company for about a year. I assume he got paid less to do the same job so they went with him. I had to fight for every raise I got and only in the last 6 months of my employment there was I making the amount I should have been making for my tenure with the company. The company is not stable and has been closing stores, I don't see it as good job security anyway.
Pros
No third shift
Cons
No advancement, low pay, unstable business
Relaxing job but worry about being laid off
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gautier, MSJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed the job, it was easy and we were able to take our time to assist each customer. The work other than that was easy, just a lot of downtime due to slow traffic. We found out in June our store would be closing with no warning and management didn't provide us with the ability to transfer to another store. There was no compensation for employees who had been with the company less than a year. Management could use better training on how to be managers and how the open door policy works.
Pros
Good pay, lots of downtime
Cons
Terrible management, lazy employees, lack of communication
bottom rung retail
Hardlines Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTSeptember 29, 2016
The company seemed to encourage openly deplorable and abusive behavior from it's managers. my store manager would routinely scream obscenities at his employees on the sales floor, the assistant manager would make sexist jokes in the break room, and criticized workers for taking their legally guaranteed breaks. When hired I was told there was room for advancement, and that good work was rewarded, after being hired I learned that the company had frozen wages 6 years earlier, and only gave raises when changes in the minimum wage laws forced them to. My store was closed in a corporate attempt to reduce expenses, putting 82 people out of work, but the CEO gave himself a multi-million dollar bonus.
Pros
small employee discount.
Cons
abusive managers, disposable employee attitude.
This company does not value hard work.
Merchandising and Pricing Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The only good thing about this company is I was able to work and attend school as a full time student. This company values workers who will kiss up instead of those who will work hard and earn promotions. There are no benefits for part timers, no guaranteed hours, and the associates discounts were taking away. Overall, sears is one of the worse companies to work for.
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no apprecation or care for workers, especially part timers
I like the people, not the company.
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 21, 2017
I really enjoyed working with my co-workers and managers, they're some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. However, the company is on a fast track downward and even with open positions in management they almost never promote from within even when a candidate is qualified. You never receive a raise with the freeze on wages. Your work is almost never rewarded as the system that they rate their employees on is a broken system that rewards working less.
Good place for retail experience
Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 17, 2016
This is a good entry level place to gain retail experience, but the compensation and advancement strategies are backwards. They promote the individuals who steal sales and are the laziest, while the people who work the hardest get left at the bottom. I got passed for promotions 5 times for individuals who were less qualified, and put in less effort than myself. You are graded on metrics, but goals are ridiculous compared to the traffic that comes in. In sales, if a customer makes an exchange on your off day, you lost the commission while the exchange associate gained it. You were told to do store to home transactions, and that it would still count in your bonus compensation, but the bonus was denied because of too many due to online only specials that you could not match in the store. Put up with it for 4 1/2 years.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Too many
An upbeat and competitive workplace.
Sales Associate, Tool/ Lawn & Garden Department (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 6, 2016
While working at Sears I worked consistently. Everyday was different and I learned about a new product and what it was capable of or learned something new about a tool that I was already familiar with. You get a lot of experience and training in sales and which does a lot to build overall confidence and self-esteem. You mix with very diverse coworkers. It sometimes gets hard dealing with the change of pace when the seasons change and the demand from management raises. But the pay off afterwards is very rewarding.
Pros
Good for character, Pay, Overtime
Cons
Static changes in management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9