Sears Employee Reviews in United States

Found 12,939 reviews matching the search
Stay Away
Customer Service/Merchandise Pick-up (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 14, 2016
Sears has earned its recent reputation as a bad place to work and for good reason. Opportunities to advance are few and far between. Also, in the 2.5 years I worked there, we were never given a raise. Their justification for this is that there are ways to increase your income by either more sales, web-to-store sales, etc... Only problem is that certain jobs have limited customer interaction, and you are under a timer to get things done quickly. That makes it really hard to do those things to increase your take home pay. We also went through store management quickly, mainly because the district management above them worked them hard and they burned out.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Pay, no benefits for part-time employees
Challenging
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 11, 2016
The company is consistently coming up with new "ideas" to better the business. Problem is, none of the managers, store level and up, do not communicate. So you have several different managers telling you to do something different. The associates in the building are very fun to work with. The customers that do come to Sears are very loyal. Sears has A LOT to teach, however, the entire business strategy is devised from reports instead of actual business practice and observation. From my experience, their is very little room for advancement, and if their is, it's very hard to achieve. Raises are almost non existent. We have associates that have worked for the company for over 15 years and never received a raise. Sears is what I like to call a 'filler' job. Something to take up the time in between careers. Not what I would call a permanent position or any kind of career.
Pros
GREAT dental and vision.
Cons
Poor management communication, Unclear overall business direction, Beyond what you would call 'frequent' changes
Veterans run away
Asset Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 27, 2016
This company is hanging on by a thread. They preach that they hire veterans and support the cause, but when it comes right down to it they don't. I worked for them full time for almost 2 years and was called into the management's office and let go without notice. Their excuse was that my job was not longer needed at the store.

The same day they posted 6 job openings for employment in the store. I was offered none of them and was told that I could get a weeks severance pay if I signed a waiver form stating that I would not sue them for anything.

Sears is more worried about how to get you to apply for credit cards at 20+% interest than keeping good qualified employees.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
30 minutes lunch off the clock, no raises
Work was great and Manager was AMAZING
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 28, 2016
I really liked working on digital projects. No one project was ever the same. I worked with a lot of fun and creative people.
Hardest part of the job were the timelines. Everyone has a project from the CEO and it needed to be done yesterday.
I loved my boss. He was everything you can ask for in a manager. He taught me so many lessons about being a leader, how to resolve issues, how not to take things to heart in the business and looked out for his team, and only wanted the best for us.
The work/life balance was great. You could work from home if needed.
Pros
Had a great manager, interesting projects, and a nice work/life balance.
Cons
Timelines are strict and raises are far and few between.
Great job, but the Sears corporation doesn't care abou employees
Auto Center Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23462April 4, 2016
I loved this job there was excellent room for advancement, the benefits and pay is great. The only problem with sears is the main corporation doesn't care about there employees. They did what they called an employee reduction where they laid off 35,000 employees. They gave us little to no warning because we was told 1 week prior to being laid off which gave us no opportunity to seek employment prior to being laid off.
Pros
Great pay, Benefits, Management, Work Environment.
Cons
Bad executive level management
Great pay for the job
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 21, 2016
The job is very easy w/ decent pay. It can be mundane and repetitive, You can learn a great deal about Major retail products, parts, and customers service. The hardest part is dealing with irate customers several times a day as part of the position.The work environment is relaxed, everyone knows everyone therefor it's friendly, and so are most of the managers. The most enjoyable part is solving problems, helping customers and getting positive feed back.
Pros
set hours, but flexible, decent benefits and very secure job.
Cons
No incentive pay or raises unless you move up into management, but managers are worked hard and burdened without compensation for extra duties
Good Company however has not issued any raises in over 6 yrs.
Sears Claims Administrator (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJanuary 28, 2016
Must stay seated at desk if not at half hour lunch or 15 minute breaks. Learned to use multiple systems and researching to assist customers. Management has continued to receive bonuses while other employees have not received raises. This company has not offered raises for the last 6 years to the majority of the employees. A lot of my co-workers are also looking other positions in similar type jobs. The hardest part of the job is having to call a customer and let them know we are not able to assist with their needs due to the constraints of the terms and conditions of the various contracts. I truly enjoy interacting with our customers and the feel of my co-workers being a 2nd family.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, lack of pay increases, constant schedule changes and working weekends
You never know who you are going to meet...
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 3, 2016
On a typical day I would drive around to customers house's and fix their appliances. I learned more about electrical troubleshooting. Management was nice and most of the co-workers had been with the company for many years. The weather was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting exposed to many different cultures.
Pros
You don't have to commute in your own car.
Cons
Hard to get pay raises.
My overall summary of Sears is productive and beneficial.
Senior Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at Sears is eventful, challenging and fun.
I have learned patience while working at Sears.
The management staff at Sears are very supportive, and informative.
I enjoy my co-workers,because we support each in every aspect.
I do not have any hard parts of my job.
The most enjoyable part of my job is finding resolutions for our members.
Pros
The opportunity to work in a control climate atmosphere.
Cons
No raises, short lunches
Laid back, terrible pay, lack of mangement
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 2, 2016
Ok place to work if you're just looking for extra cash. No room for advancement. Pay is minimum wage and from what I've been told and after being there for almost a year there are NO raises. People just do whatever they want and there really is no discipline. Basically the people that actually do their job don't get the recognition they deserve. Most of the people are easy to get along with but the management could be a little more strict.
Pros
Sociable, offer benefits to part time and full time, employee discount
Cons
pay, management
Keep on looking
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 18, 2016
If you are desperate for a job, go to Sears, because they are likely short handed due to yet ANOTHER person quitting/walking out on them. By far the most stressful job I've ever had. Terrible pay, and I hope you are great at putting people in debt by begging them to sign up for all the credit cards they have to offer. Hope you like getting yelled at for asking one too many times (or else your manager will be furious). It's just unrealistic goals they set, why be a part of a team that's going underwater and no one seems to care abut you? I'd take an extra week to find a different job. I'd honestly work fast food over there ever again.
Pros
Discount, I made nice friends and one of the locations
Cons
Rarely get your 15 minute break, short lunches, basically NO training, worst managers I've ever encountered, rarely room to advance unless they are desperate, no raises, impossible credit goals, unreal stress, always short staffed
Don't
Back Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 31, 2016
- I worked for Sears for two years and I believe they disrespected me in the end.
-Managers are horrible will throw employees to the wolves.
-Don't even think about getting a raise.
-Pretend that you got a raise but find out that the job title for the whole company got raised.
-Apply for a higher position but don't even give you the respect of an interview.
- When you apply for a different job they cut you off the schedule completely because they believe you will try to crawl back to them.
-the only thing I can say about this job is that it was a decent starter job but nothing more, working there made me want to go back to schooling.
Pros
A lot of hours during the holiday
Cons
Not worth it.
Former Lead demoted to Merchandiser because they took the position away because they are doing so poorly as a business.
Merchandiser former (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, GAMarch 18, 2016
By far currently became one of the worst employers ever especially sense they took the raises away. Everybody is either quitting or getting laid off. No hours. Very disrespectful and don'the care about their employees or their customers, just care about making a buck and paying extremely little. I was there 7 and a half years and was only making $8.45 and was probably doing more than anyone in the store and even had awards recognitions and busted shoplifters, and ran mostly all departments. Work somewhere else. You'll thank me later.
Cons
Continual work under high pressure brought on by poor corporate management. No advancment or pay increases.
Customer Service, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 9, 2016
I have worked for this company on two separate occasions and was paid more for the first four years than when they asked me to come back to work. We had moved to Maryland because of my wife's job.

I am 74 years old and am only asked to be there two days a week to unload, by hand, a semi-trailer.

The co-workers are mixed, some will work hard, others will make it hard on the rest because they are not doing their share.

There is very little, if any, backing from management. They are under extreme pressure for their jobs and it trickles down. Most store full time employees, of which very few remain after many have been let go, go into a panic mode if they find out there is going to be a "corporate" visitor.
Pros
We have cake once a month.
Cons
Low pay, no "thank you's" for good work. No slack.
Overall review
Purchasing & Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for sears and the customers we served. A typical day consisted of reviewing the work loads and ensuring items were in house for the jobs on the schedule for the coming days. In addition fleet maintenance had to be up to date and vehicles had to be in great condition to meet the needs of the customers we served. Management was great and enjoyable to work with. All of my co workers were great and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistency of the sales team. Trying to find source items on short notice. The most enjoyable part was reviewing some of the quality work the staff was able to do while making quality assurance rounds.
Pros
Work Schedule
Cons
Liked working with the customers
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day would have started with picking up you work orders for the day. Checking to make sure you had the parts needed to complete the work orders. Calling customers to arrange a time to do the work. Complete the work order and give a copy to the customer. Sometimes collecting payment for the work that was done and turn that into the accounting office along with the accompanying work order.
Management was helpful and always responded to employee and customer needs
The hardest part of the job was working on emergency call. You were by yourself and I had 11 counties in Missouri and 6 in Illinois that I covered.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers happy when the job was complete.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday.
Cons
A lot of driving and long hours
Fun place to work, always something new, awesome group of people
Executive Administrative Assistant to CPO (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed working for Sears and loved my job. I always enjoyed going in to work. I supported a professional and respectful leadership/team. It was a friendly atmosphere, a fast-paced environment, and we all worked as a team. I saw my team as a family, who all got along and worked great together. The hardest thing was to see co-workers leave the company for a better opportunity and better benefits.I've learned not to take anything personal and change is good. Sears/Kmart use to be the greatest and sales are down and it just breaks my heart.
Pros
Sears Culture, diversity
Cons
healthcare, no 401K match
Poor uncoordinated work environment
merchandise customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11234March 7, 2016
A typical day of work here includes little to no direction from management unorganized tasks and poor communication between co-workers. During my time here I have learned the best way to help achieve conflict resolution between individuals. The management wasn't trained effectively and as a result demonstrated poor leadership responsibilities to their workers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with a very chaotic work space while still trying to maintain production. The most enjoyable part of this job was the amount of flexibility they offered you.
Pros
Flexable Hours
Cons
Poor compensation and High demand of work and uneffective management methods
Small store environment, Great opportunity to grow as a manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILMarch 17, 2016
I was fortunate enough to see transitions of many kinds within the organization, and even oversaw the closing of a store prior to my position as Store Manager for my current location. I learned a lot about how to coach and train staff effectively, and was able to glean much from the management I worked underneath.

However, with the transition to a franchise, the additional knowledge gained was of a different nature. I learned how to work with fewer assets than I would like and effect change within a group of disheartened employees. Having succeeded to some degree on this front, I was able to produce results for the store, bringing great increase in sales and performance metrics.

Overall, working for this company is truly a "you get what you make of it" scenario. Tremendous opportunities to provide solutions and grow as a leader, provided you have the ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment.
Pros
Good opportunity to effect change
Cons
Lack of compensation, difficulty to rise above store level
Flexible but not very compensating
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAMarch 30, 2016
As a company sears holdings is stores are usually very flexible with your schedule however hours fluctuate way too much. There is not much room for growth in the company, and pay is not very competitive.
Pros
flexible schedule, laid back company
Cons
poor pay, no room for growth or raises

2.9