Sears
8,403 reviews

Sears Employer Reviews

Challenging assignments makes everyday a new learning in my career
Project Manager/Business Analyst/QA Lead (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 25, 2014
Everyday starts with excitement and meeting with customers and team members about assignments and follow up on previous tasks and assigning new tasks.
Learnt many things like effective customer management, increased productive team meetings and best of best communication.
Very well managed a group of 60+ people and attained utmost respect with everyone.
Always – more... be friendly with co-workers and guiding them in their work activities and working along with them when they are in needy.
Spending 12-14 hours daily to make sure that team and customers are happy for the day and every day.
Spending time with team during outings and working with team during weekends. – less
Menards felt like home, workplace very good.
Cashier (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILDecember 25, 2014
Pros: they were willing to work with your hours
Cons: it could be very cold if you worked on the last register, due the constant opening doors.
Working as a cashier, or filling in at customer service
Facing the end caps at all registers
Helping out in other department, to get knowledge of what goes on
Being a greeter at the entrance, and promoting the Menards credit card
Fun, flexible work environment
Home Improvement Consultant (Current Employee), Springfield, ORDecember 25, 2014
Hard to advance in the company as well as see future with poor management decisions.
fast paced environment, fun with highschool kids but very demanding on the older employees to make up lost work.
Backroom Lead (Current Employee), Red Oak, IADecember 25, 2014
Pros: lunch hour, paid vacation days for full timers, earn vacation and personal time, stock and 401k offered
Cons: high stress, and poor pay make it hard to stay motivated on all levels.
I started working for sears at a Big k, from cashier to hardlines, RES to backroom I've seen and done a lot of the jobs offers in store, poor training and high expectations make this job one of the most challenging I've had. Hard to get raises and an almost stand off like culture make it hard to sink into the crew. Great for a first time job or highschool – more... grads good building needed retail skills if planning on staying in that field. But you won't ever make much money at this job regardless of your position. High expectations on credit apps and rewards turn over make the job challenging from the start,fast paced unload of truck deliver a high maintenance job but again very little pay, almost no chance of overtime, poor planning of sales floor action plans, employees have a tendency to push the problems on others. – less
Minimum wage job
Backroom Associate (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 24, 2014
Pros: 10% off hard lines (lawn/garden equipment, tools, electronics) and 20% off soft lines (clothing and apparel), store is located in a large mall
Cons: minimum wage, no benefits for pt status, lack of hours, no pay increases, during slow times there isn't much to keep busy, no set routine for each shift
This job should be put under review, or even the company for that matter.The company has been in decline for quite some time and it hasn't improved at all.

It is a minimum wage job that involves heavy lifting of large appliances in a 2 story warehouse. The company's main procedure is you fill customers orders when they come in, and you have to do it – more... in under 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if that heavy iron stove is on the second floor and you have no equipment to move it, or if the large refrigerator is out on the sales floor and the person is ready to pick it up before you can even retrieve it. Its back breaking work and most of the time you have no help (there are other people working, but they are doing their own thing most of the time). The management (though there are a few good people) is a poor sight. Trying to get one of them to assist you is as difficult as trying to get a tree speak to you. Its even worse during the holidays because they all act like you are always bothering them. Some of the management i found difficult to interact with because of the way they treat and speak to people.

This should be a $10/hr job but it isn't. Its not worth the money with the amount of work, and the people you deal with. If you can find better pay work, or work for the same pay but not almost illegal then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

The only "benefit" you get (at least for me since i was PT) was the employee discount, which in all honesty isn't even a discount (at least when you use it in the store). The one good thing about it though, is you can use the discount card at the food court in the mall, and some places you can get food for a fair price. As for the people you work with, they are the only reason its easier to work there. They are all cool people. Very relate able. I felt like they are friends because we could talk about anything and have a conversation, plus they give good advice

Disclaimer: this was just my experience, so other people may have a different opinion. Other positions at the store may be different as well. – less
Seasonal
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEDecember 24, 2014
I worked at sears seasonally and only for about a month and a half. I liked the fact that I got a lot of hours, but I was there extensively. I would sometimes go in at 7am and wont leave until about 11pm. My manager never really seemed to care and she was often very one-sided about issues that I bring to her about different situations. The job was very – more... repetitive. – less
Good Management, Really pushes credit
Cashier (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 23, 2014
Pros: free lunch, easy job, flexible schedule, store closes at 8 or 9pm so no late nights, promotes internally when possible
Cons: trying to meet credit quota, missing out on store2home when you have long lines, pay, hours
Decent hours. When people don't show it is easy to get extra shifts. Busy during holidays and weekends. Not too many difficult customers. Management praises you when you do well and really tries to boost morale. Only good for 28 hours or less. No real benefits. Minimum wage pay. Pushes credit, you have to get 1 app for every 17 customers.
Good for a starter job
cashier (Former Employee), baltimoreDecember 23, 2014
Pros: in the mall
Cons: low pay
entry level starter job…fun environment nice place to work work high school students
Interactive with diverse population
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Garden City, NYDecember 23, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: healthcare
A great place to work. As a Sales Associate I have learned excellent customer service skills, communication skills and how to maintain a great professional attitude.
Very busy environment. Excellent customer service experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2014
Pros: location close
Cons: location was close to my home
It's not a fun place to work. People are not friendly or helpful.
Great work environment
MCA merchandising customer assistance (Current Employee), Presque Isle, MEDecember 23, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: no raises, little opportunity for advancement
Everyday at work I get to help members have the best experience with us at sears. I learned so much each day, from selling mattresses to creating, sorting and putting up all of the stores signing. Management guided me through the merchandising and taught me to read and apply plan-o-grams to the merchandise. Each and everyday my coworkers make it delightful – more... to be there and put a smile on my face. I struggled at first with learning to use the typicals and plan-o-grams when I began as an MCA compared to a sales associate. The best part of the job for me at this point is the family atmosphere of the workplace. I really feel at home with my coworkers. – less
Great for college kids
MCA (Former Employee), Mobile, AL Bel-Air MallDecember 23, 2014
Pros: the customers
Cons: the co workers and the wage
If you are looking to make extra money while you are in school then i strongly suggest you apply for the Sears inside of Bel-Air mall. Due to its wages this is not a job you apply for if you have a family at home that needs to be taken care of. This is a minimum wage job with no sign of a raise no matter how long you stay. Some of the managers are awesome. – more... Like most jobs you have your undercover drama. This is not a job for adults 24 and up unless you still stay at home with your mother and no bills to pay but your phone bill. – less
Eh
Cashier, Floater (Former Employee), Morrisville, PADecember 22, 2014
Pros: long breaks, breaks whenever, coworkers
Cons: pay, no job security at all
Not the best job I've had. It was my first job so getting any sort of money in my pocket put a smile on my face so i wasn't too concerned about the low pay. All the employees at the time told me that getting a raise was extremely difficult, and that overtime was highly frowned upon.

Looking back now, I'm more or less glad the place closed down. It – more... sucks for the people that lost their jobs, but if the place stayed open i probably would have been screwed over pay for a very very long time.

People that worked there were very cool, funny, and professional. – less
Easy job
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee), Marion, OHDecember 22, 2014
Lots of opportunities to move departments, little pay increase
Sears
Merchandise and Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 22, 2014
You get laid off more then you work. Very little training and hardly any working equipment to work with, getting a job done without the proper tools is very difficult. 8 hour shifts with maybe a 20 minute lunch was very hard. Just not a good company to work for as an hourly associate or a salaried associate.
Processing incoming freight.
Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MODecember 21, 2014
Truck lines as well as DSD vendors, were unloaded daily, the merchandise processed and sent to the floor. Seasonal merchandise required pre-planning of space allocation. Dealing with vendors, sales reps, as well as customers was a daily part of the job..
Hardware Deployment
Hardware Deployment Specialist (Former Employee), Troy, MIDecember 21, 2014
Pros: project work
Cons: temporary assignments
Project based work to Sears and Kmart stores. Deploying Kiosk, desktops, servers, and printers.

Co-workers knowledgeable and supportive.

The hardest part of the job is the multilingual prospects. I had to find management that spoke English as I understood a little amount of Spanish for South America
Great If you are a High School Student
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Orange Park, FLDecember 21, 2014
Pros: job was very easy
Cons: lack of financial growth, and job culture was horrible
Sears is not a company to consider working for if you have a family, or bills to pay. I worked here right out of high school so it wasn't so bad. But I couldn't imagine working for this company now. Work environment was fast-paced, and not rewarding at all with pay.
Hardworking, fast pace day at work
Cashier (Former Employee), Morrow, GADecember 21, 2014
Pros: everything
I have learned that working hard to get the job done is an great feeling. Management is ok certain managers taught me a lot about how to be professional in the work place. I loved my co workers, I find it easy to get along with people.
Great place to work!
Cashier/ MCA (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKDecember 21, 2014
This job taught me customer service skills and problem solving skills.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more