Sears Employee Reviews

Found 14,218 reviews matching the search
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work I might check out 10 customers, if it's holiday season it can get pretty busy. Nothing's hard about cashiering, but first coming in it could be a little overwhelming. Once you get the hang of things it's pretty easy. Working at Sears, I learned to not be afraid of interacting with my customers, which I am great at now. In the short time of me working there I had regulars that wanted to deal with only me, and got plenty of positive feedback. The majority of management was helpful and respectful, however management only cared about management. Sears as a workplace culture is just a dead end job. Period. They start you at minimum wage, raises are less than a quarter, and it's very hard to get one. The most enjoyable thing about working at Sears were honestly my co-workers, my regulars, and most customers.
Terrible organization to work for period!
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I was excited when I began working for this company, but I learned in less then one work week that Sears culture is horrible. They only care about how many credits you get while working.Meaning you can be on time, dependable, have great customer service, but no credits well you get my drift. They do not train you appropriately and sometimes you don't even get breaks. Pay sucks! It's only part time mostly and trust me you will be worked like a slave during those 4 hours. Management sucks (lack of communication) 99.9 % of the time. I would not recommend anyone work here period. The worst job experience ever! I could go on with things I have experienced working here but it is ultimately up to whomever chooses to work here to form their own opinion. What was not a success to me maybe diffrent for someone else...
Pros
Employee discount, Actually being able to service members and give good customer service.
Cons
No breaks, bad management, favoritism, poor pay, no work life balance, no benefits, poor team/work spirit etc;
It's sears
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXDecember 26, 2016
Not much to say, horrible management. They wanted you to do more than you had the tools for. Managers and leads didn't know what was going on and didn't know needed resources. Everything is based on surveys. They have a mattress return policy that is strict which you would get a bad survey for but they'd still blame you even though the comments were about the policy. The catch is that they were not informed before the connected call about the survey NOR were we allowed to tell them. Saw too many good agents being fired for this. I would not work here, they are a horrible company. The only reasons why I gave 5 stars on job work/life balance is because you can almost take off WHENEVER YOU WANT BUT IT'S NOT PAID. They have a good absent policy. They work well with school and life schedules. If that's all you need then this is the place for you.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Sears doesnt BELIEVE in raises,managements a joke,theres a reason why sears is failing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILDecember 25, 2016
Sears will cheat you of full time benefits,i worked part time yet worked 38 hours a week,theres no raises whatsoever,managers are okay. They will over work Minors and keep them past 11pm sometimes.Credit cards are the only way this company survives. Cashiers get the most talks about pushing sears cards and if you dont get a certain amount,they WILL FIRE YOU regardless of how good you may work.
The pay is $8.25 hourly.
I guess if you need a first job then apply.

If youre hardware then you get paid like $4.75 because youre making comission,but if you dont make anything then you wil get the standard minimum pay.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Teens are overworked, no raises, no benefits, managers are snakes, long hours, no life afterwork
Some good people.
Asset Protection Recover Assoaciate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIFebruary 14, 2017
Store management is OK, but district, regional,and corporate don't have a clue.

Sadly there is a slow death spiral going on.

Associates are generally great and talented, but workload is usually way too high. 3 or 4 people assign tasks for 1 job position, and none of them communicate to each other.

MCA position is the hardest.

middle management is being squashed between a rock and hard place.

corporate keeps cutting, and then complains about duties not being done.
Pros
Schedules can be flexible, some quality managers, there are a lot of people who want to do a good job.
Cons
PAY! no raises, little chance for advancement. Very poor training, over the top workloads, and bad personality assessments to change jobs.
Great people, terrible culture
Apparel Lead (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 26, 2016
I loved working with the crew I had at Sears, but due to the financial instability of the company a lot of procedures would change frequently as they would liquidate positions. The need to push 22 metrics was so desperate that most associates resorted to immorally obtaining their numbers.
I could not understand why our district leaders, who were aware of our store's struggle, continued to push unrealistic goals for our area while we did not have the resources to achieve such standards. There was also no room for advancement and, again due to the financial instability of the company, raises were not given.
Pros
Amazing people, some with excellent work ethics
Cons
Unrealistic standards from upper management
Depressing
Merchandising/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 2, 2016
Everyone is miserable and hates coming to work. The pay and benefits are terrible and the culture is just one of constant fear being instilled into the employees. No positive reinforcement when anyone does anything right and no pay increases for those who are reliable and work hard. They just give out negative feedback and all they care about is making the customers join the rewards program and sign up for store credit cards. I have worked there for a year and I work really hard and have never got a pay increase and because I am only part time I get no benefits whatsoever. Everyone there is stressed and unhappy and they have a terrible time keeping anyone because it is an awful place to work.
worst job ever
receiving associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 29, 2016
Worked for sears for almost 3 years. Never got full-time, never got a raise. Minimum wage but they continuously added work for us to do. Had to mostly work alone doing customer pick-ups Where you had to load washers and dryers, riding mowers, treadmills and other items. You only had 5 mins to load each customer if not they get a 20% off coupon and management will complain but you are working alone. 3 or 4 customers will come at once how are you suppose to load all of them in 5 mins alone. Management will nit pick about the appearance of the warehouse but you're alone. Would have to climb on top on the forklift and high shelves to get products because of no help. No respect, no appreciation management use to say be glad you have a job.
no job security
Soft Lines Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 17, 2017
. MORAL IS DYING WITH PROFIT if you seek long term stability keep looking.
the company is sinking and you feel it no matter if your a part time cashier or a manger you feel it all the way from the bottom to the top. They are eliminating positions to save on profit and there's very few Indians to do all the work and the management are walking on egg shells afraid of there job getting eliminated next. I had a great experience learning but as far as any advancement you cannot advance if your company isn't.

The conference calls are aggressive. " If your cashiers aren't performing ( signing up for sears cards) they need to be terminated after a warning."

The payroll left nothing to delegate the unrealistic amount of task and all was left up to salary employees to slave around the clock. They were told to work overnight and it wasn't said but expected to sleep about 3 or 4 hours and come back to run the store.

I loved my co workers and my team was a family but that didn't pay my bills.
Pros
benifts
Cons
no job security
Busy place to work
Hardlines MCA (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 11, 2016
Depending on where you work; cashier, softlines (clothing and shoes), hardlines (appliances, tools, kitchen hardware), or in the back pulling orders and unloading truck it can be a job that requires A Lot of energy.
I gave management 3 stars only because my immediate supervisors in both softlines and hardlines were wonderful people. Otherwise management cared only about the bottom line, getting people to sign up for credit, and signing people up for their "shop your way" program.
Many of my co-workers were great people and easy to work with, but we had a high turnover rate.
The hardest part of this job was from Black Friday until around January 15th. There is always something that needs to be done Right Now, and another customer needing help and having No Patience at all.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working early mornings before we opened the store. I was able to get more "has to be done NOW" work accomplished and get add changes done.
Pros
some good people to work with
Cons
no raises, few chances for advancement
Productive workplace
CONSULTATIVE SALES (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 12, 2017
Sears provides an upbeat and competitive work environment. Employees generally get along well with one another, and there are opportunities for advancement within the company. Added bonuses along with hourly pay and commission rates makes Sears a great place to work for those who are just starting out in retail locations all the way through upper management for those are a little more experienced.
Pros
Commission and bonuses, friendly co-workers, close relationships with management
Cons
Holidays, Customer issues
bottom rung retail
Hardlines Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTSeptember 29, 2016
The company seemed to encourage openly deplorable and abusive behavior from it's managers. my store manager would routinely scream obscenities at his employees on the sales floor, the assistant manager would make sexist jokes in the break room, and criticized workers for taking their legally guaranteed breaks. When hired I was told there was room for advancement, and that good work was rewarded, after being hired I learned that the company had frozen wages 6 years earlier, and only gave raises when changes in the minimum wage laws forced them to. My store was closed in a corporate attempt to reduce expenses, putting 82 people out of work, but the CEO gave himself a multi-million dollar bonus.
Pros
small employee discount.
Cons
abusive managers, disposable employee attitude.
I like the people, not the company.
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 21, 2017
I really enjoyed working with my co-workers and managers, they're some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. However, the company is on a fast track downward and even with open positions in management they almost never promote from within even when a candidate is qualified. You never receive a raise with the freeze on wages. Your work is almost never rewarded as the system that they rate their employees on is a broken system that rewards working less.
This company does not value hard work.
Merchandising and Pricing Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The only good thing about this company is I was able to work and attend school as a full time student. This company values workers who will kiss up instead of those who will work hard and earn promotions. There are no benefits for part timers, no guaranteed hours, and the associates discounts were taking away. Overall, sears is one of the worse companies to work for.
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no apprecation or care for workers, especially part timers
An upbeat and competitive workplace.
Sales Associate, Tool/ Lawn & Garden Department (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 6, 2016
While working at Sears I worked consistently. Everyday was different and I learned about a new product and what it was capable of or learned something new about a tool that I was already familiar with. You get a lot of experience and training in sales and which does a lot to build overall confidence and self-esteem. You mix with very diverse coworkers. It sometimes gets hard dealing with the change of pace when the seasons change and the demand from management raises. But the pay off afterwards is very rewarding.
Pros
Good for character, Pay, Overtime
Cons
Static changes in management
Management horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 27, 2017
All they care about is getting credit card enrollments. If you cant do that you don't get hours. I recently worked there and did great getting credit, I was promised a raise and never received it. No matter how hard you work it's rare for them to congratulate you. Management made me feel like no matter what I do I do it wrong. Favoritism plays a big role as well. They wait for the last minute to do things for corporate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Horrible management
dead end, pay never goes up, health costs zoom up
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 1, 2017
Senior management has some competent and dedicated people, but the firm is controlled by someone who could care less about retail, and hopes to make money by closing stores and selling off property. Decades of overall bad management and poor marketing have chased away numerous customers. Days at work - lots of work where you don't even get minimum wage, because you work without commissions for hours sometimes when the store is closed. Sears no longer pays for mandatory training for most staff. Management includes a wide range of people, some good, some nasty and incompetent. Being on your feet for long hours and often no customers is painful. Pay is not high enough any more to cover health care costs for those eligible. Some customers are nice, as are some coworkers.
Pros
some nice people
Cons
physically hard, most jobs are dead end
Not very rewarding
MCA (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 18, 2016
Management would give their work to hourly workers and take credit for the finished project. Breaks were extremely short and you would be called in if things got busy. You were not allowed to sit or rest of any kind while you were on the floor. You were not allowed to leave at night until the store was spotless. That led to nights where I didn't get home until after 11pm. Chances for advancement or raises were slim.
Good first job
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 15, 2017
It was a great opportunity at the time but the pay is horrible and you never get raises i worked there for over a year and never recieved any raise or even talk about a raise, the hours are long the pay is horrible, but some of the people there were great. most management didnt know how to do their job. overall it would be a good first job or a high school student who doesnt have bills. Wouldnt count on a career with them though.
No Job Security
Fine Jewelry Lead (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNDecember 19, 2016
The associates I worked with were great. The company is all about metrics, namely credit apps. That's it Credit apps, if you don't reach the required amount you're fired I still don't know how many but fired anyways. Was told that if you couldn't take your lunch by a certain time clock out and work anyways, was told to create fake emails for customers to sign them up for rewards program. Called for a member of management to handle an irate customer after ten minutes no one came customer was extremely upset issue wasn't resolved. Under staffed skeleton crew and you're expected to answer phones help customers on the floor and not supposed to leave your area, a little hard to do when you are the only one there. Do not recommend working here. I unfortunately took this job over another offer, got fired 2 weeks before Christmas
Pros
Associates
Cons
All of the above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9