Sears Employee Reviews in United States

Found 12,794 reviews matching the search
lied about pay being hired
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate/Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 17, 2016
When I first was hired I was told that I would get 8.50 a hour and I did not even get my pay check until 2 months later because they did not did not do there stuff right and I told the store manager that I was told I was going to get 8.50 a hour and when I get paid I found out everybody gets paid 7.25 hours unless you are a manager so I quit I cant afford to got to work 60 miles a day 7.25 a hours working only 14 hours a week the only good thing about this job is everybody gets along there is no drama
Pros
no drama with employees
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
want workers to do the impossible
Refrigeration Tech (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2016
sears dont care about there workers,no raises,no matching 401k,unrealistic pa sales and time frames to repair appliances,sears is losing customers because they only care about warranty sales instead of putting customers first and caring about there employees,i never worked at a company were there are so many unhappy technicians.
Pros
dont have to drive your car, useing service vehicle is a plus
Cons
no raises, no matching 401k, unrealistic warranty sales
Jewelry associate
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 25, 2016
Not enough marketing very few customers, except on holidays. I learned a lot about jewelry such as what the difference between gold and gold over silver. A real diamond for a cubic. My manager at the store was very outgoing and friendly he made it his duty to see what were our thoughts what we felt needed improements and how we could better or sales. We had a very strong team of workers. The hardest part of the job was pushing sales when we had no customers.
Pros
LEARNING HOW TO SELL JEWELRY
Cons
THE STORE WENT OUT OF BUSINESS
Productive workplace with no direction.
Appliance Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2016
I have been at Sears a long time and I've seen a lot of managers come and go. The job itself is what i do enjoy, fixing appliances. The problem with sears is that there is too many directions from the managers that often causes frustration leading to a stressful work day. Once you have become a technician there isn't too many options as far as advancement. A typical day is running your own route but having to continually stop and receive calls from your manager to explain new processes that we just went over from the other manager. I learned a lot from a young age of what a hard work ethic will lead to success.
Pros
Own van, paid tools and gas.
Cons
Healthcare, pay.
Awful
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 4, 2016
This was by far the worst job I have ever had. I worked for Kmart for many years and went back thinking things had changed. The management is very unprofessional. Some of the workers only were there to collect a check. The customer service is awful. No one tried to help the customers, and it is still like that today. The cashiers were trained how to do their jobs, and they did not do it correctly. There were rules for certain people. This job is for high school students. It is not for anyone who has a family.
Pros
Clocking out
Cons
Clocking in
Grate experience to kown about how quality and cutomer service change this days
Appliance Technician (Current Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRJuly 14, 2016
Improved 100% company customer service with my experience and psychology. Without technician training every day its a big challenge. The company goals its optimize the sales contract between customer repair needs in 35 to 45 min. In my personal experience 85% the morning service its walking distance (2 miles) without work vehicle. That's because a work order destination its in the only old town in the nation with out parking place. Learn a lot about how to fix any appliance with the minimum time and minimum expense possible.
Pros
employ discount
Cons
Lower benefits
Dont trian at all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 30, 2016
Was there for all of 2 weeks and I received a total of 1 days actually training, 2 days of dealing with a manager who was also not being trained. Then was late 1 time and had been 10-15 min early every time before that, and was then told if I was late again I would be terminated. How do theny expect people to do a job you ask them to do if you don't train them or give them the tools to do the job you ask. Poor management and training, you can't just throw people out to the sharks and expect them to swim.
Pros
Cons
Over staffing sales floor, poor angry managment, no order or sense of organization.
Terrible
Merchandise and Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 22, 2016
Management looks down on the employees. No advancement, no pay raise. Don't even bother asking for a few days off, even if it's a month in advance(they will ignore your request, so don't bother making any plans). Pressure to get credit card apps (doesn't matter if you're not a cashier, flies won't even come in). Management will bully you and treat you like a child (embarrass you). Don't bother HR with any issues because they will throw you under the bus there is no "confidential discussions" A lot of favoritism and gossip. Only good thing about the job was all the running around and losing weight.
Sears Review
NJ Holdback Admin (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJuly 23, 2016
Job Duties included outbound calls and email correspondance with sears management, contractors , city halls and customer in regards to previous installations to follow up with completing state required inspections on service provided from sears. i Learned better ways to keep organized with daily task and weekly follow ups, i enjoyed the responsibility of working independtly but hardest part is i enjoy working together as a team but each team member was in charge of different lines of business.
Pros
Cons
Salary
Store manager Sears
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 14, 2016
I worked in a loss leading, part of Sears. It was a difficult beginning, but I was given a lot of freedom to make this store successful. We re merchandised the entire store, added racking in the backroom, to support machine and parts and turned a business from a loss leader to a BIG producer to the bottom line. I was recognized by a Senior VP, for my business achievements. I was relocating my family, and there was no other opportunites in the new area, with Sears,
Nice people, but too much emphasis on selling protection agreements
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAJuly 17, 2016
When a part-timer outsells all the rest of the full-time staff over black Friday weekend, and then gets axed on Monday because they didn't sell enough protection agreements, I think that says something about the working culture. Other than that, working there was fairly enjoyable and both my co-workers and the majority of the customers that I encountered were nice.
Pros
Pretty much determined my own schedule. Usually, food was provided on days like Black Friday.
Cons
no benefits for part-timers
Dont bother just do yourself a favor
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXJuly 4, 2016
this was my first job and when i got hired i was happy , the first few months it was all good but then everything went down hill , they expect you to have a unrealistic amount of credit daily and if not they are on your back for the whole shift , as well as with their dumb rewards that are over the top stupid , the management is very careless , they will cut your hours if you dont get credit , poor pay and expect you to do other peoples jobs , wouldnt recomend it to anyone
Pros
the co workers
Cons
30 min break, you wont get your 15 min break, terrible management, unrealistic credit goals, unstable hours and schedule
Professional Shop with Great Staff
Express Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 26, 2016
Even though I was just and Express service Technician, I loved going into work each day and I loved my co-workers. The staff there are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work along side with. The manager and assistant manager both know what they are doing and do it well. I had no problems with them and how they wanted to run the shop. They helped to ensure that every customer left out shop happy. I loved being able to work on cars each day and I was always being taught new things on different vehicles.
Pros
Co-Workers, Management, Work Schedule
Cons
members of sears would get together and have fun events.
WAREHOUSE LEAD STOCKING PROCESSING (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 24, 2016
merchandise pickup is very business and we as a team get things done as a member of the warehouse t learned about stocking merchandise pulling orders shipping orders customer service . my co-workers was a great help to me they made my job less stressful and more enjoyable. there are times we would get heavy products with no room for them but as a team we made room.management was great because we as a team got things done.
Pros
management would treat us to lunch as a team.
Cons
sears has good benefits
Fast changing retail environment
Assistant Store Manager Brand Central (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2016
Sears is a place where members always come first and through our values we strive for operational excellence while driving profitable sales. I have learned through the years how to weigh out tough situations and make a decision that is both right for the member and the profitability of the business unit. Sears is a great place to get to know your co-workers and build strong relationships. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the member smile with satisfaction that we have given them the best in-store experience possible from start to finish.
Basic Stepping Stone
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 9, 2016
Started off at the very bottom as a cashier and managed to work my way up to sales consultant working on commission sales and was able to further work up to merchandising and pricing associate.

For high school graduate or even part time for college students this is a decent stepping stone to get some working experience. While the pay is not superb nor are the benefits, it gives you the opportunity to gather some experience so you can move to other places.
Great atmosphere, great coworkers.
Assistant Manager Elect. Dept. (Former Employee) –  Mcallen, TxJuly 11, 2016
This store was a joy to work for, from the management team to the part timers, the atmosphere in the store was always positive. I'm very much a people person and very outgoing, so the most enjoyable part of my day is the interactions I'd have with either customers or coworkers. Hardest part of the job there would have to have been trying to convince the customer to take the warranties for their electronics. But, with better training, I'm sure I could've done a better job.
Pros
Huge customer base, great prices.
Work Life
MCA (Current Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYJuly 13, 2016
A typical day for me began with doing what we call " fill floor". Fill floor is when you going into the system using a device that shows what needs to be restocked. I also clean my area and others if needed to give the ultimate customer experience, making everything easily findable and organized. My co-workers and I had shared responsibility of those tasks and worked really well together. The hardest part of my job may have been working alone most days in such a huge part of the store.... the best part was the satisfaction I get when all things are completed at the end of day knowing I was alone,
Perfect JOB!!!
Cashier, MCA (Former Employee) –  Dickson City, PAJuly 15, 2016
This job was challenging because of customers, but it was fast paced and very exciting, no day was the same and there was always something new happening. Management was exceptional, worked with your schedule and really cared about their employees. Your day was full of cleaning up after customers, jumping on a register to help out and then back to straightening up the racks of clothes.
Pros
Great pay, great people working there, no day was ever the same
Cons
I can't think of one
It was a great job
Appliance manager (Former Employee) –  North Windham, CTJuly 17, 2016
I loved working at Sears I would still be there if it didn't close. I along with my team helped the store make a 11% increase from last year in sales, unfortunately it wasn't enough and they closed the store and sold the property. We actually were awarded for our sale increase upon other things. We didn't get benefits because we were a privately owned Sears store. Other then that I had a great experience at Sears.
Pros
Commission, atmosphere
Cons
No benefits, and the store closed.

2.9