Sears
6,359 reviews

Sears Employer Reviews

Very Busy
Cashier (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2014
Pros: nice co workers, full breaks
Cons: slow schedule updates
There are many a dead time spaces where you can either fold towels or help hang up new merchandise but when behind a register, be quick the after 5 crowd builds momentum quickly and lines become unbearable
Awesome place to work until...
Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, MDApril 15, 2014
Pros: pay, schedule, coworkers
Cons: pretty much everything else
When they switched managers to surrounding locations, this store died in many ways. There was a server cut in hours even for associates that had been there for YEARS!
Customer Service Rep
CSR (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 15, 2014
Answered incoming calls from customers regarding problems with their appliances.
Worst work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: paid vacation hours.
Cons: you are working on straight commission and the hours are awful.
There is a horrible work environment. Employees are always fighting amongst themselves over sales.
They make you answer customer complaint calls which are time consuming and end up making you lose sales to the others available on the sales floor.
You have to work on pretty much every holiday.
Hard to get days off especially holidays.
Unappreciated
Social Media Manager (Former Employee), Round Rock, TXApril 15, 2014
Cons: pay rate; benefits too expensive
Simply very disappointed; after nearly 10 years with the company felt betrayed; pay rate increases are only given to selected employees which I think is completely unacceptable.....
down spiraling company
protool specialist (Current Employee), cleveland, ohApril 14, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything.
Leads and management don't know their butts from the hole in the ground. Mgrs make you feel dumber after talking to them

CEO blows and has no direction for the company. Kills morale for whole team.

No advancement in company. Anytime they post a position they already know who is going to get the position .

I feel like I work in a daycare with people – more... always watching you

Overall company sucks – less
The job was great but the management wasn't the best.
CASHIER (Former Employee), McHenry, ILApril 14, 2014
It was a god job to have while going to school. I learned how to work in a retail environment.
company is enjoyable to work for
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDApril 14, 2014
company is enjoyable to work for. overall positive experience
Busy workplace
Cashier, Part-Time (Current Employee), Erie, PAApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work was busy. There was always something to do. Even on days where there weren't many customers in the store you would see employees cleaning and organizing things throughout the store. I learned a lot about customer service and running the register. I have great coworkers who make each day go by a little bit faster and are always – more... willing to lend a hand to anyone who needs help. The hardest part of working at Sears is that its a retail job and sometimes you come across a not so happy customer and you have to do whatever possible to make this customer happy while maintaining a smile even if they are yelling at you. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you do come across that one customer who is the sweetest person ever and makes you day 10x better without even realizing it. – less
It's like they don't care
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bismarck, NDApril 14, 2014
You will work more hours than you'd think for almost nothing and at the end of the week accomplish almost nothing.
Nice place
Tech 1 (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 14, 2014
Pros: you get regular hours so you maintain your home life.
Cons: we worked off commission. hard to maintain your family that way.
Sears was a nice place to work. Kind of working at a plant. It was cool learning all the different cars and the specialty needed to properly complete the job.
Too Much Focus On Metrics
Merchandise and Pricing Lead, Hardlines (Former Employee), Bartlesville, OKApril 14, 2014
Pros: the associates
Cons: pay, management, stress.....basically everything
Worked there for over 5 years. In the last 18 months its all been a snowball. Constant writeups for things that are not control of the associate. Push the metrics but do nothing to get the customer(Member) in the door. Upper management is at such a disconnect its unreal. They think if its on paper in black and white then that is the reality. They take – more... no consideration for whats actually happening in the store. Give you one set of numbers to meet, then change it a short time later. Its never good enough.
My store in particular they took Salesfloor associates and promoted them straight to ASM. They then expected the Leads to train the ASM's. I was on my 6th store manager and 5th District Manager in 5 and a half years when I left.
There is no stability, you cannot get a store back on track with constant change like that. I watched the DM run many good managers off by Intimidation, Bullying, and just outright meanness, with no repurcussions at all. Salary does not constitute Slavery. Yet in his head, i guess it does.
Sears has basically become a Real Estate Investment company because the Retail side cannot keep it afloat. Hence Fast Eddie selling or spinning it off piece by piece. – less
Work Day
Backroom Associate (Former Employee), Milford, CTApril 14, 2014
-Unloaded freight trucks.
-Processed store items for floor sale.
-Made sure warehouse was neat and clean after work day.
Good in environment, lots of team building
Retail Installation Sales (Offline) (Current Employee), Tempe, AZApril 14, 2014
On a given day there is a lot to learn about the business of Delivery and installation. The work day is always filled with consistent pace. On going updates to improve the customer service. There is a new computer system introduce frequently. Manager are very encouraging always supportive. Co-workers are very positive about the work place, but we manage – more... to have fun here and there. The hardest part of the job is paying attention to the details. Rallys for best employee of the month. – less
Great advancement opportunities
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee), Oakdale, CAApril 13, 2014
Pros: advancement
Cons: short breaks
Was easily able to move from a stockman to a supervisor. The pay was not too great though
stress free work place
Material Handler (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 13, 2014
A typical night at work is unload four DDC trucks. I like working at sears cause it gave me the opportunity to transfer to a new state.
Educational
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sterling Heights, MIApril 13, 2014
Pros: employee appreciation lunches, co-workers
Cons: insurance, freeze on raises, not enough room to grow in the company itself
I would greet customers and assist them with items they may be seeking in store or online. I'd clean fitting rooms, setup/take down the sales ad, straighten the merchandise on the floor, as well as restock what needed to be on the floor. If there was a long line at the cash register and I wasn't busy, I'd help out on the registers. Occasionally, I would – more... set up visual displays. Also, I was responsible for training new employees.

I learned how to market customers through visual displays of color and the merchandise depending on the season and current trends. I also learned how organization, sizing of clothing, and space can make a difference for customers shopping experience.

Some members on management were very effective in their line of duties. When communication and team work was needed to tackle a task, management was good with assisting with that. However, there were some members of management who cared more about saving themselves and didn't care too much about the employees' concerns or best interests.

I can honestly say that I while I was working at Sears, I worked with some pretty amazing people. My co-workers were great individuals; I loved them all!

The hardest part of the job was trying to work with the managers who didn't want to be there. It created a very frustrating environment for the employees as well as the customers. Overall, the hardest part of probably any job, is keeping your personal frustrations to yourself and not let them affect your work ethic.

The most enjoyable part was being able to help customers, meet new people or customers, and establish relationships with regular customers. – less
Good Experience
Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cumberland, MDApril 13, 2014
Learned to work with customers on the phone and in person, sold electronics and worked in customer service
only concern is the money
HVAC and Appliance repair Technician (Current Employee), Medford ORApril 13, 2014
Cons: health care beneifits suck, and they only care about the money margine you can make them, sorry i ever worked here.
integratiy mademe leave this position, mine is higher then theirs. Manager only cares how her numbers look. Training is a joke.
Easy-going job and easy to learn things
Jewlery sales Consultant (Current Employee), Brooklyn Center, MNApril 13, 2014
Pros: 30-minute breaks, give hours
Cons: no benefits, low compensation
Sears,
Is a very good job for first-time job doers. You learn how to be professional and responsible with the job. It is great for young energetic people to make sale goals and development.

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more