Sears Employee Reviews in United States

Found 12,799 reviews matching the search
Enjoyed what I did, but not enough hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJuly 21, 2016
I learned quite a bit training on the computer for all aspects of my job. When I was given work, I enjoyed my day with customers and co-workers. The most rewarding part was assisting customers with opening a credit card. The hardest part was not being compensated for each credit card. You had to meet a quota.
Pros
A lot of training while getting paid.
Cons
Morale was not as good as it could have been, This was due to some unprofessionalism from one of the managers.
productive place to work
Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJune 27, 2016
fun enviorment place to work at /regintion on a monthly basic always have a opputunity to move up to the gate/good part about this job you get commission free lunches on weekends/the hardest part rude customers/co workers are mostly easy to get along with team great team work/management somethings are always changing for the better at sears management always awards their team for good work/learned how to deal with all different type of customers/a typical day at sears you have to be very aggressive some times dealing with the rudeness
Pros
free lunches on some weekends
Cons
15 mins break
Very strong with customer service and sells there product and is there for there customers.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAJuly 11, 2016
I loved going to work every day here. It was a great first time job while I was in high school and also starting college. There very accommodating and all managmeet was very welcoming and had a fun time working while knowing when to be serious. Take pride in the product they sell to everyone and always very comforting to others when coming in and having issues, or looking for specific products.
Pros
Very family and friend oriented and love going to work.
Cons
Hard labor for not good pay, and long hours with no notice.
productive workplace, a great environment
Techniacal Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2016
Sears was a fun environment to be in, i learned a lot about appliances and what you can do to fix them. My training teachers were great, they showed me how to be professional when on phone with customers. The co-workers were real easy to get along with but the hardest part about the job was to get as many avoids as possible, although it was a little hard at the beginning i started getting the hang of it. I would love to get the opportunity to work there again.
Pros
You get noticed when you get great call scores.
Cons
Short breaks
Jewelry associate
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 25, 2016
Not enough marketing very few customers, except on holidays. I learned a lot about jewelry such as what the difference between gold and gold over silver. A real diamond for a cubic. My manager at the store was very outgoing and friendly he made it his duty to see what were our thoughts what we felt needed improements and how we could better or sales. We had a very strong team of workers. The hardest part of the job was pushing sales when we had no customers.
Pros
LEARNING HOW TO SELL JEWELRY
Cons
THE STORE WENT OUT OF BUSINESS
Professional Shop with Great Staff
Express Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 26, 2016
Even though I was just and Express service Technician, I loved going into work each day and I loved my co-workers. The staff there are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work along side with. The manager and assistant manager both know what they are doing and do it well. I had no problems with them and how they wanted to run the shop. They helped to ensure that every customer left out shop happy. I loved being able to work on cars each day and I was always being taught new things on different vehicles.
Pros
Co-Workers, Management, Work Schedule
Company on the Demise
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJuly 28, 2016
Sears is on the demise and is a high risk company to join. If you accept a job here, just be aware that you could be on the search again soon given their overall poor performance as a company.

The CEO is not at all visible and is not located on site in IL. This makes understanding priorities, goals, mission, etc. extremely challenging to understand, so many days you will be doing task that may lead to nothing.

Overall, most VP level leaders are poor, or not qualified for the high level title.

Future is one of fear, chaos and gloom and doom.

The overall pay was good, but never received a bonus. (no one did)

The campus is aesthetically very nice.
Pros
Good pay, nice campus
Cons
Risk of losing job high, poor leadership at all levels, CEO not present
Productive and fun place to work, overall.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work entailed operating the cash register, greeting and assisting customers, preparing for sales, keeping the department tidy and clean, and providing a positive shopping experience for the customers.

I learned to balance work, home life, and a second (supplemental) job, and that it was no easy task.

Management was often aloof, but the co-workers were fun to work with and made up the difference. Working with the two ladies in my department was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Again, working with the two ladies in my department who kept me laughing.
Cons
The lack of concern from our management.
Enjoyable work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 14, 2016
The time flies if you have something to keep you busy, the business is typically slow so it's a low pressure job experience. I learned how to deal with all different kinds of customers and how to deliver a "wow" experience to all customers. I also learned how to push promotions. My co-workers were all positive people who strived to do the best they could. They were all eager to help me succeed. The hardest part of the job was pushing promotions but the most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with my coworkers and management and helping customers.
Pros
Breaks are garunteed, great work environment, positive atmosphere, great communication
Cons
no job benefits, only part time hire
Commission sales of Electronic and Large Appliances
Sales (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 14, 2016
I work as a sales associate with a great group of people. There were only five of us in the department and we were a close group. We worked well together and we also tried to do activates together outside of work. I was responsible for posting the current ad prices and then filled in with sales. I was also in charge of sending items back to the manufacture that had been returned or damaged.
Pros
Great group of co workers!
Cons
I can't remember if they had benefits or not.
I have learned a lot from this company.
DC Department Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 13, 2016
Overall pretty good place to work, there are some issues with Tier 1 associates that push the boundaries and revel in the good old days. Most of my direct reports are great. This company has given me the needed experience to move into upper management roles and I have learned much in the positions I have held with this company.
Pros
Good teamwork between departments.
Cons
Pay is higher if you don't come from hourly positions, but those who come from outside do not last as long as those who were promoted from within.
productive workplace during holidays as well as summer season,
Warehouse Receiving Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJune 12, 2016
when available hours are in effect , work is great at sears. there is opportunity to learn various work experiences , when management allows it to be so.
Pros
allowed certain freedom to get work accomplished, without the distractions.
Cons
accisional distraction of work by management or other associates, to assist with other duties when i am busy getting work completed.
Terrible management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 8, 2016
I worked here for 1 month as a cashier and the management was terrible. They were hiring tons of cashiers and were under going new management because the main manager quit. Any ways, I was aware that so many people were quitting but I didn't exactly know why, until I experienced at first hand how terrible the managers are their. Within a month at least 4 people quit including 2 managers and 2 cashiers. Anyways, wouldn't recommend working here unless you like getting scolded for not selling sears credit cards and getting emails from people. And the cash registers are really old and slow it was a terrible experience overall.
Pros
30 minute lunches, good morning hours
Cons
Terrible management, mean people, old school cash registers
An Emotional Rollercoaster
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJune 10, 2016
If you want to work with a company where the leadership knows your name, this is not the place for you. They are a large company in the process of a turnaround. Because of their position, they expect a lot out of their remaining associates.

While I was initially well compensated when hired, you cannot expect regular raises or bonuses.

Because the company is in a tailspin, the daily environment can be stressful. It is, after all, hard to maintain good morale when layoffs happen regularly. That being said, I had good direct managers who were conscious of maintaining good work/life balance.
Nothing good to say
minion (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 8, 2016
It pays the bills. If you get your paycheck and they didn't mess it up. It simply seems as though this company is failing and has no idea how to stop its downward momentum. Everything I have seen them do to change things has struck as being the most backwards solutions ever. I do not have a MBA. So perhaps my opinion is moot. But it pays the bills. If your willing to deal with the enormous headache. They will work you to death and do everything they can to not pay you for it.
Pros
Pays bills
Cons
Barely pays bills for hours worked
poor pay, manager of the week culture.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJuly 26, 2016
This is not the sears your parents had. The pay was poor and all pay incentives are based on how many overpriced add ons you can sell to the customer. I could lead the district in sales, but still get a poor review so that the pay structure would not increase. you will work on "black-out" dates. this is every holiday and any "sale" they have, your vacation plans are non existent because of this.
Pros
not much
Cons
poor pay poor management
Ok job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
This job was very difficult to manage at times, and sometimes required you to pick up more task than need be. Management was very poor, and communication lacked also. This job reminded me of High school with all the gossip and rumors. The other team members were ok and made working here a little less stressful. There is a noticeable favoritism of culture and racial background.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Lack of hours, racial favoritism, short breaks, rude customers, poor management
Not a good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 7, 2016
I worked at Sears for a little over a year and it wasn't a good experience at all. I was a cashier for women's soft lines and even though the customer interactions were fine, it was management that was the problem. You have no chance of advancing with this company. They offer you very low pay and expect more work. Management didn't communicate with the employees and if they did it was only about credit card sales. They have no regard for your schedule either.
Pros
Employee discount was ok
Cons
Poor management, boring shifts, short lunch breaks
Low activity, sour environment
Meeting Planner (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJuly 11, 2016
If a client doesn't call or email during the day there is no work and with everything being done internally there typically is no work. Thought I would get a lot more than I have out of this job at such a big company. Unfortunately, I have not. Unstable positions. People come to work just to come, nobody enjoys being here.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Short breaks, no raises, bad management, low activity, uncomfortable practices.
Sinking ship company
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJuly 27, 2016
Very tense environment since the company is struggling. Workers being laid off left and right. They don't have enough cashiers to service customers. They give a boat load of hours to commissioned only employees and expect them to perform tasks they're not willing to pay others to do. Managers are constantly in fear of their job.
Pros
lots of hours for commission only employees
Cons
less and less customers shopping at Sears

2.9