Sears
9,353 reviews

Sears Employer Reviews

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers
Central Aisle Cashier Lead (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILMarch 29, 2015
Get credit card applications or lose your job, Ask every customer 20 questions or lose your job. The company is not customer friendly but numbers friendly. Milk every customer for credit lines and rewards programs even if it means waiting in long lines for other customers.
Enthusiastic trainers and good benefits.
Call Center Representantive (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMarch 29, 2015
Answered phone calls from customers with questions regarding their Sears appliances. This company offered training for all associates to prepare us to help customers more effectively. Would have enjoyed more hands-on training with the appliances themselves rather than designating all the time to learning how to handle the phone systems.
Enthusiastic management, pleasant co-workers. Work schedule was set upon being hired so we didn't have to guess what our shift would be week to week.
Performance based awards given monthly in a party-type atmosphere. It was a bit competitive as winning these awards gave the recipients first pick for their work schedule.
Great, professional setting
To assist (Former Employee), Kanawha city, WVMarch 29, 2015
Ownership leads by example and works twice the hours as the upper management. Showed the ups and downs of the industry and pushed into the proper direction.
Lots of Learning!
ASSOCIATE DESIGNER (Former Employee), New York Design OfficeMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Great learning experience
Cons: overwhelming at times
I learned so much at Sears and had a lot of ownership over the product at a young age!

Very organized calendar and clear tech pack process.
Employees are great fun
Merchandising Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Arlington, TXMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Employee parties
Cons: Benefits do not cover much.
This was a minimum wage job with little chance to advance. However they had great employee discounts. They have a small benefits package.
Great Place and Challenging
Sales Associate/Retail (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCMarch 29, 2015
Pros: hour lunch breaks, friendly enviornment
Cons: Patience is a definite key to surviving
Wonderful place to work at. Meet all kinds of people and learn how to adapt to patient needs. Great Co-workers and friendly Staff. Possibly the most consistent and steady paced job i have ever worked at.
Blah job
Cashier (Former Employee), Rockaway, NJMarch 28, 2015
It was blah. No room for moving up at the store, was relocated within first week to somewhere further away, made no more money, worked less time. Not worth it.
sears
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Randolph, MAMarch 28, 2015
They are a good company, but never knowing when you are getting home was hard, very long days. no real time to get your van in proper order to find iteams for job.
Nice place to work
Merchandise and Customer Assistant (Former Employee), Milford, CTMarch 28, 2015
Nice place to work at. co-workers were nice to work with, always joking around and having good conversation while getting the work done.
Fast paced workplace with lots of customer interaction.
Security Supervisor, Internal Auditor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Store and Concession shop discounts
Cons: Healthcare was too expensive
Investigate internal theft of merchandise and monies, credit card fraud, and inventory shortages.
Learned how to operate CCTV, how to maintained OSHA standards within the working environment, and how to maintain a safe working area for cutovers and employees.
Worked with people of a wide age range and cultural backgrounds. Every one of my co-workers had something different to offer the company.
The most difficult part of the job was doing external apprehensions because it takes a lot of time, patience, and focus to follow the company policy on shoplifting.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the work I was doing was helping to keep our customers safe.
Not a long term job
Back Room Lead (Current Employee), Clifton Heights, PAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: pay is not good, won't give you full time hours
No growth with this company, this is not a place that you want to get comfortable with. No raises in eight years! District Managers are very unprofessional.
great job
Stock & Recieving Associate (Former Employee), SaugusMarch 28, 2015
Cons: inconsistent hours
stock and recieve unload and load trucks etc i would do mpu which is merchandise pick up custer service as well i enjoyed here cause i use my hands and do physicall work which i prefer but i like to work period
Easy part time job, good for a student.
Consultative Sales Associate - Home Improvement (Former Employee), Mankato, MNMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Great flexibility - came in handy for a college job.
Cons: Very low starting pay, years-long wage freeze, Store management is sparse leading to very little coverage/support to staff.
This job was relatively easy and Sears exhibits pretty good flexibility in working hours. It's a decent side or student part-time job. Other than that, it's really a good place to steer clear from. Store coverage is stretched very thin from both associates' and management perspective. Wages are low and frozen that way. Virtually no possibility of climbing the ladder.
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Paramus, NJMarch 28, 2015
A typical work day at sears is usually fast paced. I learned to be extra patient with people and customers. My supervisor and coworkers were very down to earth. The hardest part of the job is multitasking when the store is very busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have been a great hep to each and every customer.
POOR CORP/MANGMENT DECISIONS
(PMT) Preventative Maintenance (Former Employee), Milford, CT.March 27, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: find a better job
Sears does not give any benefits unless u buy in yourself, no competitive wages as it says, over work you and you need to buy your own clothes, what they call a uniform.
Great hard working people
Assistant Buyer for Footwear and Mattresses (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: People who care for the business and each other
Cons: Benefits and long hours of work
Run daily reports, Review sales with team and talk about what needs to be accomplished for the day. Team works well with each other and is cross function to help accomplish daily goals. I am in charge of marketing, pricing and signing for the mattress team.
This was not a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fond du Lac, WIMarch 27, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: Everything
My typical day at work was opening the jewelry department, counting the drawer and then taking inventory of the jewelry that went in the cases. The management could have been better. The co workers were not friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were not happy and the most enjoyable there wasn't any
productive team members
Hardlines Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta GeorgiaMarch 27, 2015
Pros: long time dedicated employees
Cons: No one in the corporate office cared about the people in the stores.
The work environment was always great. The job was easy however made stressful. Weekly you would have the District Manager come in and you always had to change something to his liking. If I work in a store for 22 days out of the month and you visit for 4 days out of the month, you would think I know my customers and what they like. I liked the old Kmart where you had to think outside the box and do your own merchandising. Things changed drastically and so did the people.
Family friendly and flexible!
Assistant Manager Hardlines (Current Employee), Greece, NYMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Great supportive management and associates! The true example of .....TEAM!
Cons: Salary is a little low but the culture compensates that.
Every day is different with its own unique challenges and rewards! Customers can be demanding but there is always a solution when you listen. Management is always supportive and will advocate for both the consumer and associate finding a balanced solution. There is a very strong family type of morale! Each associate supports the others creating a fun and comfortable work environment. I love creating the best possible customer and associate experiences! Difficulty is that every person can't be pleased every time regardless of all efforts.
I enjoyed my time at Sears and learned a lot in my time.
National Manager, Product Knowledge & Selling (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule
Cons: Lack of direction and focus
Schedules were flexible, they didn't care about the hours you worked as long as you got your job done. It was very common to be taken off one project and put on another, causing you to re-prioritize your schedule and turn on a dime. I learned a lot about content design and development. I have made great friendships in my time. The most difficult part of the job was the constant change of direction, your priorities could change from day to day. I was also a member of the planning team for our yearly convention. I enjoyed that the most.

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more

Sears Salaries