Sears

10.7K reviews

Sears Employee Reviews

Proving families with lasting memories.
Photographer (Former Employee), Columbus, GAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people, learned new photography techniques, and life long friend.
Cons: Limited room to advance, low pay scale, and no real back-up plan for absenteeism.
Meeting new clients on a daily basis was a given, however, the experience was never mundane. There was always something new to do with every single subject I photographed. In essence I believe I learned from most of them something positive that I would later incorporate in my growing photography skills.
Most times the work load was intense due to the lack of participation of the two managers stepping – more... in to ease the line but I got used to that after about six months. I wanted to learn more about photography and customer service, so stayed for three years and overcame the challenges and by injecting positive team work, I compelled the managers to take a proactive approach on the floor. Truthfully I can say that I’ve remained friends with one of those managers after being gone for over twenty years. – less
TERRIBLE
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Salem, ORAugust 25, 2015
Pros: none
I have worked there for over 6 years and no one has ever got a raise unless minimum wage went up. They do not care about their employees at all. Everyone is replaceable in their eyes which causes them to lose the good and knowledgable employees. That is why the service is so terrible. Poorly trained staff. It is actually embarassing. Don't waste your time working here, I don't see this company lasting much longer with all the stores closing every year.
I have enjoyed my/our newest management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Round Rock, TXAugust 25, 2015
My own personal experience and review is impertinent to the idea of myself looking for better opportunities. I can do better with what I have; I have no need to leave anytime soon but with my colleagues doing so and I am just as much a candidate or better to proceed in any career, I have no reason to not explore other endeavors.
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), TexasAugust 25, 2015
Pros: busy
Cons: rate
It was a busy place but it was a fun place to work. The management was nice and I learned a lot working over there. The management was very supportive especially when I decided to go back to school.
Fun place to work with great potential for monthly bonus
Lead Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee), ChaysworthAugust 25, 2015
Pros: A lot of fun
Cons: Short breaks & not enough appreciation lunches
I would recommend this place for the training program & experience. I learned many sales techniques and customer values.
Fun employees, but the job was not fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grand Forks, NDAugust 25, 2015
The culture here was very friendly and easy to get used to. Employees were helpful and kind. The job itself was not very exciting or fun and their was not much room for advancement so I had to move on.
Great coworkers.
Backroom Associate (Current Employee), Portland OregonAugust 25, 2015
Nobody wants to get yelled at, so when you page for a manager no one really shows up or they all assume someone else is going to get it. When one person in the backroom gets lazy, it throws everything out of sync.
Great job to start with and felt like a second family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Humble, TXAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at sears driving school was greeting the students as they walked into the classroom and checking attendance. If there was a test I would be the one to grade them or administer the eye exam and sign up students by accepting payments plus putting the money into the safe.
good place to work
Assistant Store Manager in Hardlines (Former Employee), Midland, MIAugust 25, 2015
 Responsible for performance with customers, associates, sales and profitability
 Manage, Lead and coach his/her selling organization to maximize our customers’ shopping experience
 Responsible to manage, lead, and coach the consultative selling organization to support the selling process
Overall fairly simple tasks
Soft lines Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Midland, TXAugust 25, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: company goals are set high but not much training available
specific location I worked was always understaffed so that made the job a little frustrating at times.
seems like a good company to work for long term
needs better management and maintenance
Okay, easy job... better with great people
Cashier / Fine Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee), Niles, OHAugust 24, 2015
Pros: The people, management
Cons: sales goals, no commission in jewelry department
I was fortunate that the people I worked with were awesome. However the goals they wanted you to meet everyday were a little ridiculous.
Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Merriam, KSAugust 24, 2015
Worked there when it was K-mart and was wonderful with all the managers I worked with before they switched things over to Sears Grand, different managers that didn't know what they were doing or wouldn't allow schedule change as they give the new person the schedule you were wanting, so glad I got out of there when I did and I wasn't surprised when it shut down do to lack of customers since they changed the name and product.
Good place to start Loss Prevention
Loss Prevention Lead (Current Employee), Escondido, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Good work culture
Cons: Pay increases
It was a good place to work and pick up Loss Prevention skills. Loss Prevention training classes were seldom and not given as frequent as they should. Chances of growing in the company was infrequent.
nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lake Jackson, TXAugust 24, 2015
nice place to work enjoyed all the team members management was always willing to help out nothing else to say about this job nothing else to say
Fast Paced Sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WI & Green Bay, WIAugust 24, 2015
Great co-workers and management.
Enjoyed helping clients with their shopping needs to find their perfect fit.
What I learned and valued most was working with a diverse client population.
A typical day involved helping meet the needs of clients, re-set of the sales floor during down times, anticipating inventory needs
its been over 20 years since I worked there, this job is just a blur at the present time.
Retail sales and service (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 24, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
I really don't remember to much about Sears, it's been over 15 years since I worked there, I know tho that I liked my daily work hours and the location of the store where I worked.
Great place, great team
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILAugust 24, 2015
Sears Holding is a great company to work for. Very respectful towards work/life balance. Team work is huge here and teams work very well with each other. Everyone here is very helpful and drive towards success together.
A day at work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2015
A typical day at work meant being around people and making sure that everyone needs are met. The managers at this company were the best managers I have ever had. They made sure that every employee had a good day.
Productive place to work at while being comfortable with coworkers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Niles, ILAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Flexibility for breaks, constant moving, socially friendly environment
Cons: heavy appliances, a lot of paper work, short lunch breaks
Typically I would start at the main desk. I would usually start by picking up phone calls and greeting customers with a smile as soon as they would enter the store.

I've learned that you can make any environment into a healthy, productive and a enjoyable place by having a positive attitude at all times.

My co workers were very cooperative and helpful. This improved me alot! The hardest part was to ask customers to buy a warranty with their purchased appliances and most did not, which led to returns and double shifts for customer service.
Coworkers was the only good thing about Sears.
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houma, LAAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Fun job.
Cons: Recently cut pay.
Bad management and Corporate. They recently cut pay so if you worked there for a living there is no way to make it anymore.
Headquarters