Seattle's Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews

Working at Seattle's Union Gospel Mission
Cook Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2017
I love working in the food service industry, and feeding those who are hungry and like a good well balanced meal just makes me happy. The time in preparing and then serving means a lot when serving someone. Since I work at a Men's Shelter I miss the professional co-workers who work as a team. In the shelter I teach the Men differant knife cuts, how to prepare what is on the menu for dinner. Working is well once you come in and get started, but you have a team to work with, deliveries, donations, and also volunteers all in a days work. What I like is when people come up to you and say the food was good and thank you for all that you do
Very open atmosphere and caring people
Pass (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMay 26, 2017
SUGM is a great place to work. They care about people and they encourage you and provide great opportunities to workers, and those in need. They have a great purpose.
Pros
Flex-time and they care
Cons
not anything right now
Great Organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 18, 2016
Wonderful experience, the culture needs some adjusting though. I loved my job and team. Loved my job there! The daily routines were nice and I loved being able to meet people who love their work. The culture of the mission needs some changes, but I know the staff is working to make Seattle's Union Gospel Mission worth working for.
Benefits
Homelessness Social Service Agency
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2016
If you want to learn more about those who are under-resourced in our communities and be part of their lives or those who find themselves homeless, volunteer with the Mission or come invest yourself for a period of time. The homeless are not unlike ourselves.
Great people with great mission statement
Donor Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of office like daily routines. Checking emails and answering phone calls. Through my time at UGM, I learned skills to help aid my in a future career in Social Work, Management, or Human Services.
Pros
Great Benefits for a non-profit
Cons
Bad office space
Unhealthy place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2016
What this organization does is wonderful for the homeless community and the people they are serving. Unfortunately, they are abusive to their employees. Low pay, not enough staff on duty for the number of people they work with. The executive team cares more about donors than the staff or the people they serve.
Pros
Serving people in need and a great health care plan
Cons
Dysfunction at highest levels of leadership
You can't require someone to be Christian to work for you in WA
Job Applcant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 24, 2016
Check out the statement of faith you have to agree to. Christians only. I don't care if it's a church, that's wrong of them, and illegal.
Transformation
Clerk/Leader (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 7, 2014
UGM took me in, while in my mess, and nursed me back to health and prosperity.
Pros
Free Room and Board
Cons
Having to Deal with Personal Stuff
Amazing Mission
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2014
I had the privilege to work as a summer intern on behalf of people in the Mission's addiction recovery programs. Their office handles a wide variety of legal matters and can provide life-changing results for clients in the midst of addiction recovery.
Organization with a heart for the most vulnerable
Children's Ministry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 8, 2013
It was a joy to work for an organization so committed to the poor and hurting. As the Children's Ministry Coordinator for 6 years it was a pleasure to create a safe space for children during out-of-school time. Equally vital as academic mentoring, enrichment activities and mentoring for the youth were the relationships I was able to develop with the families. I immensely enjoyed connecting with them and finding ways to provide resources and support for them as they (often with meager resources) worked to provide a great home for their children. It was a privilege to be a part of an organization with such a demonstrated and love and commitment to children.
Great place with great people, and a great goal!
Audio Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 27, 2013
Such an inspiring place to be. I enjoyed working with them to design a great recording studio.
Review
Guest Relations Host (Former Employee) –  Seatte, WAAugust 6, 2012
This place is a wonderful place to stretch your humiliy, practice your social skills and communicable skills
Pros
free lunch, dinner, breakfast, opprotunities for improvement
Cons
n/a