Are you a Leader? Do you believe in Cooperation?
Are you personally governed by the following principles?
The 7 Cooperative Principles
Principle #1 (Inclusive): Membership Should Be Open To All
Principle #2 (Voice): Members Should Call The Shots
Principle #3 (Benefit): Rates & Fees Should Benefit Our Members
Principle #4 (Independent): Autonomy & Independence Set Us Apart
Principle #5 (Education): Financial Education Should Be Free & Available To All
Principle #6 (Cooperation): Cooperation Among Cooperatives Is Vital
Principle #7 (Community): Giving Back To The Community Is An Obligation
If any of those sound like you, you might very well make a fabulous addition to the SMCU Cooperative! SMCU is a growing organization and our mission statement is: We help members achieve their financial goals to realize their dreams. At SMCU, it is our employees who truly make us a success. After all, it is our staff members who directly provide the excellent service our membership expects and deserves.
Please visit https://www.smcu.com/about/employment.html to see a full job description, benefits summary and to learn more about the credit union. Also, find out a little more about the culture of organization by visiting the following sites, http://www.7principles.coop/ and http://opcoop.coop/.
Your role as the Controller at SMCU will be to provide leadership to the Accounting team and manage all accounting functions for the Credit Union. In addition, you will ensure the timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements and other management information. As well as support the CFO in ALM, investing functions and other special projects as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepare monthly management reports using an efficient closing process and providing analytical support.
- Oversee all aspects of accounting to ensure compliance with GAAP, tax and other regulatory rules and internal policies.
- Research complex accounting issues, providing direction to management as n cessary.
- Supervise the Accounting Manager; including hiring, training, reviewing, scheduling and other administrative duties. Oversees staff training and development to ensure a qualified and professional staff to meet the future needs of the Credit Union.
- Responsible for the annual budget process and strategic plan financial projections.
- Assist in the design, development and implementation of required accounting systems, procedures and controls.
- Prepares and delegates special projects requested by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Develops and assures strong supportive relationships with all departments and branches to ensure mutual cooperation and problem solving.
- Assists outside auditors and state examiners by providing information and analysis as needed.
- Supports, and promotes Credit Union products and services.
- Holds monthly staff meetings to communicate schedules and objectives and promote quality service to internal and external clients.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Indirect exposure to robbery.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment. May be required to attend off-hours and off-site meetings and seminar.
- May require some overtime work and travel.
- Physical effort may be required to lift and to move boxes of data reports (approximately 5 lbs. to 20 lbs.).
- Required to observe and practice safety procedures when installing and lifting equipment.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance is required.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and regulatory accounting requirements as they pertain to financial institutions.
- Knowledge (and experience) with core data processing systems and personal computers.
- A CPA or MBA is desirable.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate with tact, discretion, and courtesy with all levels within and outside the organization. Good negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Windows-based computer programs.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel is required.
- Ability to use the Internet to retrieve information associated with accounting issues.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Excellent attendance.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must have at least five to ten years experience in financial institution accounting, three of which are in a management capacity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Indeed - 20 months ago