Seattle Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 31, 2018
I LOVE working for a school district. There is respect, collaboration, support, training, and an underlying belief that your life outside of work is something to be respected and protected. If I could make my work history anything I wanted, I would make it that I had ALWAYS worked for a school district.
Pros
Value of education.
Cons
None.
Seattle Public schools is disorganized
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2018
SPS is completely disorganized. The Human Resources department causes more problems than they fix and the union works hand in hand with the district, rather than providing teachers with the support to change things that drastically need to be addressed.
fun place to work
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 20, 2017
Playing and teaching is the most fulfilling job I e
have ever had the satisfaction you get when teaching someone something new is the most amazing experience of my life
Great Place to work!
School Nurse/LPN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 13, 2017
Work started when I would arrive to escort the first child to school on the school bus. Depending if I had any Special Needs children to look after depended on how my day went. No children meant spending the day in the Nurses' Office assisting the RN with any needs she might have, if no needs, I would find something to occupy my day that could later be of use to us in the Nurses' Office. Hardest Part was leaving this job. The most enjoyable part were watching the kids grow up.
Pros
Parents were amazing, summers off, holidays, etc..
Cons
Organization of transportation was slightly poor.
Making a Difference through Technology
HELP DESK TRAINER/TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2017
What can I say I loved my job. It was a great pleasure to serve the staffs, teachers, and students of Seattle Public Schools with integration and technology support.
Pros
Passionate about helping kids learn
Cons
Long hours, stressful environment, government red tape
Collaborative Environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 30, 2017
Most staff members were invested in working closely with colleagues for the improvement of student success. There is the option to join a union so job security is strong.
its a great place to work
Licensed Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 26, 2017
great staff with great benefits. A good company to work for.
can move up slow or quick its all up to you. There is a lot of training you can receive here.
Challenging and rewarding
Substitute teacher/AI (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 14, 2017
I have enjoyed my time here in Seattle Public Schools, its rewarding opportunity educating our children future is awarding. one of the issue is lack of support.
Pros
Free stuf
Cons
short Breaks and expensive insurances
Positive Internship
Teaching Internship (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 8, 2017
Enjoyable internship experience wherein I was able to: teach in an autonomous environment, learn from my successes and failures, and reflect upon it all in a safe space.
Hard-working, fast-paced environment with like-minded colleagues
Substitute & Contracted Certificated Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 11, 2017
Increased my ability to work effectively with students, parents, other staff/colleagues and supervisors, while providing world class education for students coming from variety of backgrounds.
Pros
Hard-working peers; wonderful learning experience being surrounded by children.
Cons
High demands and constantly increasing expectations.
If you are a new teacher you will be loved because you are less costly and will take direction from young, inexperienced principals.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 27, 2017
Senior teachers are often harassed by principals which is supported by the Superintendent and School Board to force them to retire or go elsewhere! They often develop health issues due to the stress. Often times teachers are not allowed to finish out the school year with their students. They simply disappear and staff, parents, and students don't know why!
Though many staff are well aware of the targeting of teachers by principal they are afraid to speak up--retaliation!
Pros
Salary, health benefits, vacation time
Cons
Weak teacher's union, ageism, cronyism, corrupt administrators, money mismanagement, high principal and teacher turnover
Teaching in Seattle
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 1, 2017
Teaching in Seattle is more about not offending others than it is about education. I greatly enjoyed my classroom experience and worked for a wonderful principal. However the culture of mediocrity in education under the guise of "excellence" was a heavy weight to carry when I actually expected so much more. I left because of an injury.
Pros
Helping students look at their own futures and thinking beyond high school
Cons
Pay, Hours, the culture of accepting mediocrity
Alright place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2017
If you're not in a permanent position within the district, or it's temporary they treat you like you're beneath them. Not cool. Over working for the district.
The District's focus is on student educational services with less emphasis on administrative operations. Current budget is unsustainable.
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 12, 2017
The district has suffered from high turnover in management. Executives spend an inordinate amount of time in meetings. Parents and the school communities have an active voice and frequently challenge management decisions during school board meetings. Efficiencies in operations lag behind smaller neighboring school districts.
Pros
At the end of the day, if what we do makes a difference to a student, then it is all worthwhile.
Cons
Big dreams dangle from a shoe string budget.
Teaching
Certificated Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 30, 2017
Teaching with the Danielson framework of excellent teaching in mind a good reference point for reflection and improvement. The teachers are cooperative and the students are engaging.
This an excellent place to work.
Certificated Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 7, 2017
Seattle Public Schools is one of the best in the United States.
The salaries and benefits are well above the national average.
They have very good incentives for teachers and substitute teachers.
Ssd
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 3, 2017
First Job in IT and great place to absorb. Allowed my freedom to get my feet under me and feel comfortable. Government structure made advancement difficult.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Government structure made advancement difficult. Salary was low and locked.
Productive and fun place to work.
Clerical Substitute (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 2, 2017
Productive and fun place to work. A learning environment and there's always room for advancement. I enjoy meeting people and many nationalities. A great learning environment.
Sps
Title I Tutor (Current Employee) –  Private schools, Seattle, WAApril 25, 2017
Good Place to work for family balance. There are many opportunities with several fields throughout the organization. Benefits are great starting with .5 employment.
Challenging but rewarding environment
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 6, 2017
Seattle Public Schools is far too large to accommodate all of the schools. For the most part, funding was hard to come by and I think the variety of neighborhoods and cultures really affected the schools. The south end of the district, though it had it's rewards, was not given the support needed to maintain a successful classroom environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seattle Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Seattle Public Schools Reviews by Location