Seattle Public Schools

Seattle Public Schools Employee Reviews

Meeting lot of people/diversity
Customer Services / Receptionist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 15, 2015
Pros: Good benefites
Cons: Management work for management
Management is totally unexplained, horrible, management work for management.They don't care about you especially if you are not in their circle Lots of managers works there doesn't know anything about their department they been hire because they know someone there. Education and experience is not prepared .
Actual it is a waste of tax payers money which they don't care.HR dept is the worst department.
School Nursing
ARNP School Nurse and Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 17, 2015
School nursing is a rewarding and challenging profession. You are a "lone wolf" in this area of nursing, but provides you with the ability to work directly with children and their families in a community and public health setting. The work-life balance is great, especially for those with families. The best part of school nursing is the ability to do a lot of preventive care, health education, and counseling to families. Especially as you are likely their first healthcare contact person. There is a wide range of ages in which you can work with, from 2.5 years of age requiring possible early intervention services, all the way up to 21 years of age, in which students are receiving school to work transition training. School Nurses are more than the "nurses who give ice packs and BandAids". Health education and treatment can range from as simple as encopresis and constipation issues, sleep issues to more complex, such as behavioral issues, substance abuse, pregnancy, and reproductive health. It truly is a rewarding and challenging field of nursing, which is even more challenging in that the school district I work in is the largest school district in the state with the widest range in ethnically, religiously, and socio-economically complex and diverse population!
a busy environment, highly structured, from a few to many children with whom to interact
Substitute teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good income for the number of hours at the job
Cons: no healthcare benefits and no retirement offered
The typical day at work follows certain parameters that are nonvarying: a lesson plan must be followed, the substitute teacher accomplishes the tasks of the person who has that full-time job as best he/she is able, and the job always is dictated by the following:
arrive one-half hour before school begins, be present and highly-functioning through the school's hours, and check out a few minutes to a half-hour after the students leave.

The hardest part of the job is the fact that it has little or no continuity from one day to another, and that the substitute has no chance to get to know names of students or teachers with whom they work.

The most enjoyable part is that there is great variety of tasks, and therefore a new challenge built into every day's job.
Great potential - oversized school district
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 23, 2014
The top-down management style of SPS has attempted new initiatives ever 2-3 years. Each one lasts about a year and is then abandoned. We've had multiple superintendents (or interim) and nobody has been consistent in their management style.
Great place to start off with the school district
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 16, 2014
No advancement opportunity available except to be a teacher. It has shown me a true love for individuals with disabilities. Management was great, he has always been fare to everyone. The hardest part to my job is being injured by students who were violent. The ,most enjoyable part is seeing their progress.
Productive and energetic workplace
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Whitman MIddle SchoolAugust 31, 2014
SPS provide academic growth and support to a diverse population.
Hard work pays off....
Clerical Substitute (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 28, 2014
Seattle Public Schools is a great place to work if you are a hard worker. Work ethic pays off. They pay attention to it and there are plenty opportunities for advancement.
Great Place To Teach Children
Mentor (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 19, 2014
This job allows workers to work with students to help their reading abilities.
Exciting opportunity to work with students
Paraprofessional Substitute (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: healthcare
Everyday Iam offered the opportunity to work with students at a variety of seattle public schools who may need a little extra help outside of the classroom.
a complete learning experience working around children of all ages.
Mobil AA (Custodian Engineer) (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 3, 2013
Pros: free recreational support, food and water, sometime gifts from staff for appreiciation job well done.
Cons: not enough time in the day to do more.
Open school, turn off alarm, turn on the lights, call security, set the steam boilers online, check computer and office phone for messages. Communicate with the staff, Clean the outside area of debris then take a break. Finish paper work and assigned work orders. After the school lunch is over I will clean all the tables off, sweep and mop floor, empty all garbage.
I have learned that Customer Service skills is key
A humble community of friendly staff members students and parents
moving heavy furniture up the stairs that wont fit in the elevator and the most enjoyable part of the job is to see the smiles on their faces everyday.
SPS is a good workplace that supports work/life balance. However there has been no job security there because of poor management
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2013
Central office of SPS is a good workplace that supports work/life balance. However there is no job security because of poor planning and no performance review. Employees have been retained based on position rather than their contributions. Pay freeze and hiring freeze have been in place the last few years at the Central Office for classified staff, not to mention mandatory furlough has also been used to fill the budget gap the last two school-years.
Productive workplace allows innovation and creativity
Project Director (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 20, 2013
Always room for growth and innovation. Most enjoyable part of this work is the people are dedicated to assuring all students reach their potential
I learned a lot and the diversity of the district (students and staff) has opened my eyes to many cultures I would have never been exposed to.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 30, 2013
I believe Seattle Public Schools is headed in the right direction as far as their special education programs are concerned. There is still an exuberant amount of work which needs to be done, but the staff is dedicated and they are following a positive vision.
We worked as a team and had respect for each other regardless of gender or race.
Custodian (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 30, 2012
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: nothing that i know of
I liked working in the school system. The administration was good and they respected us. They provided good equipment to work with. We were given enough time to do the job right. The pay and benefits were good. I was always learning new skills and how to work safely.
Not what I expected
Facilities Services Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Seattle WA Central OfficeSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: the monetary compensation was higher than average.
Cons: extremely poor management
A nightmare from the beginning. By the 3rd day on the job I went to HR to resign my position but stopped realizing that in this economy this job was better than unemployment. There was corruption, theft, and mis-management abounding in this place and the worst part of it I was in their top level management. I decided to stay and make a difference, figuring I could change things for the better. I fought like heck for years trying to make small improvements and ended up going one step forward and two steps backwards. I had the support of my subordinates but my management had their own personal objectives and not for the concern of the School District. The state lost some funding and that made for an excuse for the senior management to eliminate my position, again not for the betterment of the School District.
Very diverse school district to work for
Substitute Teacher/Para Educator (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 9, 2012
Pros: diversity, caring educators
Cons: fluctuating administrators, leadership and financial availability to all schools.
I have been a substitute teacher and Para Educator for Seattle Public Schools for over two and a half years. I have been exposed to a wonderfully diverse school district through the opportunity that I've been given; and, I'm currently expanding my expertise through my graduate program and certification process. Though the teachers range from conservative to very liberal, the team effort to provide a healthy and caring environment for students is profound! I plan to be with the district for years to come, and I recommend the Seattle Public School District to any educator looking to be a part of a diverse pupulation.
Challenging work environment
Science Teacher (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 29, 2012
Daily work in always something different. Focus is on child development.
District needs new leadership and the Taechers union should be reviewed and revamped to reflect the needs of the students versus protecting it's on te
Dir. of Public Affairs and District Communications (Former Employee), Seattle WAMay 10, 2012
Pros: no pro at this time
Cons: lost
I am no longer employed by Seattle Public School. I am however very interested in returning.
Amazing
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 26, 2012
I really liked being a team read coach and a TA. My Typical work day was about the same as a school day. I would go and work durning my breaks, lunch and 5th and 6th period.
Highly motivational and education place of buiness.
Data Registrar (Former Employee), McClure Middle School, Queen Anne, Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2012
Pros: good parking, multi-generaltional environment, salary advancement, lunches on site.
Cons: difficulty with alloted breaks, 30 minutes for lunch, early start time, temperature control, angery parents.
This is an education based employer. It is a fair opportunity employer and if you are displaced due to down sizing you are placed on a displaced employee's list where other jobs in you salary range and work experience are offered.

Seattle Public Schools Salaries