Seattle Public Schools Employee Reviews

Dysfunctional system undermines educators
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 1, 2017
Little to recommend about a system that undermines its primary resource: classroom teachers. Weak, political, and nepotistic leadership directly impacts quality of instruction; key academic programs funded through campus, rather than district budgets; salary scale not even close to sufficient for Seattle living.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Long hours and low pay would be sufferable for the sake of the work, but this district insists upon treating its teachers as throw-aways. I cannot recommend it.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2016
A diverse public school district that is committed to eliminating the achievement gap. It is a dynamic place to work. Management depends on where you work.
Very enjoyable place to work!
TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 22, 2017
Loved the schedule. Worked through the school year, summers off!! Great for mothers/fathers with young children. Monthly pay schedule was difficult for me at first. Learned to manage my finances. Very supportive co-workers.
good environment
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
Enjoyed my time at this school. The staff were very helpful and students were amazing and grateful for nursing care and education. They came in to the health room for minor symptoms and also were given medication for chronic health problems.
Disorganized
Counseling Secretary (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2016
The school I work for has amazing people, but the district offices are slow to respond and unorganized. I have had paperwork lost, was not told my salary or pay dates until almost a month after I started and there are mandatory benefits employees are required to pay for whether they will use them or not (which I was not made aware of until weeks after I took the position). SPS is so short sighted, I am facing a layoff 2 months after being hired! What a waste of time and resources for both the district and myself. Maybe this is why schools cannot get proper funding for essential things they need to serve students and communities, lack of organization, vision and concern for families.
Pros
Working with staff and students has been amazing
Cons
Being paid monthly, healthcare super expensive, having to find another job in less than 3 months
Working in a fun environment with youth
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rainier Beach, WAAugust 3, 2016
I love every aspect of working with youth and their families. It is not a job for me it is a passion which makes it fun to achieve goals and to help kids achieve goals in all social classes or demographics.
Not what I expected
Facilities Services Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle WA Central OfficeSeptember 1, 2012
A nightmare from the beginning. By the 3rd day on the job I went to HR to resign my position but stopped realizing that in this economy this job was better than unemployment. There was corruption, theft, and mis-management abounding in this place and the worst part of it I was in their top level management. I decided to stay and make a difference, figuring I could change things for the better. I fought like heck for years trying to make small improvements and ended up going one step forward and two steps backwards. I had the support of my subordinates but my management had their own personal objectives and not for the concern of the School District. The state lost some funding and that made for an excuse for the senior management to eliminate my position, again not for the betterment of the School District.
Pros
the monetary compensation was higher than average.
Cons
extremely poor management
Supportive work environment, stimulating and creative for kids and teachers.
Tutor/Teacher aid (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 6, 2016
I spend 5-6 hours a day at work in different classrooms. I learned how to work with special ed students as well as the best ways to interact with other students. The most difficult part of my job was occasionally dealing with difficult students, and the most fun was getting to interact with students, particularly on frequent art projects. My coworkers are all incredibly kind, thoughtful, and fun to work with.
Pros
Fairly flexible hours, interesting work
Management level is top heavy.
HRIS SR. Personnel Specialist- Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2016
Management staff needs to assess other departments regarding needs for training, job resources and get their hands into the actual work. Lots of chiefs, lacking in Indians.
SPS is a good workplace that supports work/life balance. However there has been no job security there because of poor management
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2013
Central office of SPS is a good workplace that supports work/life balance. However there is no job security because of poor planning and no performance review. Employees have been retained based on position rather than their contributions. Pay freeze and hiring freeze have been in place the last few years at the Central Office for classified staff, not to mention mandatory furlough has also been used to fill the budget gap the last two school-years.
Highly motivational and education place of buiness.
Data Registrar (Former Employee) –  McClure Middle School, Queen Anne, Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2012
This is an education based employer. It is a fair opportunity employer and if you are displaced due to down sizing you are placed on a displaced employee's list where other jobs in you salary range and work experience are offered.
Pros
good parking, multi-generaltional environment, salary advancement, lunches on site.
Cons
difficulty with alloted breaks, 30 minutes for lunch, early start time, temperature control, angery parents.
School District
Correction ED Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 4, 2016
I have a rough time with the school district, there are alot of rules that are still from the 1900's it seems like there is no change. I am considered very young for the school district and I feel that they have problems with social change. I think that students have a rough time relating to the school district. They don't see people that look like them or can relate to what they are going through. Alot of people from the district are older than my parents and don't want to change with the current events that are happening. This causes me to want to leave because I don't see good service that they are providing.
The side most people don't see
Project Manager, North Region / Capital Projects (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2015
A typical day can be just about anything. There are job site meetings, design meetings, submittal review meetingsā€¦

There is the side of the job pertaining to budget, budget management, contracts and contract negotiation. There is also oversight of the maintenance staff and submitting work orders.

Finally, there is the constant role of that as liaison between the architecture/engineering/construction world and our customers, the students, administrations, faculties, parents, school board and the voters of Seattle.
Great place to start off with the school district
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 16, 2014
No advancement opportunity available except to be a teacher. It has shown me a true love for individuals with disabilities. Management was great, he has always been fare to everyone. The hardest part to my job is being injured by students who were violent. The ,most enjoyable part is seeing their progress.
a busy environment, highly structured, from a few to many children with whom to interact
Substitute teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2015
The typical day at work follows certain parameters that are nonvarying: a lesson plan must be followed, the substitute teacher accomplishes the tasks of the person who has that full-time job as best he/she is able, and the job always is dictated by the following:
arrive one-half hour before school begins, be present and highly-functioning through the school's hours, and check out a few minutes to a half-hour after the students leave.

The hardest part of the job is the fact that it has little or no continuity from one day to another, and that the substitute has no chance to get to know names of students or teachers with whom they work.

The most enjoyable part is that there is great variety of tasks, and therefore a new challenge built into every day's job.
Pros
good income for the number of hours at the job
Cons
no healthcare benefits and no retirement offered
Beneficial experience in Special Education
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 26, 2016
Paraprofessional working in a team to educate adolescents with Autism. The overarching goal was to teach functional communication and vocational skills to increase independence of students.
Great diversity and fun to work with kids
Team Read Tutor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98118March 8, 2016
I enjoyed my time with Seattle Public Schools as a Team Read tutor because I was able to spend my time with wonderful kids who were eager to learn. I learned a lot about patience and teaching skills. The hardest part was when I had to teach a group of kids, but I soon learned to give my attention to each of them equally.
Meeting lot of people/diversity
Customer Services / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2015
Management is totally unexplained, horrible, management work for management.They don't care about you especially if you are not in their circle Lots of managers works there doesn't know anything about their department they been hire because they know someone there. Education and experience is not prepared .
Actual it is a waste of tax payers money which they don't care.HR dept is the worst department.
Pros
Good benefites
Cons
Management work for management
Rife with politics, weak management, excessive union influence.
Senior Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle WAMarch 11, 2011
As I write, the school district is enmeshed in a scandal that has resulted in the firing of the superintendent and COO. Due to extreme budget cuts my job was eliminated while the perpetrator of the scandal was allowed continued employment, even after many misdeeds were revealed.
Pros
challenging work, opportunity for many improvements
Cons
excessive bureacracy, weak senior management, excessive union contril
School Nursing
ARNP School Nurse and Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2015
School nursing is a rewarding and challenging profession. You are a "lone wolf" in this area of nursing, but provides you with the ability to work directly with children and their families in a community and public health setting. The work-life balance is great, especially for those with families. The best part of school nursing is the ability to do a lot of preventive care, health education, and counseling to families. Especially as you are likely their first healthcare contact person. There is a wide range of ages in which you can work with, from 2.5 years of age requiring possible early intervention services, all the way up to 21 years of age, in which students are receiving school to work transition training. School Nurses are more than the "nurses who give ice packs and BandAids". Health education and treatment can range from as simple as encopresis and constipation issues, sleep issues to more complex, such as behavioral issues, substance abuse, pregnancy, and reproductive health. It truly is a rewarding and challenging field of nursing, which is even more challenging in that the school district I work in is the largest school district in the state with the widest range in ethnically, religiously, and socio-economically complex and diverse population!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seattle Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Seattle Public Schools Reviews by Location