Second Harvest Food Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Best job I've ever had
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 7, 2016
Great co-workers and management support. Above-average customer appreciation. Awesome benefits. I wish I could have transferred this job with me when I moved!
Pros
Management support, benefits, hours
Cons
I think we could have gotten paid a little more for the workload
poor
picker (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 16, 2016
learned people put on a fake face.
workers have poor equipment
not enough employees to do the job
workers there are not paid enough
where does the money go
will never donate to second harvest food bank everrrrr.
Team Lead
Volunteer Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 3, 2016
I'm currently a volunteer Team Lead at Second Harvest Food Bank. I do not have a paid job, so I volunteer at Second Harvest on Saturdays. I lead corporate, social groups and individuals in boxing up produce to be distributed to the community.
Productive and rewarding workplace
Customer Service / Operations (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJanuary 19, 2016
Very rewarding workplace:
Feeding the hungry
Great co-workers
Excellent benefits
Family oriented
Great management
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short staffed
Great Organization
Commodity Supplemental Food Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 2, 2016
This organization allowed me to gain so much experience in my field. I was fully supported by the CEO and my supervisor in each project I did. It was a great place to work!
A Commitment
Volunteer Food Packer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Second harvest is the go to highschool senior to parent location of earning community service hours. To me it is the first place of what is a warehouse sorting and assembly. To volunteer you would have to register to work on a scheduled day. Over the years however tech companies take their time for some unexplained reasons to completely reserve all multiple locations months in advance for their employees. Just having an independent to actually volunteer there for a day is near impossible as of now.
Pros
A sense of comradery, Snacks provided at break time
Cons
N/A
loved what company provided to the public
Picker/Packer/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 18, 2015
the job was great but my responsibilities was grown but the pay couldn't be bought up to match work load or other companies that provided the same services.
Pros
free tickets to games
Cons
not enough money to supprt family
I loved my job and it was pleasing to know that what I did was making a difference.
administrative coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I truly enjoyed the interaction I had with the general public but most of all my co-workers.

My job was very repetitive however very challenging day to day.
Pros
The people I interacted with.
Cons
Inequality in pay.
Driver/Delivery
Full-Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 11, 2015
Start a route each day, driving to local retailers picking up and delivering donations. All donations has to be inventoried, weigh, and measured to ensure or determine were items will be stored for future distribution.
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
healthcare
Upbeat and happy environment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2015
Everyone was there for the same purpose. This purpose was to help feed the less fortunate and starving families. Each volunteer had a large variety of duties that include washing/peeling vegetables and meats.

Want to know more about Second Harvest Food Bank?

Ask a question
Nonprofit Company for the community
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, OHJune 16, 2015
Answered and directed all incoming calls to a 10 person office, distributing food to low income/in need residents in the community.

I enjoyed working there, as it gave me an opportunity to feel as though I was "giving back" and helping those less fortunate. Was very difficult having to deny someone in need because our offices was unable to provide services.

We worked as a team, to ensure that the community needs was met, on a daily basis.
Great Teamwork and a great boss.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 16, 2015
The work that I did helped feed the hungry and that was all the motivation I needed. There was no pay or benefits. My part of the team was to take cases of food off the pallets and break them open so the other team members could bundle them with other items. My co-workers were a local high school Air Force ROTC platoon. They were very intelligent and hard working. I don't remember anything difficult about working there. What I enjoyed the most was the boss's sense of humor.
Cons
I work in the warehoues and shipping and receiving
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2015
It was my job to come in first thing in the morning to get ready for are shippings. I would pull orders and input orders and invoices in the system. Everyone there was friendly. I really injoyed working there.
Fun
Volunteer/Translator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2015
I had a great time volunteering at SHFB. It is an opportunity too meet new people. Just having the joy and feeling that you are helping families makes my day happy.
Beautiful experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 6, 2015
Great environment to do volunteer work in.
Loved my fellow volunteers because most of them were classmates and we all got along very well.
Supervisors were friendly and helpful whenever we needed anything.
Learned how to work with nothing in return except the joy of giving to others.
Pros
Free snacks
a happy workplace
Volunteer crew member (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 1, 2015
i like how while your working they ask you are you okay? how's the job going? is there any help that you need? they actually care about their employees well being the breaks are good and so are the people.
Pros
the people are nice and outgoing
Cons
their aren't any at all
Fast-paced food distribution that requires teamwork.
Volunteer Food Distributor (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJune 22, 2015
The volunteers are wonderful and easy to get along with. It feels very rewarding to see how grateful the agencies are during distribution.
Pros
Teamwork and rewarding
Productive, pleasant place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2015
The short time there was a valuable experience for me in regards to the caring personalities of employees and volunteers. How everyone expressed the love of their position whether getting paid for it or just volunteering. All my encounters with management and staff had pleasant dispositions that relaid in their speech and work ethics. I would love to work there as a permanent employee. Hated that my position ended.
The type of work that keeps me busy.
Administrative/Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 20, 2015
The duties vary from day-to-day, depending on what projects are currently assigned. I deal with a lot of confidential files and documents. As of late for example, I am working on scanning, printing, and filing documents in order for the organization to go paperless.
An enjoyable experience full of hard work but rewarding benefits.
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 7, 2015
I would come in and had volunteers to train. I trained them on how to sort good foods from bad or recalled foods. I trained them on the correct safety procedures needed to work at Second Harvest so they didn't get injured. My co-workers were always friendly and uplifting. The hardest part of the job was that it was a very fast-paced environment and you had to think quick, and the most rewarding was the fellowship everyday working with people who truly liked each other.

4.4