Second Harvest Food Bank Employee Reviews

Productive and rewarding workplace
Customer Service / Operations (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJanuary 19, 2016
Very rewarding workplace:
Feeding the hungry
Great co-workers
Excellent benefits
Family oriented
Great management
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short staffed
Great Organization
Commodity Supplemental Food Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 2, 2016
This organization allowed me to gain so much experience in my field. I was fully supported by the CEO and my supervisor in each project I did. It was a great place to work!
loved what company provided to the public
Picker/Packer/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 18, 2015
the job was great but my responsibilities was grown but the pay couldn't be bought up to match work load or other companies that provided the same services.
Pros
free tickets to games
Cons
not enough money to supprt family
Driver/Delivery
Full-Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 11, 2015
Start a route each day, driving to local retailers picking up and delivering donations. All donations has to be inventoried, weigh, and measured to ensure or determine were items will be stored for future distribution.
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
healthcare
I loved my job and it was pleasing to know that what I did was making a difference.
administrative coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I truly enjoyed the interaction I had with the general public but most of all my co-workers.

My job was very repetitive however very challenging day to day.
Pros
The people I interacted with.
Cons
Inequality in pay.
Upbeat and happy environment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2015
Everyone was there for the same purpose. This purpose was to help feed the less fortunate and starving families. Each volunteer had a large variety of duties that include washing/peeling vegetables and meats.
A Commitment
Volunteer Food Packer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Second harvest is the go to highschool senior to parent location of earning community service hours. To me it is the first place of what is a warehouse sorting and assembly. To volunteer you would have to register to work on a scheduled day. Over the years however tech companies take their time for some unexplained reasons to completely reserve all multiple locations months in advance for their employees. Just having an independent to actually volunteer there for a day is near impossible as of now.
Pros
A sense of comradery, Snacks provided at break time
Cons
N/A
FUN
Volunteer/Translator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2015
I had a great time volunteering at SHFB. It is an opportunity too meet new people. Just having the joy and feeling that you are helping families makes my day happy.
I work in the warehoues and shipping and receiving
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2015
It was my job to come in first thing in the morning to get ready for are shippings. I would pull orders and input orders and invoices in the system. Everyone there was friendly. I really injoyed working there.
great place
Line Cook (Intern) (Former Employee) –  line cookJuly 16, 2015
Loved it .Learn alot. And. The profesor. They .Were very kind .and .thaoutfull .and explaining. Very .Good. all of the classes
Fast-paced food distribution that requires teamwork.
Volunteer Food Distributor (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJune 22, 2015
The volunteers are wonderful and easy to get along with. It feels very rewarding to see how grateful the agencies are during distribution.
Pros
Teamwork and rewarding
Nonprofit Company for the community
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, OHJune 16, 2015
Answered and directed all incoming calls to a 10 person office, distributing food to low income/in need residents in the community.

I enjoyed working there, as it gave me an opportunity to feel as though I was "giving back" and helping those less fortunate. Was very difficult having to deny someone in need because our offices was unable to provide services.

We worked as a team, to ensure that the community needs was met, on a daily basis.
a happy workplace
Volunteer crew member (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 1, 2015
i like how while your working they ask you are you okay? how's the job going? is there any help that you need? they actually care about their employees well being the breaks are good and so are the people.
Pros
the people are nice and outgoing
Cons
their aren't any at all
Great mission and Friendly people
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 29, 2015
• Identify and solve technical problems on the user end and network level
• Install, inspect, test and repair personal computers and peripheral equipment
• Install, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with key operating systems and applications (e.g. Microsoft
Office Suite, Microsoft Lync)
• Assist Feeding America and Archdiocese of New Orleans troubleshoot and configure switches, routers, ASA
and all other networking equipment.
• Designer in Jet Reports
• Assist in the effort to address reporting needs through use of technology solutions
• Manage and account for all technology assets by performing routine equipment and software
inventories, including tracking of warranty and software licensing to ensure compliance
• Maintain our Active Directory assuring all accounts are active and working properly
• Develop and execute I.T. replacement schedule for all equipment as needed
• Manage the Microsoft SCSM Service Manager Console
• Help manage all Cisco networking equipment and networking environments
• Oversee and support VoIP phone system
• Oversee and support mobile platforms: Windows, Android and I-Phone
• Oversee and support postage equipment
• Oversee and support Outlook functionality, connection to exchange, archiving, unique needs for users and
mailbox size
• Manage network share drives, network printers, and remote desktop client
Pros
Great benefits and helping others
Cons
No room for a full time IT specialist anymore
Great Teamwork and a great boss.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 16, 2015
The work that I did helped feed the hungry and that was all the motivation I needed. There was no pay or benefits. My part of the team was to take cases of food off the pallets and break them open so the other team members could bundle them with other items. My co-workers were a local high school Air Force ROTC platoon. They were very intelligent and hard working. I don't remember anything difficult about working there. What I enjoyed the most was the boss's sense of humor.
Cons
Very layed back work flow. No one played around or groof off.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 11, 2015
I enjoyed my time with this company. Their were some very loveable people out there, also they was a sour patch there too.
Beautiful experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 6, 2015
Great environment to do volunteer work in.
Loved my fellow volunteers because most of them were classmates and we all got along very well.
Supervisors were friendly and helpful whenever we needed anything.
Learned how to work with nothing in return except the joy of giving to others.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Good
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 17, 2015
This job was really good for me; I enjoyed meeting new people every day. My coworkers were also friendly to me. The hardest part was lifting so many pounds per day.
Very comfortable enviorment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 11, 2015
Allows me to not only learn the importance of community , but also shows the strength behind giving rather than focusing on gaining. also a very structured place.
Pros
community uplifting
Cons
not to many cons
The type of work that keeps me busy.
Administrative/Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 20, 2015
The duties vary from day-to-day, depending on what projects are currently assigned. I deal with a lot of confidential files and documents. As of late for example, I am working on scanning, printing, and filing documents in order for the organization to go paperless.

4.5