Second Harvest Food Bank Employee Reviews

Great mission and Friendly people
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 29, 2015
• Identify and solve technical problems on the user end and network level
• Install, inspect, test and repair personal computers and peripheral equipment
• Install, troubleshoot, and resolve problems with key operating systems and applications (e.g. Microsoft
Office Suite, Microsoft Lync)
• Assist Feeding America and Archdiocese of New Orleans troubleshoot and configure switches, routers, ASA
and all other networking equipment.
• Designer in Jet Reports
• Assist in the effort to address reporting needs through use of technology solutions
• Manage and account for all technology assets by performing routine equipment and software
inventories, including tracking of warranty and software licensing to ensure compliance
• Maintain our Active Directory assuring all accounts are active and working properly
• Develop and execute I.T. replacement schedule for all equipment as needed
• Manage the Microsoft SCSM Service Manager Console
• Help manage all Cisco networking equipment and networking environments
• Oversee and support VoIP phone system
• Oversee and support mobile platforms: Windows, Android and I-Phone
• Oversee and support postage equipment
• Oversee and support Outlook functionality, connection to exchange, archiving, unique needs for users and
mailbox size
• Manage network share drives, network printers, and remote desktop client
Pros
Great benefits and helping others
Cons
No room for a full time IT specialist anymore
Very challenging and a learning experience
Public Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VirginiaJune 22, 2013
Input data for evaluating food banks in Southwest Virginia. I had over 300 accounts of individuals who had food banks in their prospective counties. I had to go and evaluate every 6 months to see if food banks were up to code for USDA standards. I had to talk with the people who were in charge of storing foods and go over evaluation process given by the state of Virginia. My managers back at Second Harvest were awesome. A lady Becky was my supervisor. I learned so much from her and she didn't micro manage so made me want to work even harder. The most difficult part of the job was input data. I wasn't knowledgeable on how to do every aspect of the data input to the computer. It took some time to learn the system of collecting data from every food bank I evaluated. Took about a month to learn effectively. Again; the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people all over the southwestern part of Virginia. To understand the level of poverty even in a modern world.
Pros
working for a good cause- usa hunger
Cons
not payed sufficiently
A day in the workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 17, 2013
I walk in, along with other members to start working at an assembly line. We sort goods (food, toys, cleaning supplies, etc) into boxes to give to the needy. After a box is successfully filled, we seal it, store it, and then continue once again. I learned how to work in an assembly line and also how to work in a warehouse environment, as I also packed boxes into trucks and such. I've made a lot of inseparable friends and the most enjoyable thing I've experienced was seeing a family receive a care package from us. The hardest was keeping up our work effort, but the good surely outweighed the bad.
Pros
free lunch, community service hours, made friends
Cons
very hot, can get boring and repetitive
fun palce to work for
ACCOUNTING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAOctober 10, 2012
a typical day at SHFB was everyday same load of work with the exemption of working with fun people and adding various duties depending on the season year. lots of adding donations coming in from various donors. I learned a lot in the accounting area and finance. I worked with two great co-workers and my boss in my department. At the end of my day the hardest part of my job was letting go to go home, I really loved working in the place. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting a lot of Donors, speaking with them or just helping them when they donated to SHFB.
Pros
helping a lot of people in this area.
Cons
early staff meetings every other friday at 7 am.
varied responsibilities, teamwork
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 17, 2014
very fast paced position requiring immediate responses to vendor donations, accurate distributions, committee/board member reports, inventory accuracy/management, employee assignments, training of volunteers, solicitation of donations, arrangement of food drives, employee schedules and payroll. taking care of any maintenance of warehouse building, vehicles and equipment. scheduling donation pick-ups.
Pros
networking with community organizations, helping the needy
Cons
low pay scale, and no benefits due to non profit organization
A Commitment
Volunteer Food Packer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Second harvest is the go to highschool senior to parent location of earning community service hours. To me it is the first place of what is a warehouse sorting and assembly. To volunteer you would have to register to work on a scheduled day. Over the years however tech companies take their time for some unexplained reasons to completely reserve all multiple locations months in advance for their employees. Just having an independent to actually volunteer there for a day is near impossible as of now.
Pros
A sense of comradery, Snacks provided at break time
Cons
N/A
An enjoyable experience full of hard work but rewarding benefits.
Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 7, 2015
I would come in and had volunteers to train. I trained them on how to sort good foods from bad or recalled foods. I trained them on the correct safety procedures needed to work at Second Harvest so they didn't get injured. My co-workers were always friendly and uplifting. The hardest part of the job was that it was a very fast-paced environment and you had to think quick, and the most rewarding was the fellowship everyday working with people who truly liked each other.
Great Teamwork and a great boss.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 16, 2015
The work that I did helped feed the hungry and that was all the motivation I needed. There was no pay or benefits. My part of the team was to take cases of food off the pallets and break them open so the other team members could bundle them with other items. My co-workers were a local high school Air Force ROTC platoon. They were very intelligent and hard working. I don't remember anything difficult about working there. What I enjoyed the most was the boss's sense of humor.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJuly 20, 2014
Great people to work with. First day learned to answer phones direct and help people when they came in. Did mail ,scanned documents, filed. Help with the fiscal audit, and redid files for the beginning of the fiscal year. Help make a Excel spreadsheet for tracking employees hours and time off. The hardest part was knowing exact answers to questions when I only worked for three weeks. The most enjoyable was the people were fantastic.
Pros
caring people.
Cons
didn't have an opening.
Nonprofit Company for the community
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, OHJune 16, 2015
Answered and directed all incoming calls to a 10 person office, distributing food to low income/in need residents in the community.

I enjoyed working there, as it gave me an opportunity to feel as though I was "giving back" and helping those less fortunate. Was very difficult having to deny someone in need because our offices was unable to provide services.

We worked as a team, to ensure that the community needs was met, on a daily basis.
Productive, pleasant place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 14, 2015
The short time there was a valuable experience for me in regards to the caring personalities of employees and volunteers. How everyone expressed the love of their position whether getting paid for it or just volunteering. All my encounters with management and staff had pleasant dispositions that relaid in their speech and work ethics. I would love to work there as a permanent employee. Hated that my position ended.
Volunteering to aid individuals in distress
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 17, 2013
A typical day includes opening early to organize food & products.
I learned to be thankful for blessings.
Management is beyond grateful.
Co-workers help one another.
The hardest part of the job is witnessing the amount of struggle in the world.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to lend a helping hand to those in less than fortunate positions.
Pros
helping out those less fortunate.
Cons
experiencing people's hardships.
If you are looking to help the community and get some compensation
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHDecember 18, 2013
Daily tasks consisted of helping volunteers to sort and pack donated food goods to be delivered to soup kitchens, shelters and community food pantries. These volunteers could be Boy Scouts, high school clubs, adults, seniors, really anyone that wanted to help out.
Pros
help your community, pay off student loans
Cons
low-pay
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida
Benefits Connection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaMay 4, 2014
I really enjoyed the job, helping those in need. My hours were basically banker's hours. This company really goes out of their way to help others, feeding those who are in need.
Pros
the work environment is laid back, they relly care about the employees. best health coverage hands down.
Cons
non-profit.
Busy, fast pace fun work environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 11, 2012
Non-stop movment,stocking and helping customers, always learning and experiencing new ways to get things done in a professional timely manner.
Management is nothing less then Fantastic, aswell as Co-workers.
My job is a lot of work but easy because i enjoy the fast pace work environment.
Pros
great co-workers
Beautiful experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 6, 2015
Great environment to do volunteer work in.
Loved my fellow volunteers because most of them were classmates and we all got along very well.
Supervisors were friendly and helpful whenever we needed anything.
Learned how to work with nothing in return except the joy of giving to others.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
The type of work that keeps me busy.
Administrative/Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 20, 2015
The duties vary from day-to-day, depending on what projects are currently assigned. I deal with a lot of confidential files and documents. As of late for example, I am working on scanning, printing, and filing documents in order for the organization to go paperless.
I loved my job and it was pleasing to know that what I did was making a difference.
administrative coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I truly enjoyed the interaction I had with the general public but most of all my co-workers.

My job was very repetitive however very challenging day to day.
Pros
The people I interacted with.
Cons
Inequality in pay.
Productive and Fun place to work
Operations & Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose CAJune 4, 2013
This company rewards hard work. The pay and benefits are excellent. The work environment is strong and functionable and management is reliable. This is a great place to work
Pros
quarterly luncheons
Cons
sometimes weekend work is necessary
Productive and overall palce to work or volunteer for.
Warehouse Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Second Harvest is a place that teaches you:
1. Selflessness
2. Taking Pride in your work
3. How to interact with people
4. Interpersonal skills
5. The supervisors will take time out to help or train you.
Pros
family like atmosphere

4.5