Second Harvest Food Bank Employee Reviews

work under two department head
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 16, 2017
I was able to provide administrative service to two head of the department. I coordinated volunteers and set up companies' volunteer days at the food bank. I problem solved in the distribution sites that we supported.
Pros
I know the supervisor because I worked for them
Cons
I was filling up for a pregnant employee
Good experince
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 1, 2017
Overall I had a good experience working there as the people were fun and lively. They made my experience working there great as the time flew by while packing cans and cleaning machines.
Pros
the people
Cons
dirty environment
Good and Bad
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 29, 2017
SHFB is a great organization that serves a community that is very much so in need. My position was not long term and the team knew this. If they had extended more interest in making me long term, I might be more interested in staying. Maybe just invite me to a staff meeting or 2.

They paid me well and my time off was flexible- though unpaid.
Positive people and very productive envirment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 28, 2017
Very up beat and and positive co-workers and customers. Not a hard job easy work and very friendly co-workers who will help you the best way they can.
Pros
free lunches
Nice Place to work
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95134June 28, 2017
I felt good working here. I enjoyed putting things into boxes and helping others. The other people at this employment were friendly. The manager was good and helpful.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 19, 2017
Cleaned and organized such as food, toys, and clothes. Load or unload materials into containers or onto trucks. Clean contaminated equipment or areas for re-use, using detergents or solvents. Operate machines or equipment to remove, package, store, or transport. Obtain, move, and sort products, materials, containers, and orders. Sealed containers or materials using glue and tape.
great volunteer oppty! great company!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 9, 2017
Great volunteer opportunity for San Jose residents. The branch is huge and can always use more volunteers on a daily basis. There is a great deal of contentness when you can help others less fortunate and the Second Harvest gives that feeling.
I learned alot while there and the people where helpful
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 9, 2017
It was a good place to learn new task. The people there were very nice and willing to help you learn. It could be fun when working with others. I worked there while in school. We would go and assist the staff in what ever they needed. I was able to learn how to do many different task. And learn the right way to do them. The staff likes us being they,so they were able to teach of many things.
amazing place to work for.
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, GAMay 31, 2017
Great place to work for
Great environment
Great people
Amazing boss
I love the company compassion for the community and just a general care for the people.
Excellent Community Resource
Research Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OH 44509May 9, 2017
Second Harvest Food Bank does a great job in the Tri-County area in Ohio. That county area Is Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana. The Food Bank provides over sixty agencies of service. Very good environment for social service professional.
Pros
Excellent service organization
Cons
Good to work there not enough money
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Harahan, LAMay 2, 2017
It's a good place to work not enough money the company I work the folklift all day my hours are 5 to 1 everyday
I take orders very well the company is great
Pros
Cons
1 hour lunch 15 break
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAApril 24, 2017
Second Harvest offered an invaluable service to the geographic areas that were serviced by them. The overall culture and service was tremendous and well worth while.
Amazing Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2017
This place is amazing if you want to volunteer and their staff is great on getting everyone organized and showing you how to process the food. It was a great experience and I highly recommend for more people to go check it out.
Pros
Have a great time with awesome people
Cons
Ummm the fridges were freezing? (Seriously this place rocks though)
nice people to work for and those that come in
Driver Day-Cab (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 20, 2017
would come in then start with raping pallets and loading truck and trailer and backing up to dock and loading the load for delivery to sites that was given to site.then would do pickup for donations from location then be back by 4:45 for parking truck and trailer .
Pros
good place to grow
Great Company with Great people
Data Analyst Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 10, 2017
Loved working with the people and working toward the mission. Most employees are generally interested in their coworker's work and are willing to help in any way then can.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
some departments have
Great workplace
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 6, 2017
Productive fun workplace with a steady work flow and a great benefit to the public. wonderful employee relationships as well as with upper management.
Pros
Free lunches from time to time.
Cons
not much room for growth
Rewarding, Fast paced, Fun
Volunteer Service/Donations driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 3, 2017
Depending on your skill level and knowledge of the inner workings of the food bank determines what you will face every day. You could start as a driver in the mornings then when done with your route you might end up in the warehouse doing inventory or moving collected food with forklifts. Because of my skill set and my reliability I never had a dull moment. I learned how to function in a massive and complicated dynamic group. The management is some of the best I have ever worked for. Second harvest strives to keep healthy food available for the 1 out of 10 people who can't afford to buy healthy food for their family's. With so many shifts and moving parts in the building, It made it hard to communicate which caused confusion. Sometimes a project that you had worked on all day would be undone at night. I have never felt that level of accomplishment.
Pros
Great bosses, Great co-workers
Cons
Takes about 10 years to advance
A Typical Day
Outreach (Former Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 12, 2017
Every job at Second Harvest is extremely rewarding. You are given a lot of personal freedom and are encouraged to come up with new ideas to help clients.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Minimum Pay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 11, 2017
this was more than just something to do. It was hard work but to see it pay off made it worth all the work. We were helping people from all over get food to eat.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
heavy work
Work, but rewarding
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 6, 2017
I was volunteering at the Second Harvest Food Bank; mostly unloading items from various store outlets onto a conveyor belt to be distributed by item type. Other times it was unloading straight from the plastic wrap to be put into boxes that would distribute through out the city of New Orleans.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A bit warm