SECU Employee Reviews

Toxic
Manager (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDAugust 4, 2016
I was in the HQ office. The employees in the branches seemed happy, although frequently complained about the unattainable level of their goals. The HQ employees, however, were not happy. Many managers and senior managers could not be trusted to do what they promised. Salary increases were small or non-existent. Senior managers frequently tried to get employees to gossip about co-workers to get "dirt" to use against them. Employees often were fired with no reason or notice, therefore people worked in an environment where they feared for their jobs and would not take risks. Turnover was very high -- voluntary and involuntary. A toxic environment with toxic leadership.
Pros
Cons
Management cannot be trusted
Overwhelming workplace
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 12, 2016
Days are filled with back to back calls with little to none management availability. Everyday is a new day with a new learning experience. Coworkers are always energy filled and ready for a long day of work.
Family Oriented Environment
Items Processing Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDDecember 22, 2016
SECU is very family friendly as well as understanding. They promote their employees to excel in life by offering Tuition Reimbursement.
Decent work enviroment
Banker (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 3, 2016
Decent work environment. Long hours. Go for branches that are smaller in size .less competition for sales. Great place to learn how to sale in a consulting style.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Very low pay for job your doing, retail type banking goals
Avoid or you will regret
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDDecember 17, 2015
Worst Management. Majority of the Sr. people have been there for 20+yrs so they don't care. Day 1 of your job they will bring all the Sr. leaders to show they care but they don't. You won't get treated like human being. You have to work sometimes 55+ hrs a week. They do not care about your personal life. You get micromanaged almost every single hour of your life. If you are in a supervisory role then forget it, Working for them is like signing your life away. Just find out the details on how many people leave within a year( Make sure you ask for the # of people who have left and not for the %of people who have left). Hopefully this is more then enough information for anyone to make a simple decision.
Pros
You will start looking for jobs as soon you join this Org.
Cons
Too Many too list here
unpredictable work environment
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 28, 2015
The company has a great culture but a lot of changes are in effect that are impacts the work environment. Such as cutting back on employees causing a stressful and overloaded work day for underpaid employees
Pros
culture, benefits
Cons
short staff, poor management
Helping the needs of SECU Members
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 4, 2015
Monday through Friday the Credit Union is open 8:30-5:30. Much of the daily interactions with members as a Financial Services Representative is spent completing monetary transactions. These transactions include withdrawals, deposits and various payments to personal loans, mortgage loans and credit cards. Another role that I fill at the Credit Union is as the ATM custodian. As an ATM custodian I am responsible for balancing and making sure there is enough cash available for the 24/7 service time. As the day nears the end on certain assigned weeks I am also responsible for scanning transit checks, credit/debit tickets and daily tickets. Depending on the traffic of members in the branch there is some multitasking that is needed to complete these various tasks during the day. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the Credit Union thus far.
Pros
Great benefits with a competitive 401k match
Cons
Location and drive to and from work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 18, 2015
....... SUCKED..... coworkers were pretty nice they just take a while to let you into there circle. Pay raise is like 10cents a year if that.. There are some bonuses if you meet quarterly goals, but for tellers they arnt that good. They just keep getting more and more strict on everything they do here even cutting back on giving kids loli pops.
Cons
manangment, short lunch
Great entry level position
MD (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 20, 2014
I worked for SECU for 2 years before moving over to their "sister company" S3. It was a great place to work. It wasn't one of those jobs that you hated and couldn't wait until 5pm so you could clock out.
The work environment was very relaxed and chill. My managers were awesome, I could go to them for any reason whether or not it was work related.
Pros
free lunches, flex hours, great management
Cons
job security
Family friendly environment
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Linthicum Heights, MDMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work is busy, I learned alot about leadership and every person can work together and be on the same page. The management staff were friendly, kind, helpful and leaders. No one has a perfect outcome, but for the most part everyone got along with each other and that is because you can not have that many woman in one environment daily and no one has a moment, but everyone respected each other. The hardest part of the job was when my contracted ended and the department was also shutting down. The most enjoyable part of the job was wanting to come to work each day.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
I can not think of any
Different classroom every day. It was an excellent job while my father was ill because it was flexible.
Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lavale, MDOctober 25, 2015
Fair compensation, with flexible work. The staff at all of the schools were very helpful and accomodating. It worked for me when I needed a flexible schedule due to family illness.
The company is going through a transition right now
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDSeptember 9, 2013
A typical day at work is dealing with the monotony of the job

I did learn how to do the mail, how to process, and scan daily work from other branches. I did learn how to process mail returns. I learned how to QA check bankruptcy files, scan.

Management that I worked with needs more training on how to handle people situations to be more professional, and to not assume without knowing the facts first.

My co-workers were very helpful in training me to be better at my job.

The hardest part of the job at times was dealing with management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I had a job for the time being.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Productive fast paste call center job
Telephone Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 4, 2015
A fun fast paste job in a call center. Taking Banking calls from clients
and trouble shooting accounts. Co-workers help with trouble shooting
process. The hardest part of the job was working with clients about
overdrafts and loans.
Cons
No short Term Disability
was able to build a great relationship with staff and public
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  baltimore mdSeptember 23, 2015
very rewarding place to have worked learned not only from colleagues but the general public as well.
learned how to assist an array of people on different levels and assisted the company with feed backs on how to establish a better relationship with staff and pulblic.
Pros
it was a great opportunity
Cons
company was down sized
Great place to work with good values.
Corporate Recruiter (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDOctober 11, 2012
SECU has the perfect cultural balance. The environment is just the right blend of professional and comfortable. There is also good opportunity for advancement.
Typical Day
Teller (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDOctober 15, 2013
A typical day at secu was great. everyone was always smiling. It started with a meeting of how the day was going to go and what we needed to focus on. Then we would be busy but we always looked out for everyone when it was time to take a lunch or a break. the management was always great.
A fun place to work
Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 28, 2012
Every day was busy, but fun. I used to be the most productive employee at my branch. My co-workers were like family for me.
Pros
my co-workers.
Cons
management
Customer Service
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 28, 2012
Very busy work place, I learned to muti task and be a great team player
benefits
Cons
location
Great company to learn from and work for.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 11, 2015
Very high volume of member attending the bank everyday. Great place to learn banking skills and the other employees where great to work with.
Great Benefits
Loan Service Specialist, Loan Servicing Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2013
Taking calls from our members, setting up loan payments for internal and ach payments, processing loan payments from dealerships, mortgage companies, other creditor's, processing title work for MD MVA and out of state DMV, processing Certificate of Satisfaction for .release of properties. The part od the day was processing more and more work with less people. With the merger with two other credit unions going live this June. I like the old credit Union before this process.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SECU. Our community is ready to answer.