Securian Financial Group Employee Reviews

Very Intelligent Business
Investment Advisory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 3, 2018
Hires people will applicable experience. Is not nepotistic, and only advances those will true skills. Provides plenty of training to new associates and a welcome atmosphere.
Impressions
Field Business Practices Compliance Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 17, 2017
Overall good management and coworkers. Very stressful fast paced environment, and my skills/abilities turned out to not be a good fit. But many people very happy working there.
Data Entry
Associate Group Plan Representative- Accountemps (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 15, 2017
I was constantly bored and looking for things to do. They kept telling me that they where going to train me in new task but failed to do so. I was also let go two months early than my contract.
Pros
Good supervisor
Cons
no work
Very Corporate
Bank Reconciliation Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 2, 2017
It was a very difficult environment for someone who came from a nonprofit background. I found it too cutthroat for me.
The best part of my job was being able to go on breaks.
There was definitely a hierarchy type atmosphere. They treat your importance based on your rate of pay and I found that disgusting.
wonderful place
Digital Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 2, 2017
Great management that acts according to corporate values - honesty, integrity, doing the right thing. A great culture, although very conservative - they just recently (2017) got a Friday Jeans Day. But the people are great and the culture is wonderful. They promote from within, so people rarely leave. Just a ton of opportunity there, and great benefits Profit sharing - and they are a very profitable company.
Good Company
Business System Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 17, 2017
Securian has been a good company to work for the last 4+ years. They value employees and are good about hiring within the company. They offer excellent benefits and vacation/sick time and also believe in work-life balance.
Pros
Discount programs, great vacation and sick time, internal advancement
Cons
Pay for parking
Work place
Examiner (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 19, 2017
Amazing place to be. All the staff's are friendly and helpful. Everyone here is knowledgeable. If you don't know the answer you will find someone who knows how to help you!
Senior Corporate Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 22, 2017
Securian Financial Group is by far the best place I have ever worked. Pay rate far exceeds the job requirements. Paid time off that the company encourages it's employees to take.
Pros
Benefits, pay rate
Great Employer
Defined Contribution Plan Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2017
At Securian Financial Group I typically work from 8 to 5 Monday through Friday. The work load keeps my busy all day with peek times of year when overtime is required. There are constant opportunities to learn new software and new skills. Management is sometimes excellent and sometimes poor and the same can be said of the workplace culture, depending on the department you work in.
below average
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 21, 2017
Very structured to the point of felling like a robot. Lots of favoritism in the department I worked in. Probably a great place if you start when your young not in your late 40s
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
paying for parking downtown.
Beige
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2017
Securian is a very beige company. The cubicles are beige, the average workday is beige, and most of the people are beige. This consistency is attractive to many people and suits their desire for regular, known work but is smothering for anyone with creativity and a need for variety. Securian rewards tenure above rank or ability which is frustrating and unappealing for bright, new talent.
Pros
Decent vacation time, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Stuffy culture, outdated benefits
Outgoing introvert ambiguous atmosphere
Team Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 27, 2016
Typical day at work aside of structured work schedule include minor to major sporadic tech issues. Rarely are there major job issues.

Skills acquired: Typing skills, 10 key, Main Frame functions, Adminserver Functions, Outlook Functions, Microsoft Excel functions, customer focused emails, Accurint Search functions, process improvement feedback, creating workflows...Networking gets you places.

Understanding the structures of upper management and engaging in creating relationships with managers will get you places.

Co-workers abide to rules and are subject to appropriate at times. Not all associates are able to seek counseling when under pressures that causes over-stressing due to the demands for reaching goals. A lot of the times they confine in each other their struggles.

Hardest part of the job would be the communication between the different departments as well as the different set of workflows for each department. Each has its own style of communicating and rules to follow that the function of producing the products doesn't always corroborate with one another department, causing delays in customer requests and work processes. To add, it's demonstrated that there are competing goals between different supervisors and administrators for process improvements and workflow that doesn't always optimize for fast easy flow of production, rather unnecessary and excessive check points for the lower grade associates to handle.

Most enjoyable parts were the bonuses and benefits.
Pros
Cafeteria, building access, perks, discounts, bonuses
Cons
Parking, recycled air conditioning, elevator rules, bottom-up feedback
Productive workplace
Administrator Retirement Plan Services (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 27, 2016
I've enjoyed working for Securian for eight years, a typical day at work consists of data entry, verifying information, auditing payroll files, determining eligibility of participants, and mostly computer based work. My current supervisor is the best supervisor I've had in any position I've been in, she's understanding, and easy to work for, she makes my job pleasant. I would say my co workers are hard working, with a lot of personality differences, but all in all we are a good team. The most enjoyable part of my job would be when it is busy, it makes the day fly by. The hardest part of the job would be the attention to detail, triple checking that everything looks correct before it passes my desk. In my position I have learned the importance of my role in this company, our participants depend on us to do a great job, no matter how small our role seems, we are all equally important to produce great results for our clients.
Pros
well paid for our jobs, annual bonus, paid holidays, recognition free lunches
Cons
healthcare benefits
Not worth it.
Senior Corporate Security Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMarch 6, 2016
Worked here for a while and was a joke. Tell you that you will train on your shift but you end up training on all shifts so if you need a family balance this company isn't worth it for Security. I pulled some weeks 50 plus hours and didn't have a choice. There pay system is wack also. Pay says salary but it's not roughly 16 an hour. Have to pay parking also. I got harassed my first week and the company didn't do anything. Said they would find a different position for me and didn't.
Pros
The Money is good for Security, command center is sweet.
Cons
Work most Holidays, long hours, security staff is old, all 3 managers are a joke.
The Company is one of the best!
RVP - Sr. External Wholesaler (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 13, 2015
The company itself is a wonderful company, it is very financially sound, they offer wonderful benefits and a very independent work environment.
A great, friendly place.
Senior Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 1, 2015
Everyone is really nice, personable and friendly. Work / life balance is phenomenal. Securian really cares about their associates.
Solid financials
Consulting Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 12, 2014
Good place to work. People hold positions for a very long time so there is not a lot of brain drain.
Nice place tp work.
Stock Clerk/Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Graphic ServicesJuly 2, 2014
Productive and good place to work. Worked for 31 years. coworkers very friendly.
Good
Prepress Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 8, 2014
Preps customer's file and get them ready for proof and setup to digital press or offset press.
Great opportunity for the right person
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 31, 2014
Solid company with continuous growth opportunities. Lots of on-site training and constant evaluation of internal processes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Securian Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Securian Financial Group Reviews by Location