Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Sedgwick Claims Management Services Employee Reviews

Learned a lot but horrible work/life balance, opportunities for advancement and questionable ethics
Claim Examiner III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Caseloads were too high and lack of support from management with an obvious goal of gaining business but not having the employees to properly address the claims loads and the level of customer service required. Questionable ethics - very uncomfortable in information relayed to clients in gaining new business. If you are good at what you do you are pigeonholed.
Pros
Learn a lot, variety of clients/claims
Cons
Horrible workloads and work/life balance, lack of support from management, average compensation
Taking the brunt of working with a failing company
Managed Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 3, 2016
First off, you have to be completely comfortable with the concept of returning hurt and ill workers to their jobs before they have completely healed. That's how Sedgwick makes all of their money. Sounds simple, but if you think about what you REALLY do for a living, it can keep you up at night. Next, management only cares about the bottom line--not you, your co-workers, their customers or clients. You will always desperately need resources and management will constantly promise you them--you'll never get them. You'll get paid VERY well, but will work more and more hours than you expect because they're constantly short-staffed. You'll get tons of PTO, but will seldom be approved to take any of it and the company will just take it back from you at the end of the year.
Pros
Great pay, PTO; average benefits
Cons
No work/life balance, mgmt not supportive, people are treated like numbers, not people
Do more with less
Senior Disability Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2016
A typical work day as a claim manager is between 11-15 hours. A lot is expected of the examiners. The accounts are very understaffed and the employees are very stressed. The company is behind on technology and there are many issues with software and servers going down on a monthly basis. The company does allow great vacation benefits, however employee's comeback to more work than they had before they went on their time off work. The company stresses work life balance, but this is not a reality due to the workload that is assigned to each examiner
Pros
great vacation benefits
Cons
understaffed, bad benefits, bad technology
Growing Company
Absence Management Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2016
Sedgwick is a company that continues to grow each year as it gains new clients and through acquisitions. A typical day at work includes assisting claimants and medical professionals with submitting information to resolve claims. There are also trainings and meetings to provide feedback to examiners and give them tools on how to effectively manage their case loads.
Pros
Diverse work environment, group activities/lunches, frequent training
Cons
There is no Work/Life balance, Compensation
High turn over rate.
Intake Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 29, 2016
The customer service department has a high turn overrate due to management subject subordinates to constant harassment. New hires receive minimal training and overwhelming responsibility. Representatives are ridiculed and scrutinized by their break and lunch time. Representatives are penalied by flawed call out procedure. Management does not make themselves available to resolve clarify policy issues or resolve uncertain matters.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training.
For the particular client working for management is an issue
Litgation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Independence, ohoFebruary 17, 2017
There is a lack of proper training and no clear set of expectations and a lack of consistent communication - this is a TPA who allows the client to control our actions - this is the only place where negatives actually roll uphill. There are a number of positives but the cons are currently outweighing the pros.
Pros
able to maintain a good work/life balance
Cons
no consistency/salary
fast paced, always evolving workplace.
Customer Service Represtative (Former Employee) –  Platteville, WIFebruary 15, 2017
CSR just take incoming calls advising on a status of claims or filing new claims for short-term disability and workers compensation. Sedgewick gives a generous package for time off. All calls are monitored and scored which will have to maintain high standards to keep employment. Training provided is very good to get you started. continued training is done by video's or research when you have available time between calls.
Pros
lots of vacation time
Cons
nepotism, low compassion for their own employee's
Blah!
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2016
The company isn't bad I've worked for worst companies before. I do feel they handle more clients than they can handle at times. SCR are penalized for much more than we should. The computer systems are typically always freezing or shutting down causing our numbers to rise and we are penalized at the end of the day for the IT errors but some how they blame it on the SCR's. The job should be easy and stress free but can be difficult at time. I don't have anything positive to say about management except for one which he actually does his job. The pay is ok if you don't have a lot of bills or stay at home with parents, it's manageable. The good thing is there are so many departments within this company and after 6 months your eligible to apply for different positions and also have the option to work from home.
Pros
PTO, Monday-Friday Shift
Cons
Healthcare benefits, management
Productive, fast-paced place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 29, 2016
I started my employment there after the recent acquisition of a new account. Things were quite a bit hectic as the acquisition and all that came with it, was far bigger than originally expected.

Everyday, we received a high claim load but were given the freedom and trust to work at our own pace. This really helped me learn better time management skills and to set multiple smalls goals so that the task did not seem too daunting.

Management was a mixed bag. My direct manager was understanding and allowed us the autonomy to do our jobs at our pace. I felt he had our backs and legitimately tried to make the environment as conducive to being productive as possible. Unfortunately, I do not have the same confidence in his superiors. At many times, I felt no sense of direction or leadership. The acquisition was a big one and perhaps they were overwhelmed by it. There were so many hurdles to clear in the acquisition that it rendered our upper management ineffective in influencing and providing us the leadership needed to help us in our day to day operations.

The co-workers were great. Most were friendly and willing to lend a hand. The company benefits are pretty good as well and the work/life balance was acceptable considering the amount of work to be done.
Pros
good benefits, great co workers, autonomy
Cons
workload, organization, upper management
No work life balance, No opportunity to advance
Disability Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 17, 2017
No work life balance, No opportunity to advance, Poor management, Poor raise, Overworked with less pay, Overload with work, No appreciation, Management has no idea of what is going on.
Pros
Cons
A lot
CLAIMS ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYDecember 4, 2016
Hours are great - Monday through Friday day time hours. One company one team actually means something.

Company has great benefits and gives lots of PTO time so you can take lots of vacations.

Colleagues that you work with care about you and give you praise, and management is very supportive and positive.
Intense environment with tight deadlines
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Work at this company can be stressful with unrealistic production goals. The work is entirely sedentary, staring into monitors or on the phone all day.
Pros
Flexibility in daily schedule. Benefits.
Cons
If you dare leave for an extended amount of time your workload will be overwhelming when you return.
This is not a great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHDecember 5, 2016
This company has a very high turn over and the management of the company is horrible.
The employees have low morale and the rate of pay needs to improve quite a bit!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
High turn over, no Lunch room or Cafe. Limited Parking spaces
nationwide
Disability Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHDecember 20, 2016
self starting career, can be upward progressive within the company of mobility. Offers healthcare, 401K and generous PTO has positions that work from home
Pros
pto is generous, customer service oriented
Cons
n/a
Great benefits and PTO allowance
Property Damage Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHJanuary 7, 2017
The growth potential for this company is great. The opportunities for internal growth is even greater. PTO and the rest of the benefits package are very generous from the start and with every year your there.
Case management specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 11, 2016
Poor management. Unequal distribution of labor. Salaried employee works more than set hours without compensation. Very poor work / life balance
Pros
Cons
Long hours no compensation
Sedgwick CMS
Reconsideration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 25, 2016
Sedgwick is a great company. They offer great opportunities to grow with the company, such as a class for those interested in Leadership. The company strives to be the best and to help you be the best you can be, They also have fund raisers all year long to raise money for the community with food banks, children and senior citizens.

The managers and supervisors communicated with us on a daily basis to learn and assist us with ways that would help us process our bills in an efficient and timely manner. Processes changed often until we came to resolution on how to make changes to the systems we were using to make things go smoothly.

All departments worked separately but at the same time worked as team. Co-workers assisted each other to make sure things were processed correctly. That's just a small portion of what made Sedgwick a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, great pay, time off, friendly atmosphere
Cons
not departments allowed us to work from home.
Great benefits, never a dull moment
Case Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 27, 2016
I love working for this company

The offer excellent benefits, opportunities to grow including relocating as they have offices all over the country.

They listen to the employees and work well with us.
Every job has is pros and cons
LEAVE OF ABSENCE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXDecember 19, 2016
Overall decent company; great values and PTO benefits. PTO starts at 20 days per year and adds a day per year of your tenure. Not much room for growth.
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Worklife balance is non exsistent
It's a job
Distributed Contact Center Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Work From HomeJanuary 25, 2017
Like any other employer, they are paying you for your time and if it was enjoyable, they wouldn't need to pay you. The benefits are great and working from home is a bonus,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sedgwick Claims Management Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9