See's Candies

See's Candies Employee Reviews

Customer Service based position
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJanuary 31, 2013
A typical day at See's Candies starts with greeting the customer and offering them a delicious sample of our candy. We then qualify the customer's needs by asking what brought them to the store today. We show them new items that have arrived, or are soon to arrive, as well as items that they might be interested in. After taking care of the customer's needs (putting together a box of chocolates, getting a box of lollypops, etc.), we ask if there is anything else we can show the customer and offer our gift cards as wonderful option for the holidays or birthdays. We then ring the customer up, offer new coupons or promotions to them, and thank them for coming to See's. We always add that we hope to see them soon for our new, delicious items arriving in the coming weeks.

At See's, my customer service skills have most definitely improved. I have learned techniques such as asking for the sale as well as suggestive selling. I have also taken on new responsibilities such as opening and closing the store, and acting as the responsible party when the manager or assistant manager is not in the store.

The hardest part about working for See's is keeping a level head when the holiday season rolls around. Retail is a stressful environment around the holidays for not only the employee but the customer, as well. There can be long lines, and crowds. At See's, we manage this stress by making sure that everyone is greeted when they arrive and that they have a sample while they wait, so that they know we are thinking of them and shall help them as soon as possible.

The best part about working
  more... for See's, aside from the chocolate, is working with a friendly staff, and greeting regular customers with whom one develops a good rapport. Chocolate is a product that brings happiness to people, and they appreciate the quality of the candy and the service that they receive along with it.  less
Pros
free chocolate
Cons
stressful holiday season
Fast-paced, need an eye for detailed, and must remember all chcolates
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale CaOctober 23, 2015
A typical day for me starts an hour before opening, I currently am at a mall location. My day to day operations start off by, checking time cards for the previous day making sure my team has correctly punched in and out. I begin by looking over the sales floor making sure it is visually sound and we are ready for an opening. I look the previous day sales for any losses or gains which will determine the rest of my week and the Goal to be set for that day. I create a sales log for the team and I to go over once they walk in for their shifts. There are lots of operations that go into our business because of the amount of chocolates being sold. We do lots of sampling, and breaking down bulk. I did have to learn and remember about 95 pieces of chocolates by name and ingredients. The greatest part of my role as a leader for See's Candies is that this business is mainly built of customer satisfactions and creating a memorable moment for this customer or in some cases bringing back good memories to customers that have been shopping with us in the past.
Pros
Customer satisfaction, creating memories, salary is great.
Cons
Not much support from upper management, Operationally as a company they have no metrics in place, Computer Systems are new to the company, Constant break downs of chocolates.
location influenced how much I liked the job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 25, 2015
During Christmas there were two See's Candies kiosks at different sides of the mall. The location I was at during Christmas was in the hallway but right in front of a giant Christmas Tree. It was cozy and there wasn't an overload of traffic. However during the Valentine's season, the only kiosk that was open was on the other side, which is just in the middle of a busy hallway. It just wasn't as comfortable. My manager was nice, I never really had a problem with coworkers, and the job isn't that stressful because most of the clientele are happy you are even there. Plus with a limited selection of items (at Seasonal Gift Centers like mine) and their prices right next to them, there really isn't any, "That's not what the sign said" type situations. My least favorite part of the job was sampling, but that's just me. Maybe someone else would enjoy that. Another thing I didn't like was not having enough knowledge about products. The insides of the assortments don't say what each item is like other places. I didn't like not knowing what was in each box. I personally liked the stocking/keeping things looking nice part of the job the most, but helping people figure out what they want was likable too.
Pros
chill atmosphere
Cons
lack of product knowledge
See's Candies
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILSeptember 23, 2014
As an employee of See's Candies, one learns a variety of useful skills. A typical day at work as a Sales Associate consisted of maintaining the store, customer interaction, sales, stocking, opening/closing, cash handling, and other various retail necessities. The management team which I worked under, not only taught me valuable lessons in time management and efficiency, but great customer service skills as well as sales techniques. One of the more difficult parts of the job was taking manual inventories. This required lots of detail and entering in the information required a program which ran MS-DOS. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to eat the Candy we sold, as this helped us learn each unique piece to help describe it to our customers. The work environment was fast paced and friendly, as we were selling chocolate to happy customers 99% of the time. The only issue I had with this company was the raise system/hierarchy system in place. Raises were awarded on time served not necessarily merit based. Those who were asked to complete more, and difficult tasks were compensated to the same degree as those with far less duties and responsibilities.
Pros
fun work environment with good management
Cons
heavy workload as opener/closer with same pay rate as those with less responsibilities.
Productive & friendly environment
Sales associate/Key Carrier (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAJuly 5, 2013
When i arrive i ask what needs to be done. I clean, stock, help customers, hand out samples, merchandise, handle cash, credit cards, checks & gift certificates.

I learned how to merchandise and how to change out ads. They taught me how to open and how to work in this company.

The management ran things smooth and effectively.

My co-workers are among the kindest & most friendly ladies i've ever encountered. I enjoy working with each and everyone of them.

The hardest part of my job would have to have been opening for the first time alone. I was nervous and.was secret shopped. I received a 90% score. I got everything done on time and actually received a job well done on my next scheduled day of work.

The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be the customers. Because of the area we are in, most of our clientele is elderly. I have a passion for helping the elderly and have volunteered in a nursing home for a summer when i was a preteen. So i really enjoy working with the customers and watching them leave with a smile & knowing i gave them the best customer service i could have.
Pros
free candy while on the job, discounts, 45 minute lunches.
Cons
downtime when not the holidays
Productive and fun workplace with many sweet things about it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJune 6, 2013
A typical day on the job at See's candies consisted of readying yourself for work with some light exercises followed by the same log-in procedures that would be done at any other workplace. When that was all completed we would then move to the floor where we would perform our duties in selling chocolate, whenever there was time we didn't have customers we would restock and see what there needed to be cleaned to keep it looking good. We as associates of See's are allowed to taste the chocolate in order to better suggest a flavor to any customer should they ask for suggestions. The management and staff are very lovely and kind to one another and you always feel welcomed. The hardest part of the job may also be the most rewarding is when the holidays come around and you must deal with that rush of customers and you need to get everything done in a timely manner in order to please customers with a good experience that would want them to come back to our store again.
Pros
tasting as much chocolate as you want.
Cons
some people may get over chocolate after having worked there.
Working for See's
Associate (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXNovember 16, 2013
I worked at See's since it opened in October 2012, there were periods when I don't work for weeks but I do enjoy it. My co-workers were great, kind and helpful. My managers were real and understanding, there was no misunderstanding, no drama. The district manager was difficult to please and I am constantly misunderstood (He probably thinks I am a dumb worker). Nevertheless, I worked hard and focused on my studies. I'm never out to cause problems for anyone. Slowly my wonderful co-workers slowly left See's. But again I do not hate it, no work place is perfect anyways. However a new manager is hired. the first few weeks working along side with the new manager was great, everything was problem-free. But underneath the smile was hatred. I am constantly undermined, my employment was on very thin ice. I'm constantly in fear of getting fired and I don't know why.
Pros
all you can eat see's candies
Cons
management, old school cash registers, rude picky customers, retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton, MAJune 27, 2015
At my time at See's Candies as a seasonal employee, I learned a great deal about communicating efficiently with customers and employers. Two of the most important things I learned more about how to use the register (i.e. refunds, returns, errors, etc), and how to work effectively under pressure.
A typical day at work included stocking shelves, handing out free samples, helping customers find their desired product while informing them of the contents, and tending to the cash register.
Management was very professional, understanding, flexible, friendly, and supporting.
My co-workers were all incredibly kind and welcoming. We were all more than happy to assist one another if help was needed.
The hard part of the job was attempting to get someone to cover a shift.
The most enjoyable part of working at See's Candies was having the co-workers that I had, the ability the brighten somebody else's day by helping them and making a small conversation with them.
Pros
Free samples, free candy, multiple breaks
Used to be an employee
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CANovember 6, 2015
I worked hard and was regularly called in on my days off. I learned that it takes many people to provide the experience a business wants to give to their shoppers.
I knew my co-worker's names, but most of the time I spoke with the shoppers about the candy. I kept to myself so I could be knowledgeable about the products and prices. I loved the candy and that made the work easy for me.
Some days I worked over twelve hours. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I was proud of myself. I worked one Christmas Eve. I came home, passed out on the couch during a family dinner, and woke up to realize I had the flu.
I left due to working hard and being twice overlooked for a permanent position.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Pushed to sell the Feature of the Day, nepotism
Uplifting, comfortable work enviorment. Amazing co-workers and customers
Sales Associate/Cashier -1 (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 28, 2015
This job is by far my favorite. I love everything about the store, products and staff. Very comfortable and satisfying work place. I gained more customer service skills and can speak to the general public in a professional yet friendly manner. My co-workers great people and working as a team is our priority. Never leave anyone behind kind of environment. The most difficult part was being short staffed during rush hour but once we got a system going it was perfect. If I could stay on full-time I would but unfortunately, I was only hired as a seasonal employee.
Pros
great staff, free candy at work only, easy-going
Cons
not enough hours, small checks
Productive and fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 2, 2014
I really enjoy working for See's because its offers me many valuable work experience I know will be useful to future employers. A typical day at work consisted of a variety of tasks such as stocking, arranging displays, labeling products, sales and operating a cash register. The major responsibility was to sale and provide outstanding customer service which I really enjoy. The hardest part of the job was handling cash due to the need to work fast paced it required extra attention and that caused a little stress. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was working with people and being able to help the customers because I enjoy customer service with a passion. Also, the company provided free chocolates which was another enjoyable perk at this job. Overall a new skill I learned is to operate a cash register.
Pros
free chocolates
Cons
few work hours
fun place to work at with really nice managers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CAApril 8, 2015
Costumers come in with smiles on their faces because they're getting their see's chocolate, no one is really ever frowning. Managers and co-workers are really nice, sweet and are willing to help when you need one. I learned more on how to have good teamwork specially when we have a lot of costumers on occasions/holidays and to treat costumers like the company depends on them--- because it does.

Nothings is really "difficult" on this job compared to my previous jobs. the only time you need to pick up your pace is when there's a long line of costumers asking to have a custom made box of chocolates, But other than that everything is pretty easy, doable and working at see's is so much fun.
Productive fast pace environment
Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2014
I really enjoyed working for this company it was just short term for the Christmas Holidays.
Every day we would receive shipment from 10 to 50 boxes of store close paperwork for San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Holiday Gift Stores. The first thing I had to do was agree that UPS, Fed-Ex, USPS had delivered the correct mail. Then I would take a box cutter and cut the packing slip, pull out all contents and sort in date order separating the adjustment forms, credit card envelopes and other miscellaneous paperwork and forward to the correct department.

There was never a dull moment in this fast past environment.
Pros
free holiday lunches cooked by upper management.
At ease environment with beautiful mountain view.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Every day I walked in to the shop I was greeted not only by the staff but as well as the warm welcoming smell of the best chocolate to be consumed. Every one loved being part of the team they were always excited to refill stock and open up shop. Management did everything they could do to make sure you were comfortable and at ease. There was never one day I wasn't enthused about going to work.The only part of the job I did not like were the heinous 1920's style dresses and stockings,but that was not all that much of a setback considering the sun was always shinning and the customers were always excited to be step foot in the door and see what samples we had for the day.
Pros
all the chocolate you could eat.
Cons
short breaks
FRIENDLY AND SWEET PLACE
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2013
HERE AT SEE'S CANDIES I HAVE NEVER HAD A RUDE CUSTOMER AND ALL THE CUSTOMERS THAT WALK IN WERE ALREADY NORMAL CUSTOMERS. EVERYONE IS ALWAYS IN A POSITIVE MOOD WITH SMILES ON THEIR FACES. I'VE LEARNED AT THIS PARTICULAR JOB HOW TO MAKE LARGE ORDERS FOR ORGANIZATIONS OR COMPANIES. THE MANAGEMENT WAS FRIENDLY AND JOYABLE TO WORK WITH. THERE REALLY WASN'T ANYTHING DIFFICULT ABOUT THE JOB BESIDES LEARNING THE NAMES OF ALL THE CHOCOLATES. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THIS JOB WAS LEARNING EACH CHOCOLATE FOR THEIR OWN UNIQUE TASTE. THE LOOKS ON CUSTOMERS FACES WHEN THEY COME IN TO GET THEIR FAVORITE CHOCOLATES AND ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY COME IN TO GET CHOCOLATE BOXES FOR THEIR LOVED ONES!!
Pros
eat all the chocolate you want, we got to communicate and get to know our customers
Cons
not healthy
fast paced and friendly co workers and happy customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I had a great time working for See's. I started out in Christmas seasonal and it was so much fun. My managers and supervisors were great and very friendly. The work was cut and dry and fast paced. For the most part the customers were super happy and easy to deal with. The free candy in store was a definite plus. Hardest part of the job was not getting distracted by everything going on around you, and having to keep asking what type of candy a customer wanted, but all in all it was an easy job. Although it was pretty tiring, they give you a 45 minute lunch break, paid! They are great about taking care of their employees.
Pros
Free candy, discounted candy, 45 min lunch break paid, fun managers, friendly customers
Fast paced and fun working with candy
Cashier/Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 20, 2013
Preparing custom made candy boxes for customers, providing efficient customer service, process all bank and register transactions. I learned different tastes of candies and how some can help with upset stomach..etc, Management was great, very understanding, lots of patience and went the extra mile for the team. All workers were very happy and friendly and will to lend an extra hand. The hardest part of my job was self control over eating lots of candy. The most enjoyable part is watching everyone leave happy with there favorite choices they selected.
Pros
free samples of candy all day
Cons
becoming addicted to see's candies
Run away quickly
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJanuary 17, 2013
Had this job, had to quit due to paying to work there....company car broke down and I had to pay to fix it, commission structure is ridiculous and they have since cut the salary almost in half according to this listing. Unless you have endless money to pay for your job you will not make any money. Sales manager was the worst person I have ever worked for in 30 years.This position has been open for almost 2 years, I was there for 60 days out of that 2 years. There is no one who can work this job and pay their bills unless they live at home with there parents!
Cons
endless
Not always perfect
Associate (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILAugust 13, 2013
Love the product, the atmosphere, the camaraderie of the coworkers; but the clientele and uniforms leave a lot to be desired. Not happy about the corporate issues, either.

Every other person in the store is either rude or nasty, and those that aren't are ditzy and remarkably slow. It makes life a little more difficult when every third customer wants to know the price of each and every single item on the floor...and the price happens to be right above each and every product.

Because corporate is in California, they have no trouble ignoring every issue this store brings up - and indeed every store east of the Rockies.
Pros
candy, coworkers, store itself
Cons
clientele, corporate
Seasonal
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long BeachJanuary 27, 2014
A typical Day would be account searching, basically researching if a customer ordered before. Entering Faxed Orders into the system from Stores and Mail order. The job is fairly easy and you will stay busy during peak season! Lots of overtime. No room for advancement, as I have seen people hired on as permanent, but not sure what you have to do to advance!!!..Overall if you want to make extra money for the holidays this is perfect.
Pros
substantial discount on candy, overtime pay is exceptional
Cons
no room for advancement, no permanent employment will be offfered

4.5