Sega of America Employee Reviews in United States

Pretty fun office, with a great group of people.
Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 13, 2015
I had fun on most work days, but I also worked and learned a lot. Starting this job was also a start of a new career for me. One of the biggest challenges I faced entering this job was interacting with Sega of Japan. The various differences in culture and etiquette were a lot to learn and get used to. The biggest highlight of my days in the office was getting to hang out with my coworkers, on our downtime.
Pros
good people, free snacks, learning experience, contacts
Cons
bad manager, bad management, culture shock
Great Experience
Technical & Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 2, 2016
● Involved in complete life-cycle Implementation of SAP BW which includes Data Extraction, Data Modeling and Reporting. Worked with different users to gather business requirements and transformed them into a data model using extended star schema model
● Defined and modified Queries to satisfy business analysis and used Excel to format and slice and dice the data.
● Designed and optimized the queries (top customers, monthly incoming orders and revenues, product analysis, returns) and created reports.
fun office to work at with friendly co-workers
Receptionist, Administrative Assistant, Data Entry (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2015
starting out as a receptionist,i had small work loads but it was a fun and easy going job.eventually i was promoted as an administrative assistant to the HR and Legal team.It gave me more work to do which was of course a good thing.I also got to interact with more employees and got to know the co-workers and the company a bit more.there were many free lunches and breakfasts provided for us.some were random and others were for certain occasions and holidays.the office eventually closed and relocated which resulted in my termination,but i would have loved to have stayed much longer.
Pros
free lunch, fun and comfortable workplace
Cons
location was in san francisco which was a long and tiring commute for myself
Low job security but incredibly fun atmosphere
Localization Editor/Proofreader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2014
At SEGA, there really is no room not to have fun. It's an incredibly fun place to work, if they allow you to work there for long enough.

I learned tons of things from SEGA. It improved my work ethic and I honed my ability to write in a corporate environment.

Management recognized hard work and rewarded you when it was done. They were also very competent at their jobs.

My co-workers were some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone has similar interests and they all love that they're working in a place as entertaining as SEGA.

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people from the get go, but it was a welcome challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job had to be the atmosphere and the people. You've never met so many people excited about coming into work as the ones that were coming into SEGA everyday.
Pros
atmosphere, fun co-workers, and creative duties to complete
Cons
low job security, low amount of respect from producers and designers alike, a bit repetitive
Sega is a dynamic video game publisher where career growth is rewarded in a roll up your sleeves environment.
VICE PRESIDENT OF SALES (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 16, 2013
As VP of Sales for the Americas I am virtually located in Dallas, TX, spending two weeks per month in the San Francisco offices, with the balance of time spent in the field with my sales team and meeting with major customers. I am responsible for all packaged and digital sales, as well as, all channel marketing activity throughout the territory, to achieve all revenue and profit targets per the business plan while maintaining full P&L responsibility for sales and channel marketing budgets.

As a smaller publisher, Sega allows me the opportunity to work across the publishing and commercial organization for both current and mid-term business plans, providing for a more in-depth role as a key member of the executive team around BP execution, strategic brand and product planning, impacting the companies longer term positioning. Sega fosters an entrepreneurial environment where one must take on roles outside the specific job description while still working within the team structure to achieve targeted goals. This can at times stretch the organization, but I am surrounded by very talented people who possess a multitude of skills to help achieve the objectives.

As a small publishing company, this can at times be our greatest challenge to succeed in the highly competitive and ever changing interactive entertainment video game space, with fewer resources and smaller budgets. As a result, strategies have shifted dramatically over the past few years as Sega works to redefine its' vision on how to deliver consumer and stockholder value. While not impossible, it has created significant
  more... challenge as the organization deals with change.

The challenge of the job continues to be delivering on the business plan while the company works through these transitions. I must effectively resolve issues with limited resources while maximizing the return on each and every investment. This requires a continued focus on providing customer value that exceeds our share, delivering value added programs that maximize ROI, and maintaining a portfolio of business development programs in emerging markets such as expansion in Latin America and digital product delivery at retail.

In the face of a challenging period in our industry, the rewards of the assignment comes from the opportunity to learn multiple disciplines beyond my assigned role as VP of Sales, giving me the chance to put my "finger prints" on the development of our strategies. I believe this a benefit and privilege beyond being relegated to a specific role.
Pros
exciting enteractive entertainment industry, growth opportunities outside of assigned roles
Cons
limited resources, shifting objectives
Sega of America was so amazing in the day 9-9-99
CS Rep- Video Game Guidance &Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Redwood Shores/San Fran/South SFJuly 7, 2014
Truly enjoyed my 16 years at Sega.
Sorry it downsized.
Miss the SOA days Amazing company
Pros
game system to all new employees
Cons
n/a
Learned a lot from immediate management
QA Lead October (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2014
Again enjoyed my time here as well. Those who I worked directly under were great
Productive and fun workplace
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 15, 2013
Productive and fun workplace. Your co-workers become part of your family. Flexible hours if you had to deal with family needs.
Pros
flexible hours
PS3 Assistant Lead Standards Dept (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CaApril 19, 2012
Unfortunately due to downsizing I was laid off. But overall the work environment was the best I've had.
Great Company
Regional Sales Manager, Best Buy and Target (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 27, 2012
Great Company, fun products and exciting, fast-paced industry

Want to know more about Sega of America?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sega of America. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2