Seldin Company Employee Reviews

Stressful working environment, but some great people along the way.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2017
Started out with a great manager, but after a 1 1/2 years, new managers came and went and I had to assume more responsibilities with no pay increase or chances of promotion. Met a handful of great people to work with, but not many.
Pros
Nice remodeled office to work.
Cons
Unappreciative supervisors. More concerned with themselves.
easy place to work, poor management. fun job
Community business manager (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSNovember 15, 2017
Running the apartment complex was an exciting job i loved. When Seldin took over that changed. No one communicates and it just made working a hassle. Most of the tools needed would have to come out of pocket, they do not stay up on accounts and they were always being closed.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
no communication, if you are not around corporate you do not matter.
Working hard doesn't pay off for this company
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  IAOctober 24, 2017
They'll work you to death, if you allow them to. Had 10 regional supervisors in 4.5 years. Sad when two years you're with the company is considered long-term.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Too many hours, poor management, constant turnover
my work experiances
Lead Service Technician (Former Employee) –  frances street omaha neOctober 2, 2017
Supervised 4 employees ,completed maintenance on 376 apartments. the work place had many difficult situations .Worked with many different sub-contractors
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
not enough employees
Not much communication
Apartment Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Blair, NEJune 20, 2017
The communication between the manager and corporate is not very good. The manager says one thing and corporate says another. The items you need to do your job are rejected by corporate, etc.
Pros
easy work environment
Cons
no benefits
Great Place to Work
Regional Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaJune 15, 2017
Company provides many opportunities for both personal and professional growth in the property management field. Many great people to work with. Great place to work.
Pros
promotes from within and provides excellent training and learining opportunities
Cons
prefer not to say
Fire at will is their policy
Regional (Former Employee) –  Outside of OmahaJune 9, 2017
It's like a high school for 40-year-olds if you do not fit in with the click you will not last you're expected to work 50 hours or more a week at least you're never appreciated for your efforts it all matters on who you know and if they like you you can work hard and the best and be the best at your job never have a write up never do anything wrong and you will still get fired if they just don't like you.
Pros
Some benefits are good other are too pricey
Cons
It's not worth the daily stress you never know if you're going to have a job the next day
Negative Feedback was Right. ! ! !
Maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  iowaMay 5, 2017
This so called managing company is as dysfunctional and dishonest as they come ! They lure you in by talking seldin team spirit and how they help their employees succeed. And that's where it ends. The regional managers , who would be over a tech ,are really about covering their backsides by blaming service techs for their failures in experience as some feedback has stated. You would be well advised to adhere to other negative feedback about this company as it is all True ! And not just some disgruntled past employees. They will disrespect you, talk down to you and in general humiliate you when they feel like it and nobody cares ! You will and should be constantly looking over your shoulder as they are ruthless in their environment and the regional managers are like gods and are law, no matter how they lie to corporate office regionals over them. So Beware as you have been Warned !
Pros
Pay and benefits. This is the honey trap
Cons
Everything else ! !
Company is thriving and has great leader
Property Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 25, 2017
Company was a great one to work for. They had many managers that were well trained and were willing to train their employees. It was a very fast paced environment.
Fun place to work. Enjoyed the residents and co workers that worked at the complex
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 20, 2017
Very good company to work for. People at apts. Very nice, got along well with them ,enjoyed the hrs and meeting new people.lots of potential to grow.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Personal
Enigmatic
Lead Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 18, 2017
I cannot be honest here, so I'll just leave it at this. I would never consider working for this company again in any capacity or on any property whatsoever.
Lacking Leadership
Employee (Current Employee) –  CorporateMarch 9, 2017
Working at Seldin was great until Q2 2016. It was then one bad decision after another by the executive leadership. Middle management is lacking as well allowing employees to seemingly do whatever they want. Several people with multiple years of experience have left leaving an inexperienced, disorganized and apathetic attitude and culture.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Everything else
Very Shady
Community Bussiness Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 22, 2017
I will say that Seldin pays very well for the industry. However they will fire you at the drop of a hat.
There is little to no training and Senior Management is a joke.
Pros
pay well
Cons
everything else
Lacking support from upper management
Community Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 12, 2017
There is little to no support from upper management. Had an incident that required a great deal of attention, and could not get no help or quality guidance from management, probably because I was not located in Omaha, but in a different state. No questions were asked as follow up, and the guidance that was offered, I had already completed on my own. No real "empathy" for tenants. Was consistently told there was " no money". Struggled a great deal to provide a comparable living situation for all, on no budget. Had to use my own money and resources to get through monthly supplies.
Pros
Benefit package, my immediate staff was great - hand picked
Cons
Leadership, lacking communication, no upper management support, lack training, customer service quality lacking in many areas, not enough pay for the expected work load and the hurdles you have to jump through with no support
great upper management poor lower management
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 17, 2016
These people are great until the property management level where they all suck up and lie about there dirty little tricks that allow them to blame maintenance for virtually all delays and problems.
Worst Company I have ever worked for.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 12, 2016
Don't expect to last long no matter what position you have. They don't know anything about what needs to happen to make an apartment complex run. I was in maintenance and management is a JOKE. They have no idea what they are doing and think they know best. All managers do all day is sit in their chairs and call you and tell you what to do. I got let go for doing my job. All management and corporate are all friends so if you have any issues you have no one to go to. STAY AWAY! Unless you like being micro managed and yelled at for doing your job.
Lost their way
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  OmahaJuly 6, 2016
Seldin started out as a great place to work. But they have lost their way. The corporate culture is fearful. The attrition rate is staggering and they seem to be oblivious to the concerns and frustrations of their employees. Pay in my department was a little sub-standard. It was livable, but not particularly competitive. The work itself was kind of fun in the brief moments you weren't drowning in a pool of "top priority" deadlines.
Pros
I liked my coworkers
Cons
Very poorly managed
New management is horrible
Manager (Current Employee) –  LouisianaMay 27, 2016
Seldin was an awesome company prior to December 2015. The new staff and HR is horrible and very unethical. The only good thing I can say is that the pay is good but you better save because they fire for no reason
Pros
Good pay
Two housing projects here in Oklahoma City
Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 2, 2016
First let me say that my immediate supervisor was great. The two properties are nice on the outside. Typical workdays could be anywhere from relaxed to hectic, which is the usual in this business.

On the other hand, both properties are in the middle of NE Oklahoma City which is riddled with crime and poverty. The properties are dangerous. I heard gunshots a couple times while I worked there and picked up a spent 12 gauge shell one morning.
Also, there have been changes in Seldin's upper management. One of the upper management you'll be working with on the OKC properties is new and has had several complaints already.
Keep in mind also that Seldin doesn't own the necessary tools to maintain the properties. I own just about every tool I need, so when I left, those went with me. One would expect an employer to have some AC equipment; neither of Seldin's properties here have so much as a gauge set.
Finally, these are both Section 8 properties. If you've ever worked one, you'll know about the headaches that means. One's a senior property but the other has a number of tenants who don't work yet still draw Section 8 to live in homes that look nicer than your average middle class. That means you the taxpayer are paying their rent, you the taxpayer paid for the property, and you the taxpayer are required to keep fixing the things they break in order to keep your job.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with repairs, especially when nothing gets called in by residents. You have to go and walk through each apartment periodically just to generate work orders. In most apartments,
  more... residents call you when something breaks.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being far enough away from corporate offices to be autonomous, but when certain supervisors show up there is always heck to pay.
Do yourself a favor, and hold off applying to this until the chain of command gets worked out.

By the way, the heat units at one of the properties are computer controlled geothermal things. Have fun with that--I know I did.
Pros
Out of sight, out of mind.
Cons
Dangerous work environment, poor upper management.
Unorganized, Inexperienced Managers, Poor training
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaMarch 2, 2016
Overall the company has changed since my hire date drastically for the worst. Now they are a more micromanage type of company. Unfortunately they hire mediocre managers for their properties. I had to work with several in less than a year. The managers can basically do what ever they want just because, and if you put in a complain to HR don't wait for HR to investigate because it won't happen. The training is very poor. It's such a big unorganized company that as an employee you will fall through the cracks. The implemented a lot of new things that do not benefit the employee at all. Low commissions for leasing agents. Never knew how the bonus structure even worked for th AMs. Maybe in Omaha the morale is different on their properties, but here in Indiana I would not recommend Seldin. You will have no real advocacy because all the people who can help you are in Omaha NE and you will never even meet most of them, therefore no complaint nor problem from an employee is taken seriously.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor Management