Select Portfolio Servicing Employee Reviews

Unappreciative
Workflow Advocate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 29, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here unless it was do or die. Things could have changed since I worked there but it was usually miserable. Most of the people are so negative that it drains everything out of you to work. I felt underappreciated and overworked with little praise or even a raise. Too many times did I see management let go hard working, knowledgeable employees only to keep lazy incompetent ones. I am big on taking care of your valuable employees as they will continue to work hard for you so long as the appreciation is given. Otherwise it becomes monotonous and they end up finding an employer who will do just that. Everyone wants to feel appreciated especially when they are working hard. The moment I found a better opportunity I took it.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
short breaks, too difficult to receive year end bonuses/raise, stressful, negative environment, lacked positive change
Used to be fun and great communication. At one point, great team.
Default Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 12, 2017
I loved what I did and took great pride in what I did and who I worked with. I always put my off-site team first. I worked almost all Saturday's and always stayed late. I missed alot of time with my family and always or work first. Working with 7 business units, you had to be good at multi-tasking, work under pressure, be open to change constantly. There's so much more
Pros
Off site team was amazing. Alot to learn, took pride in their clients
Cons
Mgmt doesn't care about their employees, expect so much, expect more from the employees and mgmt gets the benefits, politics is huge, if you're not a favorite, then you aren't no one and won't go anywhere
Ridiculous workload and goals
REO Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTAugust 26, 2017
Workload is that of 3 people with 1 salary. The expectations and goals are ridiculous. Poor Management and communication. Incredibly stressful between co-workers
Pros
It was a good place to work in early years
Cons
Don't see to understand the balance between work/life balance
Sps. Inc.
Loss Mitigation Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2017
Poor work culture that doesn't value a work life balance. Weak pay and not a fun place to work. The experience gained is good as a feeder for other jobs like underwriting.
Pros
dress code
Cons
no unpaid time off and weak pay
Great Pay - Very Little Room for Advancement
Compliance Testing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 21, 2017
You can work like a maniac and not be recognized for anything. If all you care about is pay, this is the place for you but if you want to advance and make a name for yourself...stay away. Management is very nice aside from a few VPs who act like they're too good for everyone and can't be bothered by the peasants. Senior Management is awesome and very supportive but middle management is the opposite. Don't expect a promotion unless someone dies or leaves which with the great pay is very unlikely anyone would want to leave, If you start as a peon, you will remain a peon.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro-management, health benefits
Loan Counselor/Loss Mitigation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2017
Was a good first job to get in the mortgage industry. Proved good training. offer tuition for schooling. Good atmosphere . Good Mangers, people, job.
Use to be a good place to work
Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 17, 2017
There is no work balance. Top management is not honest and do not care about anything that happens in your life. There is a particular manager that asked me to come into work before or after my grandmother's funeral. I also got a call a couple of hours after my father passed away asking when i was coming back to work. I really loved the job for a time being. Management ruined everything.
Pros
Fun group of people to work with
Cons
You do not get paid for the amount of work you do or spend working.
Learning environment
Collection II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 9, 2017
Collections and Loss mitigations Calls
• Worked with borrowers, real estate agents, attorneys, agencies and realtors to determine workout options. Including loan modifications, pre-foreclosure sales, deed-in-lieu, repayment plans, and forbearance agreements. Reviewed home owners’ income and expenses, analyzed the workout options available to the home owner, based upon investor guidelines. Implement rules, regulations, laws and methods of collection
• Independently interpret and apply mortgage collection/ servicing guidelines to the collection of delinquent mortgage loans.
• Maintain a high degree of customer contact, through inbound and outbound customer calls.
Great Opportunity
Late Stage Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84119June 1, 2017
Working here was pretty great. Great people, good career. The call center portion isn't the best but other departments are good. I would recommend to someone else.
Investor Reporting Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 27, 2017
I enjoyed working at SPS. It was hard to move up in the company and getting a promotion was like pulling teeth. With that being said, I really liked working there and would go back if I had the chance.
Okay Job
Loss Mitigation Agent / Loan Resolution agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2017
I did forclosure and loss mitigation work for this company and they were very rigid in there work culture which lead to being a difficult place to work
n/a
Mortgage Collections Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2017
Do not want to rate this company at this time. Just looking for a better position with a good company. I have several years of experience in management.
Great pay but horrible management
Late Stage Collector (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 20, 2017
Sps pays very well but they do not care about their employees they would rather hire new people rather than work with the people they have who are good at their jobs. Their training isn't the best they mostly just put you on the phone and that is how you learn. Supervisors were great but the managers are not. HR is even worse. People seem to get fired daily. They get really good scores from the regulators but home owners hate them because their processes take forever. I really do think they could be a great company if they took the time to care about their employees. They make tenured employees wait on a waiting list for another shift but hire new people for the shifts that others are on a list for. 85% of the time supervisors are in a meeting so there is very little help on the call floor. It's hard to be promoted even if you know what you are doing. It's not what you know but who you know. If you can get close to the VP you're in. They do not treat everyone the same again it's who you know. The only reason there are two stars is because the pay was good.
Pros
Pay
Cons
high turn over, bad management
Pay does not compensate for horrible work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 29, 2017
In the almost 3years with SPS in various departments. The biggest issue is the abilities, (or lack thereof) of the management teams. As a supervisor my direct manager ordered that I falsify internal audit results to hide processing violations. When these concerns were brought to the department VP they were ignored. HR demoted and transferred me to another department which was equally inept. Poor or nonexistent training is met with punishment for not completing processes as they are expected to be done with no clear guidance as to how those processes should be completed. This is a good place to get your foot in the door to understanding mortgage servicing but not for much else.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Pay, training, management
Great place to get experience
Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 28, 2016
SPS is a great company to get experience in mortgage servicing. If you are looking for a company to grow and develop with long term, this is not the company for you. Little room for growth.
Very Dark and Depressing place to be
collections (Former Employee) –  utahOctober 22, 2016
This is a very dark and evil place to work. There is a sinister feel as is some have spiritually compromised themselves to advance. If you allow yourself to become a part of this culture, it will not be easy to look at yourself in the mirror.
productive and fun
Mortgage Servicer (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTSeptember 30, 2016
its a good company, having good employees.the hardest part of the job is the micro managed system. having a good managerial systems. during my time, i builded a strong team work play.
Pros
gift cards
Cons
mico managed
Cut throat environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  UtahJuly 1, 2016
The company has tons of opportunity for growth, but leadership is weak and are quick to point fingers. There is a lack of collaboration between groups and even between individuals.
Pros
High pay, generous bonus
Cons
Toxic environment
More like sweatshop
Collector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2016
This company only cares about the head honchos , they forget the agents. Agents have to learn new things everyday with no breather. You feel like it's prison ,with someone constantly walking down your aisle, it's too much micro management .
Pros
Cons
Micro management, sweat shop.
Great pay, but not patient managment.
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 4, 2016
Working in a mortgage enviorment is tough, and requires to be repeated and be patient. The training they offer, does not offer this.

I started this job and wanted to walk out every day of training class.
The training in the first step in joining a company, shouldnt they be the "cheerleaders" of the company then?
Not for SPS! They were rude, impatient, and immature.
Multiple times they would not go over things again when requested.
Learning how the mortgage industry works is tough enough and having such unapproachable people being the guide thru it was horrible.

I liked the job months after training ended.
They are super strict about their attendance (they should but they should also be a bit more flexible with emergencies with our children at home).

I would recommend this job to someone who literally just wants to come to work, and not be social what so ever and learns quickly.

the management is not very helpful, and misleading.
I would reach out to employees that were there for years before the management after a point.
Pros
hour lunch, good pay, holidays off, sundays always off
Cons
managment, saturday schedules, procedures on calls.