Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews

Challenging and positive
Chief Nursing Officer (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHApril 21, 2017
Began as a PRN nurse, advanced to Chief Nursing Officer. Select has many opportunities for growth and development, great support network, on going educational and advancement opportunities
Pros
Mission and Values
Terrible place to work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 18, 2017
Management is bad the CNO Dawn don't know what she is doing. They only have one night aid after all the others have quit for being treated poorly. Staff refuses to help. Constantly working short as they can't keep noc shift techs. Patients are often no turned or cared for. Seen nurses nap in the middle of the night staff constantly on their cell phones. Person who watches monitors is either sleeping of playing on the phone. Working on a nursing home is better then this place.
Don't let the pay full you
Clinical Liaison (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 16, 2017
Pay is not the bad thing here... but if you like job security to go with that pay run far away. You will have none here. NO one in the company has anyones' back because everyone is scared to loose their own jobs. Someone always has to take the fall, even if no mistake was made but simply goals aren't being met due to bad patient care or something else totally out of your hands. The company has unrealistic goals with no tools to help anyone reach them (this is in every position, even clinical). You could say there's room for growth but thats only because someone either gets fired or quits every other day.
Pros
somewhat work-life balance
Cons
no job security, no support from management, Unrealistic goals
Select Specialty Spine (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 15, 2017
This was the worst professional employment experience of my career. My only regret is not leaving sooner.

White-Collar bullies, corrupt administration with no moral compass, integrity or conscience.
Pros
Bi weekly pay, as long as HR doesnt destroy your time cards and force you to go to CEO and Attorney for Loss Wages.
Cons
Literally every single thing in every single way.
company closed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2017
I liked this job at first but then I started to hate it. They kept canceling people because the censuses were low. They couldn't keep enough patients and then there were times where you had to work the floor yourself with 18 patients. I loved the patients that we did have
Pros
learn things from the nurses
Cons
census low
Very Busy
Respiratory Therapist RRT (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNApril 11, 2017
I love working at LTACH facilities. I like getting to know the pts and seeing the difference we make. It is very busy and like an assembly line. The bed don't have time to get cold before having an admission. Sometimes the new pt is hangibg out in hall because the room is still being cleaned. It does have job security. Don't get flexed much. We get very complex patients and family can be challenging along with the patient themself. I love my coworkers. Whenever a coworker has a challenging issue with personal life, we all help. We also do a lot of donations and charities. The hardest part is dealing with family. Pay is one of the best in the area. Insurance don't have. I hear its not very good. Still paper chart. Need to get with the times. A lot of redudent charting. Overall very satisfied with working here.
Pros
Great protocols. We have a lot of direction to do what we feel is right for the pt.
Cons
Paper charting
Its a great environment work place ,Its nice company to work with, I enjoying working as a housekeeping floor tech, doing a great job, and learning a
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 7, 2017
It's a good environment work place, very friendly employees especially the management. Nice company with complete benefits and etc.Serving the public a diligent service, very clean building inside and outside thru the guidance of the management, thru the cooperation of all employees and also the hardwork of the housekeeping department. 5 years consecutive best hospital in central florida.
Pros
Not free lunch, not free dinner, only free if theres a holiday party.
Cons
Working 8 hrs a day, first break time 15 minutes, lunch break 30 minutes, 3rd break time 15 minutes
I enjoy working at Select
HIM Credentialing Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 4, 2017
I have learned a great deal at Select. Each LTACH is small. Our patients are very ill and the families often need comfort and reassurance from staff. You are part of a team effort.
Easy to relocate, nationwide.
Unit Secretary/Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 31, 2017
This company is Nationwide. You can relocate anywhere. Nursing staff work 12 hour shifts, with every other weekend. Very hard work, critical care patients, short staffed, 5 patients per RN.
Health insurance expensive with $2000-$5000 deductible!! Not good.
Pros
12 HR shifts
Cons
Heavy patient load.
Not a bad place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 23, 2017
A typical is woking with 5-6 patients on a very busy unit.
I learned how to draw blood.
There is a high turnover rate in management.
Workplace culture has changed from pleasant and enjoyable to stressful.
The hardest part of the job is performing other duties plus nursing duties, for example, trach care when there are two respiratory therapists available.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great staff who understand the concept of teamwork.
Super stressful work environment from . Great co workers. Corporate and administration does NOT care about patients or staff
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  FLORIDAMarch 21, 2017
Fortunately I had a great team and day to day teamwork was great. Absolutely no support from corporate or local administration they only focus on financial gains and blame front line staff for profit loss. Lots of pressure to get patients out regardless of medical issues. Very demanding families and limitations on resources.
Pros
Good Salary. No weekends
Cons
High stress. Corporate pressure no support
Interesting pts and families
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 18, 2017
3-5 pt/RN ratio. ACLS acquired. Pts had multi diagnosis that were critical conditions. Staff is a true team culture. CNO was belittling of staff in front of other staff. Hardest part of job was having 5 pts that were total care pts.
Pros
Extremely interesting position
Cons
Work overload
Its the same everywhere else.
RN (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMarch 15, 2017
Very busy hospital that doesn't take into account the acuity of the patients and the nurse/patient ratio. Pretty much like every other hospital in the country
Not a good place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Youngstown market.March 13, 2017
The best part of the job was the patients. You can learn a lot here about ventilated patients, wound care etc. The worst part it is a for profit company which means less staff, no supplies and minimal raises. Management, including corporate, don't care about you or what you think. It's all about the bottom dollar. You don't have to be educated to be in a Ceo or other management position just well liked by district CEO. Management are back stabbers. You constantly work understaffed because they always have to make sure their main facility is well staffed first. Not a good place to work. The management runs a lot of the good people off.
Pros
Patient population
Love this company
Rehabilitation Manager/Lead Rehab Terapist (Current Employee) –  York, PAMarch 13, 2017
I have worked here for 9.5 years and absolutely love the challenges and fast paced atmosphere. Team work is integral as well necessary for the improvement of our patients and staff morale
Pros
Teamwork, challenging
Cons
Patient family issues
Hectic and disorganized
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GeorgiaMarch 12, 2017
This company took over my facility in June 2016,since then it has been awful,management cares nothing about their employees, we have not been able to work full time since they took over,the census has been as low as 12,some employees don't work for weeks,they manage by intimidation, they are arrogant and rude,and disrespectful, the communication is lousy,the nurses are sorry,they talk to the patients like they're doing them a favor by being there,the staff turnover is at its all time high,you're overworked and underpaid sometimes there's only one tech to 18 patients.
Pros
Cons
always working short
Enjoyable to place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 28, 2017
All management had an open door policy so that anyone could come speak to them at any time whether it was with new ideas, or complaints. Great company to work for.
The hardest part of the job was the nurse pt. ratio, when hired I was told it would be a 4:1 ratio, was typically more than that on a daily basis.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees and of course the patients and their families.
Unrealistic expectations of staff, they will leave out this information when you are hired
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakland, PAFebruary 13, 2017
worst management I have ever seen. Staff turnover is constant . Pittsburgh/Oakland campus is the worst. Do not go. They make it look pretty non the outside but when u get there look out!!!
Pros
Most co-workers are great to work with
Cons
hardly ever get to eat, unreasonable expectations from staff, poor management
Favorite Job
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2017
Once you get the hang of the workload, this job is pretty easy. Pay is excellent and management is good. The most enjoyable part of this job would be the work environment.
Corporate management is out of touch
RN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2017
My colleagus were a delight to work with. Everyone always wanted to do the right things for the patients, but upper management (corporate) never was aligned with the staff. They tried to pass cookie cutter policies to be applied the same at every hospital regardless of geography or pt population. Regional folks are mean and cunning, they alwats tried to pit staff against each other. CNO never had the ability to run their department because they were always busy being on phone meetings and explaining why they had "6 hrs of overtime" instead of being able to spend time with their nurses. No respect from management for their employees. $$$ was the only bottom line. CEO never left their office....they would bad mouth and back staff leadership all the time. Not fit to manage tbe hospital. No respect for nurses.
Pros
My peers were great
Cons
Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Specialty Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9