Select Specialty Hospital

Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Thriving company in the LTAC arena
Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2016
The admissions coordinator is the dedicated peron who makes sure that all transfers into the facility are seamless, which includes making sure we have authorization from the Insurance carrier for the admission, communicating to the team/ceo about any special equiptment needed for the hospital stay, air mattress, clinitron bed,wound vac etc.

Management here is awesome, they share last years accomplishments and give us a sense of what our current goals should be regarding quotas and overall perfomance for the hospital.

The hardest part of my job is building relationships with patients and families then seeing them leave the hospital although very happy to see them transition to a lower level of care.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to participate in the advancement of treatment here at Select Specialty Hospital, I enjoy greeting the patients upon arrival and making sure that the accommodations for their hospital stay are in place, and that when they leave, they feel they have had a great experience here.
Pros
Hospital administrative team very intuned with patient care needs in the community.
Cons
Far from home
Hard work
Certified Nurse Assistance (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 12, 2015
Hard work!!! If your are not equip to work 12 hours non stop, this is not the job for you.
If your are not able to handle not getting a raise, this is not the job for you.
If your are not used to constant changes of the rules, this is not the job for you.
If you are not used to being looked over for a position in reference to advancement, this is not the job for you.
If you are not used to being belittled, this is not the job for you.
If you are used to constant changes, being belittled because of your position, overlooked for a promotion, not receiving your pay raises because of any reason and if you are used to working hard, non stop, this is the perfect job for you.

God bless!
Pros
You make your on schedules
Cons
Your days scheduled off arent always gauranteed.
Constantly short staffed. Low staff morale
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 13, 2016
Staff morale is low due to poor organization and consistently working short staffed. Management provides poor guidance and low regard for nurse well-being.
Pros
Caring for those in need
Cons
Poor workplace culture
Professional atmosphere with focus on chronically ill patient care
RN (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 30, 2015
Select Specialty Hospital is a place that allows a professional nurse to use her/his assessment skills. The patients are chronically critical ill with numerous comorbidities that challenge me on daily bases.
Education is important and the classes offered her are remedial as well as advanced. My co-workers are helpful and trustful. The management are supportive and rely on informed nurses. The hardest part of my day is charting for computer and hand written charting is required. All in all, this hospital is great place to work.
Pros
excellent educational offerings
Cons
written and computerized charting system
Honestly the worst
Management (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 22, 2015
Was so disappointed in the management. As an upper level manager, I thought it would be acceptable to give ideas to improve the employee work atmosphere. Was I ever wrong, I was terminated that day for doing nothing wrong but bringing employee concerns to light. There has been nearly 100% turnover in 2 years there. That should speak to something. The corporate HR team over St Louis area leaves a lot to be desired now. Unfortunately, the new RHRD and Corporate HR are not very good in their jobs, hence the high turnover and low census.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Regional and Corporate Management is bad
Don't waste your time working for this company
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt.Clemens, MiSeptember 18, 2015
This company has a point system system which is designed to get rid of employees quickly. Their pay system isn't fair. They work you too hard for the little benefits that they give you. There is no room for advancement here because they only have one department. And they are racist.
Pros
Good experience to gain employment with other hospitals
Cons
They treat Nursing Assistant's like second class citizens with no respect.
the flexibility to learn a number of positions
Health Information Tech (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 26, 2015
I worked on a daily basis with a wide range of different professionals. I filed, scanned completed request and completed any other task that were given to me. I learned time management and how to be very proficient. I learned many different positions during the 13 years on staff. Medial records was the last department I was in for 6 yrs. I worked well with all management. I found favor and confidence with most co- workers. The hardest of the job would be when there was a high patient count this made the work load very heavy. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a schedule that was beneficial for the company and myself. Plus there was a group of people that made the job enjoyable.
Pros
flexible schedule learn differant positions
Cons
we were laid off
Excellent Place to Work!!!
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 25, 2016
Select Specialty Hospital is an amazing place to work! Our team members do outstanding work with critically ill patients. Miracles do happen!

Our excellent pay, sign-on bonus and benefits are another plus.
Pros
Compassionate managers, great teamwork!
The Leadership team is always willng to help as much as they can.
Health Information Management Manager (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 7, 2016
A typical day at work is being able to make sure all the admissions and discharges have been scanned.
You have to be flexible for the staff and physicians to make the system work.
I have been challenged to step back that being on EHR and having to go back to paper it was the hardest part of the job. And trying to keep up with all of the discharges and admissions
I love the staff and physicians because that we have and they work and help each other out no matter what is going on with patients or other Team members.
Pros
Hospitalist group help out in completing all the medcal records on time.
Cons
Hard to get extra help with going on vacation.
Worst place I've worked in 27 years of nursing!
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2016
This place is DANGEROUS! Don't work here if you value your Nursing License. I would get written up for leaving a blood requisition on my cart, but a nurse actually kept her job after, unbelievably cutting off an NG at the nares when ordered to D/c NG!!! Management cares only about profit at the expense of patient safety and basic care.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Great team
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 28, 2015
Select Specialty offers advanced nursing care along with a strong team of Respiratory therapist, physical therapist , occupational therapist, nutritionist, speech therapist, and wound care team. The advantages for working at select include great benefits, competitive pay, and advancement opportunities. Select is dedicated to excellent patient care and team work.
RN current employee
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2015
I love the people I work with. Lots of favoritism, cronyism, present. I had hoped new CEO and CNO would make a difference but it is still the same. If the core doesn't like you then you do not get promotions. I have seen it happen on many occasions.
Pros
workers are nice, hard working poople
Cons
no fairness, favortism, croynism
case manager (Former Employee) –  canton, ohJuly 27, 2015
Lots of advancement opportunities but really long hours.
Lots of friendly co-workers but management changed three times in one year. Overall a good place to work just really long hours.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
management changes
Nice people, beautiful facility, forward thinking.
Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2016
Enjoy the multi-disciplinary approach to healthcare. Management is always interested in helpful suggestions to improve patient care and the workplace. I enjoy all my co-workers. A relaxed atmosphere and yet very productive.
The hardest part of the job is being on-call.
Horrible
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 14, 2016
This hospital is a joke. I would get call outs all the time, they go by 3 different schedule. Every time I show up for work I had to go home. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Select Specialty is a great avenue for a nurse to learn great clinical skills.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIDecember 9, 2015
Due to personal reasons especially being a previous Clinical Nurse Manager, I decline from answering this question due to observing and communicating opportunities that were never addressed.
Pros
Experiences is comorbidity patients.
Cons
Delay of being able to advance, receive bonuses, and promotions.
" Stay away from this place"
RESPIRATORY (Former Employee) –  GAINSVILLE,FLAJuly 26, 2015
This place is run by very unorganized nursing management, HR MANAGEMENT, unstable and uncaring CNO'S, THERE IS NO MANAGEMENT IN THE RESPIRATORY DEPARTMENT, its ran by a very conniving, back stabbing lead therapist who does not care about anybody but herself, she should be fired herself. This place states about how its a great place to work-NOTHING BUT -"B____T", THEY "LIE,LIE!!!! KEEP AWAY YOU WILL BE FIRED AND THEY WILL MAKE STUFF UP ABOUT YOUR PERFORMANCE. Its a real shame that a place that looks good from the outside, can unleash the most rudest people, I have worked in many hospitals in my career, and never experience the unprofessional characters of Doctors, who only last there maybe 3,6 month, or a year the most, very bad patient care due to low staffing, even at the corporate level, they bring them to hospital and they dont care, this company should be shut down for poor care to the patients and the UNCARING TO THE EMPLOYEES.
"CLINICAL STAFF IS THE BACKBONE OF HOSPITALS, BUT MANAGEMENT THERE IS BLIND AS "BAT"

PLEASE-PLEASE DONT WORK THERE, ESPECIALLY IN THE RESPIRATORY DEPARTMENT BECAUSE THE LEAD THERAPIST IS UNCARING AND WILL FIRE YOU BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.
Pros
GREAT KITCHEN STAFF.
Cons
POOR STAFFING, BAD MANGEMENT AND DOCTORS
Great co-workers
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  oklaDecember 18, 2015
Not much room for advancement as this is a small facility. great people to work for and with. Would reconsider returning to this business closer to the end of my carrer as a great place to retire.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not much chance for advancement
Nice place to work
Health Information Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 28, 2016
Select Specialty has been a great employer. I like the fact that you can train in other areas and get certifications for advancement with the company.
Challenging work place
PTA (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day working in acute care is getting the pt up and walking, getting them stronger so they can hopefully return home. I have learned that you have to have a tough exterior working in acute care with a strong stomach.
Co - workers are amazing, anything you need they will help any way they can
The hardest part of the job would have to be seeing some of the wounds on some of the patients. Its heart breaking
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a pt walk out and get discharged from therapy
Pros
Seeing a pt walk and be discharged home
Cons
Seeing some of the wounds on some of the patients