Select Specialty Hospital

Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Company does follow its core values and is a good learning environment
Respiratory Supervisor/Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 17, 2016
Overall is a great place to work. As an employee you have great expectations placed on you daily. The education is exceptional.
Overall good place to work, poor census.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2016
Great people employed there but the census is inconsistent. Without a constant patient census, PTO banks are exhausted to make full paychecks.
Horrible
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 14, 2016
This hospital is a joke. I would get call outs all the time, they go by 3 different schedule. Every time I show up for work I had to go home. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Pay
Challenging work place
PTA (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day working in acute care is getting the pt up and walking, getting them stronger so they can hopefully return home. I have learned that you have to have a tough exterior working in acute care with a strong stomach.
Co - workers are amazing, anything you need they will help any way they can
The hardest part of the job would have to be seeing some of the wounds on some of the patients. Its heart breaking
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a pt walk out and get discharged from therapy
Pros
Seeing a pt walk and be discharged home
Cons
Seeing some of the wounds on some of the patients
Nice place to work
Health Information Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 28, 2016
Select Specialty has been a great employer. I like the fact that you can train in other areas and get certifications for advancement with the company.
Worst place I've worked in 27 years of nursing!
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2016
This place is DANGEROUS! Don't work here if you value your Nursing License. I would get written up for leaving a blood requisition on my cart, but a nurse actually kept her job after, unbelievably cutting off an NG at the nares when ordered to D/c NG!!! Management cares only about profit at the expense of patient safety and basic care.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Hi
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2016
I loved it there but no room to advance and I wish I could have. I won't go back I will just simply move on and I just want everyone there to be happy as a clam on a sunny day.
Has the right values
RT (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 13, 2016
The company is on the right track just not using the proper equipment and not a real pharmacy CEO is great CNO is goods hands on when needed.
Pros
Good ethics
Cons
Bad ratio RT to PT
Nice people, beautiful facility, forward thinking.
Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2016
Enjoy the multi-disciplinary approach to healthcare. Management is always interested in helpful suggestions to improve patient care and the workplace. I enjoy all my co-workers. A relaxed atmosphere and yet very productive.
The hardest part of the job is being on-call.
fast paced
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 10, 2016
I worked in the SICU which was very advanced for a new nurse but I did learn a lot about all kind of disease processes and how to treat them work well with my co workers and with the doctors and when to call them with changes in patient conditions.
Professional atmosphere with focus on chronically ill patient care
RN (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 30, 2015
Select Specialty Hospital is a place that allows a professional nurse to use her/his assessment skills. The patients are chronically critical ill with numerous comorbidities that challenge me on daily bases.
Education is important and the classes offered her are remedial as well as advanced. My co-workers are helpful and trustful. The management are supportive and rely on informed nurses. The hardest part of my day is charting for computer and hand written charting is required. All in all, this hospital is great place to work.
Pros
excellent educational offerings
Cons
written and computerized charting system
My co-workers were wonderful to work with, they appreciated all I did for the facility. I wore many hats, so to speak.
Unit Secretary/Admissions Coordinator/CNA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2015
This institution was all paper, so we were very busy. A lot of the procedures for our patients were "send outs" so I spent much time on the phone setting appointments for the procedures, then setting up transportation to get them there. I had a multi-line phone system I was in charge of answering, plus a call light system for 38 patients. In addition, a telemetry monitoring system for patients who were on heart monitors. It was crazy, busy but that is "where I lived"! When I am on auto-pilot, I function best under stress, I maintain a calm demeanor, knowing it doesn't help to get flustered, it only adds to the chaos, and you will cause shut-down. I enjoy a challenge, I am a multi-tasker in all aspects of my life.
Pros
I was very satisfied with the company for the most part, Loved my co-workers, I keep in touch with many of them.
Cons
Nursing worked short too often.
Honestly the worst
Management (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 22, 2015
Was so disappointed in the management. As an upper level manager, I thought it would be acceptable to give ideas to improve the employee work atmosphere. Was I ever wrong, I was terminated that day for doing nothing wrong but bringing employee concerns to light. There has been nearly 100% turnover in 2 years there. That should speak to something. The corporate HR team over St Louis area leaves a lot to be desired now. Unfortunately, the new RHRD and Corporate HR are not very good in their jobs, hence the high turnover and low census.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Regional and Corporate Management is bad
Great co-workers
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  oklaDecember 18, 2015
Not much room for advancement as this is a small facility. great people to work for and with. Would reconsider returning to this business closer to the end of my carrer as a great place to retire.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not much chance for advancement
Busy 30 bed ltach unit, good pay, very disorganized
Charge RN LTACH (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 15, 2015
Select specialty is a 30 bed ltach unit where I have been charge nurse for several years, what I enjoy about my job is my pay and co-workers. What I don't like about the hospital is the high turnover rate and leadership. It is a very challenging place to work for.
Good place for experience in nursing procedures
cna (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 15, 2015
Good place to learn my health care procedures if you're a up coming nurse. Gives you a chance to get hospital experience and learn how to use hospital equipment.
Pros
pay is good and great holiday pay
Cons
RN's become to familar with employees they favor.
I do not recommend applying for Select Specialty Hospital
employee (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 12, 2015
The only thing that I can say positive about this company is that they have descent pay. Management has something left to be said.
Select Specialty is a great avenue for a nurse to learn great clinical skills.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIDecember 9, 2015
Due to personal reasons especially being a previous Clinical Nurse Manager, I decline from answering this question due to observing and communicating opportunities that were never addressed.
Pros
Experiences is comorbidity patients.
Cons
Delay of being able to advance, receive bonuses, and promotions.
over worked employees
Patient Care Tech (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 19, 2015
over worked employees, working understaffed, not getting 15 min breaks. Poor management, unable to report unsafe work environment.
Horrible
Certified Nursing Assistant/Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 19, 2015
I hated it there. You could be a really great worker but they would frown upon what you may not did or what someone else did. No team work at all. The nurses will not help you you was stuck on your own. They did not care about patient care only there money. Was not compensated well for all the work that I had to do. I was over worked and underpaid. I worked 7-7p so we did all the meal, baths, and get ups. We did all patient care if we were busy they still though we was suppose to drop what we were already doing and go answer the call light or put a person on the bed pan. The only pro was the 12hr because you didn't have to work that many days.
Pros
12hrs