Select Specialty Hospital

Select Specialty Hospital United States Employee Reviews

Army
Cook (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLJanuary 3, 2015
Food Specialist, 92G
• Monitoring the funds for the facility
• Plan and write nutritious menus
• Regulate and maintain of inventory
• Lead and train soldiers
A fun work place, great opportunity for advancement
Admission Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2014
Pros: free parking, on bus line
Cons: short breaks
Atypical work is busy. I learned alot about ltac, My managers over the years were great. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was visiting with patients that had no family. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people.
avoid
hosp emp (Former Employee), Southern USDecember 28, 2014
Pros: decent pay, excellent educational programs
Cons: back breaking work, labor intensive patients
Much of what you learn in orientation is not applied to facility. You are told this an atmosphere that is not a rehab nor a long term care facility and that you are there to pick up where the hospitals have failed, but not so....basically what I gained from this experience was that you were to pass your meds, chart, clock out on time, and keep your mouth shut. Was told that these patients are not critical enough to be in an ICU, however many of your patients may have ET tubes, be on cardiac drips especially levophed among other critical drips all while having 5-6 patient load. I believe that I just described a ICU pt when someone who is hemodynamically unstable and requires frequent monitoring. Now in saying that they have excellent educational programs, systematic way of doing things.
A positive, fast-paced work environment
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 16, 2014
Pros: on occasion we would receive free lunches catered in to the hospital through staff physicians, drug reps and patient family members.
Cons: sometimes due to heavy work loads we would have to forfeit breaks and work overtime.
I really enjoyed working at Select Specialty Hospital, thus the reason I stayed with the company for the past 11 yrs and was very disappointed to see it close. It was a very positive and fast-paced work environment with competent and highly educated employees who posess a caring spirit for the sick. In the pharmacy on a typical day we would prepare i.v. medications for approximately 25-40 patients on a daily basis. Our management team was very nurturing and understanding to the hospital staff, making sure we had every tool required to properly care for the patients. During my employment with Select I met lots of friendly people both co-workers and family of the patients learning about their lifestyles and building a sort of family type work environment. I also learned various job specifics outside of the pharmacy practice including management and nursing. The hardest part of my job was losing patients that I had developed relationships with and grown close to.
YES I LOVE WISH THEY WERE STILL HERE
HEAD CNA (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2014
I LOVE WORKING FOR SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL IT WAS LEARNING EXPERMENT PLACE I LEARN ALOT IF THEY WERE STILL IN LITTLE ROCK AR I WELL BE STILL THERE I GD PLACE TO WORK ONE OF BEST I EVER WORK AT THE MANAGEMENT TEAM DID NOT MIND ABT HELPING THE WORKER WE WORK AT A TEAM IT WAS NO HARD ABT THE JOB ONLY IF WE HAD SOME NURSE THAT DID NOT WANT TO WORK ARE SOME CNA DID NOT WANT WORK BUT THE MANAGEMENT TEAM HURRY AND GOT RID OF THEM CAUSE WE WERE A TEAM PLAYER WE ALL GOT ALONE THAT'S GOOD PART ABOUT AND WE TOOK CARE OF THE PT'S
Great pay, great co-workers, poor management and worst in patient falls/injuries
Staff RN (Former Employee), Flint, MIDecember 8, 2014
This hospital is very fast-paced, and you have to care for 4 to 5 nearly intensive care patients on your shift. The pay was very good, but the stress was not worth it! The nurse aides are, aside from a bad one here and there, are the best nurse aids I have ever worked with!
Management changes rules frequently, almost on a weekly basis.
I remember one night that I had 5 pts: two on vents, 3 tube feedings, tons of wound care and 13 IV piggybacks in one night..then 2 cardiac arrests an hour apart!
This hospital is a great learning experience for a new nurse, or for somebody wanting to make a lot of money....OT is available all the time, as people call in sick frequently, and Select relies on agency staff, as they can never keep enough of their own. But, if you work full-time 12s, you can get a nice chunk of time off every pay period without using vacation days!
PROs:
good pay..plus an additional $3/hr for being charge nurse
lots of time off
great co-workers (we all wonder why the heckl we work there!)
CONs
very high stress level
poor management
high stress level
high stress level
Challenging Work Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), West Allis, WIDecember 5, 2014
This is by far the hardest job I have ever had, including all the years I worked in business. This job requires great attention to detail, a high level of organization and time management and extreme professionalism. Fortunately for me and my business background, I excel at my job in a different way from my peers.
avoid
Full time nights respiratory therapy (Former Employee), West Allis, WIDecember 5, 2014
high turn over and poor quality control, and difficult recruiting staff cheap work environment
n/a
Director of Business Development (Current Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth MarketDecember 3, 2014
Overall I have enjoyed my career with Select Specialty Hospital. I have had great mentors.
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee), Nashville-Davidson, TNDecember 2, 2014
Always understaffed, and over-worked. Suppose to get no more than 3 patients. Always had 4 patients. Management was not very good. Coworkers did help. Rarely got an uninterrupted break. Assignments were most of the time, all over the floor, instead of being close together.
teamwork
Wound Care Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Metairie, LANovember 22, 2014
Wonderful place to work before new management came. staff worked together and always had each other's back. management was always involved in day to day business. too bad they had to sell and new management mmade dramatic changes too quickly
wonderful
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Hammond, INNovember 20, 2014
This is an excellent place to plant your roots. management is great, co-workers are great. Patient load fair. great place to receive knowledge in many areas of nursing and medicine. this company offers excellent assistance with school and will allow you to advance in your career.
I assisted in opening the North Florida Surgery Center and enjoyed beginning a new business and working with others who also were beginning.
Registerd Nurse (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLNovember 11, 2014
Pros: receptive management, and informed patients with less anxiety prior to surgery.
Cons: i honestly can think of no cons.
I admitted patients for same day surgery; oriented them to surroundings, and what to expect. I started their IV's and began their medications and admission information. When admissions was completed, I recovered patients from anesthesia & discharged them home with follow up instructions. I eventuallly took over the pre-admissions of patients, with their initial interview & assessment & education for surgery. I also took over Quality Assurance, Employee Infection & Education, and Physician Credentialing.
Stressful position.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), West Allis, WINovember 10, 2014
Pros: great team
Cons: low empathy in management.
Case management for chronically critically ill patients in a financially motivated environment.
It was Like working with family.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 3, 2014
Pros: great bonds
Cons: favoritism.
Working for Select Specialty has gave me a balance on my life throughout the years. Its a great place that you can travel within the company to different states and cities. You big a great bond with your coworkers and Patients as if you guys have known one another for a life time.
Enjoyable work place
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIOctober 26, 2014
I am a very compassionate, empathetic, goal-oriented, caring person. I enjoy working with the elderly because every day I can make a difference. A typical day at work includes daily bathing or showering patients, feeding patients, passing trays, daily transfers specified by physical therapy, charting of ADLs, hourly checks, and patient sitting as needed. I learned new things everyday and that's why I loved working for this company such as assisting with wound care which I absolutely love, helping respiratory therapty (RT) with mouth care and treaments along with them helping us to transfer patients with high risk airways. Helping the nurses with vital signs and assiting them as needed. I also helped getting rooms ready for new admits and helping the patient with packing when discharged. My co-workers were awesome a very team good team-orientated enviornment. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference in patients' lives every day which is pretty awesome, and I loved assisting the wound nurse with dressing and dressing changes. The hardest part of my job would probably be cleaning up the sputum from the trachs. It was part of my job and I did it but it was my least favorite thing to do.
Difficult to navigate, at times hostile work environment.
Charge RN (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MOOctober 19, 2014
Pros: well compensated
Cons: mine field, always on pins and needles with management.
Typically the nurse to patient ratio ended up being 5 to 1. On average the patient acuity was very high. New management, still learning how to communicate with staff. Co-workers were fabulous, very hard working and always striving for excellence. The patient population and the caregivers were the most enjoyable part of the job. Really need to be able to look at the whole picture when caring for these patients. Nurses go above and beyond at this facility.
Regional management needs to be improved/replaced. Great company, needed niche in healthcare.
Leadership Team (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEOctober 8, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: poor onsite training, poor regional management, poor communication
Involved in a start-up with regional trainers who bullied and name called people who were attempting to learn a new job in a new company with new team members. A challenging opportunity that was made worse by favoritism, hidden agendas, and coercion. The Regional director lacked integrity, failed to communicate, and his regional team reflected the lack of leadership in an otherwise good company.

The new team of nursing, pharmacy, and department managers were great!
Good Place to Work
Staff Physical Therapist (Current Employee), Boardman, OHSeptember 29, 2014
A nice place to work. The Boardman campus at St. Elizabeth's is beautiful.
Great place to work with very helpful team.
State Tested Nursing Aide (Former Employee), Canton, OHSeptember 25, 2014
The most highly educated work here. Great teamwork. Best Managers. Bonding with my patients is what I liked most. The death rate is what I liked least.

About Select Specialty Hospital

Learning to walk or talk again is hard enough, so Select Medical wants to make selecting a medical rehabilitation facility easier. – Read more

Select Specialty Hospital Salaries