Selective Insurance Employee Reviews

Excellant Place to Work
Work Comp Medical Only Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2017
I would highly recommend a friend to work here. Management cares and there is a lot of room for career advancement. Benefits and salary are excellent.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
High workloads
Claims (Current Employee) –  NCOctober 10, 2017
Co-workers are nice/friendly. However, work/life balance is not appreciated. High work loads under a difficult environment. Expect long days and weekends
Pros
People
Cons
Processes and procedures
Great Starter Job/Career
Outside Claim Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 4, 2017
This company was my first job out of college giving me an opportunity to ge on the job training in the insurance industry and business. Received great knowledge about insurance which helped me personally and I was able to hone in on my customer service skills. Flexibility as I was on the road and had many opportunities to work with customers face-to-face.
Pros
flexibility. great starting job
Cons
no job advancement
Job Summary
Associate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJAugust 28, 2017
The experience has helped me start my accounting career and has helped me improve in my communication and Excel skills. The work itself was enjoyable however the hours were mostly about 10 hours or more on a daily basis.
A very stressful place to work
Insurance Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 8, 2017
You are paid for 40 hours/salary but the work load takes over 50 hours a week to complete. The management is poor and has no suggestions or provides any assistance for the abundance of work.
Selective
Commercial Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 10, 2017
Initially started with the company as a trainee at the firm's home office in Branchville, NJ. Then worked primarily as an Inland marine Underwriter handling mostly Builder's Risk business. Was then promoted to a Package Underwriter where I handled all lines of business.
Great place to work!
Mailroom & Processing Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJApril 3, 2017
All the employees treated me like family. Best job ever, celebrated every occasion compsny picnics were the best! When I left I was given the best going away party ever! Left with gifts and cash! You guy's rock!
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Healthcare
Overall
Return to Work Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2017
No work life balance. Not the same as what they promise you when you interview. High case load; Outdated computer system. High turnover. Benefits are not the best,
Pros
Yearly bonuses
Cons
no work life balance; heavy case loads, high turnover
Great Place to Work
Investment Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 2, 2017
I was very happy while working at Selective Insurance. The company culture fit my working style and I performed well within the internship program.
Auto Injury claims, UR, Pre-cert, case managment Company
Precertification Nurse/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJOctober 23, 2016
This was a wonderful place to work. I was always learning . We had many educational meetings for CEU'S as well as weekly meetings just to advise us on how we all as a TEAM were doing. Very family oriented company which was wonderful when my children were ill. Praise was always given by the administration for a job well done and great incentives for extra work and projects. Very busy company, but that what was what I thrived on. I loved this job and worked there until the company was sold.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and great werk enviroment. No weekends.
Cons
Company was sold.
Very Enjoyable Workplace
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 26, 2016
There is a lot to do day in and day out, however it is doable. There is a strong sense of camaraderie! I would recommend this workplace for anyone looking to get a work life balance!
Archaic
Associate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJSeptember 7, 2016
Refusal to adapt to a changing professional environment. Management views their employees as property and often expects them to stay late for no real reason other than "just in case we need you later."
Pros
excellent benefits package
Cons
horrible work environment
There is nothing better!
Inside Damage APpraiser (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 14, 2016
I have worked with other insurance companies for over 25 years. I have spoken to a lot of representatives in positions to Clerical to Vice Presidents at Insurance companies. I have never seen more happier employees then those here at Selective. Great place to work, great benefits as well as the coworkers are by far the best in the Industry.
Productive and enjoyable work place
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMay 27, 2016
Work is typically very organized. Everyone has a job that they follow and the management and supervisors are usually very on top of things
Nice place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 18, 2016
Nice place to work as management is very focused, chance to learn, challenging work, latest tools and technologies etc.
Good Company to work for
SENIOR IT PROJECT MANAGER, BILLING (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 4, 2016
I liked working for Selective. Only drawback was that many of the tools utilized are not current versions and caused issues.
Pros
Easy Commute
Cons
Tools
Productive work place
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 31, 2016
Advancement in company.
Family oriented
Enjoyed the office culture.
I loved the group underwriting
Knowledgeable employees and upper management
Average work week 50-60 hours
Pros
Organizational structure
Cons
Healthcare
Employee friendly company
Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2015
I believe that Selective really cares about it's employees. They support several entities outside the company and the employees benefit from this. The thoroughly support movement within the company.
Pros
Company supports the employees
Could be great
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2015
At this time Selective is undergoing a major change and it is making working there a bit more challenging than it would in a normal Selective work setting. I do recommend this company if you have the ability to work longer hours and are a "see's the light at the end of the tunnel" person
Pros
pay
Cons
work/life balance
Family Oriented Company
Claim Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJJuly 1, 2015
At Selective Insurance I was able to contact 300 vendors to update and manage Selective Insurance’s claims vendor list. I was able to attend corporate workshops on project management, leadership, and managing different personalities and generations in the workplace in order to have the ability to work as efficiently and effectively within in a team and succeed as a team; as well as learning traits, characteristics, and work ethics to become a successful leader. Selective offers employees a family friendly atmosphere. Even as an intern at Selective I was able to make an impact for one of their programs.