Selective Insurance Employee Reviews

Auto Injury claims, UR, Pre-cert, case managment Company
Precertification Nurse/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJOctober 23, 2016
This was a wonderful place to work. I was always learning . We had many educational meetings for CEU'S as well as weekly meetings just to advise us on how we all as a TEAM were doing. Very family oriented company which was wonderful when my children were ill. Praise was always given by the administration for a job well done and great incentives for extra work and projects. Very busy company, but that what was what I thrived on. I loved this job and worked there until the company was sold.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and great werk enviroment. No weekends.
Cons
Company was sold.
Overall
Return to Work Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2017
No work life balance. Not the same as what they promise you when you interview. High case load; Outdated computer system. High turnover. Benefits are not the best,
Pros
Yearly bonuses
Cons
no work life balance; heavy case loads, high turnover
Archaic
Associate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJSeptember 7, 2016
Refusal to adapt to a changing professional environment. Management views their employees as property and often expects them to stay late for no real reason other than "just in case we need you later."
Pros
excellent benefits package
Cons
horrible work environment
Great Place to Work
Investment Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 2, 2017
I was very happy while working at Selective Insurance. The company culture fit my working style and I performed well within the internship program.
Very Enjoyable Workplace
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 26, 2016
There is a lot to do day in and day out, however it is doable. There is a strong sense of camaraderie! I would recommend this workplace for anyone looking to get a work life balance!
There is nothing better!
Inside Damage APpraiser (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 14, 2016
I have worked with other insurance companies for over 25 years. I have spoken to a lot of representatives in positions to Clerical to Vice Presidents at Insurance companies. I have never seen more happier employees then those here at Selective. Great place to work, great benefits as well as the coworkers are by far the best in the Industry.
Productive work place
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 31, 2016
Advancement in company.
Family oriented
Enjoyed the office culture.
I loved the group underwriting
Knowledgeable employees and upper management
Average work week 50-60 hours
Pros
Organizational structure
Cons
Healthcare
Productive and enjoyable work place
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMay 27, 2016
Work is typically very organized. Everyone has a job that they follow and the management and supervisors are usually very on top of things
Productive fun place to work with ability for advancement
Senior Personal Lines Marketing Manger (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJJune 29, 2015
Typical day for a field rep consists of about 12 hours of work. Start you day off with your agent appointments and return to your home office to prepare reports for the following day. I learned that no matter how much I give, I am always able to give more as long as I am appreciated. I enjoy sharing ideas with co workers in order to learn how the same job goals can be attained many different ways. The hardest part of my job is knowing when to put the phone/laptop down. In that aspect, I am my worst enemy. However the most enjoyable is meeting new people every day. Being able to help give them ideas on how to make their business more successful.
Pros
Ability to be flexible
Cons
Micromanagement
Family Oriented Company
Claim Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJJuly 1, 2015
At Selective Insurance I was able to contact 300 vendors to update and manage Selective Insurance’s claims vendor list. I was able to attend corporate workshops on project management, leadership, and managing different personalities and generations in the workplace in order to have the ability to work as efficiently and effectively within in a team and succeed as a team; as well as learning traits, characteristics, and work ethics to become a successful leader. Selective offers employees a family friendly atmosphere. Even as an intern at Selective I was able to make an impact for one of their programs.
Good Company to work for
SENIOR IT PROJECT MANAGER, BILLING (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTApril 4, 2016
I liked working for Selective. Only drawback was that many of the tools utilized are not current versions and caused issues.
Pros
Easy Commute
Cons
Tools
Could be great
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2015
At this time Selective is undergoing a major change and it is making working there a bit more challenging than it would in a normal Selective work setting. I do recommend this company if you have the ability to work longer hours and are a "see's the light at the end of the tunnel" person
Pros
pay
Cons
work/life balance
Account Analyst
Account Analyst (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJMay 3, 2012
Managed over 60 accounts, allocating funds, creating relationships, and solving disputes.
Learned general accounting and collections.
Hardest part of the job, collections.
Most enjoyable part of the job, great company, great benefits and opportunities.
Pros
great company with good benefits and opportunities
Many changes since Selective got a new IT CEO
IT Specialist Developer/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTMay 20, 2013
“If you don't have a life and enjoy worrying about your job stability, join the Selective team. Incompetent management” ”
Pros
I liked the people in my team
Cons
Lack of organizational support, low pay. A tangled mess of what was once a great company”
Employee friendly company
Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2015
I believe that Selective really cares about it's employees. They support several entities outside the company and the employees benefit from this. The thoroughly support movement within the company.
Pros
Company supports the employees
current employee
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2015
great mid size company, not a lot of growth upward but continuing education is affordable. yearly merits are given and bonus based upon performance are awarded.
Temporary work
Insurance Bill Reviewer CSR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJJuly 9, 2014
Receive and return phone calls to the medical facilities, adjusters and all other parties requesting the status and/or concerns about the medical bills.

Documenting the calls via the Customer Service Excel spread sheet.
Pros
Cons
Job guaranteed for only 1 year
One of my worst jobs ever
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  LathamAugust 19, 2013
Only lasted a week. Work environment was terrible. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work there.
busy, room for advancement
Sr. Acct. Representative (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJSeptember 6, 2012
busy, enjoyed answering phones, data enry. Worked well with everyone. Everyone was very helpful.