Selfhelp Employee Reviews

Fun working place
Painter (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 7, 2017
Love to paint meet new people an love to talk to others make good money to take care of my family have weekend off to be with my wife an kids help me get alone with show me how to work with good time to get off of work its a friendly place to work at
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Healthcare
Meet new people
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 6, 2017
I have been working there for the past four years. My work responsibilities were, talking to the customer, designing layouts, planting weeding mulching Roc layouts
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not bad
Loving children and caring parents
Work alone (Current Employee) –  my house or otherFebruary 21, 2017
A typical work day would be feeding and playing with the kids. Running around drawing pictures with them. I hate to see there faces when i leave so sad with disappointment until i tell them i am coming back the next day, seeing there little faces light up makes my day.
Pros
Free meals, good pay
Cons
no healthcare
Typical Day
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 24, 2017
Always on your feet. Gotta stay focused and stay on task. Have to stay self motivated. Not to forget hardworking. Also you get to make your own hours and branch out as much as you want.
Ok place to work at
Security guard (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJanuary 12, 2017
Good place but got tried getting screamed at and being out side when the weather was bad.I got tried dealing with people getting drinks and things thrown at me .
Cons
20 minutes
productive and fun work place.
Yard Work (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 4, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was mowing the lawns. I learned how to do good and check my own work and make the clients happy. My co-workers were very hard dependable workers. The hardest part of the job was taking out black berry bushes.
I loved it!
Sitter/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 4, 2017
This was great for me because I had a chance to do everything on my own time. Working for yourself gives you a flexible schedule and time to do things in your own manner at your own pace.
Great job for students
In home child care (Current Employee) –  In homeJanuary 1, 2017
I like the environment. The management was considerate nice and enjoyed my time as an employee there. I got a long with all employees. I like learning new things in the food service area.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun Environment
Contract / Temporary (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 28, 2016
Great place to work, nice co-workers. Good hours, but the pay was low. Long commute, work was not difficult, but every job has good days and bad days!
productive place. Good colleagues
Primary Caregiver-/ non clinical (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 22, 2016
Like to work in challenging environment. Guidance and knowledge updates needed. Team work is best. Friendly team mates are required.
Pros
snacks good plus coffee
Cons
Short breaks important
Co workers
House Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 12, 2016
be on time to work, have open availability, be a team player, always have a positive attitude. listen to what others are asking of you. cleanliness is a key factor when entering someones home
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
no healthcare
i worked for my self
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 29, 2016
As an in home caregiver, I believe I did a really good job. I had no exp. so I managed to learn how to do it all on my own. I never received any complaints and I loved doing my job. Taking care of people gives me a lot of joy and I love helping people .
Working the elderly was enjoyable
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2016
Long working hours, the management was difficult to work with however working with the population was satisfying and enjoyable. The benefits was good.
Productive and fun work place with room for growth
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2016
We get breakfast before we start,we drive to stores and business developments,greeting many ppl with total courtesy and professionalism,management is done with consideration and fairness,coworkers are hard working and cooperative,the hardest part is actually going to the job,the most enjoyable part of the day is getting paid daily
Pros
Free lunches, fair employer, paid daily or weekly
Cons
Healthcare
Just Shady.
n/a (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 19, 2016
Unstable organization. Managers are incompetent and paranoid because of pressure to improve clientele. Facilities are dirty. But they do stick with regular work hours...
Roofing (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSOctober 11, 2016
Repaired roofs, and clean up, this job taught me a lot about having balance and safety. Our team only consisted of three men didn't have a lot of work due to being new to this kind of work. The heat was a factor some days but we got the job done in the time frame we provided everyone was pleased.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Not a lots of jobs
Worst job experience of my life
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
I am disappointed to say this an awful workplace. The job itself is good if you are able to handle the fast-paced environment (a plus for me). HOWEVER, the management and supervisors are a deal-breaker and have pushed many employees to quit.

We, as an agency, are so understaffed that we are EXTREMELY overworked (to the point where management demand we do illegal actions to cover up how overworked we are)--- In a typical month, a case manager might log 160 or so hours. Last month, I logged over 320 hours.--- I feel bad for any new-hires in the agency because they have a huge case load thrown on to them with little training and high expectations. Our last 3 new-hire case managers quit within 1 month. I was lucky to ease into training when they weren't so desperate for case managers.

As per my job description, I conduct home visits with clients. The situations I am put into are dangerous and despite my expressions of being uncomfortable with seeing particular clients, I am forced to do so anyway. My supervisor refuses to adopt the role of "case manager", so I have been unofficially assigned all of the cases of my colleagues who quit. I am officially assigned 67 cases, however I have taken on over 100 as I am the only case manager left under this supervisor.

This was an excellent job when I first began, but Selfhelp is going down hill fast and I advise you to stay away. Selfhelp is THE lowest-paying case management agency for bachelor and masters degree social workers but are faced with a fast-growing number of high-intensity cases.
Other agencies like SNAP, queens
  more... community house, NY Foundation, do similar work for much greater pay. Think before you apply.  less
Pros
Predictable 9-5 office hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
Extremely overworked, not enough pay
It was very well explained
Babysitter and Nanny (Current Employee) –  Virgin IslandsSeptember 29, 2016
It was a great day working ,enjoy the rest of the day.I enjoy talking to my coworkers,need any help is being asked, understanding my work an how it is done,and completed. .
Pros
Cons
Eat something that will energize my body and soul
Very stressful work place, pay is very low don't get any benefits.
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 20, 2016
Good start and practice for the medical field. I was able to adjust my hours so that I can go back to school was able to take time off but the downside of it you don't get paid for it. No sick days off you have to go to work even though you are sick just to get pay for the day.
Pros
Get to study for my classes.
Cons
Hardly get to eat my lunch because of my patient's illness.
Helpful Learning environment
Remodeling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 1, 2016
I enjoyed being able to be hands on and constantly being busy. This has been a fun opportunity for me to learn new and helpful things that will potentially help me in the future.
Pros
Fast pase
Cons
Weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selfhelp. Our community is ready to answer.